Hi guys;

I bought a used Z30 with a broken screen and ordered a new one. I made sure it's the proper non-verizon model I need. The screen install was easy but the phone would not boot until the tech removed the battery cable for 5 minutes and re-connected. Then the phone boots and works properly as expected - until it goes to sleep or is reset. Then it will not re-start.

I had installed the latest leaked os just before the screen was replaced (it would run, just no display) so I thought maybe it might be a bad install or the wrong radio, etc. So I used Link to revert to 10.2. No joy though - nothing is displayed. But, now it's back together, so I can't disconnect the battery to get it to display anything.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Hoping it's not a brick - phone looks to be in great shape, now with a brand new screen. No water damage evident.
    02-12-15 04:01 PM
    Unfortunately it sounds like more than the screen was broken. Let's see if any of the hardware tech gurus have ideas on what you might look for.
    02-12-15 05:05 PM
    What do you mean until it goes to sleep?
    You mean when the screens dims by either no contact or by pressing top button?

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    02-12-15 05:35 PM
    It sounds like the battery might be bad, or the connection to the motherboard is bad. Id advise seeing if the battery life is nominal (It should last a whole day of heavy usage.). If it doesn't, order a battery and back frame, so you don't have to deal with the battery's sticky adhesive. If that doesn't work, you're in for a rude awakening, as the motherboard is really tough to fix.
    02-12-15 05:50 PM
    The same thing happened to me with my z10 I bought a new battery and it worked, I bought a battery charger and now both batteries work fine. Odd I know

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 06:16 PM
    In that case it sounds like it might just be the battery.
    02-12-15 06:45 PM
    If the battery is disconnected for a few minutes and then reconnected - the phone will start and the display works, but as soon as the screen goes black or you sleep the phone with the power button, the display will not come back on.
    02-13-15 07:02 AM
    Hoping it's the battery - the phone did sit neglected for a few months and it was left on after the screen was damaged - so it was probably dead for much of that time.

The battery does seem to charge up - I have it on the charger now (switched off) and the yellow led is pulsing slowly. I'm going to wait till I get a solid green and try to start it again - plugged in. I may try to remove the screen again and check all the connections. Maybe it would be better to wait till the new battery and base arrive - probably not wise to take these things apart too many times.

In the meantime, I've ordered a new battery and black frame for it - figure it's worth spending $20 more.

I should say, on a fresh boot up after the battery is disconnected - the phone works and responds perfectly, so I don't think it's motherboard damage.
    02-13-15 07:14 AM
    ok, the battery and base unit arrived and I have it in the hands of a tech friend of mine to try to bring it to life.

My investment so far is:
    phone - definitely working but no display - only displays when cold started (battery unplugged)
    screen/digitizer - $50 cdn
    battery/base - $20 cdn

If my friend CANNOT get it to work - what's it worth to sell? Hoping to recoup some of my losses. $120 for all?
    02-20-15 11:37 AM
    Lots of reports of this now. I don't believe it's the hardware. Something in 10.3 is messing with some z30's and they aren't waking up properly. I got mine to the point where it works fine when plugged in but after I unplug it it stays black

I did hard reset a few times and got it to wake up. Then did autoloader install of 10.2 but it's the same

I believe it's an issue in firmware that controls screen wake. What a crazy update for us.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 05:56 PM