Greetings all my fellow Crackberrians!

I have plans to travel to Japan at the end of April to May, and hoping someone else has successfully, in the past used a Japanese SIM card that works with an unlocked BlackBerry Z30 version STA100-5

If so, what Telco and where did you purchase it?
    I'm traveling through Tokyo onto Osaka.

Thanks All for any input.

Post via my BlackBerry Z10!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-02-15 01:28 AM
    Can't really assist with the question sorry but I wanted say........LUCKY! I'd love to go to Japan!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    FF22, cdnynot and anon(8908445) like this.
    03-02-15 06:39 AM
    Have a lot of fun. Japan is awesome. I lived there for a month while my wife and I backpacked across Asia for a year. Fantastic people and the food is sensational.

As for SIM cards, good luck with that. Unless something changed, foreigners cannot get a SIM card without being locked into a contract. They do offer cell phone rentals with Data Plans and I would look into that, but be warned that it is Extremely EXPENSIVE! About $90 a month roughly.

But it will be worth it because forget, and I mean FORGET about free Wifi. Nowhere. And asking for a password when you have to is difficult. The only free Wifi you will find anywhere is a Starbucks (but only 30 minutes) or the Apple Store. Amusingly, you will literally see hundreds of people crowd "in front" of the Apple store to use the free Wifi, but few people actually go in! Hahaha!

Don't let this sound like Japan will not be fun. It is. A bit challenging, but I want to go back again and friends that have gone after my recommendation have ached to go back. You will too.

Before you go however, download the Train Maps and study them. They are in English on the Internet, but not a lot of signs in English.

A good strategy would also be to use the WILLER Express to travel around. Cheapest and best way to get around.

Enjoy and have so much fun!! I am envious. Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and cdnynot like this.
    03-02-15 07:00 AM
    There is a thread about using BB phones in Japan. I don't recall if it is in the Z10 forum or maybe even a 9930 forum. I don't know how wide a result you will hit is you search for either JAPAN or JAPANESE.

I'm also jealous (I have sushi once a week) but will have to settle for 3 weeks in France this summer.
    cdnynot likes this.
    03-02-15 08:53 AM
    There is a thread about using BB phones in Japan. I don't recall if it is in the Z10 forum or maybe even a 9930 forum. I don't know how wide a result you will hit is you search for either JAPAN or JAPANESE.

I'm also jealous (I have sushi once a week) but will have to settle for 3 weeks in France this summer.
    I heard that France is beautiful too, are you heading to the North or South?
    A good friend is getting married, so I thought I would tag along since I'm in the wedding party =)
    I wasn't to sure about SIM compatibility in Japan, with my beloved Z30, and wanted confirmation as well as a Telco to go with for Japan.
    I know they have free WiFi at places, but I don't want to rely on free
    03-02-15 12:21 PM
    I heard that France is beautiful too, are you heading to the North or South?
    A good friend is getting married, so I thought I would tag along since I'm in the wedding party =)
    I wasn't to sure about SIM compatibility in Japan, with my beloved Z30, and wanted confirmation as well as a Telco to go with for Japan.
    I know they have free WiFi at places, but I don't want to rely on free
    Well, Paris for a bit less than a week and the the French Alps near Geneva and Chamonix for two weeks.

Should be fun. I may also look for a local sim, Verizon's rate are just a TAD HIGH! Possibly as much as the plane fare!
    03-02-15 03:05 PM
    Check the rental sim cards by OCN Mobile one (a Docomo company). They work with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    cdnynot likes this.
    03-05-15 05:19 AM
    Try this link for the prepaid Sims from OCN.
    http://service.ocn.ne.jp/mobile/one/.../en/index.html

Posted via CB10 from Passport
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-15 05:22 AM
    My better half went to the Philippines in January she took her unlocked Z10 as well did her Daughter and her son took his IPhone 5s with them and they all purchased a prepaid sim cards with no issues what so ever I'm sure Japan will have the same or better.

On my reliable Z30 leaked 10.3.1.1581
    FF22 likes this.
    03-05-15 05:54 AM
    Too bad i still can't find a map/gps dedicated to foot traffic. That would be perfect for asia.
    03-05-15 07:39 PM
    Download Android Google Maps App and hover over the area you want then type OKGOOGLE and tada! A cached footmap.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:13 PM
    My better half went to the Philippines in January she took her unlocked Z10 as well did her Daughter and her son took his IPhone 5s with them and they all purchased a prepaid sim cards with no issues what so ever I'm sure Japan will have the same or better.

On my reliable Z30 leaked 10.3.1.1581
    Unfortunately that is not true. When I go to thailand its no problem finding a company that can just sell me a prepaid sim card for really cheap and be done with it, however, I've been living in Japan for the past 3 years and have been all over pacific asia, philippines, thailand, etc..and they are all wayyyy different then japan when it comes to mobile communications. I'm not sure why but japan is the dumbest/most gridlocked/hard-to-crack/impossible to find loopholes--country on this side of the world when it comes to mobile devices. I'm still trying to find a company that will give me a prepaid sim card for my unlocked Passport. I havent recieved it in the mail yet but hopefully in the next week I will and I can give everyone more of an idea of what has to be done. Right now I have a contract with a company called AU (KDDI), they have already informed me they can't help me with jack****...except make me pay some fee to get out of my contract early...I've talked to Docomo about prepaid sim cards but I dont think the Japanese lady I talked to knew much english and basically just said no to every question I asked her. The only place I've seen a glimpse of light is at Softbank. The lady there told me they do have prepaid sim cards (don't know if you still have to be on contract...which kinda negates the whole prepaid concept, but its definitely possible that something was lost in translation during our convo) anyways she told me when I get the passport to bring it in and she will try it for me to see if they can get anything to work. I'm going to a different docomo as well once I get the phone and see what they say. I will update when all is figured out....hopefully figured out in a positive manner...
    05-24-15 03:46 AM