Forgive my ignorance. I have heard of burn in happening in some LED TVS, but what about AMOLED? I am simply concerned about possible effects of having 10.3.0.296 with watermarks.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 08:12 AM
    It is possible with an AMOLED screen.....

Have not seen any mention of it on the Z30, but not sure how many Z30 there are and usage varies.
    Alvin Loh and Harborcoat like this.
    05-28-14 08:54 AM
    On my Q10 the navigation bar at the bottom burnt in and was permanently visible on a white screen. But it only happens fast if you put the display brightness at the highest level. For me it took 3 months of usage.
    05-28-14 09:35 AM
    I suppose there is a reduced chance of burn in simply because of how black is produced by turning off pixels. Q10 would be an LCD wouldn't it? Didn't notice any problems when I had a Q5 for about 5 months.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 10:18 AM
    I doubt it, with screen timeouts, the way black is rendered, and the constant changes.....In general smart phone screens should be pretty safe from Burn In affects.
    Carl Estes and Harborcoat like this.
    05-28-14 01:56 PM
    AMOLED displays definitely have issues with burn-in.

I've seen Windows Phones with burned-in live tiles and Samsung S3 phones with burned in icons, demo content, and notification area.

Don't leave static or similar content on screen for long periods of time. Put the screen to sleep when not in use. Decreasing the amount of time until standby will help.

The good thing about BlackBerry 10 is the entire UI changes every section of the screen all the time. This is vs Android which had the notification bar and on screen nav keys displayed at all times. Windows Phone gets burned in because of the bright square live tiles on a plain black background.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 10:38 PM
    Does this mean I shouldn't be using bedside mode? Will the clock eventually be permanently etched on my screen?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 05:36 PM
    Does this mean I shouldn't be using bedside mode? Will the clock eventually be permanently etched on my screen?

Posted via CB10
    Good question! Although bedside mode is quite dimmed.
    05-29-14 05:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't risk it personally. If I'm not looking at the screen there is no reason for it to be on.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 08:15 PM
    I've had mine acting as an alarm clock for a few months and it is definitely burnt in...this should not happen today!
    12-16-14 11:08 PM
    I've had mine acting as an alarm clock for a few months and it is definitely burnt in...this should not happen today!
    True?
    Can you post some pics which show the effects...
    Anyways since day 1 I'm using a black wallpaper and have the screen timeout as 20s. Also the screen brightness is at lowest levels as I'm comfortable with it!

Too worried about the screen burning in less than a year or so!!

Posted via CB10 and my awesome Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    12-17-14 01:14 AM
    I dont think so.
    Mine is perfect fine. And my Z30 act for the last 4week as an alarm clock on bedside mode.

Posted via Q10Bold
    12-17-14 01:27 AM
    The most simple answer is yes because AMOLED screens "die" over time, it's a given of the technology. Can the Super AMOLED panel in the Z30 burn in? Definitely, so it should certainly be something to consider. The one thing I'd love to see for the bedside mode would be the "clock" moving slowly every few minutes, a couple of pixels is more than enough, obviously. I don't mean have it bounce around like some 3D puzzle of some kind or the old Amiga Boing-Boing thing, I just mean the image should move somewhat to assure that burn-in doesn't occur.

It's a give and take with AMOLED displays, not much can be done about it so again, it's something to consider and definitely keep in mind. It happens over a period of time and there's really nothing that can be done about it besides keeping the display free of purely static images of any kind as often as possible.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-17-14 03:42 AM
    I have had several z30's since the device was launched and never had one with a screen burn in issue. I am currently using one that I have owned since February and never had an issue with it.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    12-17-14 04:30 AM
    There's a difference between burn in and screen retention. Try running a few really fast moving, high framerate videos on your phone and then check it again.

I tended to leave my Q10's screen on when I went to bed and plugged it in and never had an issue.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    12-17-14 05:48 AM
    If you own an AMOLED device that has static images on screen (soft buttons, toolbars, notification bars, it doesn't matter but it means it's there pretty much always if the screen is on) you will encounter burn in as time passes. You might not notice it to any appreciable degrees, but it happens - as stated above, it is a side-effect of the technology itself. AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode) technology has a lifespan and it does "die" over time; excessive static images (most notably anything that's a bright color, especially pure white) will cause burn in faster than normal.

If you've had a Z30 for a long time or even since it was first released, and you display a pure white screen (use some 720x1280 image file, make one in Paint or some other image editor easily) you'll probably notice some faint "ghost"-like areas of the display - I'm not saying you will, I'm not saying you won't, I'm saying that it's entirely possible to note such ghosting or very very faint discolorations that are indicative of AMOLED burn in.

Burn in happens with OLED technology and there's nobody in the OLED industry making panels that would really say otherwise, but the solution again tends to be not using pure white images, icons, or display items (toolbars, notification bars, soft buttons, and so on) - if you want to know immediately if what I and others are saying is something that happens, take a look at your Z30 and note that BlackBerry chose a color scheme that is the opposite of the other BlackBerry 10 devices (least the ones I've used). It's a black background with white accents while other devices that use LCD display technology have white backgrounds with black accents.

BlackBerry does know what they're doing in that respect. Samsung and other companies that have devices with AMOLED displays have never ever had a factory OS on a device that takes the OLED technology into consideration and all their interfaces look exactly the same: white backgrounds all over the place with limited black/dark accents.

Kudos of the highest order to BlackBerry for knowing this ahead of time and making the Z30 just that much more unique in the world of smartphones...
    12-17-14 05:48 PM
    So AMOLED is the equivalent to Plasma TVs?

'30 on .1154
    12-17-14 06:29 PM
    In many respects, yes, but not exactly the same given the different types of technologies. Typical burn in on an AMOLED won't make itself really noticeable for around 12-18 months on most typical devices, but note I'm saying "typical devices" which leans towards what I just said above: other manufacturers with devices that have AMOLED displays in them don't alter the user interface to account for the AMOLED hardware by using darker backgrounds, white or bright text on a black background, and so on. They push out the same old interface aspects as any old LCD panel would have: black or dark text on white or near-white backgrounds.

Pure white on an AMOLED device means those pixels being used to display pure white are pushing out basically max power (given the level of brightness) so, that's what ends up being the particular graphics points on the display where burn in becomes noticeable more so than other colors. What happens over time as an OLED "burns" is the pixel becomes diminished in its ability to produce the same color intensity as it did when it was first put into use. That's why burn in on an AMOLED display ends up with a dark ghosted quality to it - the original color should be pure white or something close to it and over time those pixels just lose a bit of brightness so they get darker as time passes.

Head over to Google and do an image search for "examples of amoled burn in" and you'll get a lot of easily understandable example images from a wide variety of devices (including some plasma displays that shouldn't come up with those search keywords but it happens). It takes time for it to happen, and even with the Z30 having been available for some time now, I can't imagine anyone would have it that severe at this point because BlackBerry designed the Z30's UI to account for it being an AMOLED display and used darker accents and elements - a brilliant move on their part that will help extend the usable lifespan of the device.

Works for me...
    12-17-14 07:31 PM
    Thanks for all the info. I used to keep the clock up in bedside mode all the time and very much liked the option. I stopped doing it a while ago because I was worried about burn in...

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:09 AM