I really want a Z30, but I have a couple of questions I'd like you guys to help me with:
    - will I be fine as a college student with it (or would it be better if I got Android because of apps I might need and all)?
    - is the screen THAT bad or is it actually a pleasure to look at? And how solid is the screen?
    - is the device itself solid? (I heard things about volume keys rattling and the phone being plastic and flimsy)
    - with Snap and the "patching kit", do you find that you get most of the apps you want to work fine? (And would Google Maps work? That's something I really need)
    - Does the camera take good pictures or are they grainy/blurry...? Same with the videos.
    - If I buy it from Shopblackberry, do I get warranty? ($520 is a lot of money to lose if my device gets damaged somehow)

Well, that's all I could think of right now. Please guys, help convince me. I'm kind of in an Android family, so help me choose the Z30 over a Nexus. Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!
    07-31-14 07:32 PM
    I'd say ,buy it and return it if you're not happy.Are you familiar with BB10 os?because there is a learning curve.The camera is great and you have 3 speakers,along with a great in your hand feel.The battery is not going to let you down and you will be envied by everyone around you.
    07-31-14 07:44 PM
    I've spent enough time in the forums and on Crackberry to know my way around BB10
    07-31-14 07:54 PM
    I have one for sale like new 350$. Best phone I ever owned, I have a white one now so don't need my black one.
    Planning to get Z30, but have couple questions-img_20140727_204809.jpg
    Planning to get Z30, but have couple questions-img_20140727_204625.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 07:59 PM
    It depends in what apps you would need. Not many games apps I think. But most of important apps on Android can be installed on BlackBerry 10. I don't know about Google maps as I have no experience with it, since I found the BlackBerry maps decent enough to do what it is intended to. The display is not bad. Not bad at all. Maybe a little bit of color saturation that is the characteristics of AMOLED display, but it is a kind of preference. I find myself liking the display. The build quality is solid. It doesn't feel plasticky at all in my hand, although I don't know about the white version. The black has a glass weave finish at the back door which feels nice to the hand and looks very nice. One thing you're going to love is the battery life, keyboard, and the browser. If you find yourself emailing, messaging, and browsing all day on your smartphone, then this is the phone that is made for you. It is very unlikely that you would have to charge your phone before you go to sleep on normal use. Trust me. Buy this phone.
    07-31-14 08:13 PM
    I'm a college/university student and I use my Z30 more often than my classmates use their iPhones and Androids. I've used it for really quick edits for homework before handing them in, or for a quick edit of a PowerPoint before I present it with the Z30 (via Miracast).

But if you're really worried about school, check what your school uses for an online learning module. D2L doesn't have a mobile app but a mobile website, so it doesn't matter what phone you use.
    John Pawling likes this.
    07-31-14 08:59 PM
    I'm not a college student however in everyday use as a business owner it is unbeatable. Battery, hub, reception and a camera that I use everyday for work just to name a few. As far as warranty I bought mine from Verizon.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    07-31-14 09:08 PM
    I can't answer it all, but for what I can.

It feels solid and we'll build. The back not as sexy as say the Z10's fake leather. But the all glass front just looks and feels smooth. I'm not sure how to convey it. Not quite the same as other phones I've had.

The screen's resolution is lower, but it's still good and OLED certainly doesn't hurt. There's something to love about glowing pixels and all.

You should get a regular warranty buying it outright from BlackBerry and I think you can still get it in white for $400.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:48 PM
    I'm not a college student however in everyday use as a business owner it is unbeatable. Battery, hub, reception and a camera that I use everyday for work just to name a few. As far as warranty I bought mine from Verizon.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.3253 on AT&T
    What STA of your z30 on AT&T, sir? I would like to know because I'm using AT&T in Houston TX, so I need the best STA for that carrier.
    Thank you, sir
    07-31-14 10:04 PM
    It doesn't really matter. Some will say get a STA100-5. Because there is a small amount of towers in only certain areas that would get LTE. So you can use any model and get 4G on AT&T.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 10:09 PM
    I have one for sale like new 350$. Best phone I ever owned, I have a white one now so don't need my black one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140727_204809.jpg 
Views:	1243 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	288171
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140727_204625.jpg 
Views:	1240 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	288172

Posted via CB10
    Which model number is this?
    08-01-14 12:42 AM
    I really want a Z30, but I have a couple of questions I'd like you guys to help me with:
    - will I be fine as a college student with it (or would it be better if I got Android because of apps I might need and all)?
    - is the screen THAT bad or is it actually a pleasure to look at? And how solid is the screen?
    - is the device itself solid? (I heard things about volume keys rattling and the phone being plastic and flimsy)
    - with Snap and the "patching kit", do you find that you get most of the apps you want to work fine? (And would Google Maps work? That's something I really need)
    - Does the camera take good pictures or are they grainy/blurry...? Same with the videos.
    - If I buy it from Shopblackberry, do I get warranty? ($520 is a lot of money to lose if my device gets damaged somehow)

Well, that's all I could think of right now. Please guys, help convince me. I'm kind of in an Android family, so help me choose the Z30 over a Nexus. Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!
    I'm a university student with a Z30 and it's definitely been a productivity workhorse for me. The screen is absolutely fine haha definitely not pixelated. Device has a nice weight and feels extremely solid I'm the hand. And with the Android apps, it really depends on the apps; some work well, others are just meh. The camera is good in light but just alright in low light.
    08-01-14 02:48 AM
    It feels solid and we'll build. The back not as sexy as say the Z10's fake leather. But the all glass front just looks and feels smooth. I'm not sure how to convey it. Not quite the same as other phones I've had.

Posted via CB10
    I have the Z10 and Z30, and the Z30 to me feels a lot better than the Z10. The Z10 battery cover is rubberized, it's not even an attempt at fake leather.

I guess everyone thinks different things, but for me at least, the Z30 feels far more premium than my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 02:56 AM

Build quality is great, no rattles etc and the phone feels solid. Easy to actually use too with the weave back (I came from a Xperia Z1 which was horrible to hold).
    Google Maps works fine (installed via Snap) although it prompts you to sign in when you open the app, which you can't as it's a Google service. Skip this step and the maps works as expected apart from it wont store any saved places as it needs the Google sign in.
    Camera is great outdoors (especially HDR mode) but indoors it struggles (as did my Xperia and that was supposed to be a superb camera-phone !) - you can back up your photos to Box, works really well.

HTH
    Richard
    08-01-14 05:21 AM
    Wow, thanks guys! I like what I'm hearing so far. Has anyone had a bad experience with the Z30? If so, would you mind sharing? (I need to know what to expect)
    And by the way, does anyone know if Shopblackberry gives you warranty? I can't seem to see it anywhere.
    08-01-14 07:32 AM
    If you are college student then go for other device . the positive aspects of Z 30 are
    1. Great Battery Life .
    2. Fantastic speakers and Sound quality .
    3. excellent call quality .
    4. for business users it is unbeatable .
    08-01-14 07:37 AM
    The other devices being Android ones?
    08-01-14 08:48 AM
    The z30 is a well made device with an excellent keyboard interface! The z30 could substitute for a laptop for certain academic tasks. Then at home the z30 works very well with a large screen (plus BT mouse and keyboard) .

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:33 AM
    Which model number is this?
    STA100-2

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 09:36 AM
    Does anyone know anything about warranty?
    08-01-14 02:54 PM
    All phones have a 1 year factory warranty

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 04:14 PM
    Does anyone know anything about warranty?
    Doesn't BlackBerry have a one year warranty on all their devices?

Doc
    Z30STA100-3 on Verizon Wireless

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 07:15 PM
    You can look at some of my previous posts if you want to know how awesome the Z30 is but one question that wasn't answered above was regarding the camera, at first I relied on the time shift feature to get clear pictures but that can slow you down if you want to take multiple pictures. I then discovered the "image stabilization" feature and whoa! It takes fantastic photos. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out. It has much better lighting than the time shift feature.

If you tend to repeat yourself at all in your conversations your keyboard will know what you want to say before you say it. It's probably the most amazing feature of the phone and a huge time saver. Flick typing should be all the rage!

Good luck with your decision!

I could go on and on about it. SD card, FM radio, charge your friends iPhone, Miracast. Awesome phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 07:31 PM
    Screen is great. But for me it's a bit dark. Otherwise it's amazing. My volume keys rattle a bit. Here is a photo I took in lousy light.
    Planning to get Z30, but have couple questions-img_20140704_211122_edit.jpg

BB Proud
    faithfuluser and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-01-14 07:57 PM
    Just got my z30 (passed my z10 to my wife). For your question about display, it is a bit of step down from the z10 and your 5s in terms of clarity (I have a 5 for work). Picture something similar to the galaxy s3. This can be a bit disappointing with some of the killer displays out now, but as blackberry's best current smartphone, if you like bb10 and consider the whole package (battery life, speakers, performance, feel in hand), than its a nice device.

I do look forward to a true 'Z50' flagship device for the improved display alone but am enjoying the phone. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 11:06 PM
40 12