Hey Folks,

I'm currently a Q10 owner...that's been my little workhorse for about a year and a half. Been wanting to upgrade for a couple months now and my Christmas gifts kinda sucked this year (axe body wash, 3 packets of oreos and slim jims) so I wanted to treat myself. I've been lustfully eyeing a white passport since it came out but my finances aren't a big fan of that $600 minimum price tag so just a few minutes ago, I pulled the trigger and purchased a white Z30 for 250 (+tax and shipping). Seems like a steal.....but I'm wondering if it's a good purchase or should I have held out for the passport. Have never owned a full touch BB10 device so this is new territory for me. Regardless, what's been done is done..but if you guys were in my position, would you think it's worth it to get a Z30 or would you have held out for the passport?

Sound off!
    12-28-14 10:42 PM
    It's all about your budget.

For that reason - Z30 is a phenomenal phone! Loved mine.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    12-28-14 10:46 PM
    The Z30 does not lack in any way. Regardless of financial situation the Z30 is a great buy.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:48 PM
    Same here. Still happily using the Z30 and maybe get a second generation improved Passport a year from now.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:49 PM
    I upgraded from a z10 to a z30 last month at the sale in the US. Best decision I ever made. Before that had a BB Tour. I think most people will adapt to all touch easily and BB makes it really easy to use. Go for the upgrade to the z30.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    12-28-14 10:50 PM
    Ahh man, big mistake!!! You should have asked around. Z30 is horrible...

Nah, just kidding. It's rock solid reliable. It either great or good at everything. No weaknesses. As long as you do not have small hands, you will love it.

Posted via CB10
    Chris Chin likes this.
    12-28-14 10:54 PM
    I moved from the Z10 to the Z30.
    Not regretting my decision at all.

The battery life is phenomenal, the Paratek antenna gets a better range than most phones, the screen size is great (I don't use my tablet as much because the screen is a good size), you get used to the virtual keyboard, the dual stereo speakers are best in class and loud, the natural sound is hard to beat.

You've made a great choice, and welcome to Z family =)

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    user5240 likes this.
    12-28-14 11:25 PM
    Not long upgraded to a Z30 from a Z10 all on BES through work. No regrets at all. There is light years between the two for me. The battery life is what killed it with me on the Z10. I need it to last and I couldn't it to last as long as I needed. I am on call 24/7 so am constantly on the phone. Our IT guys gave me a Z30 to try out for battery life and its light years ahead. The size worried me somewhat compared to the Z10 before getting it but in in all honesty I hardly noticed and the extra screen size is so much more usable.
    My only gripe is that I have development mode locked out so I can’t put on a leak however I still have my Z10 which I wiped and managed to get a leak on at least to have a play with and see what all the fuss is about. Can’t wait for the update now.

I did have a play with the Passport. A fair few of the guys at work have them and for me I didn't like the size. Just my personal opinion. Loved the OS but for me just not practical size wise. Looks like a quality phone but not for my purposes and uses.

I am positive you will enjoy the Z30.
    joeragan likes this.
    12-29-14 12:39 AM
    Not crazy at all.. I've owned a passport for about a month now and just ordered a z30 as a backup about an hr ago as well. It really is a beautiful device and with 10.3.1 you won't be missing much at all.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:02 AM
    I changed from a Z10 to Z30 a couple of weeks back. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier. Most negative comments I've seen relate to its poorer screen resolution. I accept the Z10 does have a slightly better 'clarity' to it, but the Z30's screen in my view is perfectly acceptable.

I've also now installed the 1154/1155 leak on it. And I'm not regretting that either :-)

Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 02:44 AM
    All of the above! Moved from a Z10 to Z30 in October and my only regret as well was not starting my BlackBerry 10 experience with this device instead.

I updated my wife's Q10 last night (women are horrible at keeping things up to date , well at least my wife is) and man is that phone ever tiny! IMO even as a strictly communication device, the screen resolution and size is horrible. I'm seriously thinking of getting her the Classic once her contact is up. She's all about the PKB, so a Z30 is a no go for her and she avoids all-touch phones like the plague. But ya you won't be sorry for moving to the Z30, it's a beast!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-29-14 04:29 AM
    No both fine, passport is only for heavy work 200emails or w.e msg + per day.

Z30 can handle 50-75 easy even 150 without much problem.

I was on z10 too and it was just battery life.

I have passport and am eyeing z30. Someone I know getting so may just get it cuz then I can get rid of passport note 3 and nexus 7.
    12-29-14 07:44 AM
    Was going to hold out for the Classic but couldn't wait. Got the Z30 (my first BB10 device). Glad I did. A Lot of advantages to the bigger screen. Great device all round.

Posted via CB10
    RexdaleNap likes this.
    12-29-14 07:55 AM
    A Z30 for $250.00 that's a steel, I also own the passport but decided to sell it, it's just too wide and really I'd never use it to its fullest capacity anyway,I think personally it's more for business type folks.. just my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    12-29-14 09:49 AM
    Just to add I also had the classic but very disappointed with the tool belt and track pad, Blackberry made it smaller, so I just sold that too.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:51 AM
    Whoa whoa.... WHOOOA! Take a deep breath there OP. You're obviously new around here, yes? You don't just go and buy a BlackBerry Passport, you nuts?! There are forms to fill out, background checks to be made, character references etc... They've gotta find out if you are worthy! I suggest starting with reading these forums, maybe borrow and old curve for awhile and ease your way into something which is only reserved for a select few. You think you can just outright handle that kind of screen real estate? The resolution? Capacitive keyboard? 13 megapixel camera? 3450 mAh battery? I don't know you but it's a good thing I saw this thread to stop you before all hell broke loose! If you MUST upgrade, keep it simple with a Z30 and tell nobody about this Passport business! No need to thank me, just keep moving along. Sheeeesh, Newbs!

Wait..... this actually may be a good experiment to warn others. On 2nd thought, go ahead and buy one.... but NOT THE RED ONE!!!!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:03 AM
    At that price Z30 was the way to go. Was eyeing a Passport, but.....the cost difference won the day.

I bought on the Black Friday sale. Didn't need it and couldn't justify it as Q5 and Z10 are working great, but couldn't resist the sale..

Still haven't done much with the Z30, but it feels like a much more quality built device over the Z10 or Q5 and seems to do everything well, with no shortcomings. As far as the virtual keyboard goes, I can type faster on the great virtual keyboard of the Z10 but more accurately on the physical keyboard of the Q5. There is something about the tactile feel of a physical keyboard, that a touchscreen can't replicate.

So no you probably didn't need the Z30, but at the sale price, it is hard to say no. I don't think that you will regret it.
    12-29-14 10:06 AM
    Whoa whoa.... WHOOOA! Take a deep breath there OP. You're obviously new around here, yes? You don't just go and buy a BlackBerry Passport, you nuts?! There are forms to fill out, background checks to be made, character references etc... They've gotta find out if you are worthy! I suggest starting with reading these forums, maybe borrow and old curve for awhile and ease your way into something which is only reserved for a select few. You think you can just outright handle that kind of screen real estate? The resolution? Capacitive keyboard? 13 megapixel camera? 3450 mAh battery? I don't know you but it's a good thing I saw this thread to stop you before all hell broke loose! If you MUST upgrade, keep it simple with a Z30 and tell nobody about this Passport business! No need to thank me, just keep moving along. Sheeeesh, Newbs!

Wait..... this actually may be a good experiment to warn others. On 2nd thought, go ahead and buy one.... but NOT THE RED ONE!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Wtf lol

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:13 AM
    For that price, you will get more for your dollars. It is a good solid device, you won't want to go back to your tiny Q screen. Just have to give yourself a week or so to adjust to no keys.
    12-29-14 10:26 AM
    You're asking the choir! Of course we here in the Z30 Forum would say get the Z30! Even me as a new Z30 owner. It's a very good device and at $250 Unlocked, you can't possibly go wrong!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 02:54 PM
    It really is all about budget, as someone above said, OP. If the Z30 was what was in the budget for you, you're not making a bad decision in going with it. I love mine a year and a couple months into having it, no wishing I had the passport here instead. Not saying I would say no to a passport, but I would repeat my Z30 purchase again even now.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-29-14 07:27 PM
    I went from the Q10 to the Z30 and ive never looked back. You will love it make sure you load the latest leak with a auto loader easy peasy
    12-29-14 08:32 PM
    I've been a die hard physical keyboard user for the past 7 some odd years, much to the ridicule of everyone around me including my wife... and after reading all these forums posts and opinions of the great and mighty Z30 virtual keyboard, I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a z30 on the black friday sale. I too, was coming from a q10.

After a week and a half of waiting, I got my hands on the previous BlackBerry flagship... and i'm still not used to typing on glass. i'm much faster than day one, but there are days that I eye my q10 that sitting on my dresser and think about switching back.

I do a fair amount of typing on my phone and the bb10 virtual keyboard is nice, but to me it is a far cry from a physical keyboard.

However, if you use your phone for other things like media consumption and games, the z30 rocks. I watched a movie off my z30 last night, I had it hooked up to my tv via hdmi and controlled it with a wireless mouse with a USB otg cable with sound pumping through bluetooth headphones. I couldn't do that (nor did I want to try) with my q10 (for whatever reason movies looked weird streaming over hdmi on the q10).

I guess it all comes down to what you're using your BlackBerry for.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 01:25 AM
    I started with a Q5, then Z10.
    I've always wanted a Passport, but it was way too expensive, even during Black Friday week. But when I saw the price of Z30, I couldn't go wrong. It's a quality phone. But I do miss the physical keyboard - nothing beats it. So I might buy a Passport during Black Friday week 2015, if the price is right...

posted via my  Z30
    12-30-14 05:34 AM
    Wow...thanks for all the replies so far you guys. Feel a lot better about making the purchase. When I get it, I'll let everyone know my thoughts (which will probably just mirror what everyone has said..lol). I've been a pretty die hard physical keyboard fan myself. Went from the original pearl 8100 > torch 9800 (never used the virtual keyboard on there) > Bold 9900 > Q10 for personal devices and also rocked the 7290, 8700g, Bold 9000 (loooved this device) and Bold 9700 as work devices. We'll see if the Z30 sways me over to the full touch team permanently.
    12-30-14 06:00 AM
41 12