so decided to go rafting after having a few beers with the friends at a pub, paid $80. Got a plastic bag and everything for the electronics. Had a great time rafting with the boys and as the trip nears its end I notice the bag is dead weight. Had a tiny hole in it, and everything we put in their to keep dry was super soaked.

But thats okay right, since I made sure to turn off my z30 before putting it in the bag. So I have a soaked phone, not too mad or anything since I've had my bold 9900 and even the z10 get wet before I just made sure to remove the battery and let everything dry. Oh wait!, what did you say? I cant remove the damn battery from the damn z30, well, damn, thats a great idea, I think whoever decided this at bb headquarters needs to be shot. But no worries right, I got the damn thing turned off so it should be fine.

Wait 48 hours, sitting in rice, and silica... I get way to paranoid, so I decided to void my warranty and crack open the thing just to make sure its dry. (what use is a warranty with guarnteed water damage). its still wet on the inside and I notice corrosion on the mainboard along with burnout spots

I never once tried to turn the phone on. I blame everything on the fact I could not take out the damn battery. Well in actuality I should blame myself for going on a rafting trip and not bringing a pro-stay dry bag or whatever. Couldn't leave it in the car since the guy dropping us off was leaving town. We planned on rafting down to the guys house who was with us anyways...

sorry for this rant of a post. had a couple beers, honestly I loved the z30 but its no more. Not sure now what I am going to do.

1. I want the passport but no clue when it supposed to be released. I could live without a phone for a month at most but it gets ridiculous otherwise. I guess I could always just get a loner.

2. I think the screen of the z30 might be okay. So maybe I could get someone selling a z30 with a broken screen and I could just swap em' out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

RIP my Z30
    08-17-14 12:23 AM
    It's water damaged, no warranty will cover. What is it you want to get? I suggest a second hand Q10 or something until the passport is out

Sent from 2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    Guyzer likes this.
    08-17-14 12:34 AM
    My zero dollar trip to the local pool cost me my z30. Thing flew off my lap when I got out of my car and hit the concrete. Cracked screen but still usable.

Bought a used Q10 and shipped the Z30 off for repairs (square trade warranty).

Now, just trying to get used to this physical qwerty.

Posted via CB10
    Guyzer likes this.
    08-17-14 06:59 AM
    You imply it wasn't just the Z30 in the bag. Is everything else ruined too?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 07:04 AM
    Wait, so you took a electronic device into water (with a zip lock bag that got a hole in it) and your blaming BlackBerry? Sometimes in life it is our fault eh. Can't always blame someone else for your mistake.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 07:41 AM
    To the original poster, I think you're quite optimistic about the ability of electronic devices to work after they get wet.
    08-17-14 08:06 AM
    OP, thanks for posting, I needed something to brighten my day up while I watch my mother die in front of my eyes. Thank you. Now I feel much better knowing that others are having a much worse day than I am.

What a .......................................
    08-17-14 08:09 AM
    Even though this is a pretty basic story of a smartphone that was ruined when it got wet, there are some intriguing details offered:

1. What does $80 have to do with it and what did it pay for, especially if it was just your share of the cost. It seems a little much for an impromptu raft trip. What time were you at the pub if you had time to plan and execute a raft trip afterwards?
    2. Got a plastic bag and everything for the electronics...everything we put in their(sic) to keep dry was super soaked. Was everyone's electronics in the same bag? What does "and everything" mean? Was this bag especially designed to keep devices dry since everyone's electronics were in there? How did the other devices fare?
    3. But no worries right, I got the damn thing turned off so it should be fine. - You weren't worried that your phone was soaked because you turned it off? Even if you get the phone working again, corrosion problems kick in eventually.

I agree that a sealed-in battery makes this process more difficult but mostly because there are fewer gaps to allow water to drain/evaporate than a device that has a removable cover and battery. I don't think that smartphones are designed to facilitate easier water drainage, however.

Sorry that you lost your Z30. It's a reminder to us that our treasured devices can be easily ruined by water and cautionary tale about impaired judgement after drinking, If you want a Passport, you had better count a loaner for some months because who knows what the availability will be in your area.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by early2bed; 08-17-14 at 10:00 AM.
    Guyzer likes this.
    08-17-14 09:43 AM
    It is not difficult to get inexpensive replacement parts. It takes a while to ship but you can get them from several places. Just for fun this is the first one that showed up for me : GENUINE MOTHERBOARD FOR BLACKBERRY Z30 - MAINBOARD USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics There are several Asian sites that show up as well. You can repair the phone for less than you'd think.

The unlocked phones are not super expensive in Canada at BlackBerry Smartphones & Accessories ? Buy Unlocked Phones, Cases, Chargers, Batteries, Bluetooth Accessories & More

Finally you can try your luck on eBay at Blackberry Z30 Latest Model 16GB with Otter Case 802975054183 | eBay for about $200 - this one even comes with an Otter case which is a good omen ;-)
    Guyzer likes this.
    08-17-14 09:58 AM
    OP, thanks for posting, I needed something to brighten my day up while I watch my mother die in front of my eyes. Thank you. Now I feel much better knowing that others are having a much worse day than I am.

I went through that process with my father just over a month ago. My heart goes out to you and your family in this difficult time.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-17-14 10:06 AM
    A perfect example of when to leave your phone in the car.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 11:03 AM
    Don't bother fixing it imo. Too much hassle. Just get a used phone. I have a similar problem where my Z30 no longer performs the way it used to after a fall... problem is I'm not sure what phone I'd want to get. there isn't another blackberry that I want more than a Z30 but it seems like an opportunity to replace it with something else. If only the P9982 was like $1500 cheaper
    Guyzer likes this.
    08-17-14 11:05 AM
    So you made this decision after having a few. Lots of after the fact police and insurance company reports start with exactly that same phrase.

" I do not think that word means what you think it means. "
    Guyzer likes this.
    08-17-14 11:37 AM
    I've been lucky and not urinalized or otherwise hydrated my phone.

But I do see those Samsung ads and wonder why BlackBerry can't make a water resistant phone also.

Saw someone say in another thread that BlackBerry was a premium device and they were tired of seeing people saying they should be sold at anything under 800 dollars.

OK so if it'a premium why can't it have premium features like metal and leather and waterproofing. If you're gonna list every BlackBerry at sky high prices then make them be worth it.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.2.2.1531 / T-Mobile USA
    08-17-14 12:01 PM
    It is not difficult to get inexpensive replacement parts. It takes a while to ship but you can get them from several places. Just for fun this is the first one that showed up for me : GENUINE MOTHERBOARD FOR BLACKBERRY Z30 - MAINBOARD USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics There are several Asian sites that show up as well. You can repair the phone for less than you'd think.

The unlocked phones are not super expensive in Canada at BlackBerry Smartphones & Accessories ? Buy Unlocked Phones, Cases, Chargers, Batteries, Bluetooth Accessories & More

Finally you can try your luck on eBay at Blackberry Z30 Latest Model 16GB with Otter Case 802975054183 | eBay for about $200 - this one even comes with an Otter case which is a good omen ;-)
    I never thought that it would be possible to buy a mainboard. the price seems really good to, I wonder, if someone wanted a z30 would it be feasible to buy all the parts seperately?? I do realize that if I were to buy parts, you never know what is damamged, so if I got a z30 mainboard, the screen might be dead, if I got a battery the mainboard might be fried. I've just never thought of doing this before. I wonder has anyone ever tried?
    08-17-14 02:05 PM
    Yeah totally understand this was my fault, I was just ranting. Appreciate all the feedback. I don't want to leave BB and I think a used q10 or z10 or even one for really cheap might tie me over till the passport comes out. btw which does anyone even have any guesses as to its release date?

It feels weird to be without a phone, you see everyone with their devices, and you think of what you once had. In a weird sense its also a little liberating. You get a sense of freedom from being always connected. I am still able to get my messages though, whereever I can find free wifi. Im just using my wifi nexus7 to connect to hotspots in the odd spot.

I dont ever recommend anyone take their phone rafting but now I have an excuse to get the passport (like I even needed one

ps. $80 rafting was all in for a 6 man raft. was near 25 degrees celsius out going down the bow. fun times

ps.s. Everyone put their devices in, mine was the only one to get damaged. We also put some dry clothes in their to put on after which of course was not too dry
    08-17-14 02:11 PM

No there's a guy on another thread complaining about the horror of trying to get a phone with square corners out of a pocket...... the horror

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    08-17-14 02:32 PM
    I'm not sure how "going commando" is in any way related to disassembling a device,.. but ... Okay. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Any excuse to shed the underwear. Lol

08-17-14 02:36 PM
    No there's a guy on another thread complaining about the horror of trying to get a phone with square corners out of a pocket...... the horror

Square corners???

Posted from an ME173X
    08-17-14 06:01 PM
    Square corners???

Posted from an ME173X
    Passport..... oh the horror

08-17-14 06:48 PM
    so decided to go rafting after having a few beers with the friends at a pub, paid $80. Got a plastic bag and everything for the electronics. Had a great time rafting with the boys and as the trip nears its end I notice the bag is dead weight. Had a tiny hole in it, and everything we put in their to keep dry was super soaked.

But thats okay right, since I made sure to turn off my z30 before putting it in the bag. So I have a soaked phone, not too mad or anything since I've had my bold 9900 and even the z10 get wet before I just made sure to remove the battery and let everything dry. Oh wait!, what did you say? I cant remove the damn battery from the damn z30, well, damn, thats a great idea, I think whoever decided this at bb headquarters needs to be shot. But no worries right, I got the damn thing turned off so it should be fine.

Wait 48 hours, sitting in rice, and silica... I get way to paranoid, so I decided to void my warranty and crack open the thing just to make sure its dry. (what use is a warranty with guarnteed water damage). its still wet on the inside and I notice corrosion on the mainboard along with burnout spots

I never once tried to turn the phone on. I blame everything on the fact I could not take out the damn battery. Well in actuality I should blame myself for going on a rafting trip and not bringing a pro-stay dry bag or whatever. Couldn't leave it in the car since the guy dropping us off was leaving town. We planned on rafting down to the guys house who was with us anyways...

sorry for this rant of a post. had a couple beers, honestly I loved the z30 but its no more. Not sure now what I am going to do.

1. I want the passport but no clue when it supposed to be released. I could live without a phone for a month at most but it gets ridiculous otherwise. I guess I could always just get a loner.

2. I think the screen of the z30 might be okay. So maybe I could get someone selling a z30 with a broken screen and I could just swap em' out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

RIP my Z30
    Pal, you should be happy because after drinking and it only cost you your z30, but not your or someone else life while you was driving to your drafting location, so be happy and buy another phone.
    08-17-14 07:14 PM
    Pal, you should be happy because after drinking and it only cost you your z30, but not your or someone else life while you was driving to your drafting location, so be happy and buy another phone.
    lol, we had a sober driver of course. dropped us off at the river and we rafted down to buddies house. we are quite responsible like that
    08-18-14 12:21 AM