As most of you might know by now, one of the Fairfax board members is the head of rogers. This tells me that rogers will not sell the phone because they don't plan on keeping blackberry as a whole. So caring a phone that won't be supported once Fairfax owns them would cause more problems for rogers customers . Since they would have a bigger issue by selling a phone from a company that will be disbanded if Fairfax gets it. What do you guys think?

BlackBerry for LIFE
    10-05-13 10:57 PM
    If anything is spun off, it will be BBM. Anyways speculation should be added to your title.

All that being said, you might be on to something however I think you have it wrong. Look deeper...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:03 PM
    That's a very interesting thought-yes speculative but thoughtful nonetheless. It makes me winder.

Posted via CB10
    patwein likes this.
    10-06-13 12:12 PM
    That's a very interesting thought-yes speculative but thoughtful nonetheless. It makes me winder.

Posted via CB10
    Wonder

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:12 PM
    So if the head of Rogers used inside information about Fairfax's plans, that would be very interesting.
    And likely illegal.
    Those darn American companies and their flagrant abuse of the law and hatred of BlackBerrys </sarcasm>
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    10-06-13 12:21 PM
    I really doubt it. He may be a board member but its Prem who is in charge he wants to take the company private an intact. Though Rogers not carrying the phone does make for news headlines and that does affect the stock price making the 9 dollar buyout seem more tempting to shareholders.
    10-06-13 01:27 PM
    So if the head of Rogers used inside information about Fairfax's plans, that would be very interesting.
    And likely illegal.
    Those darn American companies and their flagrant abuse of the law and hatred of BlackBerrys </sarcasm>
    Fairfax is headquartered in Toronto

Rogers is headquartered in Toronto

Which of these are American?

Posted by the Zed of rockivy
    10-06-13 02:25 PM
    ^^^^^ think it was sarcasm.

It wouldn't surprise me if fairfax opted to break up blackberry . They won't be fully in control of the company anyway

1. Spin off bbm
    2. Shut down hardware, sell off superfluous patents , pay themselves a big dividend with the extra cash
    3. New company is just bes 10 services and QNX software company and certicom encryption. All software services

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:23 PM
    Better theory: You're considering other companies buying BlackBerry? Ok, we won't be carrying your new flagship device unless you sell the company to us.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:24 PM
    fairfax is headquartered in toronto

rogers is headquartered in toronto

which of these are american?

Posted by the zed of rockivy
    i even put a sarcasm tag in the thread.
    Smh
    10-06-13 03:32 PM
    i even put a sarcasm tag in the thread.
    Smh
    Even with sarcasm tags it's still not good sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 04:06 PM
    Of course it is, whether or not you approve of it or understand it.
    More paranoia - "The real reason"...
    10-06-13 04:10 PM
    Blush

Posted by the Zed of rockivy
    10-06-13 04:13 PM
    Rogers not carrying Z30... any hidden reasons or conspiracies are possible... but the obvious reason right now, things we don't need to speculate is, they don't want to take the risk of losing another investment as supported by their previous factual data i.e. Z10 and Q10...

Posted via Z10
    10-06-13 04:37 PM
    And likely illegal.
    Illegal? How so?
    10-06-13 05:24 PM
    Illegal? How so?
    if the head of Rogers used insider information about Fairfax's plans, as a way to drive down the stock price, making fairfax's offer more tempting to shareholders, that would be illegal under financial regulations both in Canada and in the US. Manipulating stock prices, while using inside information tends to make the SEC rather pissed, and they can charge you with both criminal and civil charges. I doubt Fairfax wants to pay 4.7 billion for BBRY, and turn around and pay back 2 or 3 billion to lawyers to defend themselves against charges, no matter how slim you may thing they are.

plus if they can prove that is the only reason Rogers won't carry the Z30, the CEO of Rogers can be charged as an individual, and Rogers as a company.
    10-06-13 07:37 PM
    Are you referring to Nadir Mohammed? He's stepping down as Rogers CEO at the end of this year.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    10-06-13 08:45 PM
    LOL. I have to agree.
    Even with sarcasm tags it's still not good sarcasm

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 01:47 PM
    As most of you might know by now, one of the Fairfax board members is the head of rogers. This tells me that rogers will not sell the phone because they don't plan on keeping blackberry as a whole. So caring a phone that won't be supported once Fairfax owns them would cause more problems for rogers customers . Since they would have a bigger issue by selling a phone from a company that will be disbanded if Fairfax gets it. What do you guys think?

BlackBerry for LIFE
    Sorry I don't buy it...

BlackBerry Z10, powerful tool indeed.
    10-09-13 01:48 PM
    Be quick and report it to the authority.
    if the head of Rogers used insider information about Fairfax's plans, as a way to drive down the stock price, making fairfax's offer more tempting to shareholders, that would be illegal under financial regulations both in Canada and in the US. Manipulating stock prices, while using inside information tends to make the SEC rather pissed, and they can charge you with both criminal and civil charges. I doubt Fairfax wants to pay 4.7 billion for BBRY, and turn around and pay back 2 or 3 billion to lawyers to defend themselves against charges, no matter how slim you may thing they are.

plus if they can prove that is the only reason Rogers won't carry the Z30, the CEO of Rogers can be charged as an individual, and Rogers as a company.
    10-09-13 01:49 PM