Hi

I own a Z30 & Z10, the problem started on my main phone, the Z30, Google maps just stop working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. BB10 maps has the same issue. Finally, I wiped the phone and tired again with bb10 maps, google and waze, all three can not detect a gps signal.

I used my Z10 as test in comparsion to my Z30, bb10 maps seems to work, but waze and google can not find signal.

Any Idea what the issue may be?
    01-29-17 05:09 PM
    First be sure Location Services is turned on.

Second, BlackBerry Maps, G Maps, and Waze all require a network connection to function. This is how you are feed the map tiles. If you are not receiving mobile or wifi, you won't see the map.

Only map apps that use GPS standalone (offline) require you to have map files downloaded or use a caching method. Either way maps are accessed from your device. The offline map app I use has 3gb of files on my SD card.
    01-30-17 01:27 AM
    Hi @Tim-ANC, thanks for the reply,

Yes, both location service and data/wifi are on.

I have tested my GPS signal with bbve and it's able to pick up a signal. But the apps are not.

On my Z10 I use camSam for traffic cams and it is always able to find a GPS signal

One other note, when I put the apps on, they are always able to find my location, find my location I need directions for and to pull up the map to start navigation, however, when it comes time to start giving directions the arrow and map freezes, there isn't even voice direction. Then the message pops up:

"Unable to find gps signal"

I close app, reopen, reinput and all of the above repeats..

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 04:48 AM
    Interesting. If they can find your location initially, then it means the apps are allowed to use your location. These apps also use network assist to augment the GPS signals.

Are the Z10 and Z30 on the same OS?

Do the BBVE GPS test on both. Do they receive the same number of satellite signals and strength? You need at least 4 satellites to get a good fix.

What area are you trying to navigate in? High city buildings and canyons, will effect the signal.

I have a simple app called GPS Display. It just shows coordinates, altitude, bearing and speed. It is useful for checking the function of your GPS. If you get it, put it on the Z30. It is a paid app. There are free apps like Simple GPS that do this too
    01-30-17 06:48 AM
    How about the location permission settings?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 08:14 AM
    For both phones BBVE show 4 plush strong sat. signals. I live in Malta and upto a couple of weeks ago, with no setting changes Google maps was working fine, bb10 maps I don't use, it shows my area but not as well as google, waze seems to be good as google maps, but I only installed to test and try to figure out if Goolge was the problem or my phone.

Location permission is on and I downloaded HelloGps, which I thinks does the samething as the app you suggested. From what I can tell and understand it shows my gps working fine.
    01-30-17 05:11 PM
    Sounds like GPS functionality is good.

Are both phones on the same operating system?
    01-30-17 11:09 PM
    My Z10 is running 10.3.2.474 and my Z30 is suposse to be running 10.3.3.1463. I should point out that I was running 10.3.2 on my z30 and I upgraded to 10.3.3 in the hopes that it would fix the problem.
    01-31-17 07:49 AM
    Ok, so it started on Z30 with 10.3.2.

Reading your other posts:

Z10 BB Maps works. Gmaps and waze don't work.
    Z30 Gmaps, waze BBmaps accquire position then lose lock.

Might be something to do with how your Z30 handles google apps. Try Genius maps from Mireo in BB World to test your Z30's nav functionality on an app rated for BB10. They have a one free week trial. It is an offline map so be sure to have enough space to download the Europe map. I have their older app and it has Malta. Might just have a Malta map only too.
    01-31-17 09:06 AM
    Hi @Tikm-ANC,

Thanks for the help, I downloaded genius onto my Z30and tested it out yesterday and so far it has worked with out any issues.

I later tried again with waze for my return trip and surprisingly it worked. I am still testing things out and will see how they go.

But it's weird on why there has been an issue when the GPS is working.

Well keep you posted and again thanks for the assists.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-02-17 01:51 AM
    Hi @Tikm-ANC,

Thanks for the help, I downloaded genius onto my Z30and tested it out yesterday and so far it has worked with out any issues.

I later tried again with waze for my return trip and surprisingly it worked. I am still testing things out and will see how they go.

But it's weird on why there has been an issue when the GPS is working.

Well keep you posted and again thanks for the assists.

Posted via CB10
    Good to hear. Since Genius works, I suspect the android apps Waze and Gmaps are not interfacing well with the Z30. How did you install them?
    02-02-17 04:35 AM
    I install them both through colbalt's google play and i have allow apps from other sources is turned on. Like I mentioned before, google maps was working perfectly a few weeks ago and then just stopped. I wonder if bb maps not being used or updated may have caused an error and now that I have a native app it has rest everything...I am just grasping at straws, I just can't figure it our. While we see what happens once my trail expires if Waze stops working.
    02-02-17 12:08 PM
    Did you update Waze or Gmaps recently? I know google owns Waze, not sure, but might use the same map applications.
    02-02-17 12:45 PM
    No I didn't

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 01:16 PM