...well kind of!

I currently own a Z10, got it at launch, and love it, but am intrigued by the Z30's battery life and larger touch targets of its keyboard. There's nothing wrong with my Z10, so I looked up Kevin O'Leary's cold hard truth questions on making a big purchase from his latest book "Cold Hard Truth about Money..." and here's what I came up with.

Cold hard truth questions, unless one can answer true to all these questions, it's best to hold off.
    1. I have given this purchase sufficient thought.
    2. Buying this item will not create debt for me or anyone else.
    3. I not only want this item, I need it.
    4. This item is more valuable than the interest I'd earn if I saved the money instead.
    5. This item will matter to me in a year.

Responses:
    1. False. Just thought to do it today.
    2. True.
    3. False. Z10 does the job. I carry a spare battery if I know I'll be away from a charger during the day.
    4. False.
    5. False. The rumoured Z50 will be worth waiting for since it seems like it will be out in less than a year.

And yes before anyone says, I am essentially trying to talk myself out of getting a Z30, holding out for the Z50.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    HotFix and andy957 like this.
    12-02-13 12:12 PM
    Interesting and in my opinion very sound metrics for making a purchase decision. The only thing I would question is does a smartphone qualify as a "big" purchase. For some it will be but you probably should also ask yourself if that is true for you.
    12-02-13 12:39 PM
    The Z30 is, for me, much more comfortable to use. That makes me more productive and I feel less stressed using it. What is the monetary and heath value of that?
    lovedaazn likes this.
    12-02-13 01:02 PM
    Reference #2, your car breaks down you need to fix it but #2 says it'll create debt what do you do?
    Fix it right.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 01:21 PM
    The only thing I would question is does a smartphone qualify as a "big" purchase. For some it will be but you probably should also ask yourself if that is true for you.
    this
    12-02-13 01:23 PM
    I'd just wait. You will be glad you did when the next phone is released

Posted via my Z30
    devin266 and stanlai like this.
    12-02-13 01:53 PM
    ...well kind of!

I currently own a Z10, got it at launch, and love it, but am intrigued by the Z30's battery life and larger touch targets of its keyboard. There's nothing wrong with my Z10, so I looked up Kevin O'Leary's cold hard truth questions on making a big purchase from his latest book "Cold Hard Truth about Money..." and here's what I came up with.

Cold hard truth questions, unless one can answer true to all these questions, it's best to hold off.
    4. This item is more valuable than the interest I'd earn if I saved the money instead.

Responses:
    2. True.
    3. False. Z10 does the job. I carry a spare battery if I know I'll be away from a charger during the day.
    4. False.
    5. False. The rumoured Z50 will be worth waiting for since it seems like it will be out in less than a year.

And yes before anyone says, I am essentially trying to talk myself out of getting a Z30, holding out for the Z50.

Using the reasoning of theory #5.. you will never own a new piece of electronics.

By the time the 'Z50' comes out (so far only a CrackBerry forum post created rumor as far as I know) you will have to wait for the 'Z70' which will be the next phone... did I just successfully start a 'Z70' rumor??!!??

I had a co-worker do this for 5 years with a Mac notebook.. always asking me if he should buy the new one... and I'd say 'yes', then he would hear a rumor about a new one and wait...

Finally I just said buy a danged computer and leave me alone...

Carpe diem!

My Z30 is en route and I will enjoy using it more than my RED Z10 .... and eventually I am sure I will enjoy the Z50' and then the 'Z70'
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-02-13 02:01 PM
    Lol its just a phone purchase not taking on a mortgage.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    ital1 likes this.
    12-02-13 02:07 PM
    That's why I never got married.

LOL

Kidding

Posted via CB10
    GeoB301, Doolittle2 and andy957 like this.
    12-02-13 02:47 PM
    All fair comments everyone!

12-02-13 03:21 PM
    I figure #4 will always be false since everything depreciates over time an blackberry more then others.
    My device is 100 dollars if not free on a two year and a year hasn't even past where as apple products roughly depreciate $100 dollars per year.
    I paied 400 at launch so how much is my device worth now?
    12-02-13 03:58 PM
    This can't really be applied to smartphones, especially #5. In most cases the device is almost always obsolete in a year time, because you start hearing rumours about the next one 2-3 months after your current has been released.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 04:11 PM
    I figure #4 will always be false since everything depreciates over time an blackberry more then others.
    My device is 100 dollars if not free on a two year and a year hasn't even past where as apple products roughly depreciate $100 dollars per year.
    I paied 400 at launch so how much is my device worth now?
    Actually.. as the interest on $100 is so miniscule..... the phone would have to depreciate for a long time to be worth less than the interest.
    12-02-13 04:39 PM
    The Z50 will be too big IMHO. Having graduated from a Z10 to a Z30 I can't imagine using a Z10 again now that I have this. I am travelling Asia Pacific for several months and am finding this the right option. If you are happy with z10 stick with it but honestly for the $160 upgrade I am thinking the z30 the best financial investment

Posted via My Z30 on CB Forums
    12-02-13 04:39 PM
    I agree. I don't think I need to bring my playbook with the z30.

Posted via CB10
    jfguay2 and Doolittle2 like this.
    12-02-13 04:54 PM
    Some decisions aren't rational. So I bought a Z30 and now I am upset that I can't find a decent holster for it. Such as my incipio for my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 05:27 PM
    Some decisions aren't rational. So I bought a Z30 and now I am upset that I can't find a decent holster for it. Such as my incipio for my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Can't you buy the BlackBerry leather one? That is the one I got for my Z30 and it's fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 05:33 PM
    And I just ordered a z30 this morning. Wish I read this before.

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    12-02-13 06:09 PM
    Can't you buy the BlackBerry leather one? That is the one I got for my Z30 and it's fine.

Posted via CB10
    I have it but it doesn't protect the z30 when it is out of the holster.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 07:07 PM
    I walked into the bookstore, and picked up O'Learys book, contemplating whether I should purchase it or not.

So, I followed his suggestions�.

���I couldn't answer true to all these questions so I put the book down and walked away.
    Doolittle2, acovey, yvpan1 and 1 others like this.
    12-02-13 07:36 PM
    I walked into the bookstore, and picked up O'Learys book, contemplating whether I should purchase it or not.

So, I followed his suggestions�.

���I couldn't answer true to all these questions so I put the book down and walked away.
    Exactly. Thanks Kev!

Z30 FTW - Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 07:50 PM
    Kevin O'Leary has a Z10/Q10 and 5S, just saying.

CB10 - Z10(Z30 inbound) -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    Doolittle2 likes this.
    12-02-13 08:01 PM
    I think Kevin O'Leary was the winner, he got money for the book, the OP got nothing but doubt in his own decission process. So sad.
    bungaboy and Doolittle2 like this.
    12-02-13 08:43 PM
    ...well kind of!

Responses:
    2. True.
    4. False.

I had a Z10 and moved to a Z30; 1-5 were true for me. Unless I invest the money at equity rates of return. Number 4 is nebulous at best but relevant, however : it's a phone. With my company plan...it's not a big purchase at all and some mobile phone deals are the same at say... around $150 or less. I think you made a mistake... it's a great phone. Hope you get the Z50.
    12-02-13 09:40 PM
    Hi, OP here. Well my Z10 has just decided that it doesn't like to do rotation lock. Landscape mode doesn't work anymore for some reason. Maybe an upgrade to the Z30 might become a need now. Hmm.

12-02-13 09:57 PM
26 12