I should have also mentioned that I'm on AT&T in Chicago (live in wicker park, work in Rosemont) and I get LTE everywhere except the subway (where I am as I type this). I'm using the 5 from shopblackberry.com.

If anyone is in Northwest Indiana or Joliet I'll be headed to both those places over the weekend and could report back on the LTE there.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 05:29 PM
    So, even just after a few days I confirm the Z30 is worth it compared to the Z10.

Actually, I believe that BlackBerry should not have released the Z10 and start directly with the Z30!

Posted via CB10
    Numero12 and kdklein like this.
    04-26-14 02:32 AM
    I definitely love my Z30, best phone I'd ever own!

One question for Z30 users: Android apps reduce battery daily life? Even when they are not in use?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 08:42 AM
    I definitely love my Z30, best phone I'd ever own!

One question for Z30 users: Android apps reduce battery daily life? Even when they are not in use?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Not that I've noticed. Had a z10 since launch and just got a z30.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 10:51 AM
    Can you restore everything, or anything, for that matter, from a complete Z10 backup?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:28 AM
    Can you restore everything, or anything, for that matter, from a complete Z10 backup?

Posted via CB10
    I did a device switch and everything came over, which makes a backup first of the Z10 so yes I think it does.
    KenV54 likes this.
    04-26-14 11:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes I did backups in sets: media, apps and settings from a Z10. Couldn't get device switch method to work.

Restored to Z30 no issue!
    KenV54 likes this.
    04-26-14 11:49 AM
    I too am seriously considering switching from the Z10 to Z30, mainly for the extended battery life.
    Has anyone who made the switch noticed better performance as far as little glitches go? I sometimes get little 'phantom' glitches such as lowered notification volume, when I did not lower it, re-entering a contact phone number & then having the same number appear twice under that contact (original long number without brackets or dashes & re-entered with brackets & dashes. It's the same number but they both appear & the original will not delete). Does the Z30 also have small glitches like these? Not that it would stop me from upgrading but just curious.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 02:30 PM
    I too am seriously considering switching from the Z10 to Z30, mainly for the extended battery life.
    Has anyone who made the switch noticed better performance as far as little glitches go? I sometimes get little 'phantom' glitches such as lowered notification volume, when I did not lower it, re-entering a contact phone number & then having the same number appear twice under that contact (original long number without brackets or dashes & re-entered with brackets & dashes. It's the same number but they both appear & the original will not delete). Does the Z30 also have small glitches like these? Not that it would stop me from upgrading but just curious.
    Go ahead, make the switch! I'm on the third week since I switched Z10 to Z30 and the experience is wonderful. Z30 rocks!

Posted via CB10 for BlackBerry Z30
    04-26-14 02:38 PM
    We own now two z30. T-Mobile LTE works great in northern Germany. My wife lives actually with her white one and her iphone 5s.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 02:49 PM
    Oh I forgot to mention. I switched from Z10 to Z30. The Z30 is amazing!!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 02:51 PM
    In a word,,,,,Yes.
    04-26-14 03:30 PM
    I'm a BlackBerry user since 2008 and currently I have a Z10. Previoulsy I own the Bold 9900. Since a year ago, I have a BB Z10 and I'm happy, but now I want to move to the Z30. Worth it?
    Yes it is. You can pretty much get by with just the phone throughout the day, and use your tablet much less. Good call quality, battery life etc....except for laying out the extra cash there are no downsides that I can think of.

PS - Use the Amazon store to download and run Android software too.
    04-26-14 03:37 PM
    I sometimes get little 'phantom' glitches such as lowered notification volume, when I did not lower it, re-entering a contact phone number & then having the same number appear twice under that contact (original long number without brackets or dashes & re-entered with brackets & dashes. It's the same number but they both appear & the original will not delete). Does the Z30 also have small glitches like these?
    Posted via CB10
    Not me. None whatsoever.
    04-26-14 03:42 PM
    Been pondering the very same thing for a little while now. The Z10 is a great device, but my only real gripe from day 1 which still remains has been with the battery life, the Z30 looks to be much better suited as a daily driver for me as a heavy user on battery life alone. That and all the other hardware perks/advantages it brings (great speakers, miracast, quad core gpu etc) are making it more and more difficult to resist!

Thinking my Red Z might be taking a back seat primarily as a leak tester and spare secondary device in the coming weeks...

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 04:09 PM
    Lol for people wondering about Battery.

At this current moment CB app open and music player going.

Moving from Z10 to Z30... Is it worth?-img_20140426_185847.png

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 05:59 PM
    it doesn't need a removeable battery. The Z10 battery life is abysmal; an absolute embarrassment to the Blackberry name. I couldn't last half a day on it and it has cost me more times than I can count on my hand. I can last almost 2 days on a Z30.

There are a host of other reasons why the Z30 is much better, but they've been covered in this thread. Features such as Miracast, Wi-fi direct, USB OTG are all missing on the Z10. The larger screen makes reading emails and documents far easier on the eyes (and also easier to type with), and I also prefer the super AMOLED to the LCD (for anyone wondering, it's plenty bright. I've never cranked it up all the way). It also runs smoother with a faster CPU and GPU. Sound quality is night and day. Paratek antenna supposedly leads to better call reception as well.

But I would say the best perk isn't even the features or display/sound. The build quality on the Z30 compared to the Z10 is night and day; the Z10 is a very cheap device and looks even more budget than many of the older legacy devices, feeling very plasticky and built with minimal attention paid to fit and finish, while the Z30 has a smooth, glossy screen and weaved back pattern leading to a very "premium" feeling alongside all of the other current flagship phones. The Z10 on the other hand looks terrible next to any of the current leading devices.

Definitely upgrade if you can. There's no guarantee the next touchscreen unicorn will ever show up. The Z30 is Blackberry's flagship and pinnacle and captures the best that BB10 has on offer.
    The battery issue is vastly overstated for both the Z10 and the Z30, imo. If you were doing things on the Z10 to make it last half a day, then you can not get two days worth on the Z30 with the same usage. On my Z10, I could go from 6:30AM to about 8PM before having to plug it in. On my Z30, I can get a day and a half on my Z30 with similar usage.
    Also, the Z10 was an award winning design. To say that its cheap and plastic-ey, would be like those who claim the Z30 has poor build quality. Watch out for those using the term "build quality", they don't know what they are talking about. The Z10 looks far from terrible. Its actually one the most attractive phones out there, even now.
    The SAMOLED screen on the Z30 is just fine, but on the dark side and with all the short comings that come with SAMOLED, but also the advantages. To each their own on that one. To me, the Z30 display is not up to par when compared to the Z10 display. Not even close. But, the trade off is a larger screen which saves on battery consumption with the SAMOLED technology. And I can't really tell too much difference between the two when playing HQ movies. The bigger screen is nice for games though. I would have preferred the LCD screen like on the Z10 and taken the battery hit since I'm sure it would last me all day plus with the Z30 battery.
    I don't find a noticeable difference in performance between the two either. Both are very fast as far as I'm concerned. (and several reviewers)
    I was beginning to think that the whole Paratek thing was overblown as well, but on a recent road trip, my Z30 using BB Maps was still receiving signal and accurate while driving through the mountains. My companion's GS3 running Google Maps was not, and when it did, it had us located in the middle of the forest instead of on the road. Same network. (Verizon)
    Sound quality is night and day, however. Not to say that anything is wrong with the Z10, the Z30 is really that good in that respect. Maybe the best out there.
    Thats my take on the differences between the two in my experience. I personally thought the Z10 was a fantastic device after 10.2.1. I had an upgrade available, so I upgraded. I tried to go back to my Z10 thinking maybe the smaller size would be better in my pocket while at work. While I do miss how nice that display really is, I went back to the Z30 within a day. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and rick0415 like this.
    04-26-14 06:23 PM
    it doesn't need a removeable battery. The Z10 battery life is abysmal; an absolute embarrassment to the Blackberry name. I couldn't last half a day on it and it has cost me more times than I can count on my hand. I can last almost 2 days on a Z30.

There are a host of other reasons why the Z30 is much better, but they've been covered in this thread. Features such as Miracast, Wi-fi direct, USB OTG are all missing on the Z10. The larger screen makes reading emails and documents far easier on the eyes (and also easier to type with), and I also prefer the super AMOLED to the LCD (for anyone wondering, it's plenty bright. I've never cranked it up all the way). It also runs smoother with a faster CPU and GPU. Sound quality is night and day. Paratek antenna supposedly leads to better call reception as well.

But I would say the best perk isn't even the features or display/sound. The build quality on the Z30 compared to the Z10 is night and day; the Z10 is a very cheap device and looks even more budget than many of the older legacy devices, feeling very plasticky and built with minimal attention paid to fit and finish, while the Z30 has a smooth, glossy screen and weaved back pattern leading to a very "premium" feeling alongside all of the other current flagship phones. The Z10 on the other hand looks terrible next to any of the current leading devices.

Definitely upgrade if you can. There's no guarantee the next touchscreen unicorn will ever show up. The Z30 is Blackberry's flagship and pinnacle and captures the best that BB10 has on offer.
    I agree! The Z30 is great!

Posted using my Z30
    04-26-14 06:38 PM
    The battery issue is vastly overstated for both the Z10 and the Z30, imo. If you were doing things on the Z10 to make it last half a day, then you can not get two days worth on the Z30 with the same usage. On my Z10, I could go from 6:30AM to about 8PM before having to plug it in. On my Z30, I can get a day and a half on my Z30 with similar usage.
    Also, the Z10 was an award winning design. To say that its cheap and plastic-ey, would be like those who claim the Z30 has poor build quality. Watch out for those using the term "build quality", they don't know what they are talking about. The Z10 looks far from terrible. Its actually one the most attractive phones out there, even now.
    The SAMOLED screen on the Z30 is just fine, but on the dark side and with all the short comings that come with SAMOLED, but also the advantages. To each their own on that one. To me, the Z30 display is not up to par when compared to the Z10 display. Not even close. But, the trade off is a larger screen which saves on battery consumption with the SAMOLED technology. And I can't really tell too much difference between the two when playing HQ movies. The bigger screen is nice for games though. I would have preferred the LCD screen like on the Z10 and taken the battery hit since I'm sure it would last me all day plus with the Z30 battery.
    I don't find a noticeable difference in performance between the two either. Both are very fast as far as I'm concerned. (and several reviewers)
    I was beginning to think that the whole Paratek thing was overblown as well, but on a recent road trip, my Z30 using BB Maps was still receiving signal and accurate while driving through the mountains. My companion's GS3 running Google Maps was not, and when it did, it had us located in the middle of the forest instead of on the road. Same network. (Verizon)
    Sound quality is night and day, however. Not to say that anything is wrong with the Z10, the Z30 is really that good in that respect. Maybe the best out there.
    Thats my take on the differences between the two in my experience. I personally thought the Z10 was a fantastic device after 10.2.1. I had an upgrade available, so I upgraded. I tried to go back to my Z10 thinking maybe the smaller size would be better in my pocket while at work. While I do miss how nice that display really is, I went back to the Z30 within a day. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for this review. I was planning on sticking with my Z10 and this comparison helps confirm that decision. I don't think it's worth $500 as an upgrade for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:47 PM
    Just got my Z30 today. Moved from a Z10. Best purchase ever. Bell Mobility don't even display this unit. I had to ask and it was brought out from the back room. Great feel and very fast.
    04-26-14 06:49 PM
    I agree. The z10 has better screen disolay. The samoled is abit too dark for my eyes. But other thst that, this z30 is one of the best smartphones out there.
    04-26-14 07:06 PM
    Thank you for this review. I was planning on sticking with my Z10 and this comparison helps confirm that decision. I don't think it's worth $500 as an upgrade for me.

Posted via CB10
    Don't get me wrong, the Z30 is fantastic and is a legitimate upgrade from the Z10. Battery life and sound quality are the features that sold me. But I was happy enough with the Z10 to wait until I could upgrade to the Z30 for $99.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leehardballer12; 04-26-14 at 07:19 PM.
    04-26-14 07:07 PM
    Don't get me wrong, the Z30 is fantastic and is a legitimate upgrade from the Z10. Battery life and sound quality are the features that sold me. But I was happy enough with the Z10 to wait until I could upgrade to the Z30 for $99.

Posted via CB10
    My comment to follow takes into account all the earlier ones from today, as well.

It seems as though the reception is better on the Z30, so if you're doing a lot of road travel and using BB Maps it's important.

Everyone says the sound quality is better on the Z30--I assume they're talking about the speakers and not when using headphones--so if you don't listen to the phone on speakers, it doesn't really matter.

No doubt the battery on the Z30 lasts longer than the one on the Z10--it's really only important that the battery lasts a whole day unless you're awake for 24 hours straight. I have an extra battery and battery charger for my Z10, and once or twice a week I have to use it, but it's no big deal for me in my circumstances.

I understand that the Z30 camera is better, and that the processor is faster than the Z10. The pictures I take are for personal use, not display. For most of the things I do on a smartphone, speed beyond that of the Z10 with 10.2.1.2974 isn't important.

The Z30 screen is larger, of course, but the resolution is to me noticeably worse. That turns out to be the kicker for me. This morning I was all set to get a STA 100-5 unlocked on E-Bay for about $400 to use with AT&T, or maybe even switch to Verizon since my contract is now up with AT&T (I had bought the Z10 last year on my wife's contract). So I went to the Verizon store, where a working Z30 was on display (although they had none in stock to sell), and played around with it for 15-20 minutes. I brought up the same high quality website with a lot of text on both the Z10 and the Z30, equalized the size of the text on the two phones, and there was no question that the Z10 was noticeably sharper, just overall superior to my eyes.

I'm sure that the larger screen of the Z30 makes it preferable for watching movies or baseball or videos in general, and with the better speaker sound, I would take the Z30 over the Z10 for videos, and probably for games, but I don't play any games.

Just for fun, I also compared the Z10 to the new iPhone 5s--the resolution is a little better on the iPhone, hardly noticeable, but I passed on the iPhone a year ago in favor of the Z10 for all sorts of reasons and feel I have been vindicated on that one--no regrets at all.

If I were buying a new phone today and had the choice of a Z10 and Z30 on AT&T, with the Z30 going for $200 more than the Z10, I'm not even sure which I would choose at this point. That's sort of the choice I have now, because on Ebay you can get a Z30 unlocked for about $400 and I could sell my Z10 unlocked for about $200.

I think the choice between the Z10 and Z30 depends more on what you need and want in a phone and how you use it personally, rather than on the admitted superiority of the Z30 in terms of build quality, speed, sound and reception. And if the Z50 is really coming out later this year, well, that might be worth waiting for.
    andy957 likes this.
    04-26-14 10:22 PM
    My comment to follow takes into account all the earlier ones from today, as well.

It seems as though the reception is better on the Z30, so if you're doing a lot of road travel and using BB Maps it's important.

Everyone says the sound quality is better on the Z30--I assume they're talking about the speakers and not when using headphones--so if you don't listen to the phone on speakers, it doesn't really matter.

No doubt the battery on the Z30 lasts longer than the one on the Z10--it's really only important that the battery lasts a whole day unless you're awake for 24 hours straight. I have an extra battery and battery charger for my Z10, and once or twice a week I have to use it, but it's no big deal for me in my circumstances.

I understand that the Z30 camera is better, and that the processor is faster than the Z10. The pictures I take are for personal use, not display. For most of the things I do on a smartphone, speed beyond that of the Z10 with 10.2.1.2974 isn't important.

The Z30 screen is larger, of course, but the resolution is to me noticeably worse. That turns out to be the kicker for me. This morning I was all set to get a STA 100-5 unlocked on E-Bay for about $400 to use with AT&T, or maybe even switch to Verizon since my contract is now up with AT&T (I had bought the Z10 last year on my wife's contract). So I went to the Verizon store, where a working Z30 was on display (although they had none in stock to sell), and played around with it for 15-20 minutes. I brought up the same high quality website with a lot of text on both the Z10 and the Z30, equalized the size of the text on the two phones, and there was no question that the Z10 was noticeably sharper, just overall superior to my eyes.

I'm sure that the larger screen of the Z30 makes it preferable for watching movies or baseball or videos in general, and with the better speaker sound, I would take the Z30 over the Z10 for videos, and probably for games, but I don't play any games.

Just for fun, I also compared the Z10 to the new iPhone 5s--the resolution is a little better on the iPhone, hardly noticeable, but I passed on the iPhone a year ago in favor of the Z10 for all sorts of reasons and feel I have been vindicated on that one--no regrets at all.

If I were buying a new phone today and had the choice of a Z10 and Z30 on AT&T, with the Z30 going for $200 more than the Z10, I'm not even sure which I would choose at this point. That's sort of the choice I have now, because on Ebay you can get a Z30 unlocked for about $400 and I could sell my Z10 unlocked for about $200.

I think the choice between the Z10 and Z30 depends more on what you need and want in a phone and how you use it personally, rather than on the admitted superiority of the Z30 in terms of build quality, speed, sound and reception. And if the Z50 is really coming out later this year, well, that might be worth waiting for.
    No argument from me about the Z10 display. Its top notch, imo. When I speak of the sound quality, I'm speaking of the loudspeakers. Wifi calls on BBM also sound outstanding. Not sure if its the same with the Z10 because I never used that feature on my Z10. I don't find the earpiece (for phone calls) to be any better on the Z30 sound-wise (except for wifi calls), but it has not started crackling on me yet like the Z10 did.
    I thought the Z10 took excellent photos for the most part. I cannot get the same results as consistently with my Z30. Maybe because of the difference in display quality? Like I've said, the Z30 display is far from bad. The Z10 display is just that excellent, imo.
    I think both devices are very underrated, but it is the Z30 that seems to be gaining momentum and getting at least a little positive press for BlackBerry. For me, my Z10 was no worse on battery life than my 2 year old 9850, but I did so much more on my Z10. That said, battery life is far superior on the Z30. I was the only person in my group of 8 that did not have to have my phone connected to a charger and fighting for limited charger cords on a recent road trip. And I was using BB Maps most of the time. When I did need to top off, it charged very fast. I was very pleased with the performance of the Z30 all around on the things that matter compared to the other devices.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    04-26-14 11:52 PM
    I got my z30 last week (8 days ago). I've charged it 5 times. That includes twice when I only put it down for 20 minutes. Keep in mind also that the first day I worked it over hard, and I upgraded the OS 2days ago and reset all my apps and accounts.

Just pulled an 8 hour shift with 6 hours playing FM radio. I used 20 percent battery (84% to 64%). It's been off the charger since 10 this morning. Volume was at 70% the whole time. Messaging in between.

I also had two phone conversations with my mom and GF that lasted 3.5 hours total between handset and speaker phone.

All on the same charge.

I'm honestly going to stick with this phone until there are some serious hardware changes in smart phone tech. Like new sensors or something else I can't even imagine.

Z30 Fido
    andy957 and Numero12 like this.
    04-27-14 03:02 AM
125 ... 2345