Looking for a little help here. I am moving someone from a BB10 device (Q10 or Z10) to a Z30. Few issues,

1. If I do a back up of the current BB10 device then try to restore it to the Z30 I get an error that the back up is from a newer OS. I have got around this issue using a tool that changes the OS version stored in the backup. Not really what I want to do but it works. I am sure once the Z30 gets a bump to a newer OS this wont be an issue anymore but it currently seems to be. Curious what others have done to work around this issue?

2. I though that maybe I can get around the issue above by doing a device switch using BB Link, but for some reason it keeps asking me to connect my old device. Link wont accept my BB10 as the old device. Is this switch option only for switching older devices to BB10 or can it be used for switching between BB10 device?

Thanks all for any replies in advanced!
    11-06-13 01:12 PM
    Loading a leak would be the only other way I can think of to get around the problem. Usually the leak will be higher than the official. Like you said hopefully the Z30 gets an update to bring it up to the same or better version
    11-06-13 07:47 PM
    I did know that I could do this but at 2-3 hours per device to upgrade to a leaked OS, it's just not possible in a business.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 08:14 PM
    How did you change the OS version in the backup? I am having the same issue and this would be amazing!
    11-07-13 06:04 AM
    I used a tool from this post http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...-tools-824364/ It will allow you to do a lot more then change the backup OS version but it has that feature built in. I had to see what the OS version of the Z30 was and just made it the same, I got this info from the Settings > About > OS Version from the Z30. Once I did that I had no issues restoring the backup of the Z10 to the Z30.
    ezapper2 likes this.
    11-07-13 07:35 AM
    You don't need the Darcy tools to do this.

Step 1 - Find the backup you did of your Z10 device. It should be in "My Documents\Blackberry\Backup\filenameanddate.bbb"
    Step 2 - Make a copy of it so in case you mess it up you can revert back to the copy.
    Step 3 - Change the file extension of the backup from .bbb to .zip
    Step 4 - Open the zip archive (I would suggest using 7-zip but do not extract the files, you need to work within the zip file.
    Step 5 - Edit the "Manifest.xml" file using a text editor.
    • Look for the following line: "<Platform type="QNX" version="10.2.0.xxxx"/> where xxx equals your Z10 OS Version.
    • Change the xxxx to the same OS Version as your Z30
    • Save the file, which will prompt you to re-compile the entire zip archive

Step 6 - Rename the file from .zip back to .bbb
    Step 7 - Try your restore over again by selecting that file to restore to your Z30

I make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability of these statements. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
    11-07-13 01:28 PM
    Thanks. I used the suggestion to change the backup file and it was trivial. Took less than 3 minutes of my time. I am now on the z30.

Why BlackBerry has not addressed this is beyond me. This is such an easy fix that would have saved me hours of pain. For those with rude suggestions, you are not helping people stay with BlackBerry. For those who suggested complicated solutions, you cannot expect others to do these type of solutions. For those who were civilized and helped, you have my gratitude.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 01:32 PM
    That's awesome. I just ran into issues using this tool and throwing errors so this was just in time. I will try to manually change it. Thanks for the advice!!
    11-07-13 01:33 PM
    For those with rude suggestions, you are not helping people stay with BlackBerry.
    No one was rude, all is good and i am sure once the Z30 gets an update this issue will be gone!!
    11-07-13 01:40 PM
    No one was rude, all is good and i am sure once the Z30 gets an update this issue will be gone!!
    From what I understand this is by design as you would not want to restore data that is incompatible. It just so happens there are slight variations in version numbers right now that it's ok as long as you are on the 10.2 platform. I do not know what would happen if someone with 10.1 was to try it.
    shell_gwn likes this.
    11-07-13 01:48 PM
    I 100% know its by design, just have to work around it for now
    11-07-13 01:51 PM
    I'm almost there but need help - after changing the manifest file and updating the zip file, I am unable to change the file back to a .bbb file. It still thinks the file is a winzip or 7zip despite me renaming the file to a .bbb How can I change it to a .bbb so that Link recognizes it? Thanks
    11-08-13 08:59 PM

Step 1 - Find the backup you did of your Z10 device. It should be in "My Documents\Blackberry\Backup\filenameanddate.bbb"
    Step 2 - Make a copy of it so in case you mess it up you can revert back to the copy.
    Step 4 - Open the zip archive (I would suggest using 7-zip but do not extract the files, you need to work within the zip file.
    • Look for the following line: "<Platform type="QNX" version="10.2.0.xxxx"/> where xxx equals your Z10 OS Version.

Step 7 - Try your restore over again by selecting that file to restore to your Z30

I make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability or suitability of these statements. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

This is great. So far so good.
    GurudevBBZ10 likes this.
    11-08-13 11:37 PM
    I'm almost there but need help - after changing the manifest file and updating the zip file, I am unable to change the file back to a .bbb file. It still thinks the file is a winzip or 7zip despite me renaming the file to a .bbb How can I change it to a .bbb so that Link recognizes it? Thanks
    Here is the info on how to change extensions on windows. How to Change a File Extension in Windows
    shell_gwn likes this.
    11-08-13 11:38 PM
    Why not just use the switch phone option on BB link?

That us what I did when I switched between phone this past Tuesday.

Posted Via CB10 running on OS 10.2.1.641/725
    11-08-13 11:58 PM
    This all worked. Thank you Cooleddie and Btothemalm - saved me hours!
    11-09-13 02:12 AM
    @Akure4life - Well if you read my original post I seem to be having issues with getting Link to do a device switch. If I plug in my old BB10 device and in Link during the initiation phase click the switch device button. I can never get Link past the point of asking for the old device. It will never recognize that the BB10 is the old device. I have how ever found a workaround to do a device switch.

1. Open Link with no device plugged in
    2. Click the "Switch Device" from first screen
    3. This will the let me use my old device
    4. One finished and it ask for the new device I need to go to the backup folder for bbb files and change the file to. Zip and edit the XML so I can put it on the Z30
    5. Save the file back to .bbb
    6. Plug in my Z30 and chose it as my new device in Link (Note this will still return an error that the OS of the backup is newer then the device you are transferring to)
    7. Don't hit retry but skip, for some reason this just starts the restore process

Not exactly intuitive for sure but it works and I have done it twice now with success. I hope this helps someone else with this issue. I see that yesterday a new OS for all devices came out, it was a leak and then one carrier released it for the Z30. Which means that once the Z30 and all the other devices get this OS update this problem will be gone. But until then hope my post above helps anyone.

I did learn something new though, that .bbb files are actually .zip files.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 07:19 AM
    Hello, I like the 'Easy Button" so here is what I did-

Found out which OS is common to both Z10 & Z30 (as of today it is 10.2.0.1803)
    Loaded Z10 w/ common OS
    backed up Z10
    loaded common OS onto Z30
    restored Z30 with Z10 backup
    Voila'
    11-10-13 09:02 PM
    I was running the 10.1 leak version on my z10. Upgraded to the Z30 using the link.

Connect the z10 to the link, backup the phone. then use the setup new phone option
    transfer all data over to z30, install SIM card and SD card.
    total transfer time took about 45 minutes b/w the 2 devices.

(USE THE USB CABLE THAT COMES WITH THE Z30) . For some reason, I have noticed that every time my Blackberry link acts us is when I use a non blackberry USB cable. ... device not found, device not recognized.. driver failed to load...

got the STL100-5 running on AT&T. getting 4G, Not LTE . Speed is very fast. I don't really see a difference in speed over my Z10 that was running LTE.
    11-11-13 05:34 AM
    I was running the 10.1 leak version on my z10. Upgraded to the Z30 using the link.

Connect the z10 to the link, backup the phone. then use the setup new phone option
    transfer all data over to z30, install SIM card and SD card.
    total transfer time took about 45 minutes b/w the 2 devices.

(USE THE USB CABLE THAT COMES WITH THE Z30) . For some reason, I have noticed that every time my Blackberry link acts us is when I use a non blackberry USB cable. ... device not found, device not recognized.. driver failed to load...

got the STL100-5 running on AT&T. getting 4G, Not LTE . Speed is very fast. I don't really see a difference in speed over my Z10 that was running LTE.
    WOW nismorg - that was quick!
    My method took about 2 hrs from start to finish but I just didn't have the b@lls and didn't want to brick anything or have LINK not perform.
    11-11-13 08:45 AM
    phenominal! thank you!!! finally getting my data restored! 3%...

p.s it helps if you use winrar and not the windows 8 built-in extractor
    11-13-13 10:29 PM
    Great, I'm going to try this tomorrow !
    11-13-13 10:35 PM

working!!!!! FAST AND EASY...Thanks for this.
    11-13-13 11:21 PM
    What was astonishing was that the transfer from my Z10 to Z30 via BB Link was able to...

Keep all my emails configured and saved
    Keep my browser history, my previous google searches intact.
    My typing pattern intact
    save my game history (over 3 hours of play time on asphalt 7, an hour of Minion Rush)

This definitely tells me BlackBerry spent some time in building and testing out the transfer process and not have 5 different teams work on a patch process that worked here and there.. The experience of transferring from Z10 to Z30 was pretty much plug and play using Blackberry Link in comparison to the transition experience I had going from Torch 9810 to Z10.
    11-14-13 12:39 AM
    Thanks Happy to migrate to Z30 from Z10.. can you believe I could not find a single one in Bangalore, Univercell Bgudi got one for me from Chenna, 2mth old z10 went for 14K..

12-14-13 08:40 AM