*This issue has been resolved*
    *For future reference I have included diagnostic steps at the bottom of this main post*

Thanks to everyone who helped in this thread, I got the phone to connect!

-This is one of the stranger issues I've had.

1. I plug the phone in I get a notification from my computer and phone that it has connected.

2. Phone does not show up in link.

3. I've tried multiple computers.

4. I've tried another Z30 (running 10.2) I'm on 10.3

5. Unistalled BlackBerry desktop software, reinstalled everything.

6. Phone will sometimes get a wifi connection to link, connection lasts after I turn wifi off on the z30 and the phone is plugged in.

I've ruled out a bad cable, bad computer, bad cellphone and bad desktop software. Is it possible that upgrading to 10.3 could do this? I had restored the phone via link so 10.3 must have worked then.

I've tried USB mass storage on and off. [

Edit: Tried sachesi, neither works. I connected my brothers Z30 to both link and sachesi without issue. Looking to backup before going to 10.3.2.5 or higher.

Edit 2: Have toggled wifi access off in BB link.

Edit 3: Have tried multiple USB slots with a brand new data cable.

SOLUTION
    1. Try several data cables
    2. Check cable quality; aftermarket cables don't always work and some cables are charge only (thatplaybookguy)
    3. Try multiple usb ports & multiple computers (if available) (Lostboy5151)
    4. Try another device (if avalable) (Lostboy5151)
    5. Restart devices (computer and phone) (10_z_no_gimmick)
    6. Hard reset (phone)
    7. Turn off USB mass storage (John Viera)
    8.Toggle wifi access off in BB Link/ turn off wifi (F2)
    9. Settings>Device connections>Allow connections. Toggle off, then on. Try again (miched2)
    10. Clean your device. Dust builds up in the ports and can cause a bad connection (Lostboy5151)
    11. Uninstall BB Desktop Software including drivers. Re-install newest available version of BB Link
    12. Keep trying. Try again in 15 minutes. Try again the next day. (miched2)

Other possible solutions:
    -Upgrade OS (though you will lose your device's data if you cannot connect to Link and backup/restore) (Lostboy5151)
    -Try both BB Link and Sachesi (https://github.com/xsacha/Sachesi/releases) (tollfeeder)
    -If you're on windows 8 ,8.1 when you install the software "run as administrator" and the first time you open the program ":run as administrator" (Lostboy5151)

A bit more info at the bottom of the thread going more into detail about driver issues (Lostboy5151) and other backup methods in case no resolution is found (F2). Alternate solution availabe as well (thatplaybookguy)
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kurchak31; 05-18-15 at 02:30 AM.
    05-16-15 02:39 PM
    Alternative route - do you really need Link? What about Sachesi?
    05-16-15 03:23 PM
    You said you tried another device. The Z10
    I'm not clear.... did link recognize the other device???

I'm trying to ascertain if it's a driver issue.

ALso, turn off Wi-Fi access on Link
    05-16-15 03:26 PM
    If you've tried multiple computers, I assume you've installed link on those and the drivers, so I won't tell you to do again.

Check this, go to settings, storage and access, access over USB, and make sure mass storage is OFF.

Hopefully it helps.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-16-15 03:29 PM
    This has happened to me a time or two with my Z10 and Passport.
    what I do is switch to another USB port and sometimes have to do that a few times .
    Other times, I'll keep the phone plugged in and reboot my computer and then it's finds the driver and connects.

Mass storage should be OFF!

ONe last thing. If you're on windows 8 ,8.1 when you install the software "run as administrator" and the first time you open the program ":run as administrator"
    05-16-15 03:34 PM
    Alternative route - do you really need Link? What about Sachesi?
    Yes, didn't mention. Tried both and neither worked.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 03:54 PM
    You said you tried another device. The Z10
    I'm not clear.... did link recognize the other device???

I'm trying to ascertain if it's a driver issue.

ALso, turn off Wi-Fi access on Link
    I tried my brother's Z30. It connected to link and sachesi without issue. I have tried wifi access on and off with neither working.
    05-16-15 04:02 PM
    If you've tried multiple computers, I assume you've installed link on those and the drivers, so I won't tell you to do again.

Check this, go to settings, storage and access, access over USB, and make sure mass storage is OFF.

Hopefully it helps.

Work Wide and Prosper
    Thanks for the input. I have tried mass storage both on and off with no luck.
    05-16-15 04:04 PM
    This has happened to me a time or two with my Z10 and Passport.
    what I do is switch to another USB port and sometimes have to do that a few times .
    Other times, I'll keep the phone plugged in and reboot my computer and then it's finds the driver and connects.

Mass storage should be OFF!

ONe last thing. If you're on windows 8 ,8.1 when you install the software "run as administrator" and the first time you open the program ":run as administrator"
    I have had the same issue before with bad cables and having to use different USB ports. This time I am using a brand new data cable and have tried it in 4 USB slots (2 on each computer). I'll try the run as administrator advice but since my brothers Z30 connects I doubt that will solve the issue.
    05-16-15 04:07 PM
    If I'm reading correctly you haven't tried reinstalling the OS on your device.
    If that the case, you have a corrupt system file on your phone.

I'd suggest upgrading your OS with an autoloader and see if that solves the problem.
    otherwise, I'm stumped!

Will continue to try to help find the problem for you!
    05-16-15 06:55 PM
    If I'm reading correctly you haven't tried reinstalling the OS on your device.
    If that the case, you have a corrupt system file on your phone.

I'd suggest upgrading your OS with an autoloader and see if that solves the problem.
    otherwise, I'm stumped!

Will continue to try to help find the problem for you!
    Thanks lost boy! I'm convinced it is something os related because that is the only difference between the two phones.

Problem is want to load a new os but need to backup first! To backup I need link/sachesi to recognize the device.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 10:41 PM
    I guess I might suggest giving up on the Link/Sachesi backup and doing a MANUAL backup using other methods. But first, what do you want to backup? There are apps (Backup Pro, Ultimate backup, others) that can backup and restore Contacts and Calendar. If you sync to the Cloud (gmail, outlook.com, yahoo) that also can serve as a backup. I only manually backup music, photos, and documents and never use Link. And generally most apps you have purchased can be reacquired if you use the same BBID, although downloading again can be a pain and you do lose game progress. Clearly, you have to setup email accounts and other settings which, I admit can be tedious.

Have you tried turning off wifi before using Link? Some folks have had that work. Have you tried immediately after a reboot of both your computer and phone?

Good luck.
    05-17-15 09:10 AM
    go here libusb download 1.0 ​libusb-1.0.9 (2012-04-20) install and then restart computer and fixed. bookmark that link n case of future issues. Back up needed files to your micro sd. apps will all be in various stores downloads sections that you use. A very simple fix that took me two years to find.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    05-17-15 09:20 AM
    I too often face that issue. What I do is keep guessing and trying a few times until I get it to work : unplugging then re plugging the cable usually helps, otherwise I 1/change the port, 2/close and re open link on either pc or device , 3/restart pc and/or device.

Hope it helps till we find a fix...

Z30 / 10.3.1.2558
    05-17-15 09:39 AM
    go here libusb download 1.0 ​libusb-1.0.9 (2012-04-20) install and then restart computer and fixed. bookmark that link n case of future issues. Back up needed files to your micro sd. apps will all be in various stores downloads sections that you use. A very simple fix that took me two years to find.
    I too often face that issue. What I do is keep guessing and trying a few times until I get it to work : unplugging then re plugging the cable usually helps, otherwise I 1/change the port, 2/close and re open link on either pc or device , 3/restart pc and/or device.

Hope it helps till we find a fix...

Z30 / 10.3.1.2558

Yep, It definitely seems to be touch and go in most of the cases I've heard and had to do myself.
    And great find BookGuy. That's a keeper.

OP.... Hope you get this working. If not, I'm sure you'll get more replies to this issue!
    10_z_no gimmick likes this.
    05-17-15 11:52 AM
    Two things :

1. Settings>Device connections>Allow connections. Toggle off, the on. Try again.

2. Wait 15 minutes. I know it sounds weird, but every time my connection fails, and I become distracted doing other things, I find the pop up screen asking for the device password on my PC screen.

Wish there was a 'reconnect' button on Link like the one on Blend.

Zipped up from my Z30 STA 100-6
    05-17-15 01:39 PM
    this might sound strange but are you using the usb cable that came with your BB or an aftermarket cable. It sometimes does make a difference.
    05-17-15 02:55 PM
    Another thing that never seems to come up:
    Cleaning your device. Dust builds up in the ports and can cause a bad connection.
    I use condensed air to clean the ports and the buttons!

Give it a shot (no pun intended!)
    05-17-15 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the responses guys, I'm still listening to all ideas. I'll give these a shot when in a few hours and report back.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 05:04 PM
    About dat switching USB ports...I use W7 Pro and I routinely have this problem when plugging in an ordinary USB thumb drive: W7 seems to be saying "Do I really want to do this?" If it were me writing W7 code, I would be really concerned when someone were to plug in a 32 or 64 GB drive and super curious just what is on this drive. So, I am saying it may not be Link's problem!!
    05-17-15 09:16 PM
    Another suggestion

Since windows 7, most "unsigned" drivers have been blocked from installing by default.
    In Win7 it was easy to disable this feature by going into the Advanced Boot Screen.

The same can be done in Windows 8 &8.1 but it's a little harder to access the ABS.
    You can Google "how to...." and take it from there.
    05-17-15 10:17 PM
    Another thing that never seems to come up:
    Cleaning your device. Dust builds up in the ports and can cause a bad connection.
    I use condensed air to clean the ports and the buttons!

Give it a shot (no pun intended!)
    Thanks Lostboy5151, this may have been what fixed the issue. Tried a couple things members have said all at once (your post included) and the phone now works perfectly. I've edited my post to include a solution guide and you're getting a ton of credit.
    05-18-15 02:22 AM
    this might sound strange but are you using the usb cable that came with your BB or an aftermarket cable. It sometimes does make a difference.
    Not the cable that came with my phone but a brand new BB cable off amazon so as close as it gets I'd assume. Issue is now solved. Thanks for your input, I've referenced some of your posts in my main post.
    05-18-15 02:23 AM
    Two things :

1. Settings>Device connections>Allow connections. Toggle off, the on. Try again.

2. Wait 15 minutes. I know it sounds weird, but every time my connection fails, and I become distracted doing other things, I find the pop up screen asking for the device password on my PC screen.

Wish there was a 'reconnect' button on Link like the one on Blend.

Thanks for these ideas miched. My phone now works and your first suggestion may have very well been the solution. I've included your post in my main post for future reference.
    10_z_no gimmick likes this.
    05-18-15 02:26 AM
    Hi, pleased it worked for you. This was a suggestion made by another CB user in a different thread, so credit to him or her.

Another workaround (since the issue crops up from time to time) is to "map" your SD card and internal memory as drives on your PC, once it's successfully connected via Link. Strangely, even if the phone does not connect via link, it is then available through the 2 mapped drives.

I'd like to try the Windows fix mentioned above. Maybe it could help.

Glad you are sorted.

Mike.

P.S. Would it not be good to have a "reconnect device" in Link, instead of only a "reload device" option?

kurchak31 likes this.
    05-18-15 03:36 AM
27 12