Was unable to do a hard reset btw which requires the use of the power button.
    Hard reset is pressing both volume buttons for about 10 seconds. Power button is not needed.

I just setup a new Z30 for a client this week. VZW isn't pushing 10.3.1 yet, so I used an autoloader. It worked great, but at one point, wouldn't quite complete startup. I turned it off with the power button and after that it started up fine.
    04-23-15 11:15 PM
    Press both volume buttons and hold until the bb logo shows and release them. Plug in charger and leave it overnight
    04-23-15 11:52 PM
    Will be difficult to do with a z30?
    Non removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    haha forgot about that ;p

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-24-15 12:10 AM
    I gave a z30 to a friend because my Dad didn't want it. It worked perfectly for me for a few weeks I had it prior to giving it to my friend. Yet, when I gave it to him and I was helping him get set up the Damn thing started power cycling.

It only started doing that when I replaced the cover after inserting his sim card. If I removed the cover, it would stop. What's weird is that the power button didn't appear to be pressed,.. but I used a small Leatherman to shave off a trace off the back cover around where the power button fits, and sure enough,.. it stopped rebooting.

So,.. while this may not be the case for the OP, it may be for some folks experiencing a similar issue. So, before you return the device, at least try ruling it out by taking off the cover and seeing if it still reboots!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 12:37 AM
    Non removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    Hehe true, my question is how can you "charge" a device without battery in? I sure failed in studying this course.

04-24-15 07:54 AM
    Digital River..........has a reputation........for not being........the best........
    04-24-15 08:57 AM
    I once had a situation where I plugged mine into a PC to charge, and the PC didn't know what to do with it, so it sat there with it's red light pulsing on and off, but not actually charging. I couldn't understand what was going on. So I unplugged it from the PC and plugged it into the wall socket charger. After 2h it was charged and after a little fiddling I was able to start it again. That was when I figured out what had happened :-)
    04-24-15 10:33 AM
    Hehe true, my question is how can you "charge" a device without battery in? I sure failed in studying this course.

didn't mean like charging but still connected.

because that way you can give your device a boost startup and with that you can reinstall your software

04-24-15 12:01 PM
    Would a new Z30 arrive with the latest OS (i.e. some release of 10.3)? I remember to have read on these forums that all Z30s were manufactured in one batch. If that is indeed the case, unless somebody goes around updating software on phones to be shipped to customers (which would be rather costly given the meagre upside), I would expect it to have had 10.2 on it and not 10.3.1 as the OP found.

Could it be that this is another phone that has been returned to BB previously? Perhaps it was a dodgy phone that was returned with good reason.
    The device shipped with 10.2.1 if I remember correctly and was in a sealed box that did not specify that it was refurbished. I am confident that it was not. It was during my effort to determine the cause of the problem that Link was able at some point to connect to the device long enough to recognize it and download the 10.3.1 update. When the power button issue was corrected and the device restarted the update was automatically applied.
    04-24-15 12:04 PM
    I will be honest that I'm in a rush and haven't read all replies, but if it may have been just a stuck power button and everything is working fine now I'd likely keep it. You have 30 days to return to shopblackberry so if it does need to be returned it can (really don't think it does but may be wrong).

You went through the official setup and updated and all is working. The one thing that I would recommend is to definitely use BBVE and this will test basically everything. If all tests are passed and you are not having any issues, I think it may have just been either a dead battery or stuck cycling from the power button. You can always use it for a few weeks before deciding to return.

I received my Z30 today and as I was using the driver to add some music I noticed the misc file in the file manager was last used in November. I'm not sure when production of the Z30 stopped, but as you know this is a premium phone for entry level pricing at this point. It was built to sell at a much higher price than the Leap. Anyway, I'd wait and go through some charge cycles if BBVE is perfect as was on my "new" Z30. Then, if you decide it's fine and really no reason to return or go through the hassle of shipping back and waiting you'll already be set.

The first thing I did with my Z30 was use BBVE and all is perfect... then spent about 6 hours setting everything up perfect. Encryption, icons alphabetical, etc. A bit OCD, but that's how I roll. Think you may have jumped the gun on the return, but the good thing is that if you really do end up needing to return you're all set. I have a feeling your device is fine. You should def feel the press on the power button seems to have just been stuck causing the cycling. Just my opinion and you can return or give it a week or two then decide.

Worse case, just give shopblackberry a call back and let them know the device is working fine and won't need to be returned. On the other hand, I'm a bit impatient so if it's working I'd def not want to give it up lol. Good luck, hope everything works out for ya!

Posted via CB10
    I agree with what you've stated and may have in fact jumped the gun on the return. However since I am concerned about a dwindling supply of these devices and the possibility that it may be something other than a "sticky" power button I've already ordered another.

As stated in an earlier post I initially hadn't removed the back cover because I have yet to obtain a replacement SIM of the type needed for the phone. But being cognizant now of the "sticky" button issue I am definitely noticing the depression and rising of the button upon a gentle push. I am also noticing that the cycling issues do seem to return when the "entire" button is depressed rather than the back edge (if that makes any sense).

I have also removed and replaced the cover several times. While the working of the button does seem markedly better, I have indeed been able to reproduce the issue a couple of times even without the back cover attached. This seems to suggest that the cover is exacerbating an existing issue with the button.
    Last edited by rapperman; 04-24-15 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarity
    04-24-15 12:36 PM
    Hard reset is pressing both volume buttons for about 10 seconds. Power button is not needed.

I just setup a new Z30 for a client this week. VZW isn't pushing 10.3.1 yet, so I used an autoloader. It worked great, but at one point, wouldn't quite complete startup. I turned it off with the power button and after that it started up fine.
    IMHO the hard reset is easier to do by just pressing the power button down until the first red light blink. Some people (including myself) find pressing BOTH volume buttons at the same time to be more difficult. Personally, I have never understood why everyone says to hold both buttons when you can just use one for the hard reset.
    04-24-15 12:54 PM
    I agree with what you've stated and may have in fact jumped the gun on the return. However since I am concerned about a dwindling supply of these devices and the possibility that it may be something other than a "sticky" power button I've already ordered another.

As stated in an earlier post I initially hadn't removed the back cover because I have yet to obtain a replacement SIM of the type needed for the phone. But being cognizant now of the "sticky" button issue I am definitely noticing the depression and rising of the button upon a gentle push. I am also noticing that the cycling issues do seem to return when the "entire" button is depressed rather than the back edge (if that makes any sense).

I have also removed and replaced the cover several times. While the working of the button does seem markedly better, I have indeed been able to reproduce the issue a couple of times even without the back cover attached. This seems to suggest that the cover is exacerbating an existing issue with the button.
    Gotcha... yeah I had to grab one up in case stock runs out. Last I checked there were literally thousands of Z30s left and a little under 600 Q5s left. So you should be OK there. I'm actually expecting the price to drop down to $199 to clear out for the Leap since there were so many left. Glad you got one though and to be honest you shouldn't have to do anything special.

My Z30 has slightly loose volume keys, but this is well known and does not cause any issues. I thought once the power button was released or pressed a few times to "unstick" it then everything would be good to go. If that's not the case, don't bother modifying anything just get the replacement. I know others will say you can always buy from ebay, etc, but not the same as buying direct new with one year warranty as well as insurance if you wanted it. Good luck with everything!

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 02:01 PM
    It happens. My first Nexus 4 was DOA. Bought direct from the Google Play Store, fresh out of the box it wouldn't power on at all. Charged for a couple hours. Nothing. Tried to turn on while plugged in, nothing.
    04-24-15 02:09 PM
    It happens. My first Nexus 4 was DOA. Bought direct from the Google Play Store, fresh out of the box it wouldn't power on at all. Charged for a couple hours. Nothing. Tried to turn on while plugged in, nothing.
    cool SHIELD logo

jmr1015 likes this.
    04-24-15 02:33 PM
    Charging through your computer wouldn't revive a dead unit. Leave it in the wall, but it sounds defective to me. Call the vendor and they will send you a new one. It happens.
    Charging in a USB 3.0 port is going to charge it about as fast as a 1A wall charger, maybe even faster. That's assuming the battery is dead. If the unit is defective or bricked, then no, it won't.
    04-24-15 03:54 PM
    Non removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    Just arrived... May already be going back!!!-image.jpg

I beg to differ. All batteries are removable. You just have to want it.

Anyway, I hope everything turns out well. It can be frustrating when yiou make a new purchase and it doesn't operate like it should.

Now we are just waiting for some bright spark to recommend installing a leak...

Posted via CB10
    Did you install the latest updates ???
    MrDoreth likes this.
    04-24-15 05:49 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	349341

I beg to differ. All batteries are removable. You just have to want it.

Anyway, I hope everything turns out well. It can be frustrating when yiou make a new purchase and it doesn't operate like it should.

Did you install the latest updates ???
    Yes I have. 10.3.1 was installed after discovering the sticky power button and Link was able to connect to the device and download it. I have experienced the new OS on both the Z10 and the Q10 and I'm amazed at the difference in the feel of the OS on the Z30. Don't know if its the screen size, the difference in processing power or a bit of both but the experience is far more pleasing on the Z30.
    04-24-15 07:01 PM
    My z30 will do this if I don't make sure the power button doesn't get stuck in the down position. The z30's power button is poorly designed and cheap and just pressing it can often result in it getting stuck.
    04-24-15 07:10 PM
    My z30 will do this if I don't make sure the power button doesn't get stuck in the down position. The z30's power button is poorly designed and cheap and just pressing it can often result in it getting stuck.
    It's not just the button itself,.. but also an issue with the cover opening for it. The button wiggles sideways a bit so that adds to the chance of it getting stuck when it's pressed down.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 08:14 AM
    There is an issue with the buttons.
    I had to return mine because the control buttons all felt like they were loose and unresponsive.
    The new unit, which I was able to compare at Telus, was a night and day difference in function.
    So you may want to inspect it carefully and make sure that all the controls feel solid and positive.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    04-25-15 08:35 AM
    When i first got our Blackberry z30s on Business plans i was so excited i was checking the tracking page every 2mins finally they both arrived and i powered mine on only to find the screen just contantly flickering on and off i thought it was the software so i flashed it no good. Hardware fault. you have no idea how mad and upset i was waiting ages for it to come only to then having to send it back worst day in history!!
    04-25-15 09:28 AM
    I fully understand your agony. I would have gone through the disappointment with equal intensity.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 09:42 AM
    I had exactly the same issue with mine, cycling on and off and the button was so stiff I couldn't tell if it was being pushed. Turns out it was caused by the back panel being too close to the power button, so it got wedged when I powered it on for the first time. I fixed it by taking a sharp knife and shaving down the plastic around the power button. The panel looks the same and the button is working fine now.
    vanrickman and darkshin0b11 like this.
    04-29-15 02:05 AM
48 12