Bit of a strange one...

When I bought my Z30 I invested in a 64gb SanDisk memory card to work along side it. For some reason I could never get the bloody thing to work and format for use in the Z30.

Having switched to my Z10 whilst my 30 was being repaired, I thought I'd give the memory card another try. For some reason when plugged into the z10, it formats fine and when switched to my 30, works fine.

Is there are reason why?

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 03:01 PM
    There shouldn't be a problem unless the card is formatted using something other than exFAT.

As I recall these issues go away if you plug your phone into a Windows computer. It should automatically install the BlackBerry drivers needed to operate the card. Then you can open an Explorer window to see how the card is got matted.

Btw I had a SanDisk 64GB SD card in my Z10 and simply moved it over to my Z30 with no issues. Now I'm using a SanDisk 128GB SD card.
    12-01-15 04:28 PM
    Had similar problem when switching from Passport to Classic. Worked fine on Passport. Didn't work on Classic. Removed, reloaded driver, over and over. No good. Then at one point during the first day, it just started working. Very weird. Can't even remember what I did.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 04:49 PM
    It's just weird.

Basically got z30 back today with the memory card in it. I tried to move a bunch of files into it but it was totally not recognised. Nor would it allow it to be formatted.

I switched over my 8gig card from Z10 and obviously needed to 'store' the SanDisk so wopped it in the Z10. Whilst it was all on I thought I'd give it a go; formatted fine, allowed me to move files into it and then retrieve them in my z30

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 06:45 PM
    It's just weird.

Basically got z30 back today with the memory card in it. I tried to move a bunch of files into it but it was totally not recognised. Nor would it allow it to be formatted.

I switched over my 8gig card from Z10 and obviously needed to 'store' the SanDisk so wopped it in the Z10. Whilst it was all on I thought I'd give it a go; formatted fine, allowed me to move files into it and then retrieve them in my z30

Posted via CB10
    Out of the box, the 64gb card should have been formatted in exFAT.
    Natively, the BB10 OS doesn't support exFAT, it requires a driver set to be downloaded to the device in order for it to be able to see the card and access/format/read/write it. Normally the device will download those drivers if needed within a few seconds of inserting a exFAT SD card.
    The "glitch" in this is that with the various official, leaked, and beta BB10 OS's floating around, there are issues with some of those OS's not being able to download the correct driver, downloading a glitchy driver, or simply not downloading any driver.
    To add, if you change and try out new and leaked BB10 OS's regularly, you may run into an issue with your device carrying over a now incompatible driver from a previous install, or loosing your "good" driver on a new OS wipe + install.
    Rule of thumb is:
    • If you have a current, official, BB10 OS on your device, you should be able to get the correct and non-glitchy exFAT driver download.
    • If you have a leaked OS, you have a high chance of not getting any driver or getting the incorrect/glitchy ones.
    • If you have a beta OS, you have an extremely high chance of getting the incorrect or glitchy driver, or not being able to get any driver.

Now, to get around all this, you can format the SD card in FAT32, as all version of BB OS's can natively handle that format. Do not try NTFS, as no BB OS can handle that, same with other formats used by MAC or Linux. The rub of FAT32 is, however, most all computers can't format a SD card higher than 32GB in FAT32.
    However, a freeware program called Rufus can preform that task and is very fast in doing so:
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

My suggestion for your issue would be:
    • Pop the SD card into a USB card reader on a computer, check to see what format it is in.
    1. If exFAT and it is not readable in the Z30, use Rufus to format it to FAT32
    2. If not exFAT, format it to exFAT and try again in the Z30.
    If the Z30 just doesn't seem to be able to read an exFAT card, try upgrading your device to a current official release or just use FAT32 on the SD card.

As I regularly change OS's on my Z30, I run my 128GB SD card in FAT32.
    I have no issues with my device or SD card and can read/write/access it with no problems.
    I used Rufus to format the SD card to 128GB on my Windows PC.
    12-02-15 06:45 AM
    Thanks for your input guys...

The mem card seems to be working fine on z30 although once I'd transferred the data over it took a hard reset of the phone to kick it into gear.

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    12-02-15 03:48 PM