Had this exact same issue with my z10, running 10.2.1....

Unit is set for the system to save camera images to the SD card. After photos are snapped, on some pictures, the preview is there, but when i attempt to open the pic, the generic picture icon is displayed.

So, I have a preview, but no actual usable image I can send, save, etc...

I have changed everything over: phone, OS, and micro SD card from my previous setup. Same problem developed again....

32gb micro SD card

Any insight would be helpful !!!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-15 11:10 PM
    Have you tried a different SD card? Have you tried reformatted the card? (Backup your files first). What happens when you connect your phone to a computer and browse to the Camera folder on the SD card?
    09-14-15 11:29 PM
    Can you view the content of you media card on a PC?
    Is the card write-protected? (little pin at the side to lock it from beeing written/erased/overwritten)
    Have you the same issue if you save the pics on the phone memory?
    Have you tried to open older photos with the picture/file manager of your phone or only in the camera App preview?

It is very strange... since you have changed OS and card, I think about the human factor, we all make errors... check up the settings thoroughly

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    09-14-15 11:31 PM
    If you chose HDR, try the option to save original or turn off HDR for example... I think there must be sth in the settings that causes your issue

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    09-14-15 11:34 PM
    I had that suddenly happen, as you said, on the Z10. The pictures were there when I opened the FileManager and looked around to find them. I never figured out what was wrong but since I was touring National Parks, I wanted to email or share pictures. So for the rest of the trip I saved them to Internal Memory (Device). I would immediately copy then to the sd-card for backup. The next OS update fixed it. (Fingers crossed) It has not happened on my Z30 in over a year with lots of pictures taken.

I like some of the suggestions - copy data off the card and reformat it. Or like I did until you can figure out where - change and save to DEVICE and copy to the card.

Good luck
    09-15-15 08:57 AM
    I had files on my SD card magically vanish one time. My z30 was plugged in to my PC. Using the PC, I renamed a file on the phone's SD card. Next thing I notice, phone indicates that the folder where the file in question was is empty, yet there were many files in that folder.

I plugged the SD card directly to my computer. Files are there. I plug it back to the phone and check the phone, files don't exist.

Weird

Do what the other people are asking you. Get an SD card reader, plug the SD card into the reader, plug the reader into your computer and see if the files exist.
    09-15-15 10:46 AM
    I had files on my SD card magically vanish one time. My z30 was plugged in to my PC. Using the PC, I renamed a file on the phone's SD card. Next thing I notice, phone indicates that the folder where the file in question was is empty, yet there were many files in that folder.

I plugged the SD card directly to my computer. Files are there. I plug it back to the phone and check the phone, files don't exist.

Weird

Do what the other people are asking you. Get an SD card reader, plug the SD card into the reader, plug the reader into your computer and see if the files exist.
    Normally that is due to the computer used to manipulate the files or folders doesn't cause the BlackBerry to re-cache the changes. If the BlackBerry uses a non-updated cache, after messing around with the files, then it will get very confused looking for stuff that isn't there or not seeing stuff that is.
    The fix is to trigger a re-cache of the system.
    To trigger a re-cache, perform a soft reset on the Blackberry (or a hard reset "battery pull" on a removable battery type BlackBerry):
    On a Z30, a soft reset is done by:
    1. Press and hold the Volume Up and Down buttons at the same time, you will know you pressed them at the same time if you see a "screen shot..." message.
    2. Hold the buttons down, you will see the screen shot message, the screen will tune off, the LED will blink red once, the word "BlackBerry" will appear on the screen, and then the OS loading animation begins.
    3. When the animation begins, release the buttons.
    4. The device will now boot up.

After the device boots up, it will be sluggish and glitchy for up to five minutes as all caches are rebuilt, back ground apps and services are loaded, and core systems are started up.
    Just let if set for five minutes and then start checking for the "lost" files.
    09-15-15 11:01 AM
    Could it be that the SD card isn't able to write / create the files fast enough? I had the same issues and i am switching to a class 10 64gb SanDisk card to see if that is the issue.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 12:28 PM
    Normally that is due to the computer used to manipulate the files or folders doesn't cause the BlackBerry to re-cache the changes. If the BlackBerry uses a non-updated cache, after messing around with the files, then it will get very confused looking for stuff that isn't there or not seeing stuff that is.
    The fix is to trigger a re-cache of the system.

I learned something today; the caching part, that is. Very, very useful info. THANKS! Next time this happens, I'll give the soft reboot a try.

I had it happen one more time, but in a different circumstance: I pulled the SD card out of a z3 I have, plugged into an SD reader, then my PC. Copied about 4 gigs worth of mp3s onto the SD card, then plugged the SD card back into the z3. Z3 says there are no files where I've put them. I didn't have time to screw with the whole thing, so I just let it be for now. Few days later, when the battery got down to zero (current user of the phone has a habit of not charging it until it dies), the phone did its safety shut-down ("low battery-voltage, turning itself off to prevent battery damage"-thing when it comes to lithium-ion batteries). I think that this battery drain caused the phone to undergo a soft re-start the next time it was started up when charged. Guess what, after that, I noticed a few days later that the files were visible on the phone. I think you're on to something.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    09-15-15 02:00 PM
    OP hasn't been back.

minor CB-rant:

You know, when one starts a thread, KrakBerry should default to one being immediately notified (by email, or whatever means) when someone posts something in that thread. If I started the thread, obviously I want to know that somebody is replying to it, no? I've created threads before, then forgot to subscribe to notifications, and then wondered why no one has replied to it.

Sure, maybe it's a way to prevent being spammed with emails for very post, but on another forum I'm on, there is a neat solution for that:

I create a thread, many people reply to it, I get a notification that the first person has replied (and it contains a message that other people might have replied since, but further notification will be suppressed until I visit the thread again). Logical.
    09-15-15 02:14 PM
    I learned something today; the caching part, that is. Very, very useful info. THANKS! Next time this happens, I'll give the soft reboot a try.

I had it happen one more time, but in a different circumstance: I pulled the SD card out of a z3 I have, plugged into an SD reader, then my PC. Copied about 4 gigs worth of mp3s onto the SD card, then plugged the SD card back into the z3. Z3 says there are no files where I've put them. I didn't have time to screw with the whole thing, so I just let it be for now. Few days later, when the battery got down to zero (current user of the phone has a habit of not charging it until it dies), the phone did its safety shut-down ("low battery-voltage, turning itself off to prevent battery damage"-thing when it comes to lithium-ion batteries). I think that this battery drain caused the phone to undergo a soft re-start the next time it was started up when charged. Guess what, after that, I noticed a few days later that the files were visible on the phone. I think you're on to something.
    Either that or you didn't let the Z3 cache the card when it was popped back in. That process can take a few minutes in some cases.
    09-15-15 02:52 PM
    OP hasn't been back.

minor CB-rant:

You know, when one starts a thread, KrakBerry should default to one being immediately notified (by email, or whatever means) when someone posts something in that thread. If I started the thread, obviously I want to know that somebody is replying to it, no? I've created threads before, then forgot to subscribe to notifications, and then wondered why no one has replied to it.

Sure, maybe it's a way to prevent being spammed with emails for very post, but on another forum I'm on, there is a neat solution for that:

I create a thread, many people reply to it, I get a notification that the first person has replied (and it contains a message that other people might have replied since, but further notification will be suppressed until I visit the thread again). Logical.
    May be his data plan is over, searching the net for answers
    May be he is a double-shift worker who has not the time to check out every hour
    May be he is wiping his phone and reloading his OS
    May be he cares about a family problem which deserves all his attention

Oh may be he has night when you have day!
    It's 6:30 am where I live... I just had 7 hours of sleep... should I have answered 2 hours earlier so that you could send a comment to this in my wake up time?

When we help, we should not expect to always be thanked.
    We know we gave our best with a good intention and it's the other's turn now.

Polotis likes this.
    09-15-15 11:24 PM
    Your card is corrupt.
    09-16-15 12:12 AM
    Your card is corrupt.
    That is quite possible. Someone on the Android forum was having issues with videos and parts of pictures missing. He finally discovered his sd-card is a fake!

But while, so far (fingers crossed) it has not occurred on my Z30, it did suddenly crop up on the Z10. Everything had been fine. Never an issue with pictures on the card after I took them. They were there, I could share them via bbm or email. Then in the middle of my vacation, bam, same issue. The picture was there immediately when I took it. But if I took another, the prior picture was unavailable via camera or photo apps. I could find it via the FileManager.
    09-16-15 01:27 AM

When we help, we should not expect to always be thanked.
    We know we gave our best with a good intention and it's the other's turn now.
    Just to clarify, in case there is a misunderstanding: I was ranting about the website's default settings, not about OP.

The intro of my rant is unclear, I admit, so I guess I have myself to blame for the confusion.
    09-16-15 04:32 AM
    Had the same problem recently on my Z10 (well, I don't know if I deleted them by mistake or they simply disappeared), but I recovered them rather quickly with an old recovery tool.

In case you don't have something better, this one is free and it works: Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery 3.1 Free Download

It only works for SD card data, not on the internal storage (even if it can "see" it)
    09-16-15 04:43 AM
    Yep. New AD card too. Installed it, formated it, and then began to use it. Didn't take any shortcuts.

Not sure where to go from here......

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 11:32 PM
    Yep. New AD card too. Installed it, formated it, and then began to use it. Didn't take any shortcuts.

Not sure where to go from here......

Posted via CB10
    Did you try the recovery tool that I recommended in my previous post?
    09-17-15 05:13 AM
    I'll say what I said earlier: your card is corrupt

I was given two SanDisk cards when I bought two z30's at Staples stores. Both of them have the same problem and two different phones.
    Tried formatting, no dice. Save to device memory for now.
    09-17-15 09:44 PM
    Apparently, as I found out recently, that certain SD cards go into read only mode when they go bad as protection against further corruption. In my case it occurred much like the OP's experience -- pictures would 'disappear ' -- I tried reformatting several different ways with no luck and eventually started haunting Google searches, lucking onto a few posts telling that one should 'expect' failures. My failure happened after seven months on a 64Gb card. Warranty was good so got a refund.

I'll be watching in future and will be sure to have not only a spare but to make sure of backing up.

Bring back random taglines!
    09-17-15 10:42 PM
    Yeah. Could just be 2 bad cards. I hate using the internal memory card pic and music storage, but may have to to not lose info.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 11:46 AM
    Hiya all.
    The problem as described is prevalent on my classic as well (photo shows in preview but is not accessible).
    One interesting thing of note:
    I have the Gadget Box app. The magnifier tool gives the ability to take a picture. The app pictures have never failed to store and be used normally; they are fully accessible. This fact questions the corrupt card theory.
    Presently trying various ideas in an attempt to firmly nail down the issue. If successful, I will post again.

Tim
    10-07-15 07:34 AM
    I have the same problem, If I restart my phone the pictures are now on my SD card.
    10-08-15 08:34 PM