Question: I've had my Z30 for two years now and was thinking about purchasing another z30 before they become completely unavailable. If BlackBerry 10 is end of life and BlackBerry goes Android only will my phone still function? Will it continue to work until it wears out and dies a natural death? This question may be elementary but please don't berate me for my lack of tech understanding. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 10:35 PM
    Absolutely it will still work - even if BlackBerry disappeared off the face of the Earth.
    11-27-15 10:39 PM
    Question: I've had my Z30 for two years now and was thinking about purchasing another z30 before they become completely unavailable. If BlackBerry 10 is end of life and BlackBerry goes Android only will my phone still function? Will it continue to work until it wears out and dies a natural death? This question may be elementary but please don't berate me for my lack of tech understanding. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    It depends on what BlackBerry does in terms of support. There is so much on the back end that is dependent on BlackBerry continuing paying and supplying those services. When you start to see the services go, then it would be pretty much time to get rid of the BB10 device. I am keeping my Z30 as long as I can.
    kbrant64 likes this.
    11-27-15 10:44 PM
    Absolutely it will still work - even if BlackBerry disappeared off the face of the Earth.
    Actually all you will have is a phone and if you need to reload the OS, you won't be able to. Your statement isn't realistic.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-27-15 10:45 PM
    It depends on what BlackBerry does in terms of support. There is so much on the back end that is dependent on BlackBerry continuing paying and supplying those services. When you start to see the services go, then it would be pretty much time to get rid of the BB10 device. I am keeping my Z30 as long as I can.
    That was my exact concern. In what way would it benefit BlackBerry to continue paying for services for a dead OS? I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer so it would probably be best to just enjoy the Z30 I have and prepare for a burial at sea.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 11:01 PM
    Actually all you will have is a phone and if you need to reload the OS, you won't be able to. Your statement isn't realistic.
    While the absence of support is not desirable, the question, as I understood it, was "will the phone still work". The answer is yes, until something goes wrong.
    11-27-15 11:06 PM
    While the absence of support is not desirable, the question, as I understood it, was "will the phone still work". The answer is yes, until something goes wrong.
    Yes, I'm asking if my phone will still be fully operational if BlackBerry keeps its current trajectory and only produces android phones from this point forward

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 11:12 PM
    Yes, I'm asking if my phone will still be fully operational if BlackBerry keeps its current trajectory and only produces android phones from this point forward

Posted via CB10
    If they are still in business, it is unlikely they would arbitrarily shut down services (like BBW, OS downloads, etc). Even if they did, you could go all google for your apps.

Although you can still download apps and OSes for BBOS. You should be fine.
    11-27-15 11:15 PM
    If they are still in business, it is unlikely they would arbitrarily shut down services (like BBW, OS downloads, etc). Even if they did, you could go all google for your apps.

Understood! Thanks for the heads-up Conite

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 11:23 PM
    BlackBerry 10 will continue to "work" on its phones for years to come, whether the updates will continue after 2016... that has yet to be determined. Heck, BB7 users are still rocking! Don't get caught up in you're phone "not working", BlackBerry still has millions of people on BB10. As for building any new devices on BB10, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-28-15 01:53 AM

But as you said, if they are no longer in business, all those things like BBW, OS downloads would no longer be available and the phone would not be "fully functional".
    11-28-15 06:13 AM
    But as you said, if they are no longer in business, all those things like BBW, OS downloads would no longer be available and the phone would not be "fully functional".
    Agreed. If BlackBerry announced they were turning off the lights, I would turn off BlackBerry Protect, download the most recent autoloader, and get Google Play Store up and running.
    Carmels likes this.
    11-28-15 08:01 AM
    It would keep working. Look at the PlayBook, there has been no support for it for two years and countless people still use it. Same for the bold 9900 etc.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 03:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    It'll brick and self-destruct!
    11-28-15 03:52 PM
    I love my Z30. After just spending $100 on repairs I'm in for a while still.

That said I'm watching the Priv closely. I don't need a qwerty but aside from that it's as BlackBerry as you can get if BlackBerry 10 phones vanished.

I really hope BB10 doesn't go away though. I appreciate the OS very much and since I'm not an app person I'm not missing much elsewhere anyway.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    11-28-15 06:14 PM
    It'll brick and self-destruct!
    I knew some smart A$$ would chime in sooner or later. I love crackberry!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 09:04 PM
    Do it OP, I just got my new backup Z30 today and I have no regrets. I'll definitely be using it eventually, until /if a new BB10 phone comes out. The only problem is fighting the temptation to use the new phone now, when there's actually nothing wrong with my original 2yr old Z30

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 01:05 AM
    I knew some smart A$$ would chime in sooner or later. I love crackberry!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    No hate to the OP, although I still can't get used to people who actually think that'll happen to their phones :facepalm: like you said, gotta love crackberry right.
    12-01-15 04:06 AM
    It's strictly business with my BlackBerry..the others phones out there are Game phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-15 11:38 PM
    It's strictly business with my BlackBerry..the others phones out there are Game phones.

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully your business does not require Microsoft Office 365, mobile deposits, vpn software, citrix receiver, non-bes mdm, or does anything significant on social media.

I'm a BlackBerry fan too, but statements like this are silly.
    12-02-15 11:46 PM
    No hate to the OP, although I still can't get used to people who actually think that'll happen to their phones :facepalm: like you said, gotta love crackberry right.
    Dude, in my initial post I said "this may be an elementary question" which means I don't know much about phones. Therefore, common sense dictates that I ask people that do. Common sense also dictates that a person with limited intelligence but knowledge of one subject may take the opportunity to stroke their own ego by bashing the less knowledgeable. You're welcome.

Posted via CB10
    KermEd likes this.
    12-03-15 09:23 PM
    I don't think it's an unfair question, and I also think it's not an If but When

The short answer (opinion + speculation)

- if they are successful in the Android space, it'll stay running for a long time. But they will stop the servers one day (likely as soon as its cheaper to cancel existing contracts than to maintain the services).

- if they are sorta successful in the Android space. They can't afford both. They will stop the servers sooner and focus on Android with every server and penny they have.

- if they go bust on Android. They don't have enough resources to undo all of the BB10 decomissioning they already did (they passed the point of no return on my estimates about 11 months ago). In this case the servers will stop abruptly.

- alternatively they sell BB10 to a company better intune with delivering products to a fanbase which could potentially lead to a successful BB10 being maintained. In that case, BB11 and BB12 would one day come with BB12 or 13 likely being the decomissioning of the BB10 servers and systems.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    12-03-15 09:38 PM
    Hopefully your business does not require Microsoft Office 365, mobile deposits, vpn software, citrix receiver, non-bes mdm, or does anything significant on social media.

I'm a BlackBerry fan too, but statements like this are silly.
    Any good business will be using Cisco AnyConnect which is supported by BB10. I use VPN to access my office using the VPN setups on BB10.
    12-04-15 11:42 PM
    The Android Citirx used to work fine on my BlackBerry, but it just stopped being able to log in. Soooooooooooo envious of how well it works on my iPad.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 01:44 AM

Posted via CB10
    Two years you say? The Z30 did NOT debut in 2013, nor in January 2014 (unless I'm mistaken). Are you over exaggerating on the time of ownership?

вιaсĸвεггч� Z30 via CB10 (Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639) ‎Bell Mobility on BES12
    12-06-15 07:51 PM
29 12