Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default A Solution For STA100-5 On AT&T

I have done heavy research on the viability of using STA100-5 on AT&T and this is my conclusion. The STA100-1 was the one needed to function on AT&T's main LTE band (17) out of the box, but it has been canceled due to lack of interest from AT&T (the only carrier that primarily uses band 17 for LTE) so that is over and done. However, AT&T does have some markets on band 4 (T-Mobile primarily uses this band for LTE, so for T-Mobile, the STA100-5 is PERFECT) and can eventually bring this to other areas if they wanted to. Now band 4 is less limited and on a higher frequency t with 6 channel bandwidths compared to the 2 channel bandwidths and lower frequency of band 17. Band 4 is a better band which is why it is primarily used in Canada and by T-Mobile. So instead of trying to force BlackBerry to release the STA100-1, let's urge AT&T to expand band 4 LTE support. Win-Win.

I used my Q10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    bungaboy, Avenzuno and junno29 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

To prove my belief in this idea, I will be purchasing the unlocked STA100-5 from Shop BlackBerry in the next few days. I will then call AT&T and tell them of my new phone and let them know that if band 4 were in my area I might need a larger data plan from overuse. They only hear money.

TrueKulcha likes this.

Already have an STA 100-5 in hand. Great phone. LTE is not a real loss with lots of wifi available. AT&T can do what they will. Good luck to you.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    Bits--C000C6078 for links to world news and views, technology and science postings.
    junno29 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

The way I see it, Ma Bell has more money to play with than BlackBerry right now. They are in more of a position to add LTE than BlackBerry is to manufacture a phone that no carrier will subsidize. It won't happen overnight, but if enough of us AT&T customers do this, they can't ignore the opportunity.

fryk likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Feel much the same here. LTE would only detract from battery life. Have plenty of access to wifi and probably use it 95% of the time. Was a least wanted feature for me when I chose this Z30 without it.

Posted via CB 10 with Z30 on AT&T
    HowardShap and junno29 like this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Additionally, for those who MUST have the 700mhz band, there is a solution on the horizon that would make Verizon's LTE band 13 (700mhz c) interoperable with AT&T's band 17 (700mhz b c).
    Purchase the STA100-3 from Verizon (same price off-contract as the STA100-5 on Shop BlackBerry). This will give you LTE bands 13 and 4.

What’s in the FCC’s 700 MHz Interoperability Order?

I still think that the STA100-5 is better in the long run for a wider range of compatibility.
    CrackBerry User

I have the z30 (STA100-5), I'm with Fido in Canada, on a recent trip to New York the z30 selected AT&T I had the phone set on voice only and in some areas I was getting 4G, one thing I did notice was I would get the MM#3 card is not compatible error. From time to time.

Proudly posted with a Z30 via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Been using the STA 100-5 on AT&T for the last month now and love it. Basically, I get 4g and have not seen any Lte as expected. The phone is still plenty fast and I am on wifi most of the time anyway. For those that have not pulled the trigger for lack of Lte, you are missing out. Just do it and enjoy!
    niss63 likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

I'm willing to give the STA100-5 a shot. It will still get 4G on AT&T which is not great but it works. T-Mobile on the other hand, this is their LTE model. Hopefully one day I'll wake up and the LTE switch will be flipped on for band 4, but it's too good of a phone to pass up.

CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Took some time to read the STA100-5 Safety Information sheet http://www.google.com/url?q=http://d...gDePG8t2mgk4VQ

The LTE bands were incorrectly identified in that sheet as being 850 mhz(5), 2100mhz(1), and 2600mhz(7). The actual bands as listed on ptcrb.com are 4,5, and 7.

CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

If you look on ptcrb.com, you will see that the information for the RFV121LW (STA100-1) now only shows the initial request in September of 2013. The certification that was from December 2013 has now been removed. STA100-5 is our only bet.

CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,350 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nerdydaddyo View Post
    I have done heavy research on the viability of using STA100-5 on AT&T and this is my conclusion. The STA100-1 was the one needed to function on AT&T's main LTE band (17) out of the box, but it has been canceled due to lack of interest from AT&T (the only carrier that primarily uses band 17 for LTE) so that is over and done. However, AT&T does have some markets on band 4 (T-Mobile primarily uses this band for LTE, so for T-Mobile, the STA100-5 is PERFECT) and can eventually bring this to other areas if they wanted to. Now band 4 is less limited and on a higher frequency t with 6 channel bandwidths compared to the 2 channel bandwidths and lower frequency of band 17. Band 4 is a better band which is why it is primarily used in Canada and by T-Mobile. So instead of trying to force BlackBerry to release the STA100-1, let's urge AT&T to expand band 4 LTE support. Win-Win.

AT&T had to give T-Mobile a lot of their AWS spectrum (Band 4) to T-Mobile as part of the breakup fee for the failed takeover bid. T-Mobile has used this spectrum for 20 MHz LTE channels in many markets.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    SteelGreek (03-30-2014) 
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

That explains a lot. Well, for those interested, the FCC ID on the STA100-1 is L6ARFV120LW . You can see that the last action on fcc.gov was December 2013. The STA100-1 is absolutely verifiable dead in the water.

Thanked by:
    junno29 (03-26-2014) 
    CrackBerry User

To me it seems that adding the additional frequency to the towers would be astronomically expensive. On the other hand, how much can it really cost them to just offer the phone for order only from the website, at the very least?

I don't think it's a lost cause to keep pushing AT&T to carry this phone, and up its support for BlackBerry in general. Our best bet would be to learn a lesson from the T-Mobile backlash, and try to create a similar situation with AT&T.

http://www.petitions24.com/attz30 Let's get the Z30 on AT&T! [/QUOTE]
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I signed that petition awhile ago. I hope it does something.

CrackBerry User

Hi, if im using a Z10 (STL100-1), am i going to have problems with the bands with the Z30 model STA100-5? I mean if i upgrade to z30.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

On the LTE bands, yes. For 4G and below, no.

Thanked by:
    DFloresT (03-23-2014) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

I have a STA100-5 and got lucky with receiving LTE on AT&T!
    Last edited by manonthemoon; 03-24-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

I'm hoping to get some of your luck too!

CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Purchased my Z30 at 7:30 this morning from Shop BlackBerry. I will do a review/relaunch video on YouTube soon after I perform some real world testing on it. Having owned BlackBerry since 2006, plus two PlayBooks, a Z10, and (currently) a Q10, you'll get the best opinion possible. We will see if the lack of the specific AT&T LTE band (17) really is worth skipping the Z30 (the STA100-1 is canceled ; do not wait for it) or if it's something to jump on while still available (production on the Z30 is done, and they will eventually sell out).

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

As the others stated, I use Wi-Fi more than 95% of the time. However, there are areas where I live that I get LTE.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    You can lead a horse to water, but if the cow is throwing grain out of its but+ like a waterfall, he'll just go over and take a nibble.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

I just learned that the Q10 and Z30 have two different SuperAMOLED screen technologies. The Q10 uses an RGB Pentile SuperAMOLED while the Z30 uses an RGB S Stripe HD SuperAMOLED. Now I'm expecting to see something big!

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,039 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Moonshine Please.

I'm currently using an unlocked Z30 STA100-5 on AT&T and I usually have LTE where I live. Keep in mind that I live in a relatively small market, Charleston, West Virginia so I was very surprised when I popped in my AT&T sim and saw LTE. I guess I've been living under a rock because I wasn't aware that AT&T had decided not to carry the Z30. If that is the case at least I still have great service from my trusty Z30.

Posted via CB10
    "When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down."
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2AB660D0
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Thank you for that! If I get LTE, I'll report back (Culpeper VA).

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by nerdydaddyo View Post
    So instead of trying to force BlackBerry to release the STA100-1, let's urge AT&T to expand band 4 LTE support.
    A solution that might be better in the long run is for BlackBerry to create only one version that has all the radio networks needed for each region like the USA.

There are people willing to buy unlocked phones, so instead of making it difficult for people to find which phones work on which carrier it would be a lot easier to create one phone.

The added benefit is that when another carrier wants to support BlackBerry then they don't have to make a new phone version for that carrier. The user experience will also be much better when customers don't have to worry if their phone will work on their carrier.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast