Hello guys.

I'm planning to buy Z30 soon . I've used maemo (n900), android, ios, os7, and windows os. I would like to try BB10 now. But first, before i take the plunge, i would like to ask several questions:

1) To those who have used blackberry Z30 for a period of time (3months or longer), and is a heavy user, did you notice any decrease in performance, such as lags, or freezes? The reason I ask is because like android, it gets slower over time, with occasional hangs like after 5 months of use.

2) My carrier latest update for Z30 is 10.2.1.537. If compared to the latest os version (10.2.1.2141), are there significant changes or improvements? Should I stick with .537, or update with leaked .2141? Will there be a problem if i update with leaked .2141? What is the worst thing that could happen?

3) How is the performance of android apps in Z30 with .537 and .2141? I heard there are quite alot of android market clients (snap, 1mobile, sachesi, amazon), which one is the best and most efficient? and I read somewhere that the android's applications that use camera or gallery cannot read SD card in the current os version. Is there a fix?

4) I'm not much of a gamer, but it would be great to play games once in a while. Can Z30 handles high-end games such as modern combat 4 (playing this on my ipad), real racing 2, etc? this would be the least important, but doesn't hurt to have though. =D

5) Is it possible for blackberry to drop the support for android? I ask this because Nokia dropped the support on maemo (N900), which is one of the best phone I have and am still using it at this very moment. Open source, fully customized, etc. Too bad they dropped maemo.

6) Not sure if I miss anything, but are there any things that I should know before buying Z30?

I think that's all for now. I'll keep on posting questions if I could think of one. =)

I would really appreciate your feedbacks on Z30.

Thank you very much!!
    03-02-14 07:20 AM
    All really good questions...

1) No, BB10 does not slow down and lag over time like Android. If you install leaks and updates, it gets better over time.
    2) Go ahead and install the update.
    3) Snap is the best Android fetcher/installer. I don't use it, personally, as I dislike Android apps which often run better on my Z30 than on my S4.
    4) 3D graphics acceleration and audio are both superior on BB10, and there are a ton of games. It's easy to use bluetooth controllers and HDMI out on large screens too. Android wins in terms of quantity of games, but the experience is better on a more advanced OS.
    5) They may drop Android support. I don't know why they would. Doesn't matter to me.
    6) You should know that it's very addictive and you may not be able to put it down.

Good luck!
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-02-14 08:45 AM
    Jrohland summarized it pretty well. Completely agree.

A few notes though :

1. There two version numbers people usually refers to : software release version number and OS version number. For example, for software release 10.2.1.537, it contains OS 10.2.1.1914 (or something like that). The latest software version is 10.2.1.2102, it contains OS 10.2.1.2141... Basically software release is a package containing not only OS, but lots of core apps.

2. In terms of the differences between 1914 and 2141, the only thing I seems to notice is the battery life seems to be even better with 2141.

Go ahead and bite the bullet, you won't regret it.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-02-14 08:47 AM

Ditto!

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-02-14 08:57 AM
    I can't see any reason BlackBerry would remove the Android runtime unless Google forces them to.
    I'd like to point out that Google doesn't own Android so they couldn't force anyone to stop supporting Android. The only thing they have control over is who can use their services. The Android runtime is built by BlackBerry. The reason we don't have Google Services is because in order to have Google support you just submit your runtime to them for their approval. Either it's pending with BlackBerry or they just haven't bothered.
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-02-14 12:43 PM
    - Answer to your questions ..

1. NO LAGS what so eva
    2. stick with official releases
    3. Good (smoother than my friends S4)
    4. Z30 has 'Quad Core Graphics' and all the games you mentioned has been released by EA officially in BB World (irrleavant question)
    5. No news of Blackberry dropping any support as of now.
    6. Just BUY the device
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-02-14 12:56 PM
    Buy it

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:32 PM
    Had phone for about 3 months now and still not slowing down. I game often and battery life still really good. Android apps work really well, almost as smooth as BlackBerry ones. Only issue is not a lot of case options yet.
    No other phones can compare to it. I haven't bothered with any leaks yet.

Posted via CB10
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-02-14 03:17 PM
    You will definitely buy the Z30 if those are your questions

Posted via Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    03-02-14 03:27 PM
    No, BB10 is not susceptible to that slowdown over time.You should take advantage of it being a new phone and put the latest leak on. There is not a significant difference between 1925 (537) and 2141 (2102) but, the update is easy and fast so why not do it?Android apps perform very well on the Z30. I feel Snap is the best because it uses the actual Google Play Store. It is true there can be occasional problems accessing the SD card from Android apps. However, BlackBerry says if you format the SD card in the BB10 phone you should not have problems. I find the native photo apps are great so I don't use and Android apps for camera or gallery activities.I don't game much on my Z30 but it has excellent hardware and battery life so it should be very good at it. Also, you won't find better audio on a phone today. (The HTC One may be comparable.)I can't see any reason BlackBerry would remove the Android runtime unless Google forces them to. It may, however, go out of date at some point. None of us know the future so we make choices based on what we know, not what we guess might happen.The phone is ergonomically excellent for many of us. I feel the Samsung phablets are too large and the screen size for iPhone is too small. For me, the Z30 struck the proper balance between size, performance, battery life and features.
    thank you very much for the kind reply. I'm not much of an app guy. Even on other OS, I have little apps, except for PHOTOGRAPHY Apps like snapseed, vsco, photoshop express etc2. LOL. I went through the BBW from the browser, and did not find vast photography apps.

I do believe that blackberry OS10 is better than android. It's just that i'm hoping they won't drop the support for android because it would significantly narrow the app gap, and it could be one of the best marketing strategy to help BB boost their sales.

All really good questions...

1) No, BB10 does not slow down and lag over time like Android. If you install leaks and updates, it gets better over time.
    2) Go ahead and install the update.
    3) Snap is the best Android fetcher/installer. I don't use it, personally, as I dislike Android apps which often run better on my Z30 than on my S4.
    4) 3D graphics acceleration and audio are both superior on BB10, and there are a ton of games. It's easy to use bluetooth controllers and HDMI out on large screens too. Android wins in terms of quantity of games, but the experience is better on a more advanced OS.
    5) They may drop Android support. I don't know why they would. Doesn't matter to me.
    6) You should know that it's very addictive and you may not be able to put it down.

Good luck!
    Thank you sir! I would definitely start to learn how to update leaked os version. At work at the moment, can't really learn right now lol!

Jrohland summarized it pretty well. Completely agree.

A few notes though :

1. There two version numbers people usually refers to : software release version number and OS version number. For example, for software release 10.2.1.537, it contains OS 10.2.1.1914 (or something like that). The latest software version is 10.2.1.2102, it contains OS 10.2.1.2141... Basically software release is a package containing not only OS, but lots of core apps.

2. In terms of the differences between 1914 and 2141, the only thing I seems to notice is the battery life seems to be even better with 2141.

Thank you very much aha! Just a question though, would it somehow conflict or create a problem if i use leaked OS rather than the official release?

I'd like to point out that Google doesn't own Android so they couldn't force anyone to stop supporting Android. The only thing they have control over is who can use their services. The Android runtime is built by BlackBerry. The reason we don't have Google Services is because in order to have Google support you just submit your runtime to them for their approval. Either it's pending with BlackBerry or they just haven't bothered.
    I think if they approve, Z30 would drown all other phones! ha!

- Answer to your questions ..

1. NO LAGS what so eva
    2. stick with official releases
    3. Good (smoother than my friends S4)
    4. Z30 has 'Quad Core Graphics' and all the games you mentioned has been released by EA officially in BB World (irrleavant question)
    5. No news of Blackberry dropping any support as of now.
    6. Just BUY the device
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I love it when phones do not lags or slow down to the point that it's a pain to use (nonstop loading circle etc)

2141 is an official release. In fact, every leak is an official release. It just may not be available from your carrier. If you want any given release, take your unlocked phone, hop an airplane to a place where a carrier has it and install the OS. Or you could save the airplane trip and install it where you are.
    Ahhh.. Perhaps my carrier would not want to push the current update yet. I still remember the promotion my carrier had in OCT 2013 was to buy a Z30 with 24months contract at 1/3 OF THE ORIGINAL PRICE (RM780, or $230 from RM2,199, or $670), and get FREE Z10, with accessories plus Alicia Keys concert tickets. Too bad I didn't notice the promotion until it ended!!!!

Had phone for about 3 months now and still not slowing down. I game often and battery life still really good. Android apps work really well, almost as smooth as BlackBerry ones. Only issue is not a lot of case options yet.
    No other phones can compare to it. I haven't bothered with any leaks yet.

Posted via CB10
    True that!!! I live in Malaysia, even I still don't have the Z30, i've already started to find the accessories. But too bad I couldn't find any!! so sad!!

May i know what is your current os version and why you don't "bothered" with leaks? =)

GUYS,

I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you very much for the help.

Just an info, as I said earlier, i like to use photography apps, such as snapseed, vsco, etc. I am a part-time photographer, avid photographer hobbyist, and working in the business dev department. That's the reason I'm eyeing the Z30, for email and hub integration. However, I just read about a bug or glitch that erases the whole HUB! OMG! hope it's not as widespread as reported.

One more thing though, when I use BB 9900, any emails or notifications are instant, actually faster than my computers (MAC and windows), and iphone. I can't remember what is it called, is it push notifications? Just wondering if the Z30 has something like that? I ask because I read around that you can set the sync interval on the z30 from 5mins or 15mins or 30mins. Can it be set to automatically push if there are new emails or notifications, rather than waiting for the sync interval time? In other words, I would like the emails notifications on Z30 to be as fast as when I had Bold 9900.

Irrelevant question, any of you guys is a photographer? any good apps for photographer? hehe
    03-02-14 07:52 PM
    Hello guys.

I'm planning to buy Z30 soon . I've used maemo (n900), android, ios, os7, and windows os. I would like to try BB10 now. But first, before i take the plunge, i would like to ask several questions:

1) To those who have used blackberry Z30 for a period of time (3months or longer), and is a heavy user, did you notice any decrease in performance, such as lags, or freezes? The reason I ask is because like android, it gets slower over time, with occasional hangs like after 5 months of use.

Not at all have had this phone since it launched in Canada few months ago no lag or performance issues here

2) My carrier latest update for Z30 is 10.2.1.537. If compared to the latest os version (10.2.1.2141), are there significant changes or improvements? Should I stick with .537, or update with leaked .2141? Will there be a problem if i update with leaked .2141? What is the worst thing that could happen?

Get 2141 for sure much better .

3) How is the performance of android apps in Z30 with .537 and .2141? I heard there are quite alot of android market clients (snap, 1mobile, sachesi, amazon), which one is the best and most efficient? and I read somewhere that the android's applications that use camera or gallery cannot read SD card in the current os version. Is there a fix?
    The performs amazing....games for some reasons play better than apps lol but big games like dead trigger 2 play perfectly in my phone...snap is the best one and get aptoide and get the bb10 store added he has tons of android games that work and have been tested so you they will work no problem.

One thing though any android apps installed from other sources other than blackberry world will not back up and restore so you will lose that data.

4) I'm not much of a gamer, but it would be great to play games once in a while. Can Z30 handles high-end games such as modern combat 4 (playing this on my ipad), real racing 2, etc? this would be the least important, but doesn't hurt to have though. =D

Yes it can I have batman...real racing 3...epoch....modern combat 4...dead space.....asphault 8 and they work perfectly no glitches or hiccups

5) Is it possible for blackberry to drop the support for android? I ask this because Nokia dropped the support on maemo (N900), which is one of the best phone I have and am still using it at this very moment. Open source, fully customized, etc. Too bad they dropped maemo.

It is but never going to happen anytime soon to be honest.....

6) Not sure if I miss anything, but are there any things that I should know before buying Z30?

That it's just the best device ever....stereo speakers are amazing....battery is great....one thing though if you are installing android apps be careful some of them are big battery drainer and run in the background even after closing them...download task manager from blackberry world it's a android apps where you can kill any android app running in the background but if after u kill it still there and keep on popping up in would delete it.
    I think that's all for now. I'll keep on posting questions if I could think of one. =)

I would really appreciate your feedbacks on Z30.

Thank you very much!!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 09:25 PM
    The only thing I will ad to this ( please keep inn mind I've never used an android phone) but android apps start up a little slower that native BlackBerry apps, however once they fire use they run extremely well in BB10

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    03-02-14 09:34 PM
    Thank you very much aha! Just a question though, would it somehow conflict or create a problem if i use leaked OS rather than the official release?
    I have loaded many many leaked BlackBerry OS here on CrackBerry forum, including BB10 OSs. I have never met an un-resolvable problem.

Especially for BB10, I have never seen a conflict or problem with leaked OS.

That being said, it's always a good idea to backup your data before you install a leaked OS. And it's always a good idea to wait a few days after the leaks coming out, and see what other people say about it.

It's always a good idea to read the instructions carefully before you start the process, if this is your first time.

kbz1960 likes this.
    03-02-14 09:40 PM
    Many thanks for your answers!!!
    03-03-14 04:55 AM
    Thank you all for the answers. You guys have been really helpful!
    03-03-14 06:33 AM
    Coming into my fifth month of ownership.
    It's as outstanding as how it came out of the box. Never felt any decrease in speeds of running any apps be it native or androids.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    03-03-14 06:40 AM
    I have owned my z30 since mid October when it was released in Canada. I would consider myself a medium to heavy user. I watch quite a bit of YouTube and use the browser a ton. Lots of reading on my phone.

At this point I have not noticed any speed loss or lag increases (well I have never had any lag ever yet).

I have not loaded any leaks on my phone. I prefer to wait for official push of updates. Lots of people have no problems but I have seen a few people post on these forums with problems.

In terms of android apps I can't say too much as I only really use Netflix. I am not a huge app guy

Games were fine with the ones I played. Played a couple racers that I got for free but I don't game a lot on my phone .

In terms of photography I wouldn't say the z30 is the best. Okay camera but nothing special. I don't find phones are great for real photography anyways. Real photography requires a dslr and a true editing software imo

Good luck with your decision making

Posted via my Z30
    03-03-14 09:07 AM
    I have owned my z30 since mid October when it was released in Canada. I would consider myself a medium to heavy user. I watch quite a bit of YouTube and use the browser a ton. Lots of reading on my phone.

At this point I have not noticed any speed loss or lag increases (well I have never had any lag ever yet).

I have not loaded any leaks on my phone. I prefer to wait for official push of updates. Lots of people have no problems but I have seen a few people post on these forums with problems.

In terms of android apps I can't say too much as I only really use Netflix. I am not a huge app guy

Games were fine with the ones I played. Played a couple racers that I got for free but I don't game a lot on my phone .

In terms of photography I wouldn't say the z30 is the best. Okay camera but nothing special. I don't find phones are great for real photography anyways. Real photography requires a dslr and a true editing software imo

Good luck with your decision making

Posted via my Z30
    Thank you very much! Really appreciate your reply. That's a relief to hear that the Z30 does not lag or slow down over time.

In terms of photography, I do know that it can't replace DSLR. I do have a full-frame DSLR that I use for weddings, fashion and etc and photoshop and lightroom. What I meant like, does the Z30 has apps for photographers like the iphone has such as Lightrac (lighting conditions, sun and moon position), other photo editor (i heard effectica in BB10 is damn good), mextures, etc2? In other words, apps that would be great partner for photographers. =D
    03-03-14 10:26 PM
    This is why this is the best forum out there. Just read these great helpful answers.
    Carjackd, Deu2e and Adi Marwan like this.
    03-04-14 06:03 PM
    I'd be careful about wanting to play graphical intense android games.

Not that I know for sure but some times I side load complicated apps and it is slow.

Posted via CB10
    Adi Marwan likes this.
    03-04-14 06:49 PM
    This is why this is the best forum out there. Just read these great helpful answers.
    +1000!! I second what you said. Truly the feedback were very helpful and friendly. I still haven't come across the typical "Search this this this. Duplicate thread. There are existing threads." replies from users. Most importantly, i haven't seen the legendary "USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!" reply from anyone in any thread that i browsed. LOL! Everyone replies professionally and in a very friendly manner. I really appreciate that.

I'd be careful about wanting to play graphical intense android games.

Not that I know for sure but some times I side load complicated apps and it is slow.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps. But it would be a bonus if Z30 could handle that kind of games.

Anyway guys, I'm closer to buying Z30 now. I AM going to buy Z30. Only matter of time. Probably by the end of this week, or earlier next week as this week I am super busy.
    kfh227 likes this.
    03-04-14 07:44 PM
    I'm using the android version of Autodesk Sketchbook on my Z10 (which has significantly inferior hardware to the Z30 and a smaller screen), and so far it works great.
    I haven't tried Photoshop Express yet, though.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 08:33 PM
    Thank you very much! Really appreciate your reply. That's a relief to hear that the Z30 does not lag or slow down over time.

In terms of photography, I do know that it can't replace DSLR. I do have a full-frame DSLR that I use for weddings, fashion and etc and photoshop and lightroom. What I meant like, does the Z30 has apps for photographers like the iphone has such as Lightrac (lighting conditions, sun and moon position), other photo editor (i heard effectica in BB10 is damn good), mextures, etc2? In other words, apps that would be great partner for photographers. =D
    Effetica is a great photo editing app. This is coming from a photo enthusiast.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    03-04-14 08:48 PM
    FWIW, my brother in law might get a z30. He played with my wife's and likes it. He doesn't care about games. He cares about communication.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 01:40 PM