Trying to convince wife to switch providers. We have been with Sprint for nearly 15 years. We are wanting to move back to or dependable BlackBerrys. Which is what we both always had up until last contract. She hac a HTC/Android, Hates it. I have an Samsung ATIV NEO/Windows 8, Its so,so at least its not an Andriod. Sprints crap network will only support the Q10. Which is the better network for getting service and a Z30 from ? We use very little Data time(mostly WiFi {its free that way}.
    05-12-14 09:53 AM
    att doesnt have the z30 so you would have to buy third party from BB site, amazon etc. Verizon carriers the z30 but you will have to order online i think as not many stores carry it in store
    05-12-14 09:56 AM
    I've got nothing bad to say about Verizon coverage and reliability wise.
    05-12-14 10:04 AM
    I like Verizon here, they are a little pricey but there are ways to interact with retention that can get you a discount to keep you from canceling.

Service wise, they're pretty good where I live but in Seattle they were garbage.

Their Z30 has wireless charging. Other models do not. The Verizon Z30 will not fit in some cases because of this.

They are running a promo right now where it's $99 with a new contract but they seem to have temporarily sold out.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 10:27 AM
    I just switched to vzw also. No complaints yet.
    05-12-14 10:45 AM
    Seems like you have no issues going with a CDMA carrier, and since vz has the phone you want... why not?
    05-12-14 10:51 AM
    I'm on att. I will never go back to a cdma company... ever. When you are into buying unlocked phones you want to be an a gsm carrier like att or t-mobile. And yes before anyone says it I know Verizon sells their phones unlocked but not all of them and not all are able to be used in other carriers here. Buy your phones directly from BlackBerry and skip the middleman.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:12 PM
    Go with verizon. You get wireless charging and those sweet aws speeds!

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:15 PM
    I'm on att. I will never go back to a cdma company... ever. When you are into buying unlocked phones you want to be an a gsm carrier like att or t-mobile. And yes before anyone says it I know Verizon sells their phones unlocked but not all of them and not all are able to be used in other carriers here. Buy your phones directly from BlackBerry and skip the middleman.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry. I have to go for coverage or else I would probably be with tmo but they and ATT are bricks when I go back home and on most of the drive.
    05-12-14 05:15 PM
    Left ATT for VZW in NY/NJ/CT. Much better service (no dead spot in Central Park and no dropped calls at the Henry Hudson Bridge like ATT) but best of all is the Z30. Wireless charging and best antenna. Total increase per month is $10. Worth it to me. Phone was $99 on contract.
    05-12-14 05:40 PM
    Att don't have them either ur gonna have to go with V

Posted via cb10 Www.youtube.com/spookyentertainment
    05-12-14 05:48 PM
    Trying to convince wife to switch providers. We have been with Sprint for nearly 15 years. We are wanting to move back to or dependable BlackBerrys. Which is what we both always had up until last contract. She hac a HTC/Android, Hates it. I have an Samsung ATIV NEO/Windows 8, Its so,so at least its not an Andriod. Sprints crap network will only support the Q10. Which is the better network for getting service and a Z30 from ? We use very little Data time(mostly WiFi {its free that way}.
    Verizon is the only one that offers the Z30. You can buy an unlocked one and use it on AT&T or T-Mobile. Depending on your are, one company may offer better coverage over the others. For instance, here in San Diego you have a 50/50 chance of being able to use a Sprint phone due to poor or no signal. T-Mobile Is OK and gets the job done, but AT&T has better coverage. There is not much difference between Verizon and AT&T. I chose AT&T because it is less expensive and has a Mexico Plan where I can use my bucket of minutes while in Mexico without incurring roaming fees or paying extra for the service. Do some footwork before choosing where to go.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 05:55 PM
    Only Verizon sells the Z30 in the US.

If you want it with AT&T, just buy the unlocked version on Shop BlackBerry. It's only 500 bucks and you'll get a discount on your plan for not having a contract, although you'll have to take your chances with the LTE bands. Only one of the STA100-5's supported LTE bands (4) is supported by AT&T. AT&T works with LTE bands 2, 4, 12 (soon), and 17. Regardless, AT&T's "4G HSPA+" is fast enough for most applications in my experience, and will work with the STA100-5. Actually I even manually switched my Q10 to EDGE last weekend (Dodgers stadium traffic on our drive out meant LTE and "4G" were congested too haha) and it was respectably fast enough for Waze text-to-speech GPS navigation and BlackBerry maps to get us the hell out of there. Haha

Or you can go with the incredibly ugly branding on the Verizon version. It's unlocked (by law) too so you can walk off to another network if you would like. Haha

Anyway, good luck on your decision. If you do go the Shop BlackBerry/AT&T route, please let us know about your experience. I kind of want one and am curious about how AT&T's LTE plays with the STA100-5. Haha

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    anon(1035135) likes this.
    05-12-14 06:25 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies, Looks like I can go with AT+T if I buy an unlocked phone from BlackBerry or Verizon I can get a Z30 from them. They do have a great deal on the Z30 (at least this month). Can some explain what the advantages are or are not with a CDMA carrier ?? We do travel internationally and it sounds like we need to stick with a GSM/AT+T type setup.
    05-14-14 12:01 PM
    Sorry. I have to go for coverage or else I would probably be with tmo but they and ATT are bricks when I go back home and on most of the drive.
    Well that's completely understandable if you are bound by coverage issues.if all coverage were equal I'd choose att over verizon.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-14-14 12:13 PM
    I have been on ATT and my family members still are for the past 10 years. For work I have switched to VZW. I travel in Europe. VZW works perfectly in Europe roaming on Vodaphone mostly. Good signal. But in the US the VZW CDMA network is much better than the ATT network. In my house I have better reception than my ATT kids. I also have no dead spots in NYC where I am everyday whereas I used to drop calls crossing from the Eastside to the Westside of Manhattan at 79th Street and then would drop at the Henry Hudson Bridge. I would have spotty service up into CT with ATT. VZW is rock solid on every road from NY to Boston and Nashua and down to DC. But the biggest difference for me is the wireless charging on the VZW. It is the best. Reminds me of why I loved my PalmPre's. Also by the way VZW has been LTE solid in all the above. I have only seen 3G once and that is underground in my garage at the Metropolitan Museum in NYC. ATT had no coverage at all there. Just my experience.
    05-14-14 12:23 PM
    Every carrier has their dead zones. It's just a matter of if you run through those spots on a regular basis enough to justify complaining about it.

My z30 and z10 on att have a waaaaaay stronger signal than my note 3 everywhere. So besides carrier you have to take into consideration which phone and its individual radio strength works best. I'll take a strong full hspa + signal any day over a weak lte signal. I'm in nyc a lot, Westchester and dutchess county and the only place I have dead spots is in dutchess county but I had them with verizon and att as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 12:32 PM
    Switch from AT&T to Verizon for a Z30....no problems at all. Vzw plan is actually cheaper than AT&T too.
    05-15-14 09:22 AM
    But in the US the VZW CDMA network is much better than the ATT network.
    Kind of a broad statement to make about the whole US. I live in the US, Verizon sucks here, so I guess Verizon's cdma network is poor in the US, and AT&T is amazing in the US

Carrier coverage is regional by nature. Where I live, the whole region, I am rarely seeing less than 5 bars on AT&T, and Verizon is riddled with coverage issues, and Sprint / T-Mobile coverage is awful if you're not in the right parts of town.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 11:23 AM
    Kind of a broad statement to make about the whole US. I live in the US, Verizon sucks here, so I guess Verizon's cdma network is poor in the US, and AT&T is amazing in the US

Carrier coverage is regional by nature. Where I live, the whole region, I am rarely seeing less than 5 bars on AT&T, and Verizon is riddled with coverage issues, and Sprint / T-Mobile coverage is awful if you're not in the right parts of town.

Actually, my "broad" statement is based on fact. See link:

Verizon vs. AT&T: coverage map shows Verizon has best quality | BGR

In addition, please note that I did say, just my experience which is mostly Europe and East Coast based. Having said that I am not the only one who thinks VZW has the broadest US coverage. I would not consider a Z30 on ATT over a VZW switch for the wireless charging and the better coverage of VZW.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 11:33 AM
    If you travel internationally, you should consider TMO. Unlimited free roaming in many countries. No cost for incoming calls, $0.20 per minute for outgoing.

The bands on the version BlackBerry sells matches the bands on TMo.

On a recent trip to the EU, I had no problem in Germany, Italy and Turkey.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:00 PM
    Thanks everyone for the replies, Looks like I can go with AT+T if I buy an unlocked phone from BlackBerry or Verizon I can get a Z30 from them. They do have a great deal on the Z30 (at least this month). Can some explain what the advantages are or are not with a CDMA carrier ?? We do travel internationally and it sounds like we need to stick with a GSM/AT+T type setup.
    Some things to think about: the most noted difference between CDMA and GSM will not affect you: the ability to travel internationally with your phone. Because the Z30 is an international phone, the technology built into the Verizon model is both CDMA/LTE for when in the USA and GSM / HSPA for when you are elsewhere in the world.

Also, spend some time looking at coverage maps for where you tend to be. If AT&T has better coverage in places you most frequently spend time, go with them. If Verizon is better, go with them. Maybe talk to friends and family who are on either carrier to get a feel for what coverage is like.

Lastly, do spend a few moments to see what costs are like. Compare between buying outright and buying on term. If costs per month are more important than what you pay from the beginning, get it outright. If you find that there is little to no price difference for buying outright, buy it on term so you aren't forking out $400+ more than you need to.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    Last edited by jonno_atamaniuk; 05-15-14 at 09:04 PM.
    05-15-14 06:21 PM
    Switch from AT&T to Verizon for a Z30....no problems at all. Vzw plan is actually cheaper than AT&T too.
    I've never seen a verizon plan cheaper than an att plan...ever...

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 06:53 PM