Hi, I tried Internet tethering on my BlackBerry z30, to my surprise it allows only mobile data to be shared. It did not share the WiFi it's receiving to my pc through USB. ! Is it true or am I doin it wrong.!
    Is there any other option to tether the WiFi from my z30
    To my pc via USB.! Because every time I switch on tether it asking me to switch on mobile data.!

On a crappy android phone it's as simple as switch on tether and it will share wifi.!
    Ps
    I do not have the small wifi thingy for my pc. Ordered one ,should be arriving soon.!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 11:09 PM
    Hmm..I guess it must be a tough nut to crack..!well thanks anyways.!

Posted via CB10
    04-30-16 11:41 PM
    I use my z30 for WiFi on my PC all the time.
    Go into settings Networks , Mobile Hotspot and turn on .

Posted by Jerbru
    05-01-16 06:40 AM
    Hi, I tried Internet tethering on my BlackBerry z30, to my surprise it allows only mobile data to be shared. It did not share the WiFi it's receiving to my pc through USB. ! Is it true or am I doin it wrong.!
    Is there any other option to tether the WiFi from my z30
    To my pc via USB.! Because every time I switch on tether it asking me to switch on mobile data.!

On a crappy android phone it's as simple as switch on tether and it will share wifi.!
    Ps
    I do not have the small wifi thingy for my pc. Ordered one ,should be arriving soon.!

Posted via CB10
    wait, so your PC has no wifi card and you want to be able to connect to wifi through your phone?

seems like an odd situation. it'd be easier and probably better to buy one of those very tiny wifi dongles. save a lot of power/battery life.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 04:19 PM
    wait, so your PC has no wifi card and you want to be able to connect to wifi through your phone?

seems like an odd situation. it'd be easier and probably better to buy one of those very tiny wifi dongles. save a lot of power/battery life.

Posted via CB10
    It is a unique scenario, not many use cases for myself but it will definitely help some. The s7 has this feature.

It's good when for example you go to hotel and they only let you connect 1 device through wifi, and what you do is connect the s7 to the hotel wifi, then turn on s7 hotshot and share the wifi, then you connect multiple devices to s7 hotshot and get Internet on multiple devices when only paying for 1 connection.

Or it works if you travel with a chromecast and need to connect to wifi in a hotel, you connect your s7 to hotel wifi, turn on hotshot, connect chromecast to your s7 hotshot rather than hotel wifi because hotel wifi usually has Web sign in page that the chromecast cannot access.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    bajaa likes this.
    05-01-16 04:24 PM
    Thanks a lot. My wifi dingle thingy should be arriving by. Today or tomorrow.Till then I guess I have to wait..

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 11:47 PM
    I use the z30 and my mac on wifi. Its work 100%.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 09:38 PM
    It is a unique scenario, not many use cases for myself but it will definitely help some. The s7 has this feature.

It's good when for example you go to hotel and they only let you connect 1 device through wifi, and what you do is connect the s7 to the hotel wifi, then turn on s7 hotshot and share the wifi, then you connect multiple devices to s7 hotshot and get Internet on multiple devices when only paying for 1 connection.

Or it works if you travel with a chromecast and need to connect to wifi in a hotel, you connect your s7 to hotel wifi, turn on hotshot, connect chromecast to your s7 hotshot rather than hotel wifi because hotel wifi usually has Web sign in page that the chromecast cannot access.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Good example. Makes sense for a bunch of uses now, especially for travelers...and businessmen.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-16 07:11 AM
    It sounds to me like you are trying to do this incorrectly.
    On my Classic there are TWO different options:
    1. Wifi HOTSPOT - this allows the phone to act as a wi-fi transmitter and can hook multiple devices. The devices being hooked up must have wifi cards.
    2. Internet TETHERING - this is NOT a wifi hotspot - it uses BLUETOOTH to transmit. The phone still acts as the transmitter, but it has to connect to the other device via BLUETOOTH. So, if you are trying to have your laptop hook to the Internet via this then you have to have the laptop's bluetooth turned on and discoverable.

I have used both methods successfully to tie an iPad to the Internet via my phone.

Note that your wireless data plan may have to have internet tethering explicitly enabled - my carrier charges extra for this.
    bajaa likes this.
    05-05-16 10:50 AM
    He wants to pass along his Wifi through his BlackBerry to his Laptop. No carrier data, just on-site wifi.

Posted via CB10
    bajaa likes this.
    05-05-16 08:51 PM
    He wants to pass along his Wifi through his BlackBerry to his Laptop. No carrier data, just on-site wifi.

Posted via CB10
    Finally..! Thanks a lot u simplified my story...tats wat I want..i tried to share the WiFi tat my z30 was receiving to my pc.. through the tethering by Bluetooth or usb.
    When I switch on tether, Z30 is asking me to turn on Data services ( which I don't want).because carriers will charge me.. I want it to share just the WiFi my z30 is receiving through USB or bluetooth.

I got my wifi dongle for pc...when I try to tether it still asks me to switch on the data services.! : (

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 02:43 AM
    It sounds to me like you are trying to do this incorrectly.
    On my Classic there are TWO different options:
    1. Wifi HOTSPOT - this allows the phone to act as a wi-fi transmitter and can hook multiple devices. The devices being hooked up must have wifi cards.
    2. Internet TETHERING - this is NOT a wifi hotspot - it uses BLUETOOTH to transmit. The phone still acts as the transmitter, but it has to connect to the other device via BLUETOOTH. So, if you are trying to have your laptop hook to the Internet via this then you have to have the laptop's bluetooth turned on and discoverable.

I have used both methods successfully to tie an iPad to the Internet via my phone.

Note that your wireless data plan may have to have internet tethering explicitly enabled - my carrier charges extra for this.
    Thanks.! I am trying the 2 nd method u mentioned.when I do my z30 is asking me to enable data services.! I am just wondering y does it need data services turned on to tether, instead just share the WiFi it's receiving..through tether.to my pc.
    As I said earlier on Android it's as simple as put a check mark on ". Teather through USB or bluetooth" tats it..then phone will automatically share the WiFi it's receiving to any device.!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 02:57 AM
    You carrier will only charge you if Mobile Network is turned on and you access data/minutes through it.
    You can leave Data Services on if you have Mobile Network off, then your device will only use WiFi (if on) and/or Bluetooth (if on) for data.

That ability to use your Z30 as a Hotspot is a setting that the carrier can and normally does control, by default your carrier has to allow it. Most carriers charge you for that feature also.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    05-06-16 08:14 AM
    Finally..! Thanks a lot u simplified my story...tats wat I want..i tried to share the WiFi tat my z30 was receiving to my pc.. through the tethering by Bluetooth or usb.
    When I switch on tether, Z30 is asking me to turn on Data services ( which I don't want).because carriers will charge me.. I want it to share just the WiFi my z30 is receiving through USB or bluetooth.

I got my wifi dongle for pc...when I try to tether it still asks me to switch on the data services.! : (

Posted via CB10
    The dongle will allow your PC to grab a wifi signal.

Forget about tethering right now, as what you're trying to do cannot be done with BB10. Take the phone out of the entire equation. If the answer is simply wifi for your PC, that is.

Is there any specific reason you want to pass-through your home or public wifi on to your PC? The dongle cuts out the middle man, and it'll be way faster for it.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 12:16 PM
    Well I have three pc's.! One is old.with no Internet connection to it. For one of th pc's I just bought a wifi dongle and the other has the Internet connection itself.
    So for the old pc ( which I rarely use )instead of buying a wifi dongle I thought may be I could share the WiFi through my z30 via usb or bluetooth.!
    I usually run 2 pc's most of the time ( for network rendering and shared renders) so I could not use the wifi dongle for the third pc.!
    I guess I may have to buy another wifi dongle.!
    Anyways Thanks a lot guys.!

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 03:02 AM