Being an avid linux fan since the mid 90s, I have become accustomed to being the unsupported, even shunned at times operating system user. Now I have purchased a Verizon z30 and find myself using the "linux" of smartphones. Neither Apple nor pure Android, the BBos seems to be taking the backseat at my service provider. I was steered away from the blackberry when I went to the Verizon store, as if the phone was merely in the store to make the iphone and Droids look bettter.
    When I recieved the phone from Verizon I was greatly disappointed that the OS was deprecated to a degree of limiting the device's true potential to "outshine" the Samsungs, Motorolas, and Iphones. So in my opinon Blackberry is getting "linuxed" by Verizon.
    The Irony is that Blackberry has no linux support, officially. Yet the phone seems to be running a linux "android" system mounted on top of a linux BBos system.
    I'm anxious for the update, that Im sure will be pushed out by Verizon, just after Blackberry abandons the market.
    02-27-14 06:27 PM
    Being an avid linux fan since the mid 90s, I have become accustomed to being the unsupported, even shunned at times operating system user. Now I have purchased a Verizon z30 and find myself using the "linux" of smartphones. Neither Apple nor pure Android, the BBos seems to be taking the backseat at my service provider. I was steered away from the blackberry when I went to the Verizon store, as if the phone was merely in the store to make the iphone and Droids look bettter.
    When I recieved the phone from Verizon I was greatly disappointed that the OS was deprecated to a degree of limiting the device's true potential to "outshine" the Samsungs, Motorolas, and Iphones. So in my opinon Blackberry is getting "linuxed" by Verizon.
    The Irony is that Blackberry has no linux support, officially. Yet the phone seems to be running a linux "android" system mounted on top of a linux BBos system.
    I'm anxious for the update, that Im sure will be pushed out by Verizon, just after Blackberry abandons the market.

Welcome to Crackberry forums, I see this is your first post.

These issues have been debated and discussed here many, many, many times.

In short: Blackberry has a very small marketshare in the USA these days, this is no secret. Read any news articles about the industry and this is obvious.

So if what you are looking for is the most popular vendor, you've picked the wrong one.

Many of us love our BlackBerries for various reasons that have nothing to do with popularity. But I can't figure out from your post what motivated you to buy the Z30, and then come here to complain that it isn't popular?

The OS is not Linux, BTW - it is based on QNX, which is a realtime microkernel-based OS that only has passing similiarity to Linux or other "unix-like" OS's. (Basically it is POSIX compliant)

It also has an Android runtime that does indeed run a specially customized version of Android without the Linux kernel parts.

Look around here for a few minutes and you will see lots of discussions about these things.
    02-27-14 09:08 PM