To avoid a thread high jack, I thought I would start a new thread on this topic.

We have been informed from many sources that the two small holes below the volume keys are actually noise cancelling mics.

I fail to understand how this can be the case. When you are on a call using your right hand, you are actually covering up these two holes with your hand, rendering the so called mics to be inoperable.

Can anyone expand on this issue and perhaps give an explanation that makes logical sense.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    10-08-15 07:09 PM
    There are four mics, three are Noise Canceling.
    Two NC at the right side holes. (I'm right handed but always hold the phone left handed when not on speaker phone and have it to me ear.)
    Third NC mic at earpiece.
    Normal forth mic at normal spot, bottom.
    10-08-15 07:28 PM
    There are four mics, three are Noise Canceling.
    Two NC at the right side holes. (I'm right handed but always hold the phone left handed when not on speaker phone and have it to me ear.)
    Third NC mic at earpiece.
    Normal forth mic at normal spot, bottom.
    You may well use your left hand when on a call but the majority of the world's population are right handed and will automatically use their right hand.

This just does not make any sense.

10-08-15 07:33 PM
    Perhaps the BlackBerry design engineers were on the funny fags when they put the Z30 together?

Why didn't they put those two mics on the top or the bottom of the device?

10-08-15 07:36 PM
    Just remember those of us that are left handed are the only ones in our right minds! : ) They work great for me!
    10-08-15 08:10 PM
    I'm extremely pleased for you Ultra. You still don't explain the reasoning here though.

10-08-15 08:14 PM
    I guess I can imagine a Right handed person holding the phone with their left hand in order to be able use pen and paper with their right hand.

Now I'm left handed so I don't count!!!
    pic32ard likes this.
    10-08-15 08:22 PM
    I'm extremely pleased for you Ultra. You still don't explain the reasoning here though.

Reasoning - maybe there was no room in the design for them elsewhere?
    10-08-15 08:23 PM
    I'm right handed and I don't cover the mics when I hold the phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 08:25 PM
    You may well use your left hand when on a call but the majority of the world's population are right handed and will automatically use their right hand.

If you hold your phone like a normal human, and not like Thor holding his hammer, then there's no problem with the noise cancelling mics.

Rock'n the awesome Z30 STA100-5 on 10.3.2.2474
    10-08-15 08:59 PM
    If you hold your phone like a normal human, and not like Thor holding his hammer, then there's no problem with the noise cancelling mics.

Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 09:48 PM
    Noise cancellation or not, wish more people had phones to use the HD call option with.
    10-08-15 11:47 PM
    I thought it was more for when you were using speakerphone...
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    10-09-15 12:40 AM

On reflection, maybe your correct. It would not be a problem for girls.

10-09-15 04:04 AM
    I thought it was more for when you were using speakerphone...
    Very constructive answer. Hadn't thought of it like that.

Thanks for your input.

10-09-15 04:35 AM

Hi, I'm right handed and I hold the phone with my left hand to my left ear when I'm on a call. This allows me to use my right hand to write down notes.

I also use a bluetooth earpiece in my left ear when I want a hands-free option so I can use both hands to type on the computer.

I also use a gaming headset in my left ear when I'm playing games online.

Back in the day before the laws made it illegal, I would hold the phone with my left hand to my left ear while driving so I could shift gears with my right hand.

So please, do not speak on my behalf. Your experience may be to "automatically" use your right hand but my experience is to use my left hand and based on my experiences it would appear that the world's population would automatically use their left hand. Does that make me right? Or make my assumption right? No. It just means that I use my left hand to hold the phone. Everyone is different and unique so please do not base your generalizations on yourself.

Posted via CB10
    coldfir3 likes this.
    10-09-15 05:13 AM

Perhaps, but BlackBerry might be thinking like I do in that I always take calls with my left hand and use my phone one-handed with my left hand so that my right hand is free to do things like take notes or drink a coffee or whatever. All about productivity ;-)

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    HUD199 likes this.
    10-09-15 05:42 AM
    Hi, I'm right handed and I hold the phone with my left hand to my left ear when I'm on a call. This allows me to use my right hand to write down notes.

I also use a bluetooth earpiece in my left ear when I want a hands-free option so I can use both hands to type on the computer.

I also use a gaming headset in my left ear when I'm playing games online.

Back in the day before the laws made it illegal, I would hold the phone with my left hand to my left ear while driving so I could shift gears with my right hand.

So please, do not speak on my behalf. Your experience may be to "automatically" use your right hand but my experience is to use my left hand and based on my experiences it would appear that the world's population would automatically use their left hand. Does that make me right? Or make my assumption right? No. It just means that I use my left hand to hold the phone. Everyone is different and unique so please do not base your generalizations on yourself.

Posted via CB10
    No need to go into a tiz mate.

It was quite a simple question regarding the mics.

P.S. You obviously drive on the wrong side of the road.

10-09-15 05:43 AM
    Perhaps, but BlackBerry might be thinking like I do in that I always take calls with my left hand and use my phone one-handed with my left hand so that my right hand is free to do things like take notes or drink a coffee or whatever. All about productivity ;-)

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Like F2, you do have a valid point there. Nice one.

10-09-15 06:09 AM
    Aren't the noise cancelling mics meant to work when on speakerphone?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 06:33 AM
    Aren't the noise cancelling mics meant to work when on speakerphone?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, this has already been suggested. Maybe so.

10-09-15 06:37 AM
    Hmm.. now this gets me thinking. Where are the quad microphone/noise cancelling mics on the passport.

Is it placed in a place where it functions properly without my hands covering it during a call... Because unlike the Z30 the BlackBerry Passport apparently has the blackberry natural sound technology working on regular network calls as well (ofcourse its benefits can only be had between 2 passports on a call), unlike the z30 where natural sound works only on speaker mode between two z30's or a passport on bbm video call while on speakerphone.
    10-09-15 12:55 PM
    Hmm.. now this gets me thinking. Where are the quad microphone/noise cancelling mics on the passport.

Is it placed in a place where it functions properly without my hands covering it during a call... Because unlike the Z30 the BlackBerry Passport apparently has the blackberry natural sound technology working on regular network calls as well (ofcourse its benefits can only be had between 2 passports on a call), unlike the z30 where natural sound works only on speaker mode between two z30's or a passport on bbm video call while on speakerphone.
    One mic near the earpiece, compensation mic.
    Two mics on either side of the camera, stereo recording and NC.
    One at the normal spot, bottom.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ocated-972067/
    valer466 likes this.
    10-09-15 01:10 PM
    So it would appear thus far that the consensus of opinion points to the fact that these noise cancelling mics are only operable when speaker phone is activated.

I must admit that it does make sense.

10-09-15 08:46 PM
    Are those noise canceling microphones actually helpful?
    I never used my Z30 for recording videos but the call quality for the device does seem to be pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 09:03 PM
33 12