There's more to smartphones then specs, and I'm happy buying the a10.

Why is it Apple, Microsoft, and to an extent Google(moto X/nexus) aren't in the spec war, but yet blackberry has to join it or there done? I don't get that logic, and as a business owner see that bb is taking an apple/Microsoft approach and not a android oem approach.
    I think the argument is that since BBRY is behind in the all-important third-party software race, then it should try to win over consumers in the specs race.

The argument has some merit, but I don't think I subscribe to it completely. I still think the ecosystem is what will be the biggest factor.
    07-15-13 06:36 PM
    Will you guys please get real... By the time someone comes out with the "best phone", then someone will have a "better phone" within no time. If you want the A10 to wait until it is the best phone, it will never get released.
    No it isn't realistic but OP is making a stand and after the way RIM been treating their long time customers I'm with him.
    07-15-13 06:43 PM
    I think the argument is that since BBRY is behind in the all-important third-party software race, then it should try to win over consumers in the specs race.

The argument has some merit, but I don't think I subscribe to it completely. I still think the ecosystem is what will be the biggest factor.
    I agree it has merit, but when bb doesn't have money to waste on unneeded hardware I find it pointless, that's money that can to toward apps, etc. Blackberry would be stupid to be the only os/hardware manufacturer to join the android oem spec race when that's a race you can't win. Samsung is a components manufacture 80% of the hardware they put in there phone is from them, and that spreads across android oems, that's a never ending race.
    07-15-13 06:45 PM
    There's more to smartphones then specs, and I'm happy buying the a10.

Why is it Apple, Microsoft, and to an extent Google(moto X/nexus) aren't in the spec war, but yet blackberry has to join it or there done? I don't get that logic, and as a business owner see that bb is taking an apple/Microsoft approach and not a android oem approach.
    I believe it's because of the market they're entering with the A10. It's the phablet market and so it needs to compete on that level. Thy should release a 4.5-4.7" device if they intend to have those specs. Then it's still smartphone territory (and even at that, phones that size pretty much all have quads)

Sent from CB forums app with... (you can't handle this, it's not a bb)
    07-15-13 07:26 PM
    I agree it has merit, but when bb doesn't have money to waste on unneeded hardware I find it pointless, that's money that can to toward apps, etc. Blackberry would be stupid to be the only os/hardware manufacturer to join the android oem spec race when that's a race you can't win. Samsung is a components manufacture 80% of the hardware they put in there phone is from them, and that spreads across android oems, that's a never ending race.
    Then they shouldn't make the A10, period. The whole point of the A10 is to have a huge phone so that they can compel that market to go with bb. They're trying to broaden their target audience aka market. That market does not go for sub par specs. The phablet market, that is.

07-15-13 07:28 PM
    Stupid thread. Please delete.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 07:30 PM
    I don't disagree with anything you are saying and the majority of people on here, but Apple is a brand that is not damaged. It sells itself. BlackBerry doesn't have that luxury right now.

Whether it is with specs, ecosystem, third party apps, etc. BlackBerry needs to create something that differentiate them from the rest and make people feel they need or want this product. Matching what Apple does won't work for them, they have to sell the masses on something else until the brand is repaired.

The reality is most sales people will say that for example this BlackBerry is only 720p, here are some 1080p high end phones. BB did their job and sold me on the Z10 and I like everyone else who has the phone have been pushing it because we like it, but if BB wants to stay in the hardware race, they need to connect with the masses. Not you or me or Crackberry people, everyone else.

I don't pretend to know coding and can appreciate the difficult task, but I truly want to passionately tell people the A10 is the best phone, not the best BB.

Posted via me on my Z10
    07-15-13 07:37 PM
    They are not capable in their current state of operation.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 07:47 PM
    Bring your "A" game!
    agp101 likes this.
    07-15-13 07:50 PM
    Read today's Talk Mobile discussion. It's directly related to this. But the rumored specs sound dang good. 4 core GPU, I'm pretty sure is up there.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-15-13 08:04 PM
    N4BB just wrote an article about exactly what we are debating. I am not the only one who shares these concerns.

BlackBerry A10 Specs Revealed, Leaves Us Wishing For More
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-a10-specs...eaves-wishing/

Posted via me on my Z10
    07-15-13 08:23 PM
    I believe it's because of the market they're entering with the A10. It's the phablet market and so it needs to compete on that level. Thy should release a 4.5-4.7" device if they intend to have those specs. Then it's still smartphone territory (and even at that, phones that size pretty much all have quads)

Then they shouldn't make the A10, period. The whole point of the A10 is to have a huge phone so that they can compel that market to go with bb. They're trying to broaden their target audience aka market. That market does not go for sub par specs. The phablet market, that is.*

Just because you don't get your way they shouldn't make the device? A little childish don't you think, as a shareholder I'd rather bb not go bankrupt trying to compete in a spec race there os doesnt need.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying and the majority of people on here, but Apple is a brand that is not damaged. It sells itself. BlackBerry doesn't have that luxury right now.

Whether it is with specs, ecosystem, third party apps, etc. BlackBerry needs to create something that differentiate them from the rest and make people feel they need or want this product. Matching what Apple does won't work for them, they have to sell the masses on something else until the brand is repaired.

The reality is most sales people will say that for example this BlackBerry is only 720p, here are some 1080p high end phones. BB did their job and sold me on the Z10 and I like everyone else who has the phone have been pushing it because we like it, but if BB wants to stay in the hardware race, they need to connect with the masses. Not you or me or Crackberry people, everyone else.

I don't pretend to know coding and can appreciate the difficult task, but I truly want to passionately tell people the A10 is the best phone, not the best BB.

Posted via me on my Z10
    I understand that but blackberry also doesn't have the luxury of wasting money they don't need to waste, why spend money to put specs in a phone when you can put more toward advertising. This is what apple does, and Microsoft.

Samsung and android oems are component manufactures, Samsung builds 80% of the parts for there phone, lg and others to an extent to.
    I understand everyone wants more specs, but in reality the average joe don't know the difference between CPU, GPU, ppi! Etc.

If apple can use its coding software to make its screens better without going 1080p I'm sure blackberry could and should get it done, specs aren't everything, look at the htc one, it has 6 mp camera but the software it uses gives high end photos.

As a business owner I feel it'd be stupid for bb to spend money where its not needed, especially when specs don't make a smartphone, its the os experience.

They do need something to say hey were different I agree. I also think being the only none-android device with 5" screen is a good start.
    Last edited by SDTRMG; 07-15-13 at 09:19 PM.
    taylorblackberry likes this.
    07-15-13 09:07 PM
    What you talking about?????????? People tend to forget blackberry aint alll that wealthy . They working along side their account , Unless you want to loan them fund i bet you will not regret you did
    07-15-13 09:11 PM
    N4BB just wrote an article about exactly what we are debating. I am not the only one who shares these concerns.

BlackBerry A10 Specs Revealed, Leaves Us Wishing For More
    BlackBerry A10 Specs Revealed, Leaves Us Wishing For More - N4BB

Posted via me on my Z10
    I'm not saying I don't want better specs I wish we had the best, but I'm saying when you look at all the factors it makes sense why they aren't using those specs.
    07-15-13 09:12 PM
    100% behind the OP regarding the A10.
    07-15-13 09:16 PM
    Just because you don't get your way they shouldn't make the device? A little childish don't you think, as a shareholder I'd rather bb not go bankrupt trying to compete in a spec race there os does need.

I understand that but blackberry also doesn't have the luxury of wasting money they don't need to waste, why spend money to put specs in a phone when you can put more toward advertising. This is what apple does, and Microsoft.

Samsung and android oems are component manufactures, Samsung builds 80% of the parts for there phone, lg and others to an extent to.
    I understand everyone wants more specs, but in reality the average joe don't know the difference between CPU, GPU, ppi! Etc.

If apple can use its coding software to make its screens better without going 1080p I'm sure blackberry could and should get it done, specs aren't everything, look at the htc one, it has 6 mp camera but the software it uses gives high end photos.

As a business owner I feel it'd be stupid for bb to spend money where its not needed, especially when specs don't make a smartphone, its the os experience.

They do need something to say hey were different I agree. I also think being the only none-android device with 5" screen is a good start.
    I agree with the last paragraph, but still I don't find it's enough just to be the first that's not an android. But my argument is that if bb can't "afford" to have killer specs in a market which requires them, then why are they making the A10? They are essentially still wasting money and resources are they not? Because let's face it, it won't sell well. Talk about a waste. They're trying to simplify things and release fewer products to strengthen their margins and portfolio of devices, but the device itself has to be competitive. The Z10 is competitive in its market, the Q10 as well. The A10 is not, and the Z and Q aren't even selling too well to begin with, and that's in a market they're are more or less competitive in hardware wise. Just the fact that these products have the word BlackBerry on then detracts their value and their demand. The A10, in the form being leaked right now, I just can't see any success with it.

07-15-13 09:17 PM
    ... As a business owner I feel it'd be stupid for bb to spend money where its not needed, especially when specs don't make a smartphone, its the os experience.

I also used to be a shareholder of BlackBerry, and if they can save money by using cheaper components then they should do that as much as possible. I know specs are not the be all to make a great experience, but the Z10 proved that it's differentiation isn't enough to the mass public. We are sold, but we are BB users, I am trying to do something to reach the other demographics. All I know is that they cannot afford to fail and that is why everyday people are finally making noise!

I hope they bring something different whether experience, ecosystem and / or specs.

Posted via me on my Z10
    07-15-13 09:27 PM
    Build it, they will come.
    07-15-13 09:31 PM
    Will you guys please get real... By the time someone comes out with the "best phone", then someone will have a "better phone" within no time. If you want the A10 to wait until it is the best phone, it will never get released.
    I agree with you fully, however, keep in mind the current sub par specs are over a year old, and people, especially consumers, look at specs. They need to blow everyone out the water sl they could succeed. This is their flagship device after all.
    07-15-13 09:40 PM
    I agree with the last paragraph, but still I don't find it's enough just to be the first that's not an android. But my argument is that if bb can't "afford" to have killer specs in a market which requires them, then why are they making the A10? They are essentially still wasting money and resources are they not? Because let's face it, it won't sell well. Talk about a waste. They're trying to simplify things and release fewer products to strengthen their margins and portfolio of devices, but the device itself has to be competitive. The Z10 is competitive in its market, the Q10 as well. The A10 is not, and the Z and Q aren't even selling too well to begin with, and that's in a market they're are more or less competitive in hardware wise. Just the fact that these products have the word BlackBerry on then detracts their value and their demand. The A10, in the form being leaked right now, I just can't see any success with it.

These phones have been planned since early 2012 late 2011 I'm sure, and I'm also the push back of the z10 release also has to do with the timing of this phones release and specs I'm sure, but they do need a a10 because being the only none android manufacturer is a good start to being different from apple, as well as having there keyboard phones.

Bb10, 10.2 and the hardware its optimized to run on will be what makes the a10, if it has that hardware but runs faster then the gs4, note 3, etc. then what? They could tweek the software/screen like apple so it looks better without being in a spec war, fix the camera software etc. there's more to smartphones then specs only, and blackberry doesn't have the luxury of wasting money, the a10 is an investment not a waste.

Android oems need to be compete in a spec war because they use the same os, and for Samsung, lg, Sony etc, basically own alot of the components blackberry has to buy.

You might not be happy or think its gonna sell but is strictly your opinion which your welcome to, but don't force that negative thought on me, I'm not small minded and am long BBRY, the a10 will be my next phone, I hope it has better specs, but ill be buying it either way.

When I dropped my ip5 It was because of the bb10 experience, not the hardware. I used a iPhone as my main phone for years before the z10, still use an iPad 4th gen, g nexus and my gf has a s4. Its about beating the experience of those devices, the a10 could run faster on the rumoured specs, the z10 runs faster then the s4 in my comparisons, smoother too.
    07-15-13 09:41 PM
    I also used to be a shareholder of BlackBerry, and if they can save money by using cheaper components then they should do that as much as possible. I know specs are not the be all to make a great experience, but the Z10 proved that it's differentiation isn't enough to the mass public. We are sold, but we are BB users, I am trying to do something to reach the other demographics. All I know is that they cannot afford to fail and that is why everyday people are finally making noise!

I hope they bring something different whether experience, ecosystem and / or specs.

Posted via me on my Z10
    To the average consumer, specs are key.
    07-15-13 09:41 PM

Posted via me on my Z10
    I agree, and marketing has a big thing to do with it, there marketing is garbage. Samsung, and Microsoft have seen and learnt from apples marketing. As someone said in another thread bb is a damaged brand and they need to change people's prospective on the brand. Wasting money on unneeded specs won't do that.

Promoting that bb does this better then the iPhone, or can do things the iPhone can't can help. I agree with what your saying.

To the average consumer, specs are key.
    The average consumer doesn't know the difference between CPU, gpu, ppi, quad core, etc? If that was the case apple wouldn't sell phones and neither would low spend android device be selling by the millions. Apple, Microsoft, Google and Blackberry know this which why they aren't in the spec race, there in the experience race.

I gotta say this is my last post though as I have to leave, but I've expressed my opinion on the matter as others have and I was glad to read others thoughts on the matter. Hope we all end up happy with the a10 In the end
    07-15-13 09:44 PM
    We know nothing than that the screen will be 720p. Something BlackBerry has told us since early 2012!

One of the main issues with BlackBerry Java OS was screen fragmentation. BlackBerry has been very clear: all devices will be 720x720 and 720p (except the Z10, which is slightly different).

For sure, screen technology is improving, but improving doesn't always mean more pixels. You are very welcome to be frustrated if the screen isn't good - but just be frustrated by being 720 and not 1080 - come on!

For sure, camera technology is improving. But even a 21 Megapixel camera doesn't make a smartphone a great camera phone. What counts are the quality of the pictures you take with the phone. Nothing else. Beeing 5,8,13 Megapixel doesn't count!

Same goes with CPU, GPU, RAM - the numbers give you nothing! A BlackBerry flagship device should run smooth with a great UI and UX.

What BlackBerry doesn't need is a fragmented ecosystem - where some Apps run great on the flagship devices - okay on some others and very laggy on others.

So technically all apps have to be built for the Q5. BlackBerry can't release Apps for A10 only! That wouldn't make any sense! They should NOT start again to have different app builts for different devices (we have all seen the problems in the past)

BlackBerry isn't in a situation where they can concentrate on some flagship devices! They have to keep their eyes on the whole BlackBerry 10 device family.

Of course technically BlackBerry could built a octocore 2.4 Ghz, 4GB Ram, mega GPU 1080p device.

But with this device there will be some great Apps that run on the A10, but would never get on the Z10 or make it to the Z10 but are laggy! 3.000.000 pissed early adopters! Great idea!

Posted via CB10
    not 3 million but less than 1.5 million Z10 early adaptors that WANT those apps and features and capabilities ... guaranteeing BlackBerry early hardware upgrade cycle of users ;D WIN WIN for everyone.

Perception ... think about!
    07-15-13 10:25 PM
    Rather than asking them to include OCTAcore CPU GPU 64GB RAM and 1080p screen, have them dedicate the resources to optimizing BlackBerry 10 so maybe we can see PlayBook finally getting the update they deserve.

Seriously, my Z10 flows just fine, pretty much 60 fps all the time. I'd rather have a flawless experience than a laggy experience, thanks

STL 100-1 10.1.0.273
    07-16-13 12:34 AM
    "Best phone" is in the eye of the beholder. Best phone for some would the phone with the most apps. At this point, I don't think the specs war would do much for BlackBerry. Optimize the OS first, get developers on board, gain consumer base, then dabble in the specs war. The z10 is a wonderful piece of machinery. Most folks don't know it.

Posted via that Z-thang
    07-16-13 12:41 AM
118 1234 ...