I am due my yearly upgrade and went into my local Vodafone store this afternoon with my sister (also upgrading) to check out the Z30.

I am currently using a Q10 which I love, and was either gonna upgrade to the Z30 or upgrade to whatever was going for the most on that popular auction site, and sell it to pocket the profit.

I had never seen a Z30 in store or in person until today. That thing is HUGE. I was not expecting it to be as big as it is.
    I know people have used the term 'phablet' before when describing the Z30 and now I get why.

Unfortunately, my local store didn't have the Z30 in stock so I couldn't really get a proper hands on with it, it was just a display model.
    Having said that, I can't see me switching to something that big. Also, Vodafone UK only stock the white Z30 and I don't think I like it as much as the black.

So yeah! Surprising! Lovely phone aside from the size though. Just wish it was a little smaller!
    02-15-14 10:52 AM
    Realistically, it is something one adapts to very quickly. I remember when I thought a 4.3" screen was almost too much, and now I love having a 5" screen to play on. Don't discount the 'intimidating' factor out of hand, you might be selling yourself short.
    02-15-14 11:39 AM
    If you chat on the phone often with it against your head it's not the most comfortable thing to hold compared to the Z10 or Q10.
    02-15-14 11:42 AM
    I find larger phones hard to use, especially when menus, etc... are put in the top-left corner of the screen. I can only just reach the top-left corner of my Z10's screen with my right thumb, and occasionally brush the lower-right corner in the process.

Keeping it in a pocket is also a bit of a pain. My Z10, not so much.
    02-15-14 01:01 PM
    OP,the fist time I tried a Z30 my reaction was similar. When my local VZW store got them in I went to check it out mainly out of curiosity, as based on posts on these forums I was sure it was too large for me as well. Once I saw it, especially next to the Galaxy series and HTC 1 I thought it actually wasn't too bad.

I handled and explored around on it for awhile and started realizing it didn't feel as large as it looked. The problem was it had a security device with cable attached to the back of it and I wasn't able to handle it properly. I went back the next day to put some more time on it and found the battery dead. The rep was nice enough to go pull one out of stock and let me try it out. Once I had it free of the cable, that was it. I found it not to be too large at all. I don't have large hands and still found it very acceptable, especially after I held it next to a Q10.

I have since had mine for 3 weeks now and have no regrets in the purchase, especially with the benefits of the amazing sound quality, battery life and screen real estate. I have a Q10 issued from work and switching between the two for the last few weeks has not changed my mind.

I will say that the Q10 is what I would call a little more "handy" in regard to retrieving it from the holster and snatching of my desk or truck seat, but not so much that I would consider that factor worth giving up the other features for. I now carry my Z30 in an OEM swivel holster as well as a Defender case with clip holster and have had no issues with size in that regard either.

Phone size opinions are very subjective and a matter of personal opinion and preference . I would recommend handling one as much as possible before deciding against it based on size, as my mind was changed after I got more time on it. I have come to feel it is a nice handling phone and definitely not in the class of a phablet. Good luck.

Edit: What I find ironic is that not too many years ago phones the size of a 9930 were considered too large and many reviewers described talking on one was akin to holding a brick up to your ear. That was when we were migrating from candybar and flip phones.
    redantz, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    02-15-14 01:17 PM
    It does take some getting used to. Don't set barriers man. Get one and adapt. It's well worth the short uncomfortable transition.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing and bungaboy like this.
    02-15-14 01:24 PM
    Yeah its a big phone but you get used to it. It also feels great in the hand too.

Posted Via my Awesome Z30 using CB10
    BergerKing and bungaboy like this.
    02-15-14 01:26 PM
    I've had the Z30 a few months and occasionally I pick up my Z10 and it feels quite small.
    It took a few days for the Z30 to feel completely natural for one handed use.

BTW
    I refer you to this thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=879322

Posted via CB10 using Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    02-15-14 01:51 PM
    If you have tiny hands, the z10 is probably a better fit. I have no issues reaching across the screen. I also always had trouble typing on the z10 with the i and the o getting mixed up. I hope that with the bigger screen my typing will become more accurate. I have had it for about 16 hours now and i think it is starting to work better. It is also heavier, but for battery life, i am willing to accept that trade off.

Z30 on leaked 10.2.1.2102
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    02-15-14 02:12 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't bashing the Z30 in any way - just to be clear.

I imagine it to be fantastic once it is all set up and that delicious screen is on. I do wish that my Vodafone store had some stock of the Z30 but they didn't - however I didn't upgrade and plan to do so next week so hopefully they will have one I can get hands on with it then.

I don't think I am realistically going to upgrade to this device anyway - purely because my Q10 is only a month old and I adore it.
    I have small hands and I definitely think the Z10 is more suited to me - plus my personal opinion is that the Z10 is the better looking device.
    I think I will just do as I originally intended before the Z30 piqued my curiosity and upgrade to the iPhone to sell for profit galore.
    02-15-14 02:25 PM
    As a female, I have tiny hands. I stopped trying to fit smart phones in my pocket in 2008 - I was forced to start carrying bags (Tomboy tendencies out the window. Bleh).
    I adapted to the Z30 quite fast, I love its features so size is not exactly a huge factor to me anymore... and I'm not saying size does not matter.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    02-15-14 02:58 PM
    As a female, I have tiny hands. I stopped trying to fit smart phones in my pocket in 2008 - I was forced to start carrying bags (Tomboy tendencies out the window. Bleh).
    I adapted to the Z30 quite fast, I love its features so size is not exactly a huge factor to me anymore... and I'm not saying size does not matter.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    This is great. Haha.

I'm sure eligible for an early upgrade with Verizon and just went to play with a z30 today. I think it will be my next phone. I made the mistake of trading a z10 for an HTC DNA thinking the screen and camera would be worth it. It was as not. The bb hub and keyboard make up for any shortcoming on that phone. I have every android keyboard and none come close to being able to hammer out emails or messages as well. The messaging is also so clean and for lack of a better term "grown up" and that's comparing to the sense ui which is one of the best looking android skins.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-15-14 03:29 PM
    Oh yeah also the phone is only a hair wider than my DNA. Same height. The DNA does curve more on the back so it feels thinner than it really is.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-15-14 03:30 PM
    Most people get used to 5-inch smartphones. We have been stuck with these small screens so it's natural to be in shock when you first hold a "phablet". My Gnote 3 feels normal compared to phones like the xperia z ultra, lumia 1520 and galaxy mega.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-15-14 04:20 PM
    How about when carrying around in a front pocket? It seems to me that might be uncomfortable with the z30. Opinions?

Z10
    02-15-14 04:48 PM
    I dont wear skinny jeans or baggy jeans feels fine even with slacks. although i dont like carrying my phone in the front pocket. seems harder to access than the "pull straight up" of the back pocket
    02-15-14 04:56 PM
    If you have tiny hands, the z10 is probably a better fit. I have no issues reaching across the screen. I also always had trouble typing on the z10 with the i and the o getting mixed up. I hope that with the bigger screen my typing will become more accurate. I have had it for about 16 hours now and i think it is starting to work better. It is also heavier, but for battery life, i am willing to accept that trade off.

Z30 on leaked 10.2.1.2102
    Hahaha....I had the same typing issue! lol I've been using my Z30 for a few days now and am starting to get used to it. Even with my large hands, its a stretch for me to get all the way across to the left side, especially the upper left side. I do find it is not as crowded for two handed typing though. So far, it still seems just a little to big for my pocket though. I don't typically like to cover up my BB's with cases, but I may have to rethink that with this phone. I'll take the trade offs though. As much as I liked my Z10, I'm really starting to like my Z30. One thing I don't like about it is that I feel like its almost a downgrade to go down to 10.2.0 after having a couple of weeks with 10.2.1... I see you are running the new leak. How is that working?
    02-15-14 05:16 PM
    How about when carrying around in a front pocket? It seems to me that might be uncomfortable with the z30. Opinions?

Z10
    I have an aversion to carrying smartphones in a pocket except a coat pocket, with my work and lifestyle is a guaranteed broken phone. That being said, which pocket are you asking about? Front shirt, jacket, pants? As much as I love the Z30 and don't consider it too large to be practical, it would seem to me to be a little large for a front pocket carry, but some do it.
    02-15-14 05:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I wasn't bashing the Z30 in any way - just to be clear.

I imagine it to be fantastic once it is all set up and that delicious screen is on. I do wish that my Vodafone store had some stock of the Z30 but they didn't - however I didn't upgrade and plan to do so next week so hopefully they will have one I can get hands on with it then.

I don't think I am realistically going to upgrade to this device anyway - purely because my Q10 is only a month old and I adore it.
    I have small hands and I definitely think the Z10 is more suited to me - plus my personal opinion is that the Z10 is the better looking device.
    I think I will just do as I originally intended before the Z30 piqued my curiosity and upgrade to the iPhone to sell for profit galore.
    If you prefer the Z10 then by all means go with it. It's your phone man, go with what you like. No point in getting a phone you already have reservations about, you'll end up despising it and being one of these bitter posters who have no one to blame but themselves for their own decisions
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-15-14 06:00 PM
    No matter what size the device has been... I've always used a headset.
    They're so light and comfortable, I sometimes forget to grab my device until the earpiece tells me I'm out of range.
    And the way, people seem to endlessly be talking on their device, it's gotta be murder on your arm!
    02-15-14 06:15 PM
    I have the z30 now as my daily driver and my z10 for when I need something but don't want to worry about it in the way (example, going for a walk, hike, bar at night). The z30 is just so nice you forget about the size. I also have the note 3 for a while. So compared to that, everything is small. Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 06:24 PM
    It's the perfect size if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    02-15-14 10:19 PM
    If you prefer the Z10 then by all means go with it. It's your phone man, go with what you like. No point in getting a phone you already have reservations about, you'll end up despising it and being one of these bitter posters who have no one to blame but themselves for their own decisions
    QFT. After having the Z30 for a little bit, I'd have no hesitations switching back to the Z10 if I had to.
    Actually, I'll probably make that switch for the summer when I'm a bit more active. (A small part because I think the Z10 is marginally more durable than the Z30, but mainly because the Z10 would be cheaper to fix or replace than the Z30.)
    02-15-14 10:52 PM
    I can't go back to a smaller phone, it pains me each time I have to sideload something on my wife's Z10.
    I thought that the Z30 was big at the beginning but not anymore, perfect size, loving it.

Posted via CB10
    EauRouge likes this.
    02-15-14 11:05 PM
    I can't go back to a smaller phone, it pains me each time I have to sideload something on my wife's Z10.
    I thought that the Z30 was big at the beginning but not anymore, perfect size, loving it.

Posted via CB10
    I'm getting more and more accustomed to my Z30 by the hour...

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 11:16 PM
51 123