First off - I don't have any insider info on this, but two things have been bugging me.

A) Why does A30 have a removable backplate when it reportedly has a sealed battery? I've read the berryreview speculation and none of those reasons make sense. Bbry has never been into device backpanel customization, nor should they care if you scratch the thing.

B) Why is the Verizon version reportedly thicker? It really makes little sense they would make significant changes internally which would increase thickness 20% for a single telco.

I think it is going to be a wireless charging option. That is similar to what Nokia is doing on their phones, making you buy an accessory battery door which enables wireless charging. I am guessing Verizon is making that the standard backpanel, but the others are making it an option. It makes some sense:
    * bbry has been part of the QI wireless charging standards body since 2009 but has never released a supporting phone.
    * wireless charging is becoming much more prevalent (particularly with winpho competitor Nokia which now offers it on most of their mid-high range phones as option)
    * this would make the oem dock accessory story much better after the z10//q10 non-release debacle (truth is, nobody really wants the physical usb/hdmi connection - miracast makes one unnecessary and Qi makes the other)

Any thoughts?
    08-06-13 07:54 PM
    the backplate hides the sd and sim card. This allows for less ports on the sides of the device

CDMA devices always seem to get the short end of the stick because they are CDMA. So that could be why its thicker
    00stryder likes this.
    08-06-13 08:20 PM
    The higher end Lumias have built in wireless charging and don't require an extra battery door. Of course they don't have any battery doors

That would be quite an interesting development as the faithful - in January and February - poked fun at those silly Windows Phone 8s with wireless charging (that, of course, they have never seen and no one ever uses).

I kind of doubt it, but it would be interesting.
    08-06-13 08:28 PM
    Boosh - I'm awesome. Wireless Power Consortium listing pegs BlackBerry Z30 as supporting Qi wireless charging | CrackBerry.com

I hadn't seen a previous BB10 device thicker for Verizon (chipset was different so they usually had a few other specs different, but not dimensions).
    08-13-13 11:14 AM
    the backplate hides the sd and sim card. This allows for less ports on the sides of the device
    Also allows hiding of the technical (fcc) info to keep a clean back plate.
    08-13-13 11:43 AM
    Also allows hiding of the technical (fcc) info to keep a clean back plate.
    Only to be ruined with excessive Verizon branding. Luckily it has a Q10 like back where the branding rubs right off.
    08-15-13 05:58 AM
    back cover with latch on the Z30 is better than having to pry it open on the Z10.
    08-15-13 01:04 PM
    hi friends recently i bought sony xperia mobile and i want to purchase wireless charger and my friend suggest me Mobile Gadget City - Call Us For All Gadget Needs but i am little bit confused which one is best please suggest me....
    12-11-13 05:45 AM
    back cover with latch on the Z30 is better than having to pry it open on the Z10.
    Uh, it does have to be pryed open, but a simple fingernail across the bottom up the sides in each direction makes it incredibly easier to take off.

Trying to pull it straight off will result in a disaster. Cracked back plate, dropped phone, busted/bent mesh covered the speaker. Ya slide your finger or you'll be bothered every time you look at your precious Z30.
    12-11-13 09:44 AM