Hello everyone.

I ordered a Z30 from Blackberry a few days ago and just received it. Took her out of the box, pressed the power button, saw the red LED come on and then the Blackberry logo.

When they both began to cycle on and off repeatedly I figured the phone's battery was nearly dead and so I plugged it into the charging cable connected to my computer. I figured the current might be too low to meaningfully charge it but I wanted to see if the phone would be recognized by Link.

It was... and then it wasn't. And then it was again. The phone appeared to be attempting to cycle on over and over again so I depressed and held the power button to forcibly shut it down but that was ineffective. I've attempted both a hard and soft reset but the phone is refusing to comply, and doesn't remain on long enough to attempt a fix via Link.

The phone is now plugged into a wall charger and the red LED is cycling on and off at a slow but steady pace. If I remove the phone from the charger it once again goes through the repeated attempts to boot up.

Do you folks think I've received a defective unit? Or is this just a case of the battery needing to charge for a bit?
    04-23-15 01:04 PM
    Charging through your computer wouldn't revive a dead unit. Leave it in the wall, but it sounds defective to me. Call the vendor and they will send you a new one. It happens.
    stevepar likes this.
    04-23-15 01:17 PM
    Hello everyone.

I ordered a Z30 from Blackberry a few days ago and just received it. Took her out of the box, pressed the power button, saw the red LED come on and then the Blackberry logo.

When they both began to cycle on and off repeatedly I figured the phone's battery was nearly dead and so I plugged it into the charging cable connected to my computer. I figured the current might be too low to meaningfully charge it but I wanted to see if the phone would be recognized by Link.

It was... and then it wasn't. And then it was again. The phone appeared to be attempting to cycle on over and over again so I depressed and held the power button to forcibly shut it down but that was ineffective. I've attempted both a hard and soft reset but the phone is refusing to comply, and doesn't remain on long enough to attempt a fix via Link.

The phone is now plugged into a wall charger and the red LED is cycling on and off at a slow but steady pace. If I remove the phone from the charger it once again goes through the repeated attempts to boot up.

Do you folks think I've received a defective unit? Or is this just a case of the battery needing to charge for a bit?
    Try to charge it in the wall charger without battery and start it up.
    04-23-15 01:22 PM
    Will be difficult to do with a z30?
    Non removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 01:30 PM
    The unit was ordered directly from Blackberry, processed by Digital River and shipped by Ingram Micro. I'll give it an hour or two on the charger to see if it things change and then give Blackberry a call.
    04-23-15 01:36 PM
    Wondering if the power button may be an issue. It is just about flush with the casing and I get no sense that it is moving at all when I press it. Is that common with the Z30?
    04-23-15 01:42 PM
    Sounds like a defective unit to me.

 Z30 STA100-5/10.3.1.1865
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-15 01:42 PM
    Does not compute.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 02:18 PM
    Now we are just waiting for some bright spark to recommend installing a leak...

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 02:23 PM
    Wondering if the power button may be an issue. It is just about flush with the casing and I get no sense that it is moving at all when I press it. Is that common with the Z30?
    It should be raised a tiny bit above the metal band. You should definitely feel the button being pressed in.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 02:32 PM
    Ok just got off the phone with Blackberry.

They are going to email me a return label and will refund my purchase one they receive the phone. After I spoke with them I checked on the Z30 and noticed there was no change in it's condition. But being pig-headed about things I reconnected it to my computer and opened Blackberry Link. I must have connected it at just the right moment because my computer indicated that a device had been connected to it and the green LED appeared on the phone. Link also indicated it had connected with the phone.

It was quite brief however as the phone just as quickly disconnected and began cycling through it's apparent boot process. The power button once again was calling to me and I decided to gently tap the back of the top of the phone against my hand. And lo and behold the phone reconnected, allowing me to go through the setup process, connect to Link and identify the OS update to 10.3.1.

I have power cycled it a few times and the phone rebooted each time and seems stable. It seems at this point that the issue was a stuck power button. The question now is should I send this unit back seeing as Blackberry has already begun the process of authorizing its return on the possibility that it is something other than a sticky switch? Or should I take a chance and keep it?
    04-23-15 03:16 PM
    Lol beat me to the punch. 2 and a half hours ago lol
    04-23-15 03:39 PM
    I have power cycled it a few times and the phone rebooted each time and seems stable. It seems at this point that the issue was a stuck power button. The question now is should I send this unit back seeing as Blackberry has already begun the process of authorizing its return on the possibility that it is something other than a sticky switch? Or should I take a chance and keep it?
    You have a few days before the return label arrives. One OS update by autoloader for my Z30 did the same thing until Link recognized the phone and the OS was reinstalled. Could be you had a software issue that is now resolved. If not the problem will persist and that return label will come in handy.
    04-23-15 03:45 PM
    I did not have to reload the software via Link in order to get the phone working, so it is as I received it. And while I would love to see the phone running 10.3.1 I am hesitant to install the update in case I do decide to return it.
    04-23-15 03:54 PM
    Will not make the OP feel any better... but it can happen on any platform... Went through 3 shiny iphone 6 in one month.... 2 hardware defect and 1 bricked after OS update... just have to grin and bare it when it comes to technology... I have a z30 and is a great phone. At least BB is not giving your runaround... unless you can diagnose the problem with certainty... I would simply get a replacement... it might be this or that business while is soothes the nerves at bit in the end can bite you badly....
    04-23-15 03:54 PM
    Will not make the OP feel any better... but it can happen on any platform... Went through 3 shiny iphone 6 in one month.... 2 hardware defect and 1 bricked after OS update... just have to grin and bare it when it comes to technology... I have a z30 and is a great phone. At least BB is not giving your runaround... unless you can diagnose the problem with certainty... I would simply get a replacement... it might be this or that business while is soothes the nerves at bit in the end can bite you badly....
    That's what i'm thinking. While it seems to have only been a sticky power button I have no way of being certain of that. And I certainly don't want to give Blackberry any reason to choose to replace a brand new phone with a refurbished piece supplied via warranty or because they have finally exhausted their stock.
    04-23-15 04:08 PM
    That's what i'm thinking. While it seems to have only been a sticky power button I have no way of being certain of that. And I certainly don't want to give Blackberry any reason to choose to replace a brand new phone with a refurbished piece supplied via warranty or because they have finally exhausted their stock.
    Having just received it, you won't be getting a refurbished device as a replacement. Glad your problem is solved. But maybe you should send it back because I have NEVER heard of a sticky power button on the Z30. Even after mine was falling and beaten up.
    If the replacement is good, keep that one.
    BionicKris likes this.
    04-23-15 04:23 PM
    Actually I just thought about it, the Z30 has a removable back which hold the power button in place. Is it possible that when you inserted your sim card, you didn't close the back properly?
    04-23-15 04:45 PM
    This also happened to me but the solution was easy...I just removed the SIM and it booted up, then I reinserted the SIM.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-23-15 04:53 PM
    Nope. Didn't remove the back at all because my current SIM is the wrong size. But that makes me wonder whether removing the back and then replacing it might remedy the matter. I have been able to reproduce the problem a couple of times since narrowing down the list of possibilities to the power button and in the process of trying to do a reset caused 10.3.1 to install. Even with the update installed the problem can reoccur which seems to rule out a software issue.

Was unable to do a hard reset btw which requires the use of the power button.
    04-23-15 05:08 PM
    I can certainly relate the back cover causing issues. I had a habit of switching backs as soon as u got a new phone just to keep the original one preserved in the plastic wrap. Well last one I bought from Staples had what I thought was a major issue with the volume buttons not responding (first with the case on and then not at all). I thought for sure that the phone had to go back because it was only the day after. Well I took the case off, same problem, took the back cover off and everything was fine.. so I put the original over on just in case there was a problem with fit and it's been flawless ever since. I do think that it was a way how the back cover was pressed in that caused this though and not which cover was used.
    To return or not to return is very tricky in the OPs case. Maybe it was just a case of the back cover jamming the power button and maybe it wasn't. Really tough call this.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    04-23-15 05:32 PM
    Will be difficult to do with a z30?
    Non removable battery?

Posted via CB10
    Even harder to charge without a battery .

 Posted using my powerful BlackBerry Z30 
    04-23-15 05:39 PM
    [QUOTE=TrueKulcha;11585387To return or not to return is very tricky in the OPs case. Maybe it was just a case of the back cover jamming the power button and maybe it wasn't. Really tough call this.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Blackberry has already initiated the return authorization. Just waiting for the email to arrive with the postage paid label. They would not (for some reason) commit to a replacement once the unit was verified as returned, only a refund. This made me concerned that Blackberry may be close to reaching end of stock on the Z30 so I've ordered another.
    04-23-15 05:54 PM
    Would a new Z30 arrive with the latest OS (i.e. some release of 10.3)? I remember to have read on these forums that all Z30s were manufactured in one batch. If that is indeed the case, unless somebody goes around updating software on phones to be shipped to customers (which would be rather costly given the meagre upside), I would expect it to have had 10.2 on it and not 10.3.1 as the OP found.

Could it be that this is another phone that has been returned to BB previously? Perhaps it was a dodgy phone that was returned with good reason.
    04-23-15 07:51 PM
    I will be honest that I'm in a rush and haven't read all replies, but if it may have been just a stuck power button and everything is working fine now I'd likely keep it. You have 30 days to return to shopblackberry so if it does need to be returned it can (really don't think it does but may be wrong).

You went through the official setup and updated and all is working. The one thing that I would recommend is to definitely use BBVE and this will test basically everything. If all tests are passed and you are not having any issues, I think it may have just been either a dead battery or stuck cycling from the power button. You can always use it for a few weeks before deciding to return.

I received my Z30 today and as I was using the driver to add some music I noticed the misc file in the file manager was last used in November. I'm not sure when production of the Z30 stopped, but as you know this is a premium phone for entry level pricing at this point. It was built to sell at a much higher price than the Leap. Anyway, I'd wait and go through some charge cycles if BBVE is perfect as was on my "new" Z30. Then, if you decide it's fine and really no reason to return or go through the hassle of shipping back and waiting you'll already be set.

The first thing I did with my Z30 was use BBVE and all is perfect... then spent about 6 hours setting everything up perfect. Encryption, icons alphabetical, etc. A bit OCD, but that's how I roll. Think you may have jumped the gun on the return, but the good thing is that if you really do end up needing to return you're all set. I have a feeling your device is fine. You should def feel the press on the power button seems to have just been stuck causing the cycling. Just my opinion and you can return or give it a week or two then decide.

Worse case, just give shopblackberry a call back and let them know the device is working fine and won't need to be returned. On the other hand, I'm a bit impatient so if it's working I'd def not want to give it up lol. Good luck, hope everything works out for ya!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:54 PM
48 12