Hello all,

I will be travelling to Japan in June and was looking at getting one of the So-net data only SIMs for tourists that runs off of the Docomo network (sold in Kansai airport in a vending machine). So-net and all of the other data only SIM providers reselling Docomo specifically mention that Blackberrys are not compatible. Are they just referring to the old Blackberrys that required a special Blackberry plan? I have a Z30 (STA100-5) so technically I should be good to go on their 800/2100 Mhz 3G network.

Has anyone ever brought their phone to Japan and used one of these services?
    Last edited by decivox; 05-18-15 at 05:11 PM.
    05-18-15 04:51 PM
    Yes they most likely mean legacy BBs
    05-18-15 04:59 PM
    I can think of at least two CBers who use BB10 phones in Japan. One of them for sure is a NTT DoCoMo customer (but his phones are ROW models, not NA,) and I think the other one is as well (this guy's phones are most likely NA models.) So obviously, BB10 phones do work on DoCoMo. And as you've figured out, UMTS band 1 is the way in.

Japan has some regulations (non-BB specific) regarding foreigners getting SIM cards; how strictly they are enforced, I don't know. Here is a good webpage to read: Cell Phones in Japan
    pkcable likes this.
    05-18-15 05:04 PM
    I've met two people who had traveled to Japan recently, one in January, and they both opted for a personal mi-fi device. Maybe these are easier to get? There are regulations regarding foreigners and cell phones, as raino said.
    05-18-15 05:16 PM
    I've met two people who had traveled to Japan recently, one in January, and they both opted for a personal mi-fi device. Maybe these are easier to get? There are regulations regarding foreigners and cell phones, as raino said.
    From what I have read, there are only restrictions on getting a SIM card with a true plan provisioned (ie, make calls, texts, etc.). If you are not a resident of Japan, you can only get one of the data only SIM cards. You can get the data only SIM cards in vending machines at the airports, or delivered to your hotel.

Pretty much all of the providers I have looked at also offer the mi-fi device, but I would rather not have another device to carry on me/worry about charging, etc. With a mi-fi though, I would have access to the LTE network and get better coverage in the rural areas between cities I believe
    05-18-15 05:23 PM
    It sounds like you've done quite a bit of research, which probably means you're not on T-Mobile USA. I'm actually curious as to how well T-Mobile USA roams in Japan. I've used it in Toronto, Montreal, UK in general, Brussels and Rome without any trouble.

A friend from Japan visited me two weeks ago and she's on SoftBank, which roams on Sprint in the US.
    05-18-15 05:31 PM
    From what I have read, there are only restrictions on getting a SIM card with a true plan provisioned (ie, make calls, texts, etc.). If you are not a resident of Japan, you can only get one of the data only SIM cards. You can get the data only SIM cards in vending machines at the airports, or delivered to your hotel.
    So you're going to try to place a data-only SIM card in a phone? Would that even work, since data-only service is usually for tablets (at least in the US?)

The UMTS 800 band they use in Japan is band 19, which is kind of a superset of band 6 that's present in BB phones. So the Z30 -5 may not work on UMTS band 19.
    05-18-15 05:33 PM
    So you're going to try to place a data-only SIM card in a phone? Would that even work, since data-only service is usually for tablets?

The UMTS 800 band they use in Japan is band 19, which is kind of a superset of band 6 that's present in BB phones. So the Z30 -5 may not work on UMTS band 19.
    There are lots of iPhone and Android users using these data only SIMs in their phones, so I am thinking it would work in my Z30. Maybe its just best if I rent one of those mobile hotspots instead. They look small enough to keep in a pocket.
    05-18-15 05:37 PM
    There are lots of iPhone and Android users using these data only SIMs in their phones, so I am thinking it would work in my Z30.
    Oh ok. Then I don't think there should be any problems. I'll bring this thread to the Japanese CBer's thread, see if he has any experience with this.
    05-18-15 05:40 PM
    Oh ok. Then I don't think there should be any problems. I'll bring this thread to the Japanese CBer's thread, see if he has any experience with this.
    Thanks for your help!
    05-18-15 05:53 PM
    I'm not familiar with data-only SIMs, but I'm on Docomo's network with my STA 100-5 Z30 (unlocked from BlackBerry) and it works just fine. I think a lot of the information you read about incompatibility with BlackBerry has to do with BBOS. When I was setting up my phone last year after I moved here, BBOS is all that information booklets mentioned about BlackBerry. There was no sign of BB 10 anywhere.

Also, I'm not sure how or even if it'll apply to you, but they had trouble getting my phone's data connection working until we went into the APN settings and set the "Access Point Name" as "mopera.net."

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    05-19-15 01:19 AM
    I will be travelling to Japan in June and was looking at getting one of the So-net data only SIMs for tourists that runs off of the Docomo network (sold in Kansai airport in a vending machine). So-net and all of the other data only SIM providers reselling Docomo specifically mention that Blackberrys are not compatible. Are they just referring to the old Blackberrys that required a special Blackberry plan?
    It appears that they refer to legacy OS devices which DO NOT work without BES nor BIS. (Research In Motion Limited (presently known as BlackBerry Limited) had abandoned Japan before the company started selling BlackBerry 10 devices which DO NOT require BES nor BIS.)

Please obtain an LTE-enabled SIM at the airport when you arrive in Japan. (Please refer to http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...l#post10087812 as well.)

----------

NTT DoCoMo (and its MVNO service providers)

----------

UMTS - 3G services

Band 1 (2100 MHz)
    Band 6 (800 MHz)(to be discontinued)
    Band 9 (1800 MHz)
    Band 19 (800 MHz, which embraces Band 6)

----------

E-UTRA - 4G (3.9G) services (LTE)

Band 1 (2100 MHz)
    Band 3 (1800 MHz)
    Band 19 (800 MHz, which embraces Band 6)
    Band 21 (1500 MHz)
    FF22 and raino like this.
    06-06-15 04:08 AM
    Im currently in Japan and was thinking of switching to a Q5 or Q10.
    Im leaving softbank for OCN and would like to know if anybody has gotten the 050 android app to run on BB10.

Can it be done ? (050 is an internet telephone service from docomo)
    06-09-15 07:17 PM
    Im currently in Japan and was thinking of switching to a Q5 or Q10.
    Im leaving softbank for OCN and would like to know if anybody has gotten the 050 android app to run on BB10.

Can it be done ? (050 is an internet telephone service from docomo)
    When you say "gotten it to run," do you mean "successfully installed" or "fully working"? I have a Q5 back at my apartment that I could at least see if it installs on if that helps you.

Posted via CB10
    aussieinjapan likes this.
    06-09-15 10:25 PM
    yes, i mean successfully installed - thanks !! That would help alot as when I leave my current company (softy) - Im going to move to OCN.
    but if I cant get the 050 to work then I will have to make do with just a data SIM with SMS
    06-10-15 08:28 AM
    It looks like it worked. Stand by and I'll update with screenshots.

Posted via CB10
    raino and aussieinjapan like this.
    06-10-15 05:10 PM
    Thank you so much !!! I read a review last night on amazon about the app but the Japanese poster didnt say if it worked or not !
    06-10-15 07:05 PM
    Thank you so much !!! I read a review last night on amazon about the app but the Japanese poster didnt say if it worked or not !
    Sure thing! Here are the screenshots I got.

Loading Screen
    Japan Data Only Sims and BB10 Phones? Compatible or not?-img_20150611_061927.png

App permissions, I guess? This is only on first startup.
    Japan Data Only Sims and BB10 Phones? Compatible or not?-img_20150611_062251.png

Home menu (before signing up for service, I assume). The top two options take you to the website (which does have an English option), the third is where you go once you have your 050 number and password, and the fourth is a test call. I tried a test call, but it returned an error code 9714 (basically a try again later - but I just tried from my work place using my Z30's mobile hot spot, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it).
    Japan Data Only Sims and BB10 Phones? Compatible or not?-img_20150611_062323.png

An example of the setup process on the website (language options along the top.
    Japan Data Only Sims and BB10 Phones? Compatible or not?-img_20150611_062457.png

All this was tried on my unlocked Q5. Model number SQR 100-3. OS version 10.3.1.1016.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    06-10-15 09:13 PM
    So all I have to do is download it from google play to my new Q5, right ?? or is it sideloaded ?

Thanks for testing it for me
    06-10-15 09:36 PM
    So all I have to do is download it from google play to my new Q5, right ?? or is it sideloaded ?

Thanks for testing it for me
    You're welcome!

The days of sideloading, so to speak, are gone now that BB10 can install most Android apps no problem so long as you have the apk.
    050 is a free app, so I just did a generic Google search for "050 plus apk" and found a site that hosts it for download.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-15 02:39 AM
    thanks once again ! i decided to get a Q5 as its a good price now.
    Cant wait to try it out
    06-12-15 09:36 AM
    Decivox,
    I have been researching this exact same thing and can't find a conclusive answer. Did you go with a data-only SIM in your Z30? How did it turn out?

Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 11:32 PM
    Captain Hits, Can I ask if you live in Japan ?
    If so, with the Q5 - do you get 4G or 3G only ???
    I know it has band 3 which is 1800mhz - which seems to be just metres from my house (but covers work area)
    06-17-15 09:40 AM
    Im going with OCN - but my phone has yet to arrive. They have the best package and data plan. Rakuten plus a lot of others restricts data but with OCN, you can use it as you please. It depends if 4G works or not, I seem to be just metres outside the 1800 mhz zone (try this site: ????LTE?????Band3????????????? | MVNO??? ).

Data sim at first while using LINE and whats app plus facebook as I really dont call at all - of course I will try the 050 app as well
    06-17-15 09:45 AM
    Yup, I do currently live in Japan. With my Z30, I can only get 3G, and I believe that's all I got with my Q5 as well (though it's been a few months since I moved my SIM card to my Z30).

Posted via CB10
    06-17-15 11:17 PM
50 12