Hi everyone, It's been a few years since I've owned a BB, though in the past I have owned several. I am considering the Z30 but like many others, have concerns about apps, or more specifically, the lack of apps. I'm not an app hound and am currently using my iPhone 4s on verizon. I am tied into Google quite extensively as I use G+, Gmail, Google translate ... etc. My main concerns, and yes I am aware of the android 'integration' in BB10, is how well, if at all, these apps play with BB10. I also have several android phones including the Droid Maxx but I'm only using it on wifi.

I spend a lot of time using my keyboard and really like the Z30 keyboard though I have no problem with the accuracy of the 4s. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with G+ on the Z30 ... will I get notifications, etc. I KNOW there are work arounds for all of this but I'd prefer NOT to go that route ... i.e. using the browser to access G+, Google translate or Google maps.

I'm not a fanboy of any mobile OS, I use them all and still have a windows phone running 7.5 which I use on occasion. I like certain things about all the different OS'es ... they each have their own particular strengths and weaknesses

BBM is not an important app to me as I don't know a single person that lives nearby, that has a BB!!!

I am the type of person that will buy a phone based on certain things that I like about it ... loud ringer, strong vibrate, good keyboard, good battery life, legible screen in sunlight ....etc .. those are the things that matter to me so I base my purchases on those criteria.

So, will the Z30 work well with those apps?
    Any and all help/opinions will be appreciated

P.S. I will have to shell out full price so it's not a minor consideration
    08-03-14 11:32 AM
    I use a few Google products on my z30. Gmail integrates well in the blackberry hub, and it also works well through the Gmail app. I use Google maps for most of my mapping needs and it works great too. I also use a Google voice app called GVoice that works well. I mostly use it for making calls from USA to Canada. I don't use Google+ though.
    08-03-14 12:54 PM
    Leaving my love for BlackBerry aside, if you are really that deep into Google services, then I suggest an Android device. Specially since you mentioned no workarounds.
    08-03-14 01:03 PM
    As far as I know Google+ and Google Translate's apps don't work on BlackBerry 10 as they are tied into google services. The web sites for them work great but if you're not interested in using them I don't think there are any other options. The BlackBerry Z30 is the best phone I've ever had on a great OS which I much prefer to Android but I know it's not for everyone.
    srzjumper likes this.
    08-03-14 02:45 PM
    Z30 is a great device, however the build quality is poor. Check out the broken screen posts. This is what happened to my phone after it fell on a carpeted floor. Potential Z30 owner-dsc_0123.jpg
    08-03-14 02:48 PM
    Z30 is a great device, however the build quality is poor. Check out the broken screen posts. This is what happened to my phone after it fell on a carpeted floor. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0123.jpg 
Views:	1629 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	288765
    Dude, we get it. You dropped your phone on carpet and don't think it should have broken. However, I think the issue is less quality control and more the rock or hard object IN the carpet that impacted the top left corner of the screen leaving a very obvious impact point in the break pattern on your screen.

The carpet didn't break your screen. What was in the carpet did. That's not BBs fault.
    cbosdell, texn884, acovey and 2 others like this.
    08-03-14 03:07 PM
    Dude, we get it. You dropped your phone on carpet and don't think it should have broken. However, I think the issue is less quality control and more the rock or hard object IN the carpet that impacted the top left corner of the screen leaving a very obvious impact point in the break pattern on your screen.

The carpet didn't break your screen. What was in the carpet did. That's not BBs fault.
    I see iPhones and Android phones all the time with shattered screens and I'm sure many people here have dropped their Z30 without damage. I really don't see how you can blame BlackBerry for something that was clearly your fault (albeit unintentionally). I don't understand how posting about it for days helps anyone.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    08-03-14 04:36 PM
    I'm wanting to buy a Z30, or had been...and I am a BlackBerry fan (currently running a Z10).

But when I upgrade in October the Google Nexus 5 is top of my list...(sad to say).

I love the BlackBerry Hub, better than all other OS's...but then there are many things tempting me to GN5.

I'm wanting to get away from FB, I want to be able to use Google Now and I'll likely start a fresh with a Gmail account (good opportunity to lose baggage friends!) but I want to be able to do other basic things too...but i know I'm going to miss BB10...

I can feel the OP is wanting to take a giant leap of faith- as I am too.

Posted via Z10, UK based (Good luck Bla1ze as EiC!)
    08-03-14 05:06 PM
    Just do it...

Heavy user, mostly of BlackBerry (2005) but I am also a fan of tech; every now and then I try a different OS, but I always come back to a BlackBerry

Caribbean Z30
    08-03-14 05:19 PM
    Get the Z30. I just upgraded from a Z10 yesterday and this device is off the charts. Everything is so fluid and easy to maneuver and the sound quality and screen are clear and crisp. Add those features to 25 hours of battery power and BB10 and you have the best device on the market. I was hesitant to make the move, but it was an excellent decision.

Do it, you won't regret your decision.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    08-03-14 07:24 PM
    Z30 is a great device, however the build quality is poor. Check out the broken screen posts. This is what happened to my phone after it fell on a carpeted floor. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0123.jpg 
Views:	1629 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	288765
    I find the Z30 build quality to be excellent, very solid with glass fibre weave back and gorilla glass screen. I've dropped it accidentally without a case on concrete from a height of about 120 cms (4 feet), and only got a small scratch on one corner. From then on, I keep it in a protective case or shell.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    08-03-14 07:28 PM
    Hi everyone, It's been a few years since I've owned a BB, though in the past I have owned several. I am considering the Z30 but like many others, have concerns about apps, or more specifically, the lack of apps. I'm not an app hound and am currently using my iPhone 4s on verizon. I am tied into Google quite extensively as I use G+, Gmail, Google translate ... etc. My main concerns, and yes I am aware of the android 'integration' in BB10, is how well, if at all, these apps play with BB10. I also have several android phones including the Droid Maxx but I'm only using it on wifi.

I spend a lot of time using my keyboard and really like the Z30 keyboard though I have no problem with the accuracy of the 4s. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with G+ on the Z30 ... will I get notifications, etc. I KNOW there are work arounds for all of this but I'd prefer NOT to go that route ... i.e. using the browser to access G+, Google translate or Google maps.

I'm not a fanboy of any mobile OS, I use them all and still have a windows phone running 7.5 which I use on occasion. I like certain things about all the different OS'es ... they each have their own particular strengths and weaknesses

BBM is not an important app to me as I don't know a single person that lives nearby, that has a BB!!!

I am the type of person that will buy a phone based on certain things that I like about it ... loud ringer, strong vibrate, good keyboard, good battery life, legible screen in sunlight ....etc .. those are the things that matter to me so I base my purchases on those criteria.

So, will the Z30 work well with those apps?
    Any and all help/opinions will be appreciated

P.S. I will have to shell out full price so it's not a minor consideration
    I have no problem using Gmail via the BlackBerry Hub on my Z30. Works very well.

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    08-03-14 07:29 PM
    If you are tied to all the Google stuff, you're better off with an Android or you're gonna have to use the web browser for some of it, I'm afraid. Other than Google+...this phone is da bomb! I wouldn't trade it for the world. And you will love it.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    08-03-14 07:29 PM
    Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 07:35 PM
    The Z30 does not use Gorilla Glass.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    08-03-14 07:35 PM
    I'm wanting to buy a Z30, or had been...and I am a BlackBerry fan (currently running a Z10).

But when I upgrade in October the Google Nexus 5 is top of my list...(sad to say).

I love the BlackBerry Hub, better than all other OS's...but then there are many things tempting me to GN5.

I'm wanting to get away from FB, I want to be able to use Google Now and I'll likely start a fresh with a Gmail account (good opportunity to lose baggage friends!) but I want to be able to do other basic things too...but i know I'm going to miss BB10...

I can feel the OP is wanting to take a giant leap of faith- as I am too.

Posted via Z10, UK based (Good luck Bla1ze as EiC!)
    I was in a Future Shop store earlier today and was playing with a Google Nexus 5. I have to say I liked it. I've always much preferred Google's implementation of Android over Samsung's, anyway.

I have a feeling that a Nexus 5 might be my next phone if I don't end up upgrading to a Z30, or possibly even the rumoured BlackBerry 'Ontario' device that might be released in September.
    08-04-14 03:16 PM
    The Z30 does not use Gorilla Glass.

Posted via CB10
    Plenty of other equally good glasses that are not "name brand " that provide the same protection.

Besides that, you won't get a G+ app, but I am glad you managed to get a social circle using it.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 03:26 PM
    Well, translate looks like it works pretty good to me. Potential Z30 owner-img_20140804_163306.png

I would not expect anything from Google now or Google plus, as both those hook into your account for stuff.

I don't think anything with in app purchases would work, either. At least in the apps I've looked at, it's been broken.
    08-04-14 03:35 PM
    Thank you for all the replies. I was pretty sure that G+ was out of the question without using the browser ... not the end of the world. I DO see that there is a google talk app, which is now called Hangouts in the Android world, so that might work for me. I'm not an Android fan but some of their apps are very useful, especially Google Maps... Google now, I can live without though it's handy to ask a question and get a spoken reply ... lazy man's way to get info, haha.

I am still seriously considering this phone, though I wish Verizon wasn't asking $500 for an outright purchase!!!
    08-05-14 11:07 AM
    Thank you for all the replies. I was pretty sure that G+ was out of the question without using the browser ... not the end of the world. I DO see that there is a google talk app, which is now called Hangouts in the Android world, so that might work for me. I'm not an Android fan but some of their apps are very useful, especially Google Maps... Google now, I can live without though it's handy to ask a question and get a spoken reply ... lazy man's way to get info, haha.

I am still seriously considering this phone, though I wish Verizon wasn't asking $500 for an outright purchase!!!
    It's a great device. If you make the move I think you'll really enjoy it.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    08-05-14 08:46 PM

I'd suggest looking on Swappa or eBay for a Verizon Z30. You could probably get one for around $350-$400 and save some money.
    08-05-14 09:43 PM
    I have a Z30. Gmail works fine, as one would expect. I have a Google+ account, but it is not something I use daily. However, when I do use it, I use it on the Z30 browser. I have the Google site bookmarked in the browser, but almost always shows up in the 'Recent' pages that show up when you open the browser, so three taps and I can access Google+. I also do receive email notifications of stuff happening on Google+. I can't say if it's anything like the notifications one receives on an Android device, but I do get them.
    I don't have many BBM contacts, but I find with the Channels, I use it similarly as I use Google+ as far as following pages I find interesting.
    As for the build quality, I find it to be outstanding and my original one held up well for not being in a case, until I dropped it on concrete. I'm pretty sure nearly all phones would break in a similar circumstance with no case.
    With the Hub, I find it very efficient to switch in and out of various accounts for messaging, as well as switching from apps or the browser back to messaging. The keyboard is outstanding. This is really an outstanding messaging device. And the browser is excellent, especially on the big screen.
    08-05-14 10:26 PM
    Oddly enough, even though I DO use Google services regularly, I'm NOT using my Droid Maxx as my active phone. ... still using my 2+ year old iPhone 4s. I think the only reason I'm using that is for iMessage and I like the smaller size (ok, I fed some of you a line, haha).... Android keyboards and I just do NOT get on well. I have a lot of older phones that I use over wifi when I'm at home so having the iPhone as my active phone is not really a hindrance.

I think BBM channels sounds interesting and thank you for the suggestion regarding Swappa .. the main draw with buying from Verizon is that I can bill most of the cost and also I have a store right in town, in case something goes wrong .. knock on wood.

How about weather apps? Does weatherbug make a bb app? I like the Spark feature that shows when there is lightning in your area. Also Yahoo weather looks fantastic on IOS and Android .. believe it or not!!

I don't have a single game on my android phone and only have angry birds and pba bowling on my iphone ... tough to play on a 3.5" screen!

Thanks again, you guys are great
    08-06-14 09:14 AM