Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By OTCHRussell
  • 1 Post By OTCHRussell
  • 1 Post By OTCHRussell
  • 1 Post By OTCHRussell
  • 1 Post By Ken Rowland
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Stuck SIM card

Happy New year everyone.

I have a problem that I can't solve and at&t won't help with on my Z30. I was testing a Passport for work and got a new SIM for it. When I had to turn in the Passport I went to at&t to get a SIM for the Z30. The sales person took it in back and after a few minutes came back and my Z30 was functional.

Flash to today. My son wants to use the Z30 to see if he likes it better than the iPhone, but I can not get the SIM out of it. After looking at the SIM as while it is in the phone it looks like at&t used some kind of adapter to insert the smaller SIM into the Z30. I took it back to at&t, but they will not help with it after talking to the manager and kicking is as high as I can at the death star. The official stance is that because they do not sell the Z30 they are not obligated to help fix the situation even though they caused it.

The question I have.. Is there a way to crack open the Z30 and remove the SIM or a super secret way to "force" remove the SIM? I need to hear suggestions other than go back to at&t, I beat that horse to death,

Thanks for any responses on this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The AT&T guy most likely used an adapter tray.
    The SIM card has a spring behind it to help push it out when pushed in.
    I would try pushing in the SIM card and release it quickly, sling shooting it out of the phone.

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be really careful at this point. If it isn't necessary to take it out just leave it if it's working cause you can break one of the contacts then you'd really be screwed. The messed up part is that att could have just gave you a measly sim card cheap bums

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ***** at AT&T had no reason to use anything to put the sim card in. He didn't know how to do it and instead of asking he forced it in. I would be acting a fool in that store

Posted via My Gorgeous white Z30
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks for the responses to this. I ended up buying the proper screw driver and loosened the two screws closest to the SIM slot and the thing popped right out. I tightened them down again and it was stuck. Loosened them and it popped out, tightened them... you get the picture.

It was an adapter and I plan on taking it back to at&t and have them replace it with the proper SIM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they don't need to use an adapter though. That's the thing.

CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea with getting the screwdriver for it because If you start pulling on that thing it would have been bad. No more sim adapters for you.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Master

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nickysoroyal View Post
    But they don't need to use an adapter though. That's the thing.

Yes they do. Passport uses nano-SIM, Z30 uses micro. If you want to use the same SIM in both, you need a nano-SIM adapter. The adapter makes the card slightly thicker and harder to slide in and out.

I messed up my SIM tray by not being careful. Hooked a contact pin and yanked it out.. the horror when you see shards of metal falling out of your phone!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a sim adapter in my Z30 and have never had an issue removing it. Made by Noosy I believe. Perhaps there's some slight variances between adapters from different companies?? Glad you found a way to remove it without damaging the phone and totally agree with previous posts about no longer using an adapter. Maybe I've just been lucky so far. Thanks for posting your removal fix. Will keep this in mind if I ever have an issue.
    CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta Be very careful. I've seen a z30 rendered useless with one of those adapters. The pins get bent on the motherboard and it's toast. Granted it can still be a wifi device. But you get the idea.

Powered by Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you use a good adapter it is safe. I do it regularly.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you VERY much Sir (meatball66),
    You are a life saver.
    I got a New BB z30 & the sim got stuck.
    I thought it was an issue with the device and might have destroyed it too by tugging & pulling it badly.
    Fortunately my store was kind enough to replace it with a new one as we could not decide if the SIM slot was already damaged.
    So the new one.. too gets stuck.
    This time i was cautious & did research on the internet.
    As usual Crackberry comes to rescue & sir thanks to you,
    I had a screwdriver set handy, followed Ur advice & viola.
    Now i am swearing to myself to get a new SIM card & not use an 'adapter'...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I ruined my Z30!! I was using an adapter for a nano SIM and haven't had a problem. Now I put the Nano in the Dtek50.
    Like a jerk, I figured I could store the adapter in the phone. WRONG!! Now it's stuck.

What size star screwdriver do I have to buy to open the phone? I hope it's not broken. If so, I guess I have officially switched to the Dtek50!!!

BB 9000 > Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic> Dtek50
    CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTCHRussell View Post
    I guess I ruined my Z30!! I was using an adapter for a nano SIM and haven't had a problem. Now I put the Nano in the Dtek50.
    Like a jerk, I figured I could store the adapter in the phone. WRONG!! Now it's stuck.

What size star screwdriver do I have to buy to open the phone? I hope it's not broken. If so, I guess I have officially switched to the Dtek50!!!

T5 Torx
    Unless you tried to force the adapter out, it probably hasn't damaged the contact pins in the SIM tray on the mainboard.
    You may be able to slide a thin ridged piece of plastic in between the adapter and the pins, which would then act to compress the pins enough to let the adapter to slide pass them.
    In between the adapter and the mainboard.
    Use something like the clear plastic that makes up a blister pack for display.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaFoxGrey View Post
    T5 Torx
    Unless you tried to force the adapter out, it probably hasn't damaged the contact pins in the SIM tray on the mainboard.
    You may be able to slide a thin ridged piece of plastic in between the adapter and the pins, which would then act to compress the pins enough to let the adapter to slide pass them.
    In between the adapter and the mainboard.
    Use something like the clear plastic that makes up a blister pack for display.
    Thanks. I thought of doing that, but wasn't sure if I should. I did order a set of Torx all sizes, but would prefer not to take the phone apart. I will try that when I get home. I'll let you know if I succeed.

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic
    CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I thought of doing that, but wasn't sure if I should. I did order a set of Torx all sizes, but would prefer not to take the phone apart. I will try that when I get home. I'll let you know if I succeed.

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic
    If you live in the states, Home Depot sells a Husky brand driver + bit set:
    Husky 8-in-1 Precision Torx Screwdriver Set-70381H - The Home Depot

For the piece of plastic trick, you need to cut a strip the width of the SIM tray. So when you start to work it in between the adapter and contacts, it will act like a "lid" over the "hole" in the adapter where the tiny SIM would sit. This way when you start to remove the adapter, the "lid" will let it slip past the contacts.
    Whatever you use, it needs to be thin enough to slip past the adapter and mainboard but also ridged enough to prevent the contact pins from piercing it.
    Make sure you insert it to the full length of the SIM tray.

The contact are arranged sorta like hooks and face away from the outside end of the SIM tray. As a SIM is uniform across it's surface, the hooks can't dig in and the SIM can slide both ways across them.
    But as the adapter has a big hole it in, it lets the hooks drop into the hole and then dig into the edges as you try to pull it out. The same thing can happen even if there is a SIM in the adapter, if there is even a slight gap between it and the SIM.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 01-09-17 at 07:06 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried the plastic trick. I ALMOST got it out. It was stuck by one corner and crooked. When I tried to straighten it, it got sucked back in. Worked on it for a long time but couldn't get it.
    I ordered the torx from Amazon. Should come today. I'm hoping if I loosen it a little bit I will have more room to maneuver the plastic.
    One good thing. Since I can't use my beloved Z30, I am forced to learn the Dtek50!! LOL. Getting to like it!!
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=DaFoxGrey;12725120]If you live in the states, Home Depot sells a Husky brand driver + bit set:
    Husky 8-in-1 Precision Torx Screwdriver Set-70381H - The Home Depot

For the piece of plastic trick, you need to cut a strip the width of the SIM tray. So when you start to work it in between the adapter and contacts, it will act like a "lid" over the "hole" in the adapter where the tiny SIM would sit. This way when you start to remove the adapter, the "lid" will let it slip past the contacts.
    Whatever you use, it needs to be thin enough to slip past the adapter and mainboard but also ridged enough to prevent the contact pins from piercing it.
    Make sure you insert it to the full length of the SIM tray.

The contact are arranged sorta like hooks and face away from the outside end of the SIM tray. As a SIM is uniform across it's surface, the hooks can't dig in and the SIM can slide both ways across them.
    But as the adapter has a big hole it in, it lets the hooks drop into the hole and then dig into the edges as you try to pull it out. The same thing can happen even if there is a SIM in the adapter, if there is even a slight gap between it and the SIM.[/QUOscrews,

YAY!! So happy!! Thanks!!!
    I put the plastic thingy in, then, with my new Torx screwdriver , loosened 3 screws, and gently slid the adapter out. Whew!! I hope all that fussing around didn't break something.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY!! So happy!! Thanks!!!
    I put the plastic thingy in, then, with my new Torx screwdriver , loosened 3 screws, and gently slid the adapter out. Whew!! I hope all that fussing around didn't break something.
    Glad to have helped.
    Next thing to do is check to make sure the SIM tray in undamaged.
    If possible, obtain a functional SIM that is the correct type for the Z30 slot, see if it is read OK.

Reason I suggest a correct size, instead of the small size + adapter, is that if there is any slight damage to the pins, they are more likely to dig into the gaps inside of the adapter and basically cause the same issue all over again, but worst.
    It is extremely hard to use the plastic trick to get the pins retracted if they are already stuck in a gap.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaFoxGrey View Post
    Glad to have helped.
    Next thing to do is check to make sure the SIM tray in undamaged.
    If possible, obtain a functional SIM that is the correct type for the Z30 slot, see if it is read OK.

Reason I suggest a correct size, instead of the small size + adapter, is that if there is any slight damage to the pins, they are more likely to dig into the gaps inside of the adapter and basically cause the same issue all over again, but worst.
    It is extremely hard to use the plastic trick to get the pins retracted if they are already stuck in a gap.
    Unfortunately I have 2 nano SIMs, no micro SIMs. Right now my backup SIM is in my Z10 with an adapter. What I probably should do is ask AT&T for a new micro SIM for the Z10. Then I can try that in the Z30. No more adapters for me!!!
    Thanks again for your help.

DaFoxGrey likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,647 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be my last post on this topic. Went to AT&T today. Got a new micro SIM. Put it in my poor little Z30..... It worked!!
    All fixed!! Thanks again.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just Happened to Me

I was attempting to prepare my old Z30 so that my daughter could use it. I screwed up, forgetting that the Z30 uses a micro-sim and I inserted the nano-sim from an iPhone.
    Now it is stuck in there. Do I just follow the same procedure, using a mini-Torx screwdriver, loosening the screws by the sim card slot and see if I can release it?
    Is this the correct thing to try?

Your thoughts? Need Help Please!
    CrackBerry Genius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowland View Post
    I was attempting to prepare my old Z30 so that my daughter could use it. I screwed up, forgetting that the Z30 uses a micro-sim and I inserted the nano-sim from an iPhone.
    Now it is stuck in there. Do I just follow the same procedure, using a mini-Torx screwdriver, loosening the screws by the sim card slot and see if I can release it?
    Is this the correct thing to try?

Your thoughts? Need Help Please!
    Use the instructions I posted.
    Use the plastic to work in between the SIM and pins, you may have to use a non-metal pick to help work the SIM out
    CrackBerry Newbie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It worked, thank you! Inserted the new micro-sim and it works perfectly. Happy 14 year old to boot.

Thanks DaFoxGrey!
    DaFoxGrey likes this.