Yup.... first BlackBerry I've owned since the beginning that had its screen shatter from a fall out of my front pocket onto hardwood flooring while I was sitting on a couch.

Top right looks like it was hit by a bullet and spider cracks all over the screen. Dark Backgrounds make it much more tolerable.

Question and opinions needed

I have 126.00 to go on my Telus account for this phone. I might just pay it and get a new device BUT need opinion:

Go with another z30 and be locked for 2 years and probably see a replacement to the z30?

Go with the Passport

Jump ship and go with the Samsung Galaxy 6. A variety of reasons point me here. I'm tired of apps not working properly, lack of native app construction, tired of always having to first do a work around to get this to work. The address book and calendar are absolutely dreadful.

Honest assessments guys. Now looking for opinion.

Thanks.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    05-10-15 09:54 PM
    Tought call, order a new z30 for $229 plus taxes? the s6 is nice, but android... The passport is a great device, fast and beautiful, but the keyboard is very stiff, i did not like the feel.
    05-10-15 10:08 PM
    The phone shop down the street charges about $100 to install a new screen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.500
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    05-10-15 10:19 PM
    It's probably one of the easiest DIY screen replacement procedures I've ever done. Just make sure you get the right screen.

Posted via CB10
    joewoo likes this.
    05-10-15 10:23 PM
    Z30 screen is like. $40. Easy to replace.... i go with anew screen for me it's a no brainer
    05-10-15 11:17 PM
    It's probably one of the easiest DIY screen replacement procedures I've ever done. Just make sure you get the right screen.

Posted via CB10
    Have to agree. Did this before with Amazon selling the screen along with the tool needed to remove and replace for around $40. Very simple, took all of 10 minutes to unscrew, replace, screw back on. There are many resellers selling the screen cheap. Just get the correct one; either GSM or the Verizon CDMA screen. Definitely a cheap option for now if you don't want to commit to another contract for now.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 01:29 AM
    Well I've called about 4 cell repair shops in my local area and all of them quote me between $120-140 to replace the screen.

My contract buyout is $126.00

Tough call.

Then again if I buy it out and get a new device I would still have a new 2 year contract with hardware charges.

I love the phone.... just BlackBerry really pisses me off these days.

Hardware repair looks like the best most economical route. But really? Up to $140? (CDN)

05-11-15 11:55 AM
    Well I've called about 4 cell repair shops in my local area and all of them quote me between $120-140 to replace the screen.

Tough call.

Then again if I buy it out and get a new device I would still have a new 2 year contract with hardware charges.

Hardware repair looks like the best most economical route. But really? Up to $140? (CDN)

You definitely do not need a repair shop to replace the Z30 screen! You can likely buy the GSM one for about $30. A while ago I bought a Verizon one it was $40.

There is a simple video on YouTube on how to replace the Z30 screen. I've never took a cell phone apart and the first time I replaced a Z30 screen took me 10 minutes and cost less than $40 with shipping.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 12:29 PM

Tough call.

if you know how to unscrew screws.... and unclip ribbon cables..... you can replace the screen yourself
    05-11-15 02:56 PM
    if you know how to unscrew screws.... and unclip ribbon cables..... you can replace the screen yourself
    Yup, it is really that simple on the Z30. Just unscrew the back and there is only one ribbon cable clip on. Just unclip, remove old screen, reclip new screen and screw back on. I have a white Z30 with a black screen lol. It was all I could find on Amazon Prime at the time.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 03:45 PM
    Agreed the z10 was a notch higher for difficulty as it has more ribbon cables and more pieces on the inside.

I did a screen replacement on an iPhone 5s and that was way more complicated and took double the time.

 Z30 STA100-5/10.3.1.1865
    05-11-15 04:32 PM
    I wouldn't repair it, there may be something else damaged inside the phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 04:55 PM
    Diy screen replace

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    05-11-15 05:07 PM
    Anyone have a link to where I can buy a screen? What screen am I looking for? I'm worried about buying the wrong one.

05-11-15 05:30 PM
    Anyone have a link to where I can buy a screen? What screen am I looking for? I'm worried about buying the wrong one.

Find the you tube by JC. It has a link to the site to get it. I just did this last week. Fast shipping. Works great.

My awesome Z30
    05-11-15 05:48 PM

I just replaced the screen on my wife's Verizon Z30 last night. Couldn't be easier. The forum won't let me add a link to this post because I have less than 10 posts to my name, so sorry no URL. But go to Amazon and and search for "LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Frame for BlackBerry Z30 4G CDMA Verizon - US Cellular Parts"

The important thing is where ever you order the part from make sure you are ordering the touchscreen digitizer assembly and not just the touchscreen digitizer. The assembly includes the frame with the nuts that the screws go into from the back.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-11-15 08:14 PM
    I just replaced the screen on my wife's Verizon Z30 last night. Couldn't be easier. The forum won't let me add a link to this post because I have less than 10 posts to my name, so sorry no URL. But go to Amazon and and search for "LCD Display Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Frame for BlackBerry Z30 4G CDMA Verizon - US Cellular Parts"

The important thing is where ever you order the part from make sure you are ordering the touchscreen digitizer assembly and not just the touchscreen digitizer. The assembly includes the frame with the nuts that the screws go into from the back.
    And maybe you can verify

http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-Asse...UvbUpU11629986
    05-11-15 10:09 PM
    I'll reply as this is correct for the Verizon model. Replaced a GSM screen from them as they sell both. There are only two screens; GSM and Verizon CDMA. Just make sure you do get the right one!

Edit: just noticed the price went up a few bucks, but still the easiest inexpensive solution.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-15 10:36 PM
    Yup.... first BlackBerry I've owned since the beginning that had its screen shatter from a fall out of my front pocket onto hardwood flooring while I was sitting on a couch.

Top right looks like it was hit by a bullet and spider cracks all over the screen. Dark Backgrounds make it much more tolerable.

Question and opinions needed

I have 126.00 to go on my Telus account for this phone. I might just pay it and get a new device BUT need opinion:

Go with another z30 and be locked for 2 years and probably see a replacement to the z30?

Go with the Passport

Jump ship and go with the Samsung Galaxy 6. A variety of reasons point me here. I'm tired of apps not working properly, lack of native app construction, tired of always having to first do a work around to get this to work. The address book and calendar are absolutely dreadful.

Honest assessments guys. Now looking for opinion.

Thanks.

I love my Z30, but the Passport is truly innovative. I don't use or need any big name apps on my phone, I have an iPad for whenever I feel like playing a game or something. The Passport is just awesome, and if I had to have just one phone, it would be the Passport for sure. The Z30 is still nice, but the Passport is better in every way. I still put my sim card in the Z30 and use it a few times a week, because there is something fun about typing on the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard, and I think the Z30 is a beautiful phone.
    05-11-15 11:28 PM
    Etradesupply.com has Z30 digitizers in stock and they ship from Texas, not China. About $40, if you do regular shipping. Overnight adds 30 more I think. Someone gave me that info in another post.

I'm going to order one soon. I dropped my Z30 and it only has a hairline crack.

Z30-5 10.3.1.2744, Z10-3 10.3.2.158
    05-12-15 02:19 AM
    And maybe you can verify

URL removed because forum won't even allow a URL in a quote
    You got it, that is exactly what I bought. It comes with the correct torx screwdriver and several plastic pry tools. $48 total isn't a horrible price and I received it two days after I ordered. The original shipping estimate was something in the range of 6-12 days but it arrived in 2.

One other note: The youtube video I watched showed 10 screws on the back that needed to be removed. As you know there are different models of the Z30. Mine is a STA100-3 and it only has 8 screws. Other than that the youtube video was spot on.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-12-15 05:39 AM