Just updated to 10.3 today, before the update i did a full backup.
    After the update majority of my contact had 4-5 duplicate for some reason.
    So i deleted all of them and tried to restore the backup i did before the update.

However i only got 6 contacts after the restore was complete..... wth is going on!!
    About to loose my mind now

Any help's appreciated
    02-27-15 12:55 PM
    Gee this is why I advocate so strongly that people move their contacts to cloud based sync services...

Deleting them was not the best move... deleting something from a BlackBerry is never getting it back. Can you try restoring again? Maybe the restore failed at some point and a second go could get the rest of them back.

Best of luck!
    02-27-15 01:31 PM
    I always "migrate contacts" to sd card, and remove the card before doing anything "intrusive" to my device, plus the standard back up of stuff (docs/vids/music/etc.)...
    02-27-15 01:38 PM
    I always "migrate contacts" to sd card, and remove the card before doing anything "intrusive" to my device, plus the standard back up of stuff (docs/vids/music/etc.)...
    How. Give the idea AND the means.
    Carl Estes and Techno-Emigre like this.
    02-27-15 01:50 PM
    yeah i should've done that, using my texts as base right now to salvage as much contacts as i can.

how do you sync with cloud based/sd card?

probably gonna throw this z30 down the office building after i'm done salvaging. 5 years of important contacts.............. my god
    02-27-15 02:00 PM
    How. Give the idea AND the means.
    It was when I went from my Torch 9850 to my Z30, I migrated them to my sd card, and then stuck that into my Z30, and imported them into the Z30.

I just looked at it and it's called Backup Plus Contacts, And I now see that it looks like a piece of VZW "app pkg"?
    And it is.

I had in my head it was a "std.? app.......I've used it twice on my Z30, initial purchase, and for the small update that was tossed to me a loong to ago.

My apologies for starting a "false hope" , it's a VZW app. But I see ATT has one also......

Don't think it would take too much to implement natively?????
    Going to Sim fine, but also SD card for safe keeping replacement if device is lost/stolen/damaged beyond recovery.
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 02-27-15 at 02:26 PM.
    02-27-15 02:10 PM
    I underwent through the same problem after 10.3.1 update too as 100+ contacts were missing, luckily I had intouchapp for contacts backup from which I restored my contacts. For now onwards, I'm using 'ultimate backup pro' to make a complete backup of everything in my phone, uploaded contacts specially to cloud services along with saving to external storages.

Posted via 'The Mighty  BlackBerry Z10/STL100-2'
    Carl Estes and relyc like this.
    02-27-15 02:12 PM
    I underwent through the same problem after 10.3.1 update too as 100+ contacts were missing, luckily I had intouchapp for contacts backup from which I restored my contacts. For now onwards, I'm using 'ultimate backup pro' to make a complete backup of everything in my phone, uploaded contacts specially to cloud services along with saving to external storages.

Posted via 'The Mighty  BlackBerry Z10/STL100-2'
    "Cloud" based services really bother me, my "stuff" (contacts/other data) would be in someone else's "possession"........
    02-27-15 02:25 PM
    I don't like my contact list in the "Cloud", I like all my data saved locally. What I do is I sync my contact with Outlook on my PC, BB link has this option also and then you can re-sync at a later time after an update with all contact data intact
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-27-15 02:31 PM
    C'est pas bon!

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-27-15 02:32 PM
    I don't like my contact list in the "Cloud", I like all my data saved locally. What I do is I sync my contact with Outlook on my PC, BB link has this option also and then you can re-sync at a later time after an update with all contact data intact
    That helps all others who(m) are not on VZW or ATT, or elsewhere in the world.
    02-27-15 02:39 PM
    You can always encrypt data in Cloud if you don't like your things being in somebody else's possession even if nowadays privacy is just a delusion, your computer has already been indexed if you use the Internet )
    Cloud based services are very reliable and backup pro app never failed me, I regularly back up all my important data to 2 Clouds. I don't rely on laptops, hard drives, SD/USB drives...they can break, get lost or even stolen. I don't figure how your backup got corrupt or overwritten, I would reinstall OS by using an autoloader and retry a selective restore, not a full one.

Posted via CB10
    FireChestApps likes this.
    02-27-15 02:44 PM
    I had the same issue, I had my contacts synced on "intouch app contacts" for some reason they wouldn't restore.. so I tried to login to Google to load the contacts that are saved there.

But the phone deleted the names of the contacts.. and changed the names to the numbers so I had a list of numbers with no names

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:48 PM
    Get a cheap payed app that stores contacts to a location you choose in a format that you can open using any other program and not to their server based on a forgettable user account!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:55 PM
    I found I had multiples after I did the update too. It wasn't that the update created duplicates, but rather it unlinked contacts that had been linked from several accounts.

So, if I deleted 3 duplicates, I may have deleted one contact's local contact, their twitter, and their Facebook.

The best way to handle duplicates is to link them or you may lose data.

As was already suggested, never store contacts locally on the device. Store them in the cloud. Either on your internet email provider or Gmail or wherever.

Once you get everything on the cloud it is much harder to lose the info.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    02-27-15 03:02 PM
    I gave up on this years ago when BB10 was first making such a mess of everything. It was really expensive and painful at the time, and I never dared try again. You are not talking about Outlook.com (cloud) are you? Do we have a way to actually sync with Outlook again like we did on BB7? How did I miss this? I would love it if it is true!
    02-27-15 03:25 PM
    This is a really long shot, OP, but maybe there is a chance. On my device open CONTACTS. In the lower left corner, hit the icon with 3 dots to open menu. Make sure ALL is highlighted. There is a slim chance it is highlighting another one that only shows a few and your contacts really are there. This would be the easy answer. We sure all feel your pain on this ... man it sure stinks to have this happen! Good luck, and let us know how things turn out. As warned, be super careful about deleting any duplicates.
    02-27-15 03:35 PM
    Had the same pro let once. But I had synced with outlook previously albeit occasionally. Between the data that was on the SD card and the contacts in outlook, I lost only a few contacts that I had added within the week. It's always worth having contacts located somewhere else in addition to your phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 03:40 PM
    I've been meaning to ask but have not.....

I just got a new computer with Office 2013 and it contains Outlook. When I've attempted to sync with Outlook, well, the Calendar won't even allow me to select it and I've now tried three times to sync Contacts and while the process supposedly runs, NOTHING occurs. Outlook is still empty!!!
    02-27-15 03:43 PM
    As for the original question - Barn door but I use Backup Pro to backup and restore such data and you can backup to a cloud account or to sd card.
    You can also encrypt the data.
    Carl Estes and FireChestApps like this.
    02-27-15 03:44 PM
    This is how I sync my contacts to Outlook on my PC (outlook must be open)

Need some help, just lost 100+ contacts-link1.jpgNeed some help, just lost 100+ contacts-link2.jpgNeed some help, just lost 100+ contacts-link3.jpg
    FF22 and Techno-Emigre like this.
    02-27-15 03:56 PM
    Wow I feel your pain, since I lost mine a few years ago I started a Gmail account and keep all my contacts on it now and every new device they are all added back once I add that account to my phone. I don't use that account for anything really besides just keeping my contacts in one area.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 04:22 PM
    Local syncing is the start of duplicate contact nightmare for BlackBerry 10. I use the cloud nowadays, the pain local syncing was unbearable.
    LuvULongTime and FF22 like this.
    02-27-15 04:24 PM
    Hey thanks, forgot it has been so long. And it works fine? I almost tremble when I think of doing a 2-way sync, tho. It was such a mess before, I lost work time plus ended up with unprofessional looking scheduling conflicts because of it. Maybe I will try a one-way sync to protect myself and see how it goes.
    02-27-15 04:27 PM
    contacts' gone, the horror of it.

looking through some of the post above, there's a way to sync them via gmail/google? even on blackberry?
    anyone mind letting me know how to do that?
    02-27-15 04:37 PM
39 12