If anyone purchased a Miracast HDMI dongle/adapter for their TV, I'd love to hear your recommendations and suggestions. I'd love to be able to take advantage of the Miracast compatibility on my shiny new Z30, but I don't have a Miracast-compatible TV.

Thanks all!
    01-22-14 11:26 AM
    I was about to make a purchase from eBay of a $25 dongle until I saw some reviews of it on YouTube. Some don't work well at all so I'd also like to hear people's recommendations. I searched BestBuy's website and couldn't find any dongles for sale.
    01-22-14 11:38 AM
    I have the netgear miracast adapter. It works good on my sisters Sony TV, but doesn't work at all on my LG TV, which is only a year old. Kind if frustrating. One thing that I don't like is the movies I have purchased through bbw will not play across miracast. Hdmi cable they play great.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 11:42 AM
    Most of the smart tv's has it built in and only work with android and ios product. Its all mostly through Google (being its google tv.).
    01-22-14 11:46 AM
    Sony IM 10

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 12:07 PM
    Most of the smart tv's has it built in and only work with android and ios product. Its all mostly through Google (being its google tv.).
    My TV isn't one of the newer "smart" TV's, so it doesn't have it built-in.

I've been considering this one, but the reviews are pretty scathing. Amazon.com: Tronsmart T1000 Mirror2TV Wireless Display HDMI Dongle Support Miracast DLNA EZCAST AirPlay Compatible with Android OS / Apple iOS / Samsung AllShare Cast S3 S4 Note2 Note3 Note10.1 / Google Nexus4 Nexus5 Nexus7 / Amazon Kindle Fire HDX /
    01-22-14 12:22 PM
    NETGEAR

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 12:26 PM
    NETGEAR

Posted via CB10
    Could you be a little more specific? The Netgear NeoTV? Thanks!
    01-22-14 12:28 PM
    Push2TV

Posted via CB10
    Itstakenovermylife likes this.
    01-22-14 12:32 PM
    Push2TV

Posted via CB10
    Thanks!
    01-22-14 12:33 PM
    I have the netgear miracast adapter. It works good on my sisters Sony TV, but doesn't work at all on my LG TV, which is only a year old. Kind of frustrating. One thing that I don't like is the movies I have purchased through bbw will not play across miracast. Hdmi cable they play great.
    I guess that proves what I've found with other devices. Sony generally makes a high quality, robust device (your sister's tv) while LG generally makes lower quality, less robust devices (like your tv). If the tv is the only difference between the 2 situations... just sayin'.

From reading all the comments about flaky Miracast performance, I'm no longer as upset that my Z10 doesn't have that feature.

Go hdmi cable, go!!! Dorky looking, yes... jittery and problem plagued, NOPE!

And FYI: basic DLNA is working real good from my Z10 to my WDTV, my Panasonic BD player and my Samsung BD player. Yay! for industry standards!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 01:21 PM
    I guess that proves what I've found with other devices. Sony generally makes a high quality, robust device (your sister's tv) while LG generally makes lower quality, less robust devices (like your tv). If the tv is the only difference between the 2 situations... just sayin'.

From reading all the comments about flaky Miracast performance, I'm no longer as upset that my Z10 doesn't have that feature.

Go hdmi cable, go!!! Dorky looking, yes... jittery and problem plagued, NOPE!

And FYI: basic DLNA is working real good from my Z10 to my WDTV, my Panasonic BD player and my Samsung BD player. Yay! for industry standards!!!

Posted via CB10
    Your points are good.... At the end of the day, a good old fashioned HDMI cable may just be the way to go. And the DLNA option to my BluRay player didn't even occur to me. I should give that a shot, too.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-22-14 01:45 PM
    I am using the Actiontec ScreenBeam Pro. I use it for streaming my ultrabook's display onto my TV. It works very well for the most part. I do experience the occasional "noise" issue but that only lasts a second or two.

http://www.amazon.ca/Actiontec-Scree...bUvbUpU9887224
    01-22-14 01:57 PM
    I'm running a Q10, and I've never played with Miracast before however I was thinking about purchasing a Z30 a month ago and along with that came my thoughts of Miracast.
    I've come across this unit a few times lately and the reviews for it have been well great: Belkin Miracast Video Adapter review | Android Central
    Take a look and good luck!
    01-22-14 02:02 PM
    Will do, thanks!
    01-22-14 03:26 PM
    Just just received the Ezcast dongle which I ordered from amazon. Managed to get working with my PC but not with the Z30 yet. Actually installed the Ezcast android app but cannot seem to get it connected. Only tried for about 10 minutes before I had to go out. Will continue to try and get it working over the weekend. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 03:38 PM
    Just just received the Ezcast dongle which I ordered from amazon. Managed to get working with my PC but not with the Z30 yet. Actually installed the Ezcast android app but cannot seem to get it connected. Only tried for about 10 minutes before I had to go out. Will continue to try and get it working over the weekend. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    Ezcast does have its own protocol, I highly suggest to use WiDi or Mirracast as it should work with a lot of different devices (Apple and Samsung are bad in using standard protocols...)

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-22-14 04:20 PM
    The EZcast dongle apparently supports mirracast but I cannot get it to connect.

Ezcast does have its own protocol, I highly suggest to use WiDi or Mirracast as it should work with a lot of different devices (Apple and Samsung are bad in using standard protocols...)

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-23-14 12:47 AM
    The good thing about trying out a couple of these adapters off of Amazon (as opposed to eBay) is they have a great return policy. So no harm no foul if one or two of these turn out to be crap.
    01-23-14 06:36 AM
    So this thread has become relevant to me, as i've just found out that the Q is miracast capable.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 01:49 PM
    So this thread has become relevant to me, as i've just found out that the Q is miracast capable.

Posted via CB10
    Well I'm glad I started it then!

Posted via CB10
    bbmtna likes this.
    01-23-14 07:40 PM
    I have a Miracast dongle. It's a Tronsmart T1000.
    You can see it at Amazon.com here -
    Amazon.com: Tronsmart T1000 Mirror2TV Wireless Display HDMI Dongle Support Miracast DLNA EZCAST AirPlay Compatible with Android OS / Apple iOS / Samsung AllShare Cast S3 S4 Note2 Note3 Note10.1 / Google Nexus4 Nexus5 Nexus7 / Amazon Kindle Fire HDX /
    I can connect to it with my Z30, but I don't know how to get my Z30 display to work with it. Maybe they just don't work together?
    When I look at the Z30 WiFi connection to it, I select the Miracast tab of the connection, and select Share Screen, but it just says no HDMI connected. Any advice?
    01-25-14 03:49 PM
    If anyone is having issues connecting to their BB10 device, it is imperative that you update the firmware on your miracast dongle to the most recent update. A lot of the dongles ship with older firmware that doesn't support the protocols that BB10 uses. This happened to me. And once I updated to the most recent firmware it works beautifully with every single device in my house that has miracast or widi. Please let it be known that if you are using a dongle, the type of TV has absolutely NO impact on whether you see the miracast feed or not.

Overall Miracast is quite amazing, granted there is a half second delay between an action you do on your phone and what shows up on the scree, but for video, photos, web browsing, presentations or even streaming music it works extremely well.
    01-26-14 08:44 AM
    You need to be careful with Miracast dongles because they need to be powered by the HDMI port and not every TV has a powered port.

Assuming your dongle works and you've set your TV input to the Miracast device, you just go to settings, Display, Share Screen. It should show the Miracast device below the HDMI connection. Select that and wait until the phone screen shows up on the TV.

Posted via CB10
    If you look at my link, you will see that it is powered by a USB adapter.
    It is powered up, and the device screen shows on my TV when I select that HDMI input.
    My Z30 finds it as a WiFi hotspot, and can connect to it as a WiFi hotspot using the SSID and password shown on the device screen on my TV. However, my Z30 does not see it as a Miracast device - only as a WiFi device.
    My Laptop can connect to it, and through their supplied software, can switch it into Miracast mode and mirror my laptop display, so I KNOW the device is powered and operational.
    My best guess so far is that it is not following strict Miracast guidelines and can only be used through its own proprietary software.

Edit: After selecting in particular the one-star reviews of this product at Amazon, a common complaint seem to be that it requires you to download special software. I'll look into returning this product.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 01-26-14 at 10:13 AM.
    01-26-14 09:53 AM
    I also bought a dongle that has mirracast, Dnla and you have to use the Ezcast software to connect to it. Works from my pc, my friends android but not when I try with the z30 running the Ezcast app for android. I also have an android pc stick wich has mirracast on it, they see each other for a second but then disconnect. ....

Z30, a bit in the heavy side but the Carbonate beta case rocks!
    01-26-14 10:31 AM
68 123