I've been using Android for the last year or so with a data plan from my canadian carrier. Now I've switched to z30.

When I called the customer service for some other issues, she asked me whether I use a BlackBerry or some other phone. She seems to indicate the data plans for BlackBerry works differently to others

Do I have to tell them I've changed my phone to BB? I thought it makes no difference??

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 05:31 PM
    Hi, there is one carrier in New Zealand here that doesn't support BB10 as there is some 'routing' that's required going through the BlackBerry APN, can you tell us your carrier?

Most carriers that has offered BIS in the past, would have no issue offering you BB10 data services.
    05-09-14 05:44 PM
    I've been using Android for the last year or so with a data plan from my canadian carrier. Now I've switched to z30.

When I called the customer service for some other issues, she asked me whether I use a BlackBerry or some other phone. She seems to indicate the data plans for BlackBerry works differently to others

Do I have to tell them I've changed my phone to BB? I thought it makes no difference??

Posted via CB10
    It's because legacy BlackBerry phones use to run on BIS, now the new bb10 phones run on the same data as any other phone I believe, which in turn, some old BlackBerry users would get sticker shock when their bills arrived because they used so much data and before they would use the same amount and hardly ever went over 50 meg. Are you having a specific problem with your phone?

From Z10 to Z30
    05-09-14 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    It makes no difference. Legacy BB devices required BIS so the data plans were in fact different.
    05-09-14 07:13 PM
    Tell her it's an android. Will be the same now.

Otherwise they will send your data to BIS which will mess up.

Posted via CB from my LE
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-14 07:15 PM
    Tell her it's an android. Will be the same now.

Otherwise they will send your data to BIS which will mess up.

Posted via CB from my LE
    I tried this when I was visiting the Caribbean, and was getting a prepaid plan in Digicel. I kept insisting that it was not like the old BlackBerry devices that required BIS, but their non - blackberry "smartphone" plans were not working (only seeing 4g). So I eventually let them try the BlackBerry data plan, and sure enough... my Z30 data started working.

So,.. I think different carriers have organized their data plans differently and some still treat any BlackBerry device (BBOS or BB10) as "BlackBerry".

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 07:19 PM
    I'm in Canada and when I bought my Z30 the salesman thought I needed a special plan, I corrected him that they are just like any other smart phone now. He looked at my account and was amazed that it didn't have a bis plan. He wasn't convinced and told me if I had problems to come back and he will fix it.
    05-09-14 08:32 PM
    With Virgin Canada, I've put my old iPhone 5 sim card in my Q10 and my phone worked but the internet/data nothing worked.

Called them, they changed my plan for a blackberry data plan and right after it worked.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 08:53 PM
    Mine is with bell. I originally had iPhone and then moved to android and now to Z30

So I will leave it as it is.. I do r have any specific issues with my billing. But when the Bell rep told me today I need a special BlackBerry plan I was wondering why.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 10:27 PM
    Yea, blackberry data plans are different from other plans

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    What's the difference? Would I consume more data with BlackBerry than android if I don't change my plan?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:20 PM
    I cannot believe that some people allowed their carriers to sell them a BlackBerry add-on/BIS for BB10 phones. BIS isn't needed on BB10 (though it'll still work).
    http://m.crackberry.com/no-you-dont-...erry-10-phones

http://memeburn.com/2013/02/the-trut...ernet-service/

If the internet/data wasn't working, it's likely your APN settings were wrong.
    05-09-14 11:54 PM
    I cannot believe that some people allowed their carriers to sell them a BlackBerry add-on/BIS for BB10 phones. BIS isn't needed on BB10 (though it'll still work).
    http://m.crackberry.com/no-you-dont-...erry-10-phones

http://memeburn.com/2013/02/the-trut...ernet-service/

If the internet/data wasn't working, it's likely your APN settings were wrong.
    In my case with Digicel Barbados, there was absolutely nothing that was changed within my (Verizon) Z30. The person at the shop called a central office, they switched over my prepaid smartphone data plan to a prepaid BlackBerry plan, and a few minutes after my 4g symbol turned to 4G and I started receiving emails etc.

So... they can still treat BlackBerry devices differently, but it's up to the carrier.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 12:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Did you even bother reading the whole thing? Or do you just like to further confuse OP?

Bottom line: BB10 needs no special data plan on Bell and almost every other carrier in the world (the ones that do "requiere it" is because they are greedy bastards).

If they insist, it just means they are uninformed. Lie to them and tell them you have an Android or iPhone.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    05-10-14 12:32 AM
    Did you even bother reading the whole thing? Or do you just like to further confuse OP?

Bottom line: BB10 needs no special data plan on Bell and almost every other carrier in the world (the ones that do "requiere it" is because they are greedy bastards).

If they insist, it just means they are uninformed. Lie to them and tell them you have an Android or iPhone.
    I tell friends/family who are switching to BB10 to lie to the carrier and say it's an iPhone. Works like a charm.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    05-10-14 12:53 AM
    I didn't even bother to tell them anything
    All I had to do is set up the apn settings for bell..everything works fine one since day 1

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    05-10-14 01:02 AM
    I'm in Canada and when I bought my Z30 the salesman thought I needed a special plan, I corrected him that they are just like any other smart phone now. He looked at my account and was amazed that it didn't have a bis plan. He wasn't convinced and told me if I had problems to come back and he will fix it.
    Although he was incorrect or improperly trained, at least he was trying to be helpful. Not always the case.
    05-11-14 04:10 PM
    Mine is with bell. I originally had iPhone and then moved to android and now to Z30

So I will leave it as it is.. I do r have any specific issues with my billing. But when the Bell rep told me today I need a special BlackBerry plan I was wondering why.

Posted via CB10
    Im with Bell and when I got my Z30 they told me I was on a regular data plan thingy and not BIS anymore...
    Could be wrong though cause I have a grandfathered plan from about 6 years ago.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    05-11-14 09:31 PM
    Im with Bell and when I got my Z30 they told me I was on a regular data plan thingy and not BIS anymore...
    Could be wrong though cause I have a grandfathered plan from about 6 years ago.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    I'm on the same boat. I don't want to change my current plan as they no longer offer this anymore. Everything seems to be wojr?g fine so I don't want to change nine to a BlackBerry specific plan as per the rep from bell

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 11:01 PM
    Much confusion. But the compressed data that one got on the BIS plan (which kept the price down) will not work on the series 10 BBerry phones. Period. So whatever your carriers are saying, you are running on a standard data plan regardless. As far as Digicel Barbados goes they have "BIS Lite" plans, which really aren't BIS plans at all. They' re like BIS without BIS... This is a marketing issue in many places, because Legacy BBerrys were (are) so popular because of the savings due to data compression, that there were initial issues moving customers over to the series 10 phones.
    kbz1960 and nick13b like this.
    05-12-14 10:48 AM
    You don't need blackberry data plan with BlackBerry OS 10 devices. You can use any data plan or wi-fi same as on any other smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 02:37 PM