Doesn't it bother any of you that the rear cover has a silver apendage meant to emulate the silver ring encircling the phone. It's the part that covers the sd and sim slots. It's a janky design bandage for what should not have been an issue in the first place.

I sent my copy back for various reasons, but one of them was that the tab never sat flush with the phone. (and I remember it never did with the verizon display Z30s back when they were first released. I also remember a rather silly (but I can't blame him) reviewer broke the tab off, thinking it was a port cover (which it is, I guess).

If it weren't for this design quirk, I'd say the Z30 is the prettiest phone I've seen or used. But, boy, is it a bear to click the power button when it's resting on a table.
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    04-15-14 11:09 AM
    Looks are less important to me than function. The ring on my phone sits flush so no issues in that range. And the device is contained in a flip case so the silver ring is barely noticeable any way. I'd still use the Z30 even if the thing were pug ugly.
    Haytham Hamad and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-15-14 12:16 PM
    But I honestly love the silver Tab

From Zarafet my Z30.
    CerveloJohn and bbdodgersdude like this.
    04-15-14 03:28 PM
    But I honestly love the silver Tab

From Zarafet my Z30.
    The silver tab is a piece of plastic protruding from the removable rear cover. It is coloured silver to resemble the silver band on the body of the phone. The issue is that it does not sit flush, nor does it look good at all (certainly not better than a continuous ring would.

It's a design oversight, remedied with poor design.
    04-15-14 03:43 PM
    I don't mind the silver tab, but I gotta be honest I wished BlackBerry would have made it all Black. did they not just release an all white model ? Only fair lol!

My extra extraordinary Z30
    04-15-14 03:44 PM
    I don't mind the silver tab, but I gotta be honest I wished BlackBerry would have made it all Black. did they not just release an all white model ? Only fair lol!

I thought that at first....but the matte silver magnesium looks pretty awesome in person....like a high end omega watch or F1 car. chrome would look cheap trying to be fancy ala galaxy phones, and matte black would probably been a little too understated. I just with this silver photographed better.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 05:34 PM

Lol no they did not. The white model also has the same silver slab.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:08 PM
    Mine sits flush and I have no problem with it, honestly took me awhile to realize it was even there. I think the silver band adds a very nice touch that really makes the phone "pop" in terms of aesthetics.
    Carl Estes and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-15-14 07:21 PM
    I just made the entire phone silver. Threw a phantom skin on it!

Posted via a flick of my thumb
    04-15-14 09:34 PM
    Not bothered by it, but it does nothing to prevent me from holding it upside-down (which is supposedly why it's there).

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 09:57 PM
    Doesn't it bother any of you that the rear cover has a silver apendage meant to emulate the silver ring encircling the phone. It's the part that covers the sd and sim slots. It's a janky design bandage for what should not have been an issue in the first place.

I sent my copy back for various reasons, but one of them was that the tab never sat flush with the phone. (and I remember it never did with the verizon display Z30s back when they were first released. I also remember a rather silly (but I can't blame him) reviewer broke the tab off, thinking it was a port cover (which it is, I guess).

If it weren't for this design quirk, I'd say the Z30 is the prettiest phone I've seen or used. But, boy, is it a bear to click the power button when it's resting on a table.
    Really? People have to stop getting affected by such small stuff, when life gives you a lot more to worry about.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-15-14 11:12 PM
    Really? People have to stop getting affected by such small stuff, when life gives you a lot more to worry about.
    It's a design mistake. Jobs wasn't successful with Apple because he wasn't detail-oriented/a perfectionist/aware of the industrial design of Apple's products.

It's something that would never happen at Nokia. Never at Apple--though Antenna-gate may have been worse in a different way. Never with phones like the HTC One. The GS5 is at least a step up from the 4. It shouldn't have happened with the BlackBerry Z30, but it did.

It's just a really ugly detail on a beautiful phone. It doesn't matter, my Z30 has been sent back. It was a great annoyance. And I prefer my Q10.
    04-15-14 11:22 PM
    Not bothered by it, but it does nothing to prevent me from holding it upside-down (which is supposedly why it's there).

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about the grey tab that is right above the hdmi and usb port. Not the chin.

Mine sits flush and I have no problem with it, honestly took me awhile to realize it was even there. I think the silver band adds a very nice touch that really makes the phone "pop" in terms of aesthetics.
    Don't get me wrong. I love the silver band (if it had been continuous instead of interrupted by the fake part that won't sit flush because it is a part of the rear cover). The Z30 is one of the most striking phone profiles (side view) on the market.
    04-15-14 11:23 PM
    Mine sits flush just fine. No problem at all. You just had to pop the back door off and on a few times...that's all.

The Q10 is a great phone as well. It's my work issue on BES, but could never use it all day and night.

Posted with my Z30 on Verizon from Philly
    04-15-14 11:39 PM

Mine went into the Ortterbox day 1.
    Problem solved!

Posted on a Post-It!
    04-15-14 11:43 PM
    I think it adds to the Z30's personality, i like it ...
    04-16-14 08:18 AM
    I think it adds to the Z30's personality, i like it ...
    ...what?!
    04-16-14 08:40 AM
    A little. Mine sticks out some but I may have done it taking the back off the first time? Can it be bent?
    04-16-14 09:02 AM
    Maybe it's there because at first they where planning a 4 port mini USB hub!

Z30 Pooooooooower!!!
    04-16-14 09:05 AM
    Mine is flush. Although, I would be frustrated if mine protruded. Take your unit back for exchange.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 09:25 AM
    It's a design mistake. Jobs wasn't successful with Apple because he wasn't detail-oriented/a perfectionist/aware of the industrial design of Apple's products.

It's something that would never happen at Nokia. Never at Apple--though Antenna-gate may have been worse in a different way. Never with phones like the HTC One. The GS5 is at least a step up from the 4. It shouldn't have happened with the BlackBerry Z30, but it did.

It's just a really ugly detail on a beautiful phone. It doesn't matter, my Z30 has been sent back. It was a great annoyance. And I prefer my Q10.
    I can't wait for the day that everyone realizes that Apple isn't the end all/be all of design. From a use point of view many of their designs are terrible! Without a case, the iPhone 4/4s will slide off of any table that sits at more than a 2 degree angle, regardless of which side you set it on. The modern iMacs are completely confounding to someone that hasn't used one before, and any computer that you need to turn around to plug anything into is just awful.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 09:26 AM
    I have more of an issue with the whole silver chin and trim. It's made od soft, junky plastic with poor paint. It chips extremely easy relatively speaking, and it can break at the most minimal contact. I have a chip in the silver trim, about 1mm, because I was inserting the USB cable and accidentally clipped the trim with a corner of the USB cable. Yeah, it's that easy to chip.

It wasn't me being Hulk either. The "impact" was very, very light, more a small knock with the cable connector, yet a piece just came off.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:23 AM
    I can't wait for the day that everyone realizes that Apple isn't the end all/be all of design. From a use point of view many of their designs are terrible! Without a case, the iPhone 4/4s will slide off of any table that sits at more than a 2 degree angle, regardless of which side you set it on. The modern iMacs are completely confounding to someone that hasn't used one before, and any computer that you need to turn around to plug anything into is just awful.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not saying Apple has the best designs. But they probably do have the best fit-and-finish. I'm talking about fit and finish. Obviously BlackBerry doesn't have the resources that Apple does, but it could have been avoided if someone had spoken up in the design process: "hey, why don't we just design it properly in the first place?". I see it as a matter of taste. I like the products I buy to to be honest, not fake.

Most of these companies wouldn't release a flagship with such an obvious flaw. Even if mine sat flush, does it make any sense that the rear cover has piece of fake band sticking out? It's such an odd piece of design. Janky is the word, maybe. Especially considering the fact that of the three Z30s I've seen in person, all of them have had these tabs sitting lopsided, snagging on my thumb.

---

Of course, it's not really that big of a deal in the long run. But details can be more important than some of you think, especially in this contemporary marketplace.

I made the thread because I was surprised that more people hadn't commented on the issue. I'm a detail-oriented person, sometimes to a fault. So this especially bothered me (and it's the only issue I had with the phone that I couldn't see myself getting over).

And as for the comment directly above: yeah, the fake-metal look is pretty cheesy. Again, a matter of taste, imo. The phone looks beautiful from most angles (among the prettiest). But fake is fake, and when you know it and can feel the manufacturer caring more about how it appears in a picture than how it feels in a user's hand, well that product isn't worth the money or time.
    04-16-14 12:48 PM
    I like it

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 01:01 PM
    Isn't Anyone Bothered by the Silver Tab?
    OP, you asked if others were bothered by this. Most aren't, as it turns out. (For what it's worth, I have seen this mentioned before, but only as a passing minor, forgettable annoyance.)

If you had titled your thread, "I hate this and you have to as well", then you could get defensive when others don't share your opinion. As it is, you've expressed your opinion and experience, and others have done the same. So the Z30 didn't work for you. It works for others. I'm glad you found something that does work for you in the Q10.

There really are bigger things in life (and BlackBerry) to focus on than whether it's justifiable for others to not lose sleep over a tiny piece of trim.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-16-14 01:32 PM
37 12