Is anyone else having the issue of the Opera Mini app crashing on the new updated OS, what did you do to solve cos #BlackBerryHelp says I should contact developer.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 11:35 AM
    Yep. Same here. Couldn't get it to stop crashing after the update either. Tbh I really didn't try very hard to fix it however. Delete and reinstall didn't help so I switched to Firefox instead since it runs great on 10.3.1.
    06-15-15 07:04 PM
    Hmm, Opera Mini which I had installed before the update still works for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 09:17 PM
    Yep. Same here. Couldn't get it to stop crashing after the update either. Tbh I really didn't try very hard to fix it however. Delete and reinstall didn't help so I switched to Firefox instead since it runs great on 10.3.1.
    OK does Firefox have the same data saving compression as Opera Mini, cos that is what I'm after.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 05:10 AM
    I tried downloading Opera Mini and it worked only once. All other attempts to launch the app afterwards resulted in the app closing.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 11:50 AM
    OK does Firefox have the same data saving compression as Opera Mini, cos that is what I'm after.

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately not.
    06-16-15 07:16 PM
    Sorted, had to for-go the latest version of Opera Mini and settle for the version b4 latest and got it as an APK

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 03:57 PM
    How is firefox compared to the stock browser for 10.3? Firefox is my fav web browser for pc but im not sure how it would handle on mobile and ive been to lazy to dl and try it out

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    06-17-15 11:10 PM
    I find Firefox rather sluggish. The stock browser is much faster in my experience.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 12:54 PM
    Agree, it's nice to have for compatibility but too slow to be your regular browser.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 07:15 PM
    How is firefox compared to the stock browser for 10.3? Firefox is my fav web browser for pc but im not sure how it would handle on mobile and ive been to lazy to dl and try it out

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    Firefox is a little slower than the native browser however not by much. Firefox offers more options, customization and a more user friendly ui (at least imo) than the native browser.

Tbh I still use the native browser primarily and Firefox only in specific scenarios however I wouldn't have any issues using it as my only browser either.

If bookmark sync, faster access to more search engines and the ability to quickly swipe through basic browser functions interest you it could certainly be worth checking out.
    Last edited by 03_CTD; 06-18-15 at 08:54 PM.
    06-18-15 08:07 PM
    Try CM browser. Works relatively well for me on the Z30, and has a night mode feature that's great.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 08:32 PM
    Am also noting this issue with Opera Mini -- opens fine the first time, then crashes with subsequent tries.

I'm also after data compression. Any suggestions for Android options that play well on 10.3.2? Or native options, even?
    06-30-15 09:34 AM
    FYI, found out after trial and error that Opera Mini v7.6.4 is the latest version which will run on BBOS 10.3.x. Anything newer such as v8.x or v9.x crashes on startup everytime after the browser got opened once before.

For those of you who still want to use the newer version, a somewhat inconvenient workaround is to clear the Opera Mini application data before starting the browser in Device monitor which makes it as if you just installed the app.

On a somewhat related issue, the latest versions of Chrome also suffers from the same issue with version 39 being the latest which still runs without crashing on BBOS 10.3.x
    FF22 likes this.
    07-05-15 12:38 PM
    My (employer-provided) Z10 was just forcefully updated to 10.3 by Verizon.
    I had been running Opera Mini 10 without problems until then.
    After the OS update I experience the same symptoms as described here.
    After uninstallnig I had a look through the file system using Ghost Commander. I found that in the Android folder, the data folder for Opera Mini (com.opera.android.native if I remember) had no file permissions set for the user. I was unable to view its contents or delete it (permission denied). It is time-stamped at exactly the moment when I tried to run it after the OS upgrade. Hmmm.

If I reinstall Opera, the Blackberry storage app sees Opera its data directory, and allows me to try to delete the associated files, but nothing happens. You can try to clear the files over and over, but the storage spaced used never changes.

In the Opera Mini forums on their own website, there are also complaints about people not being able to save settings on Android devices. Hmm.

Questions: is the inaccessible data folder the cause, or the symptom?

I'd like to delete this folder, and am sorta half hoping that the eventual fix from Opera, if it's coming, will take care of that ... but there is a limit to what i will do when experimenting with the personal workspace on a company phone.
    07-15-15 06:43 PM
    My (employer-provided) Z10 was just forcefully updated to 10.3 by Verizon.
    I had been running Opera Mini 10 without problems until then.
    After the OS update I experience the same symptoms as described here.
    After uninstallnig I had a look through the file system using Ghost Commander. I found that in the Android folder, the data folder for Opera Mini (com.opera.android.native if I remember) had no file permissions set for the user. I was unable to view its contents or delete it (permission denied). It is time-stamped at exactly the moment when I tried to run it after the OS upgrade. Hmmm.

If I reinstall Opera, the Blackberry storage app sees Opera its data directory, and allows me to try to delete the associated files, but nothing happens. You can try to clear the files over and over, but the storage spaced used never changes.

In the Opera Mini forums on their own website, there are also complaints about people not being able to save settings on Android devices. Hmm.

Questions: is the inaccessible data folder the cause, or the symptom?

I'd like to delete this folder, and am sorta half hoping that the eventual fix from Opera, if it's coming, will take care of that ... but there is a limit to what i will do when experimenting with the personal workspace on a company phone.
    I wonder if you can get to it using a usb connection and going into that folder from a pc (or mac)?

You can also try DELETING it again using Device Monitor which can sometimes do a more complete cleanup. In Device Monitor, tap the Storage tab at the bottom then the Right Menu. Search for Opera and tap it and chose Delete. If not found, you could try reinstalling then trying this method.
    07-15-15 10:34 PM
    Sorry for my poor explanation. I didn't have the phone with me when I posted last night, and being an Android person first and BlackBerry second ...

The maneuvers with Device Monitor are exactly what I tried and described in my original post. Device Monitor sees the installation and associated files, and allows you to try to delete them (again and again) but never actually succeeds.

I also tried a USB cable but, in Mass Storage mode, the PC is only allowed to "see" the contents of an external SD card; not system memory. Perhaps proper drivers and BB Link would do better, but somehow I don't think that anything running thru BB consumer software will allow you to touch a folder having no user permissions set.

Just for fun I tried ES File Explorer, which is probably the best file manager for Android. Unfortunately it had no more luck than BB Ghost Commander; also with an unrooted phone the "Root Explorer" function is disabled (I tried).

There are a lot of posts about this on Opera's on support forums but the prospect of getting and maintaining the attention of a developer there are small to nil. The latest post from an actual Opera employee on this goes back to May in which they asked the user to start up Opera Mini after a fresh install and post the debug output. That was done, and has been sitting there unanswered for 2 months.

For me right now, Opera Mini V7 and UC Mini will have to do.
    07-16-15 06:30 AM
    Android based browsers are hopelessly slow on BlackBerry. I would just keep using blackberry browser.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 06:55 AM
    The best browser that I've used on 10.3.2.xxx is Zeus. No crashes& everything runs perfectly!
    07-16-15 04:03 PM
    Android based browsers are hopelessly slow on BlackBerry. I would just keep using blackberry browser.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, but Opera Mini has good data compression.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 06:26 PM
    Latest version of opera mini in the playstore works fine (version 14.0.2065.100298)
    02-12-16 04:36 AM
    Wow! Finally it works! Thanks for posting!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-16 10:55 AM