Like the title states.

Was trying to attach a picture to a email but the picture wouldn't actually select and attach to the email.

So I tried to reboot the phone. Then my whole picture gallery was empty.

Everything gone. All pictures and videos and documents I had saved.

When I checked the properties of the media card it showed 6gb+ of used space but every directory was empty.

Adata class 10 microsd card about a year old. Never gave me any problems and still appears to be working.

Not sure if it's a problem with the card or a random freak accident of the phone/OS.

Oh well....sucks to loose that much stuff without backing it up.....

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 06:02 PM
    Have you checked the drive on a PC to see if files are still there?
    01-03-16 06:04 PM
    More than likely it's your card? What brand is it? I would put it in a regular SD card and run it on a computer /laptop and double check

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 06:14 PM
    Ya tried putting on the pc. Same thing. Shows 6gb of used space but no files in it.

I guess time to replace the card with a new one.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 06:18 PM
    Ya tried putting on the pc. Same thing. Shows 6gb of used space but no files in it.

I guess time to replace the card with a new one.

Posted via CB10
    You could try a file recovery program such as: Photo Recovery Software to Recover deleted formatted Photos from memory card, computer hard drive - Asoftech or there are many other alternative recovery programs if you do a search. Just a thought. If you do, make sure that you do NOT write anything onto the card (guess that goes without saying!) . Hope you get those photos back.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-03-16 06:25 PM
    The best recovery proram I've used is called "Recuva" that you can download to your PC from recuva.com.

�σя gσ∂ ѕσ ℓσνє∂ тнє ωσяℓ∂, тнαт нє gανє нιѕ σηℓу вєgσттєη ѕση, тнαт ωнσѕσєνєя вєℓιєνєтн ιη нιм ѕнσυℓ∂ ησт ρєяιѕн, вυт нανє єνєяℓαѕтιηg ℓι�є. נσнη 3:16
    FF22 and diesel0110 like this.
    01-03-16 07:15 PM
    The best recovery proram I've used is called "Recuva" that you can download to your PC from recuva.com.

�σя gσ∂ ѕσ ℓσνє∂ тнє ωσяℓ∂, тнαт нє gανє нιѕ σηℓу вєgσттєη ѕση, тнαт ωнσѕσєνєя вєℓιєνєтн ιη нιм ѕнσυℓ∂ ησт ρєяιѕн, вυт нανє єνєяℓαѕтιηg ℓι�є. נσнη 3:16
    +1
    And your SD card need replacing, it happened to my wife Moto G2 with SanDisk. At the end we got everything back but can�t trust SanDisk again.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-16 07:24 PM
    +1
    And your SD card need replacing, it happened to my wife Moto G2 with SanDisk. At the end we got everything back but can�t trust SanDisk again.

Posted via CB10
    I steer well clear of SanDisk, never did trust them. Always use Kingston.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    01-04-16 09:14 AM
    Like the title states.

Was trying to attach a picture to a email but the picture wouldn't actually select and attach to the email.

So I tried to reboot the phone. Then my whole picture gallery was empty.

Everything gone. All pictures and videos and documents I had saved.

When I checked the properties of the media card it showed 6gb+ of used space but every directory was empty.

Adata class 10 microsd card about a year old. Never gave me any problems and still appears to be working.

Not sure if it's a problem with the card or a random freak accident of the phone/OS.

Oh well....sucks to loose that much stuff without backing it up.....

Posted via CB10

It could be the media cache is corrupt.
    If what is cached in the system does not equal what is actually on the SD card, then apps won't be able to see some or all of the contents.
    So, try triggering a Media re-scan of the SD card.

If the Media card is NOT encrypted via Settings/Security and Privacy/Encryption/Media Card Encryption, then:
    1. Remove the rear cover.
    2. Remove the SD card, no need to power off the Z30 as the SIM and SD cards are "hot swappable".
    3. If available, use a USB card reader on a computer to check to see if the SD card has data/files/folders or if it is truly messed up.
    4. If OK per above or no available USB reader, then reboot the Z30 using hold Power button until count down starts, release button, and tap Restart.
    5. Once the Z30 has powered back up, wait five minutes, and open the Pictures app. It should only show images on the device memory or if none show a "No Pictures" message screen.
    6. While that app is open, reinsert the SD card and wait.
    A few seconds after inserting the SD card a popup should appear saying "Media Card detected".
    Within a minute after that popup, the top edge of the Pictures app should slightly expand and a notice saying "scanning in progress" with a blue line slowly filling across the top of the screen.
    After sometime, the media on the SD card will be re-cached and you should see all your photos appear on the screen.

If above does not fix the issue OR if the Media card IS encrypted, redo the above procedure, except instead of removing the SD card and rebooting the Z30, preform a Soft Reset.
    When you get to the step of rebooting the Z30, do a Soft Reset instead by:
    1. Press and hold the Volume Up and Down buttons at the same time. You will know if you pressed them correctly as you will see a screen shot notice popup.
    2. Continue to hold the buttons.
    3. The screen shot pop up will appear, the screen will turn off, the word BlackBerry will appear on the screen, and the device loading animation will begin.
    4. Now release the buttons and the device will boot up.
    What this does is performs a Soft Reset, the same as a Hard Reset aka Battery Pull on removable battery type BlackBerry devices.
    It deletes all caches, turns off running memory, shuts down all apps and services, and powers off/on the device. It does not delete any files, apps, contacts , or messages.
    This generally fixes any issues with corrupted caches or apps.
    NOTE: It is normal for the device to be sluggish and glitchy for up to five minutes after a reset, due to it rebuilding all caches and restarting background apps and services. So it is best to just let it sit for five minutes before continuing to trouble shoot.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 01-04-16 at 09:42 AM.
    Rustybronco and Boight like this.
    01-04-16 09:15 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. But I ended up formatting the card again.....most/all the pictures on the card are of my kids.

And while I am us at loosing those pictures I have a bunch more that my wife takes and thousands more stored away on a portable hard drive.

Anyway the card is a adata premiere 32gb class 10 card. I will probably toss it and get something better.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 11:51 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. But I ended up formatting the card again.....most/all the pictures on the card are of my kids.

And while I am us at loosing those pictures I have a bunch more that my wife takes and thousands more stored away on a portable hard drive.

Anyway the card is a adata premiere 32gb class 10 card. I will probably toss it and get something better.

Posted via CB10
    If the card is still not being used after you formatted, Recuva most likely will be able to recover the files using the deep scan method, but it will take hours.

Posted via my Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-04-16 12:11 PM
    Man, I'm using the BlackBerry 10 OS for a few years and never had a tiny problem. What do you do with your devices so they start behaving like that? OK, doesn't matter, that was a rithoric question.

Did you check the card through the computer? Did you do a regular backup of all your data?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 12:16 PM
    I will try recovera when I get home. See if it can recover anything.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-16 12:57 PM
    If the card is still not being used after you formatted, Recuva most likely will be able to recover the files using the deep scan method, but it will take hours.

Posted via my Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Joeragan thanks for the suggestion. Recuva managed to recover most of the pictures and videos using the deep scan method. I was surprised it found anything even after I formatted the card.

I will buy a new sd card anyway. Not sure what brand is best but I'm leaning towards Kingston.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 and FF22 like this.
    01-05-16 06:21 AM
    Joeragan thanks for the suggestion. Recuva managed to recover most of the pictures and videos using the deep scan method. I was surprised it found anything even after I formatted the card.

I will buy a new sd card anyway. Not sure what brand is best but I'm leaning towards Kingston.

Posted via CB10
    When you delete a file or format a drive or memory card, nothing is actually "deleted".
    • Delete = The file managing system overwrites the drive/card record that catalogs where the file is at, kinda like a library Dewey decimal system. It changes what is recorded there, in this case it says "no file at that spot". Some versions of Delete will overwrite the first byte of a file with a certain byte that the file manager knows to ignore. In this case the catalog would know there is a file there, but it is ignored by the file manager, and can over write that sector/cell if needed.
    • Format = The file managing system overwrites all of the records in the catalog and resets or changes the type of cataloging system, like going from FAT32 to exFAT. In this case it would say "storage is blank and ready for files to be written"

Meanwhile, the spots where the real file is at, still has all the data that make up that file.
    So by using software that ignores the catalog system and looks for data recorded on each section/cell of the drive/card, it can re-compile what was stored.
    It's limitation is that if between the time the drive/card was formatted or the file was deleted, if the drive/card has had new data written to it, then the lost files may be truly lost as the sector/cell it resided in has now been overwritten with new data.
    This is why when dealing with secure systems, when a file or format is performed, a second process is done to further wipe the sectors/cells from all data.

That said, even when encountering an extreme glitch, it is rare for a BlackBerry to actually delete a file on it's own.
    Mostly any app access to a file on a BlackBerry is handled through the system cache, which is why when a cache gets corrupted, the apps can't see the file until the corruption is corrected or the cache is rebuilt.
    If it ever happens again, perform what I suggested above.
    01-05-16 06:49 AM
    Thanks guys.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 09:02 AM
    I steer well clear of SanDisk, never did trust them. Always use Kingston.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    I'll second this, I lost a lot of valuable pics on my old 32gb class 10 SanDisk, thing just died out of nowhere; now on Kingston and not an issue yet

Posted via CB10
    01-05-16 09:10 AM
    A bit late but I always upload my pictures to the cloud. So if something happens with the card, I still have the data. That can be done automatically by using Dropbox or Box.

Personally I use Transcend cards. Good price / performance ratio.

Posted with a BlackBerry
    01-05-16 11:22 PM