Going to assume most of you are happy you did it, but please be honest and give the pros AND cons! Thank you!

Given: battery life is much better

Screen size: is it really any better? The side-by-side pics I've seen don't really sell me on that. My g/f has upped the font size on her Z10 (farsighted) and still squints; hoping the Z30 screen can help. Also hoping for a few less typing issues with slightly larger "buttons."

Are you able to carry it in a front jeans pocket without fear of destruction? (I've been carrying my Z10 naked like this since the day I bought it over a year ago, no issues)

Any more or less prone to scratching on the screen?

MOST IMPORTANTLY: would you (or did you?) buy it outright, no upgrade freebie/discount, although there was nothing actually wrong with your Z10?

Anything else? Thanks!

Richard
    08-26-14 09:41 AM
    Several threads about this already but I for one love the upgrade. Right now the kicker is that the Z30 has vanished at VZW so you may be too late!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 09:52 AM
    Screen size is MUCH better. I didn't enjoy Netflix on my Z10 without exporting to TV via HDMI but with the Z30, I'm perfectly happy with the size while running on my treadmill for example which should tell you something. I do find the keys easier to hit in portrait mode on the Z30 as the Z10 always felt a little cramped by comparison to me.

I bought it for $0 PLUS $120 early cancellation fee and I'm thrilled I did. I get so much more functionality out of it. Aside from the awesome battery which you already acknowledge I love to use Miracast, the FM radio and I find my Bluetooth connection 1000% better with my Heart rate monitor on my Z30 than with my Z10 which seemed to lose connection sometimes.

I have a holster that I use horizontally on my hip which is a great battery saver as it automatically puts into sleep mode. My calls get answered automatically if I take it out while ringing. Handy. I don't put it in my front pocket of my jeans which I imagine would be a bit uncomfortable due to not bending but it's fine in my pants front pocket and my jeans back pocket but I try not to keep it there too long while sitting.

I purchased a USB on the go adapter and it works great with a keyboard or mouse and for fun I like to charge my wife's iPhone when her phone is running low on power. I absolutely love this phone. I hope you get to enjoy it too!
    08-26-14 10:01 AM
    First off you'll appreciate the huge screen size and incredibly long battery life. These are by far the top two pros of this device. At first I thought how unwieldy this device was and similar in size to the Samsung s5 and HTC m8. So for size it's comparable but with a huge difference. Only blackberry uses swipe gestures to pull up home,hub and other areas. Whereas the other devices require keys built into to the bottom to reach their home screens. It's the simplicity that won me over of the design and the thought to give us large battery life.

Posted by CB10 / STA100-5 10.2.1.2977
    08-26-14 11:00 AM
    Everyone else has covered most things off. The only problem I ran into was having the z30 in my front pocket with no case. What happened was that I was pocket dialing or doing other things on the phone because the top sleep button is pretty easy to press. I bought a case for it and that problem has gone away. Everything else is great!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 11:15 AM
    Going to assume most of you are happy you did it, but please be honest and give the pros AND cons! Thank you!

Given: battery life is much better

Screen size: is it really any better? The side-by-side pics I've seen don't really sell me on that. My g/f has upped the font size on her Z10 (farsighted) and still squints; hoping the Z30 screen can help. Also hoping for a few less typing issues with slightly larger "buttons."

[TTQ225 It is much more readable and pleasurable to use.

Are you able to carry it in a front jeans pocket without fear of destruction? (I've been carrying my Z10 naked like this since the day I bought it over a year ago, no issues)

[TTQ225] This was a main reason for me to hold off the switch. However, it does fit in a pocket but when you sit down you really feel it. I carry mine in a horizontal holster which I used for Z10. Surprisingly, Z30 fits in it, naked.

Any more or less prone to scratching on the screen?

[TTQ225] I don't see why it would be different from Z10.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: would you (or did you?) buy it outright, no upgrade freebie/discount, although there was nothing actually wrong with your Z10?

[TTQ225] I upgraded, at $0 with $0 early cancellation fees.

Anything else? Thanks!

[TTQ225] I love it and question myself for holding off for so long

Richard

? Posted by BlackBerry Z30 ?
    08-26-14 12:16 PM
    OK, really appreciating the responses so far - exactly what I was hoping for. Still would love to hear from anyone else as I am going to lay out serious $ for these phones (2) and don't want to cannonball in without checking the water first. My carrier (AT&T) doesn't do Z30, I will NOT switch to VZW under any circumstances, so I'm just gonna have to buy them outright.

For clarification on the front jeans pocket, I don't attempt to sit down with my Z10 in there either, for fear of breakage. I'm in and out of my work vehicle a lot and I need my phone with me so I throw it in my pocket, then take it back out as I climb back in. Holster/belt clip/etc. wouldn't work for me as the physical nature of my work, exposed phone = bad. Wrecked a Motorola V220 way back in the day when I used to carry it on a clip; that phone cured me of the practice.

BB10_fan1 - pocket dialing was an issue on my Z10 too, but I solved it 100% by disabling gestures while screen locked.

Richard
    08-26-14 12:48 PM
    I guess I fit the description.

I'm on AT&T, bought my Z30 outright, and I work in an environment that can be rough on phones.

I don't use a case, but I do use a screen protector. I use the OEM belt holster as all of my pants pockets have items in them, already. I used to carry it in my shirt pocket, but it had a tendency to fall out when I was setting a lift. I don't recommend pants pocket carrying for any phone of this size - it's just too easy to crack the screen. Just had to replace the screen on an S4 for this reason.

The extra screen real estate is really nice. It is a better phone than the Z10, no doubt. I still have a few Z10's in the stable, but this phone is really a better product.

The screen isn't as bright as the Z10, but it is more than adequate.

Since the last upgrade, Bluetooth is not working well with the Plantronics headset.

I never get to the end of the say and need more battery.

I'm on the fence about buying the Q10 - mine died without warning.

Early on, I struggled with wondering about my sanity after buying the Z10 ( I had one of the random rebooters).

I've never regretted purchasing this phone. Well, not unless I'm trying to open an .rtf file.

HTH

BTW, on AT&T, you won't be getting much LTE coverage, but the phone works really well without it.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 04:11 PM
    I just got it shipped to work today and have the phone now. First impressions much better build quality than the z10.

I haven't even swapped the sim card out yet and typing this from the z10. Since I did it through our corp rep I got it 0 dollars with no early termination fee. The contract on my z10 ends in Feb. Glad to be on a 2 year with the new phone. I'm not really someone that changes providers a lot so don't really care about contracts for a $0 upgrade.

I got a screen protector installed at the Rogers store on Bay and adelaide just before I caught my train. I couldn't find the zagg ishield at any of the stores for the z30. So using blackberry branded one.

Once I pop in my sim update the OS then do a restore I can give more feedback on the rest.
    08-26-14 05:06 PM
    I got my z30 on Saturday from shopblackberry (now that's another story)...I love the screen size and the battery as well. I've gone almost 24 hours with use. Albeit, I'm not on it 24/7, but much better that the z10. I went outdoors with it yesterday for the first time and I was a bit disappointed with the sharpness / brightness or lack thereof of the screen. The z10 was much better,but as I've read, you will get used to it with time. We'll see. As for cases I use th OEM pouch and holster. I too put a screen protector on it immediately.

Posted via CB10 with my z30
    08-26-14 05:12 PM
    ...oh, I'm on att here in Florida and I only get 4G. no biggie for me and to me it's just as fast as LTE. But then again, I'm not playing games or surfing the Internet all day or downloading.

08-26-14 05:14 PM
    Yeah; I read many of the threads concerning LTE on AT&T, including the list of cities where it works. It seems it should work for me, but the amount of discussion on the issue has caused some doubt...

Richard
    08-27-14 10:40 AM
    Yeah; I read many of the threads concerning LTE on AT&T, including the list of cities where it works. It seems it should work for me, but the amount of discussion on the issue has caused some doubt...

Richard
    Caused doubt in what sense?

08-27-14 11:06 AM
    I'm in a city that is listed in the thread as both can, and can't, get LTE on AT&T with no explanation as to either - as in, "hey it's listed as can, but it doesn't work" or...? Seems sketchy at best.

Richard
    08-27-14 11:40 AM
    I'm in a city that is listed in the thread as both can, and can't, get LTE on AT&T with no explanation as to either - as in, "hey it's listed as can, but it doesn't work" or...? Seems sketchy at best.

Richard
    Gotcha. I have only 4G here in a Florida town.. I don't see much of. A difference between the 4g and when I had LTE on my z10. Of course you can debate on why u have a phone with LTE capability and not be able to use it because you have a company that doesn't support it. That's totally understandable and a fair point. I've had my z30 for about 4 days now. Don't know if I will eventually sell it IF att supports any of the newer models coming out later in the year. But for now I'm good. Would I go back to the z10 and get LTE? I don't think so.....

08-27-14 11:46 AM
    I was even contemplating switching to Verizon just to get the full functionality of LTE and having a provider that supports it, but my discount through att from my wife's job is just to good to leave (28% discount)!!

08-27-14 11:48 AM
    Everyone has their gripes against this carrier or that carrier, but I got seriously hosed by Verizon many, many years ago - billing error on their part for hundreds of dollars, they flat out refused to fix it. I cancelled at the end of my contract and they tried to hold me hostage claiming that I never cancelled, and the contract auto-renewed. I got quite ugly with them and at the end of it I was able to cancel, and got them to back off the fees, too. I swore never again. Years later I went to work for a friend that provided a company phone via Verizon. I warned him of my experience, and it wasn't a few months later a similar thing happened to him and they again stonewalled him on it. Hated to tell him "told ya so" ... Collectively I've been with AT&T for around 10 years and always had excellent service with no billing screw-ups, so that makes it difficult to think about switching elsewhere.

Richard
    08-27-14 12:24 PM
    I hear ya. I had a bad experience with sprint /nextel and I will never go with them as well. So I completely understand. I've been with att since the "Cingular " days. So for me to leave them would have to be a big difference. Would them not carrying the next blackberry devices be a game changer? I don't know. T-Mobile sucks where I am, so that wouldn't be an option. Also, I travel a lot when I'm working so I'd need a carrier with the best coverage posible nationwide. (Verizon or ATT).

08-27-14 12:40 PM
    I don't know what you do on your phone, but you can check the threads here for folks that have the z30 and are on At&t. they don't have a problem with it whether they're on LTE or just 4G.

08-27-14 12:43 PM
    Yes! My first "AT&T" phone was my Motorola V220 on Cingular. I was in such a hurry to get OFF Verizon that I drove right into a truck stop and signed up at a little mobile phone kiosk inside the place. Have been happy with them ever since. Now if AT&T doesn't carry any of the new BB devices going forward? Well, we're already there with them not carrying the Z30. Some will jump ship, others will work around it. I'm on the fence at the moment with whether I want to work around and hope for the best, or stick with my current devices. In the future if working around doesn't turn out well (using a non-supported phone purchased elsewhere) I may have to look into switching carriers, not something I'm excited about.

Richard
    08-27-14 02:01 PM
    I hear ya. I had the motorola v551 and v557 I think. That was the "ish" back in the day.

08-27-14 02:07 PM
    Like I said. Check out the other threads with folks that have the 30 and are on att. I don't think anyone has complained except for the fact that some get LTE and others don't. And for those that don't get the LTE they seem to be OK with it, myself included.

08-27-14 02:09 PM
    Will I continue to support a carrier that doesn't support blackberry, that remains to be seen....lol....decisions, decisions.....

08-27-14 02:10 PM
    OK, I beat myself down and pulled the trigger. A little surprised that DR being based in Slovakia, working for BB based in Canada, feel justified in charging me sales tax but I guess the pressure is on in general for that and it's more and more common. Used to be they only charged you tax online if they operated in the same state you're in.

I already read all about shopblackberry so my expectations are appropriately set. Both our existing Z10's are still working fine so I'm in no huge hurry, but I did pay for the priority overnight shipping in hopes it moves things along.

Oh. Black one for me, white one for my girlfriend. I had to bug her to decide - she thinks it's for a midplate replacement on her Z10; she dropped it and the edge of the screen got a little blobby.

Richard
    08-27-14 03:27 PM
    Nice..... now if only I could persuade my wife to drop her galaxy and get a blackberry....lol...Good luck. hope everything works out well. I think you made a good choice.

08-27-14 03:34 PM
58 123