The Z30 is great for what it is - but my personal tastes have changed much over the past few months and as I've dabbled with Android devices such as the Moto X and even OnePlus, I've hit a point where I only use BlackBerry for one thing - as a phone and as a mobile communications device. Various other apps that I use like CB10, Weather, Banking, Transit schedules, etc make my BB10 phones infinitely more useful than just messaging alone.

But I've come to notice I do all that with the most pleasure on my Q10.

However news apps, apps requiring Google services, ebooks, and just the overall consumption of content - is much more enjoyable on android devices than it ever will be on the Z30 or any other BlackBerry slab styled phone.

To be sure - the Z30 is top notch as far as slabs and phones go (reception, keyboard, battery life, etc) but not when it comes to media consumption, which for me is the priority I place on touch screen phones.

I own the limited edition Z10 and the Z30 - I'd love to keep the Z30 and sell the Z10 if it weren't for the fact that I paid a hefty price for it and it's value has depreciated significantly.

Here's my dilemma - I bought a bunch of movies from BlackBerry world during the holidays when they had movies for 0.99 and they're all DRM protected and I can only use them on the Z30.

There's no option to re-download them on the Z10 b/c of course, the movie and music store closed this past July.

Anyone know how I can remove this DRM so I can watch them on the Z10, so I can sell the Z30?

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-11-14 10:36 AM
    You may want to look at Aimersoft Video Converter (paid) Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate: All-in-one Video Converter | OFFICIAL (I use this), or
    Freemake or Handbrake (free) I've tried them both, and they have all the tools to convert to any format (with presets for the Playbook) and sidestep the DRM.
    DLewis13 likes this.
    09-11-14 10:44 AM
    Thx i'll check it out!

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-11-14 02:57 PM
    There's no option to re-download them on the Z10 b/c of course, the movie and music store closed this past July.
    #CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    You can re-download your movies, as long as you haven't hit the maximum number of devices limit or the time imit specified.

Open BlackBerry World, go to "My World", "MyVideo", and hit the "Movies" tab at the top.

Posted via CB10 using white Z30!
    baspeed likes this.
    09-11-14 11:19 PM
    You can re-download your movies, as long as you haven't hit the maximum number of devices limit or the time imit specified.

Open BlackBerry World, go to "My World", "MyVideo", and hit the "Movies" tab at the top.

Posted via CB10 using white Z30!
    Omg thank you lol

I'm so ashamed to say I didn't realize that and I've been a bb10 user from the start loll.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    baspeed likes this.
    09-12-14 05:11 PM
    That's awesome, I thought I Lost my videos as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 05:39 PM
    Curious why you find media consumption better on Android if the android apps are now on BB10? Is it just because some of these apps aren't running as smoothly on the z30?

If so, I wonder if that'll be different on the z50 with 10.3 (and it's 4.3 android runtime).

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 10:35 PM
    Curious why you find media consumption better on Android if the android apps are now on BB10? Is it just because some of these apps aren't running as smoothly on the z30?

If so, I wonder if that'll be different on the z50 with 10.3 (and it's 4.3 android runtime).

Posted via CB10
    Apps that require Google services don't run on BlackBerry - a very useful and powerful tool that I like using is Google translate. Google Newsstand is outstanding. I like using the TripAdvisor apps when travelling which sadly require Google services. The Youtube app is much more enjoyable to use than the browser on BlackBerry. And web-browsing using chrome is also more enjoyable, it handles tabs more nicely (visually speaking).

Reading e-books is a lot better on android.

The only thing I'll give BlackBerry is reader mode which I haven't found yet on other platforms. Crackberry is way better on BlackBerry 10 as well. So when browsing and then wishing to read articles, reader mode makes it better to read on my BlackBerry - but if the site has a mobile version, then it negates this feature as it makes it equally accessible on my android phone.

It's not so much as to what BlackBerry can or can't do - it's that when it comes to the consumption of content, it's more fine-tuned and better executed, probably because Google is a giant.

The ecosystem is huge for the user experience and is one reason why BlackBerry may never ever make it back again in the consumer space - they're too small to create something even remotely comparable to everything that Google or apple offers. I guess in short - the app gap really does screw em over, i never used to think so, but after experiencing android, i now see what the app gap means - and the runtime isn't going to close it, until we get access to Google play services as well.

Overall, you can find a way to accomplish the same thing on BlackBerry - but you'll have to as examples, side-load, run patches, use 3rd party clients that sometimes cost a lot and are buggy and get abandoned by the dev, etc

I don't have high hopes for the 10.3 run-time - yes, I'll expect android apps to run smoother, I'm expecting us to get android notifications integrated (ex if u use Tinder) into BlackBerry's notifications. But something tells me it still won't be the same experience as on android itself or compared to native apps, which will probably decline in number except for enterprise apps.

Don't get me wrong, if I had no choice but to pick one, it'd be a BlackBerry 10 phone.

Not saying I'd pick a android phone over a Z30 - I'm saying that if I have a Q10 already, and I need a supplementary device for play-time, I'd pick android or apple to do that, not the Z10 or Z30.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-13-14 01:38 AM
    Apps that require Google services don't run on BlackBerry - a very useful and powerful tool that I like using is Google translate. Google Newsstand is outstanding. I like using the TripAdvisor apps when travelling which sadly require Google services. The Youtube app is much more enjoyable to use than the browser on BlackBerry. And web-browsing using chrome is also more enjoyable, it handles tabs more nicely (visually speaking).

The only thing I'll give BlackBerry is reader mode which I haven't found yet on other platforms. Crackberry is way better on BlackBerry 10 as well. So when browsing and then wishing to read articles, reader mode makes it better to read on my BlackBerry - but if the site has a mobile version, then it negates this feature as it makes it equally accessible on my android phone.

It's not so much as to what BlackBerry can or can't do - it's that when it comes to the consumption of content, it's more fine-tuned and better executed, probably because Google is a giant.

The ecosystem is huge for the user experience and is one reason why BlackBerry may never ever make it back again in the consumer space - they're too small to create something even remotely comparable to everything that Google or apple offers. I guess in short - the app gap really does screw em over, i never used to think so, but after experiencing android, i now see what the app gap means - and the runtime isn't going to close it, until we get access to Google play services as well.

Overall, you can find a way to accomplish the same thing on BlackBerry - but you'll have to as examples, side-load, run patches, use 3rd party clients that sometimes cost a lot and are buggy and get abandoned by the dev, etc

I don't have high hopes for the 10.3 run-time - yes, I'll expect android apps to run smoother, I'm expecting us to get android notifications integrated (ex if u use Tinder) into BlackBerry's notifications. But something tells me it still won't be the same experience as on android itself or compared to native apps, which will probably decline in number except for enterprise apps.

Don't get me wrong, if I had no choice but to pick one, it'd be a BlackBerry 10 phone.

Not saying I'd pick a android phone over a Z30 - I'm saying that if I have a Q10 already, and I need a supplementary device for play-time, I'd pick android or apple to do that, not the Z10 or Z30.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Of course. Your last statement rings true. But even better, if you pick iPad in my opinion.
    09-13-14 02:52 AM
    I don't know... I came to Z30 from an iphone5 and galaxy before that so I've experienced them all. I like the Z30 more than either.

I always tell people that if u just want the best phone in terms of UI, then get the iPhone. Especially if you are an older techno phone. The Iphone is a must.

But if you are going to have deeper phone interactions, I prefer the Blackberry OS.

I agree that a Google Services is a major missing piece.

As far as some of the app problems with Z30, I find them a minor nuisance, not a deal breaker. I'm hoping 10.3 will make it even less if an issue since most apps will run properly at that point.

Posted via CB10
    desporterizer likes this.
    09-13-14 09:14 AM
    Well Ive decided to hang onto the Z30 - it really was a watershed device for Blackberry 10, with the paratek antenna, premium feel, unique design, miracast, long battery life, USB OTG, etc its probably their best phone built to-date.

We may never see a device like it (ie. a sucessor) again if the Classic and Passport flops.

#9900 #BeBold #ToolbeltRocks
    09-13-14 09:35 AM
    Well I have the 10.3 leak(1154) on my z30 and I'm loving it. Every android app, Google services ones notwithstanding, work amazing and everything I've looked for on amazon store is there for the most part in terms of android apps.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 07:07 PM
    I download movies from iTunes, have it on my PC. Sync it either on my Z10 or iPad. Runs smoothly. Not to mention I sync my music with BlackBerry via iTunes also. BlackBerry and Apple works with me seamlessly. Can't wait for the BlackBerry blend.

"BlackBerry is the extension of my hand" - DadaBerry C00182421
    09-13-14 07:28 PM
    I download movies from iTunes, have it on my PC. Sync it either on my Z10 or iPad. Runs smoothly. Not to mention I sync my music with BlackBerry via iTunes also. BlackBerry and Apple works with me seamlessly. Can't wait for the BlackBerry blend.

"BlackBerry is the extension of my hand" - DadaBerry C00182421
    Can you explain how you manage your music and movies in a bit more detail. curious.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 02:15 PM

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Understood. I currently carry a Q10 and HTC One.

Rockin the Q
    09-16-14 04:17 PM
    Can you explain how you manage your music and movies in a bit more detail. curious.

Posted via CB10
    When you use your BlackBerry Link, there is an option wether to select Windows Media Player or iTunes to sync your music. I prefer it that way than copying music files straight to my BlackBerry. Though the disadvantage is you won't be able to send multiple music files via bluetooth on another device. I have 2,500+ songs on my BlackBerry. And I need my iTunes playlists to keep it organized.

"Blackberry is the extension of my hand" - C00182421
    09-16-14 04:56 PM
    When you use your BlackBerry Link, there is an option wether to select Windows Media Player or iTunes to sync your music. I prefer it that way than copying music files straight to my BlackBerry. Though the disadvantage is you won't be able to send multiple music files via bluetooth on another device. I have 2,500+ songs on my BlackBerry. And I need my iTunes playlists to keep it organized.

You mentioned movies though. How do you get them to play? Do you strip the DRM first?

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 05:37 PM

So to be clear, can you play music on blue tooth enabled speakers with those iTunes songs?

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 09:19 PM
    I play using bluetooth headset. So I believe it would be the same if I would use bluetooth speakers.

Sorry about the movies. Erase. My bad. What I'm trying to say is I use my iPad for movies and BlackBerry for my music.

09-18-14 11:55 PM