I just got my first z30 yesterday, sadly I will have to send it back. I is so ludicrously big and the tactile experience is horrific. I can�t even use it two hands and despite the unbelievable keyboard it takes me twice as long to type as my iPhone since I can't swipe the keys effectively and the phone is so slippery. I'm really disappointed since I hate my iPhone. Also small things like the pass code lock, I basically got this phone since I loathe typing in a numeric code and wanted to use the pictures instead but despite choosing the photo code twice and turning on that feature t still prompts me to input the numbers and has never once asked for the pictures I chose.
    Because the keyboard is so excellent and I could see it beings a lot faster if I could hold on to the phone I am wondering if there is any way to get it on an Android device like the Moto-X? I don't understand how they could manufacture a phone that is so impossible to hold on t!
    Additionally when you want to go back into previously written text it doesn't magnify the text size so you can see what you�re doing.
    I would try the z10 but by all accounts it needs to be charged during the day and that is impossible for me.
    Any advice on the keyboard thing would be great.
    05-03-14 12:21 PM
    I found one handed use to be a bit of a stretch on a phone this big, but two handed use is no problem. I've seen people like four feet tall happily typing away on a Note 3, so I doubt it's a phone issue. Try using it for a few days and you'll get used to it.

On the picture password issue, must be a settings issue. Make sure all the right boxes are checked or unchecked and you'll be good to go.

Posted with my Q10
    05-03-14 12:27 PM
    I can't fathom how people of any size can hang on to this thing it's so slippery and the buttons interfere with the grip. It doesn't even fit in my pocket, I am so sad, it seems like there are no phones out there. Any advice on side loading the keyboard would be appreciated.
    05-03-14 12:34 PM
    Thanks for the post. I moved from the z10 (about the size of an iphone) to the z30 and haven't looked back. The z10 has a form factor closer to the iPhone if that's your main hurdle, but the battery on the z30 alone is a game changer.

My recommendation is to give it a few days, before you decide it's too big. I found that once I got used to it, I have no desire to ever go back. Question, did you add to the bulk with a big case or using it "naked?" I use silicon to offer some perfection with minimum impact to size. The right case may help with the slick or maybe you could put grip on the back (???).

I can't speak to the picture passcode, since my corporate policy disabled it, but I would think there is something in the setting you are missing. I'll defer to others to confirm.

it's not clear to me what text you want to magnify. However, the z30 does have font size options as well as a magnify mode for people who have challenges with sight. May want to check them out.

I don't like everything about the phone, but use dozens of the other features (e.g., 64 GB micro sd, cloud integration, remote pc access, usb hub, radio, etc.) that I rely on and overall I'm very satisfied with the device.

Please let us know what other challenges you have and this group, I'm sure, will try to help. My recommendation is to give it a few days before deciding. Good luck!

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    Bonnie Bonzai and jaydee5799 like this.
    05-03-14 12:34 PM
    I guess I could try it for few days but then I can't return it to Rogers. The phone is naked but i can't find any way to hold it. Why can't anyone other than apple make a premium phone that is a reasonable size?!
    The photo pass still isn't working but maybe my work also disabled it.
    As far as going back to make corrections it makes a blue circle but you can't see precisely what letter you're trying to get.
    Thanks for the advice but I can't see keeping something I can't hold but since I bought it for the keyboard I would really appreciate advice on how to get it in a smaller decide.
    05-03-14 12:53 PM
    So just get the z10 then?

Sent from my Death Note
    croman, jaydee5799 and Jrox74 like this.
    05-03-14 01:04 PM
    Do you have tiny hands? How can any phone be too big for two handed use? A damn 10" tablet can be used with two hands.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Elite1; 05-05-14 at 05:22 AM.
    05-03-14 01:06 PM
    Make it a Z10 then and go for the 4500 mAh battery with a somewhat thicker backcover

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:09 PM
    I can't fathom how people of any size can hang on to this thing it's so slippery and the buttons interfere with the grip. It doesn't even fit in my pocket, I am so sad, it seems like there are no phones out there. Any advice on side loading the keyboard would be appreciated.
    A reasonably inexpensive gel or soft plastic case will solve your problem.
    howards and Donnierock like this.
    05-03-14 01:12 PM
    I guess I could try it for few days but then I can't return it to Rogers. The phone is naked but i can't find any way to hold it. Why can't anyone other than apple make a premium phone that is a reasonable size?!
    The photo pass still isn't working but maybe my work also disabled it.
    As far as going back to make corrections it makes a blue circle but you can't see precisely what letter you're trying to get.
    Thanks for the advice but I can't see keeping something I can't hold but since I bought it for the keyboard I would really appreciate advice on how to get it in a smaller decide.
    I didn't realize they only give you a day or two to decide. That stinks.

Can you turn off device password and simple password options? Mine are grayed out b/c of policy, but with trying a few combinations.

For corrections, in the center of the circle, there is a flashing vertical blue line showing where the cursor is... do you see it?

Maybe there is a case rogers will let you try. I find it more comfortable.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    05-03-14 01:13 PM
    The Z30 is BlackBerry's premium device. If you can't hold it with 2 hands, you can always try and mount it to your face combined with voice commands instead of the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:18 PM
    I didn�t expect such vitriol here, whether or not everyone else on the planet can use it, I can not. I'm a girl, not a dwarf. Clearly I'm not enough of a jerk to rock this phone. I asked for advice on where I could get the excellent keyboard. I will not carry another battery so the z10 is a no go for me. I really am disappointed, the features could be really excellent on this device.
    Oh, and it also couldn't read several attachments I got this morning.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-03-14 01:18 PM
    Something is fishy. Rogers does not sell the z30 in stores. Online only. You say the "guy didn't wanna sell it to me" Hmmmmm. Plus you have 14 days to return your phone if you are not happy. You have 13 left.

Edit. And you said "in store" hmmmm

Via CB10 Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2947
    Carjackd and Donnierock like this.
    05-03-14 01:22 PM
    The z10 you should be able to get its a great phone and now very reasonably priced. The battery charging issue i would just go with the battery charger bundle it gives you a second batttery that you can swap out easily and a charger as well. I was disappointed with the phone at the beginning but the software upgrades have made a huge difference in performance and there are more upgrades to come. The z30 is a nice phone but not for everyone. You really have to want to carry it around and dont mind it being to bit. Its far from being a huge phone though as all the other companies are making phones even bigger then that. I have relatives that have iphones and although i find it okay its not great for business and its a little to small. if you have smaller hands the z10 would be perfect as the screen is slightly bigger then the iphone but it still has great functionality. The keyboard is awesome and it beats any android keyboard bar none. i have used the android keyboards and hate them all. It takes me twice as long to type messages. Well sorry the z30 didnt work for you but you have some options dont give up on blackberry there are some excellent choices here. The flipshell case works well by the way.
    05-03-14 01:25 PM
    The 4500 mAh battery replaces the original one on the Z10, so nothing extra to carry. The price you pay though is a replacement backcover which is somewhat thicker than the original one

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:26 PM
    Oh and NO. You can't get the z30 keyboard on any other device. That's the point.

Carjackd and anon(5061193) like this.
    05-03-14 01:29 PM
    Big phones are the norm today. If you hate your iPhone and BlackBerry's are no option then you may like to check out the Sony Z1 Compact. It is the only compact out in the droid world with the same power as it's bigger sibling

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:30 PM
    *Bought BlackBerry's biggest phone.

Then complained about the size and went to Android.

Yup. That just happened.

Posted via CB from my LE
    05-03-14 01:37 PM
    B121, thanks for the kind advice, Rogers only gives half hour of time as far as I know. They y didn't have a z30 in the store I could hold without a security tag on it, I didn�t realise how much easier that made it to hold. I�m reluctant to spend money on a case for something that might not work for me.
    I see the blinking cursor but it's hard to move it precisely between letter. Thanks again for not insulting me for having small hands
    05-03-14 01:38 PM
    You're kidding right? Tap the circle left or right to change position. Tap outside the circle to go to end or beginning of the word.

05-03-14 01:42 PM
    The Z10 has approximately the same battery life as an iPhone.

If you can make your iPhone last all day, then the Z10 will be fine.

Most people here suggest the Z30 because of the upgrades to the Z10. And because most people can't live with the poor battery life of the iPhone.

However, if you're used to the iPhone, the Z10 will be fine.

The suggestion is that if it IS bad on battery, a second battery is worth it, and you can swap it, because the back is removable. But you should be fine.

I understand the Z30 is a big phone, but I know literally little girls who have the note, so that's a moot point.

Posted via Z69
    wacoal likes this.
    05-03-14 01:44 PM
    Big phones are the norm today. If you hate your iPhone and BlackBerry's are no option then you may like to check out the Sony Z1 Compact. It is the only compact out in the droid world with the same power as it's bigger sibling

Posted via CB10
    Thanks I researched the Sony phone but I can't get it here.
    I really don't understand why people are so demeaning on this forum, it's clear that most of you sadly personify the blackberry stereotype. Like I said I wasn't able to try the phone I had to wait for roger to mail it to me. So I went through a lot of hassle to get it when I could have just got another iPhone or Android right in the store. I specifically didn't want the z10 because of everything I'd read here. it seems crazy to have to buy a whole new battery just to enjoy the phone... also sadly the z10 is really ugly.
    05-03-14 01:49 PM
    Try getting an Otterbox commuter case for your Z30. It will be much less slippery, and should make it easier to type on. I came from a Q10 to the Z30. I have had it for about 2 weeks now, and am only now beginning to get used to the "feel" of the phone and typing on a virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 01:51 PM
    I am a girl and I have small hands, I have the Z30 and the Z10. The 30 is a bit of a stretch to use one handed but I almost always type two handed. You may prefer the Z10 battery isn't great but it really does depend on your usage. I never got the spare battery for mine. Also, as far as I know, the vkb for bb10 isn't available on non-bb phones.
    MiSsY_, Elite1 and wacoal like this.
    05-03-14 01:56 PM
    How is the z30 slippery? this post is really confusing. Too big? Its .8 inch bigger screen. Why didn't you try it before you bought it?
    05-03-14 01:57 PM
93 123 ...