The q10 has smaller icons than the z10, slap those onto the a10 and you move to the 5 row design without implying 1080p.
    Huh?
    08-02-13 02:03 PM
    In a different post I had reached the same conclusion. Its a software tweaking situation most likely.

Posted via CB10
    And let me guess: your conclusion was based on... what?
    Yeah, right, speculation and denial.
    08-02-13 02:06 PM
    Huh?
    Let me quote what I wrote in another thread.

They seem to fit 3 rows on the Q10. So I'm assuming they re arranged the icons for the A10. Minimized the vertical space between the adjacent grey boxes.

For example, look at the amount of space between the grey boxes on top and bottom on the Z10 and then on the Q10. Much less spread out on the Q10.

Attachment 184544

I'm assuming they're doing the same thing for the A10.

Attachment 184546

So I'd have to say, the screen is 720p.
    rayzian likes this.
    08-02-13 04:18 PM
    I'm really not sure what you're getting at. Denial? Ppffft. We were questioning if the 5th row ment 1080p. It would be nice if it was but if not I won't lose sleep over it. Fact it we've seen 4 rows when leaked pics started to surface and now we're seeing 5.

By the way it's a rumor thread. I'll give you sometime to think about what that means.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 04:28 PM
    By the way it's a rumor thread. I'll give you sometime to think about what that means.

Posted via CB10
    that people wont assume that automatically as [Rumour] isn't in the title of the thread? lol
    The Big Picture likes this.
    08-02-13 04:56 PM
    that people wont assume that automatically as [Rumour] isn't in the title of the thread? lol
    Exactly. The blackberry A10 thread is a sub forum within news & rumors and it's hardly news until it's officially announced. We're just having a bit of fun.

Anyways we gotta start calling it Z30 now.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 05:16 PM
    personally all things being equal, the A series would be better off with a quad core 800 series, as that's better and from the same supplier, therefore for all intents and purposes is better. so I actually am very against the A10 having dual core, I just cant see what it really offers over the Z10, which means theres no incentive to switch. that of course is all personal opinion though.
    The phone is only coming out 9 months after the z10 roughly speaking, have you not considered that they are not actually as arrogant as apple and simply don't expect a great many upgrades from z10 to z30, the purpose behind this device is primarily to offer bb10 to people that overlooked the z10 due to the size of the screen with any upgrades from a z10 being bonus sales.

One thing that will be interesting to see is whether or not they are going to stick with a 9 month schedule or if this is a one-off aberration due to the original delays with the z10, perhaps they we will stick with this faster release schedule as then you would end up with variation in what was the new xmas release, some years it would be all-touch and then others it would end up being qwerty instead.

As far as your assertion that with all things being equal an 800 would be better, that is a nice idea in abstract but the reality is that all things would not be equal as going with that option would result in either drastically reduced battery life and/or a heavier device, there is an argument to be made that they should have gone with a quad core 600 even if it is not really needed, but an 800 would have been a waste of both battery and money.
    08-03-13 08:05 AM
    Everything about this sub-forum is speculation pretty much, but I don't get why you think he is in denial. People are coming to the quite logical conclusion that a simple software change is far more likely than the conspiracy theorists who think that BB has so far managed to hide the existence of final hardware being drastically different from what has leaked despite the fact that carriers require final hardware for all their testing.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    08-03-13 08:13 AM
    As far as your assertion that with all things being equal an 800 would be better, that is a nice idea in abstract but the reality is that all things would not be equal as going with that option would result in either drastically reduced battery life and/or a heavier device, there is an argument to be made that they should have gone with a quad core 600 even if it is not really needed, but an 800 would have been a waste of both battery and money.
    Well why not a 600 then? the SGS4 seems very capable of providing a decent battery life on that cpu, and lets face it everyone here keeps banging on about how much more better the BB10 OS is, so shouldn't it be the same if not better on power consumption? but that then shifts as devices like the LG G2 and such will have a 800 cpu and probably still offer decent battery life, so again the argument can be made about BB10 being `better` it should be ok.

People bang on so much about how BB10 is efficient with power, but then throw a bigger cpu in the mix and it doesn't work as well as the `rubbish android`? I fail to follow peoples logic there.
    08-03-13 12:36 PM
    The q10 has smaller icons than the z10, slap those onto the a10 and you move to the 5 row design without implying 1080p.
    this makes the most sense
    08-03-13 12:39 PM
    The q10 has smaller icons than the z10
    this is incorrect, but the perception is plausible. The icons themselves remain at 114x114 pixels in the Q10, Q5 and Z10, however the grey shading areas are what change in terms of their padding.

jus wanted that one cleared up a little
    08-03-13 12:51 PM
    this is incorrect, but the perception is plausible. The icons themselves remain at 114x114 pixels in the Q10, Q5 and Z10, however the grey shading areas are what change in terms of their padding.
    The word icon is clearly being used interchangeably with the more unwieldy icon + grey shading in this context.
    08-04-13 07:56 AM
    People bang on so much about how BB10 is efficient with power, but then throw a bigger cpu in the mix and it doesn't work as well as the `rubbish android`? I fail to follow peoples logic there.
    It is not that it doesn't work as well it is simply that it is a needless waste of battery life, not too mention it would either push up prices for consumers or cut into BB's margins at a time when they are trying to establish bb10.

They went with bb10 because they wanted to avoid the moronic spec arms race of android, so after having made that decision there is no logic to them then jumping into the spec race when they do not need to do so.
    08-04-13 08:04 AM
    It is not that it doesn't work as well it is simply that it is a needless waste of battery life, not too mention it would either push up prices for consumers or cut into BB's margins at a time when they are trying to establish bb10.
    while that's a totally viable argument from a companys perspective, the consumer perspective is `why should I pay the same money for less specs?`
    tw_ likes this.
    08-04-13 09:21 AM

They went with bb10 because they wanted to avoid the moronic spec arms race of android, so after having made that decision there is no logic to them then jumping into the spec race when they do not need to do so.
    +1 the key to Z30s success will be the price. I think BlackBerry sees this noting the recent price cuts. Sell through should be top priority. Only when there are users will the eco system grow.

The android phone experience (besides having a nice 1080p screen) being quad core or octo core doesn't seem to change much. The S4 is still not a smooth and fluid as the iphone with its modest dual core. The bb10 devices have the potential to be as fluid especially once 10.2 is out. Hopefully marketing will echo this fact.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 10:30 AM
    well, after doing some analysis using the 10.1 MR on a Z10, I think you're right. And, once again, I have hope that they haven't gone with a 720 x 1280 resolution.

i set my font size to 5 (smallest I could) and tried to reproduce the pic. I can get a max of about 7 line items on my 1280 screen. Michael seems to have room for about 10. Strangely, it doesn't really seem wider though, or maybe it's a spacing thing.
    I'm not sure this means anything.

When I set my font size to 5, I get 7 rows of items in the Hub also.

When I set my font size back to the default 8, I still get 7 rows of items in the Hub. The text is smaller, but the height of the rows doesn't change.

You can't guess anything about the resolution of the device in Clewley's screenshot based on this analysis...
    08-04-13 10:42 AM
    who said early fall, they said for the holiday season, could be late fall for all we know
    Or just "late" full stop ;-)
    08-04-13 10:48 AM
    I'm not sure this means anything.

When I set my font size to 5, I get 7 rows of items in the Hub also.

When I set my font size back to the default 8, I still get 7 rows of items in the Hub. The text is smaller, but the height of the rows doesn't change.

You can't guess anything about the resolution of the device in Clewley's screenshot based on this analysis...
    Actually you can. It?s simple math. If the resolution was the same, 1280 lines, and we're both running the MR then the screen should look the same. Regardless if the screen is 3.5", 4.2", 5", or 25". Resolution tells you how many pixels there are. The screen dictates how big those pixels appear.

If I can fit 7 rows on 1280 lines on a 4" screen, I can still only fit 7 rows on 1280 lines on a 25" screen. It's the same pixel space available.

Also, the icons on the Q10 and Z10 take up the same number of pixels. There is slightly less space below the icon title in the shaded area. The bulk of space saving comes from cutting the space between rows in half and moving the call/camera icons to the same line as the app "pages" line, as opposed to below as on the z10. Note on all the z30 videos those icons are below as on the z10, the icons and shading look the same as the Z10 and the space between icons looks the same. There simply aren't enough pixels in 1280 lines to add another row that way. There has to be more than 1280 lines.

In no way am I saying that's the version that will be released, but I am saying it's pretty clear they're testing a version with more than 1280 lines vertical.

Posted via CB10
    tw_ and Kevstra like this.
    08-04-13 11:47 AM
    while that's a totally viable argument from a companys perspective, the consumer perspective is `why should I pay the same money for less specs?`
    The crucial thing for the z30 will come when we see the pricing of it, if they are sensible then it will end up being $150 + contract for north americans and a similar level elsewhere, it does offer something different from the existing devices but is not a clear upgrade to any existing device and should not be priced as one.
    08-04-13 02:42 PM
    FYI a Sony Xperia Z which is a quad-core beast w/ 5" 1080p high-end (Triluminos) screen, a 13MP camera w/ HDR video recording including underwater HDR video recording, fully waterproof (drop it into your beer and you can even make a call via BT =)), dustproof etc is now offered for $0 money down at T-Mobile (w/ $25 for 24-months w/o interest) or $600 upfront (unlocked)...

...so unless Z30 brings something really BIG to the table BB better offer it for no money down with $25 for 24 months, with a giant IN-STORE marketing push behind or it will be murdered in the stores.
    08-05-13 09:50 PM
    Actually you can. It?s simple math. If the resolution was the same, 1280 lines, and we're both running the MR then the screen should look the same. Regardless if the screen is 3.5", 4.2", 5", or 25". Resolution tells you how many pixels there are. The screen dictates how big those pixels appear.

If I can fit 7 rows on 1280 lines on a 4" screen, I can still only fit 7 rows on 1280 lines on a 25" screen. It's the same pixel space available.

In no way am I saying that's the version that will be released, but I am saying it's pretty clear they're testing a version with more than 1280 lines vertical.

Posted via CB10
    This is the worst way to design; to ignore the physical size of the screen is a mistake. It's not clear at all that it's more than 1280. Youre thinking android but I'm pretty sure BlackBerry is doing it the right way because the screen is bigger you can see more therefore design elements to be smaller on the same resolution. You can fit more content on big displays despite resolution. It is similar to how tablet apps are designed because the physical screen is much bigger then it is fine to shrink everything to fit more. See ipad mini for example
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-05-13 10:25 PM
    FYI a Sony Xperia Z which is a quad-core beast w/ 5" 1080p high-end (Triluminos) screen, a 13MP camera w/ HDR video recording including underwater HDR video recording, fully waterproof (drop it into your beer and you can even make a call via BT =)), dustproof etc is now offered for $0 money down at T-Mobile (w/ $25 for 24-months w/o interest) or $600 upfront (unlocked)...

...so unless Z30 brings something really BIG to the table BB better offer it for no money down with $25 for 24 months, with a giant IN-STORE marketing push behind or it will be murdered in the stores.
    Sony really pulled a rabbit out of their hat for that phone. Its brilliant. All that phone is missing (to me) is BBOS 10. :-)

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:22 PM
    This is the worst way to design; to ignore the physical size of the screen is a mistake. It's not clear at all that it's more than 1280. Youre thinking android but I'm pretty sure BlackBerry is doing it the right way because the screen is bigger you can see more therefore design elements to be smaller on the same resolution. You can fit more content on big displays despite resolution. It is similar to how tablet apps are designed because the physical screen is much bigger then it is fine to shrink everything to fit more. See ipad mini for example
    Not thinking of Android at all. No point going back and forth. We'll see in a couple months.
    08-05-13 11:56 PM

Cool. I'm looking forward to going into stores around here and seeing nothing but Sony Xperia Z phones selling. Clearly no other phone model will ever again be sold, because none measure up to the incredible specs offered on that device. I know most people want phones they can dunk in their beer, and now that this urge can be satisfied all other phone manufacturers are doomed to have zero sales forevermore.
    08-06-13 06:39 AM
    Cool. I'm looking forward to going into stores around here and seeing nothing but Sony Xperia Z phones selling. Clearly no other phone model will ever again be sold, because none measure up to the incredible specs offered on that device. I know most people want phones they can dunk in their beer, and now that this urge can be satisfied all other phone manufacturers are doomed to have zero sales forevermore.
    ...still, Sony is now showing a pretty respectable profit in its smartphone division due to a surge in sales:

BBC News - Sony earnings boosted by weak yen and smartphone sales

just sayin'
    08-06-13 10:47 AM
75 123