Took this today to try to figure out what kind of insect this is... anyone know?

How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140712_154949_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    rickkel likes this.
    07-12-14 09:24 PM
    My Z30 takes some good pictures it's nothing compared to an S4 or S5 camera though as there's a good 5MP difference. I'm obsessed with filters so I'm constantly using filters with my raw pictures

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 09:28 PM
    I have both a Q10 and Z30 and both cameras are pathetic compared to the iPhone 5 or the high end Android devices. BB cameras work fine in full light (still not anywhere near iPhone quality) but the second there is anything but perfect lighting conditions, they absolutely fall apart. It's one of the most disappointing things about BB phones to me.
    I wouldn't say that BlackBerry cameras are "pathetic" When compared to iPhone 5, but everyone has their own opinion.

Here's a video comparison of the 2 devices so that readers can make up their own minds:

This is probably a better video as they include a low light comparison. This one pits the Z10 (same camera) against the iPhone 5s:

Posted via CB10 using my Z30.
    07-14-14 05:53 PM
    The Z30 camera, second the the screen quality, was a big disappointment for me. It was decent enough, but even my iPhone 4S had a better camera and the 5 series blows it out of the water.

Posted with my Q10
    07-14-14 07:55 PM
    How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140713_145657.jpg
    How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140713_145648.jpg

I took these on my Z30. Very nice shots, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 using my Z30.
    07-15-14 04:12 AM
    The biggest difference in "a great photo" will come from the photographer who knows their camera and setting / composition.

I don't pay much attention to Megapixel counts because they seem to be primarily used to compensate for lack of optical zoom. I'm not sure how well these 13MP smartphone cameras capture distant subjects... but I would think it's be better to just get closer if one is looking for "that" perfect shot.

Often the "look" of a photo is due to the processing applied by the camera software and will depend on lighting, focus distance etc. Cameras from different manufacturers are shown to "interpret" identical scenes differently but the images captured can now be adjusted to one's taste on the device itself.

There may be some technical differences that make a camera better than what we have in our Z30 but I've found our hardware great at capturing detail and natural lighting.

I would only pray for improvement to the software so that it's easier, faster to control the good Z30 hardware.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    07-15-14 08:37 AM
    Based on phones I had, Z30 for me is better than htc one m8, xperia z1 compact, xperia z1, sgs3, note2, lumia 920. Some phones are maybe better in low light conditions or other specific conditions, but at the end I think that z30 is much better in daily use. It has quite quick shutter, timeshift, good hdr. I would recomend it definitely.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 09:18 AM
    The biggest difference in "a great photo" will come from the photographer who knows their camera and setting / composition.

I don't pay much attention to Megapixel counts because they seem to be primarily used to compensate for lack of optical zoom. I'm not sure how well these 13MP smartphone cameras capture distant subjects... but I would think it's be better to just get closer if one is looking for "that" perfect shot.

Often the "look" of a photo is due to the processing applied by the camera software and will depend on lighting, focus distance etc. Cameras from different manufacturers are shown to "interpret" identical scenes differently but the images captured can now be adjusted to one's taste on the device itself.

There may be some technical differences that make a camera better than what we have in our Z30 but I've found our hardware great at capturing detail and natural lighting.

I would only pray for improvement to the software so that it's easier, faster to control the good Z30 hardware.
    I agree. The Z10 & Z30 camera is competitive with Android devices as well as the iPhone 5. I suspect that some who are unhappy with the Z30 camera, or believe it to be inferior to the competitors, may not fully understand how to get the best shot from it. I frequently drag the square around to ensure that the camera is focused where I want it & to ensure that the exposure is as I want it to be in mixed lighting conditions. Also, having HDR mode (as do the others) really does improve the range and usefulness of the camera.

I have been in several situations where Android & iPhone users have asked me to send them my pics as they came out better. Not to say that I beat them every time, but I certainly wouldn't categorize the Z30 camera as inferior.
    07-15-14 09:29 AM
    The Z30 camera is actually pretty good. I agree with posters above, the iphone 5c/s does have the best, but the Z30 is still great. I also have an HTC One, and overall, I prefer the Z30's camera. The areas it excels at is auto white balance, both indoors and outside. And HDR exposure. My Android turns indoors into a magenta hue and outside it looks cold and cloudy even on a sunny day. The Z30 gets the colors almost spot on. My HTC/Android takes the ugliest over exposed HDR photos unless you pre-exposure lock in normal mode, then switch to HDR, then take the pic, ... annoying. I'm a photo hobby nut, have quite a few 'real' cameras and the Z30 holds up pretty well to my small point and shoot cameras for web sized images. The only areas it disappoints are 1) close up with flash, it over exposes 2) low light, looks pretty grainy/noisy. 3) Needs more control (like exposure comp adjust, color adjust, contract adjust, etc. Maybe 10.3 official will have that? hope hope

Now one point I just have to comment on, with these teeny sensor phone cameras, less megapixels is superior. The phones have tiny little sensors, the more pixels you cram on there, the smaller they have to be which means more noise, and less dynamic range. Phones should really have more like 2-4 megapixel cameras, but most people think more is better so they keep upping the pixel count to sound impressive when really manufactures are ruining image quality. Megapixel Myth...Understanding The Relationship Between Image Sensor Size And Megapixels
    07-15-14 01:32 PM
    Inferior to other flagships, no matter what the BlackBerry fanboys say.
    07-15-14 01:35 PM
    Here's a comp, I just shot. Low light indoors
    The Z30 color is right on, it uses more noise reduction so the photo is softer, but cleaner. The HTC One over sharpens, so the photo is crisper but has a lot of artifacts, and it's white balance is horrid. Not a hater, not a fan-boy, this is how it actually is. Either one could be fixed in a decent photo editor.
    Attached Thumbnails How's the Z30 Camera?-imag0291.jpg   How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140715_115338.jpg  
    Last edited by ronpfid; 07-15-14 at 02:15 PM.
    07-15-14 02:05 PM
    HDR Comp, just shot these,
    (top one is HTC One, forgot to label it)
    the Z30 photo could be processed to be really nice, the HTC One is lost, the blown highlights are unfixable.
    Attached Thumbnails How's the Z30 Camera?-imag0279.jpg   How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140715_120641_hdr.jpg  
    07-15-14 02:12 PM
    Here's in normal mode, pretty even.
    Attached Thumbnails How's the Z30 Camera?-normal-imag0293.jpg   How's the Z30 Camera?-normal-img_20140715_122948.jpg  
    07-15-14 02:28 PM
    Please keep in mind that we will have new features such as panorama etc once we get new updates, that's why I love BlackBerry as their devices surprise me with new updates that release cool features

STA100-6 WhiteZ30_SA
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    07-16-14 04:17 AM
    Anyone have issues taking close up photos with flash?

It seems that they are always blown out overexposed.
    How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140625_210541.jpg

On the other hand I have taken good pictures without the flash.

How's the Z30 Camera?-img_20140606_181042_hdr_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 06:47 AM
    Inferior to other flagships, no matter what the BlackBerry fanboys say.
    I believe that's a matter of opinion. I also think the Z30 camera (finall!) stands up well to other flagship devices. It was absolutely fair to claim that the legacy BB device cameras were "pathetic" in comparison to iPhone (and other) cameras, but the cameras on BB10's have improved dramatically. While they may not always beat the others, I believe the difference is exaggerated by BB haters. Take a look at the side by side comparison video and then tell me that you truly believe the BlackBerry camera is significantly worse than iPhone's:

When I viewed the video, I gave some shots to BlackBerry and some to the iPhone 5.
    07-16-14 01:09 PM
    IMO, the Z10 has a much better camera than the Z30

Here's a forum about the Z30 being much worse than the Z10 camera. The Z10 had everything right.

forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-z30-f401/comparison-z30-camera-z10-q10-wash-out-colors-grayish-blacks-873561/

I had a Z30 for about a month and returned it to BlackBerry and fixed my broken Z10. I was incredibly disappointed with my Z30. Even in daylight, my Nexus 5 took better photos than the Z30. Now, mind you, it maybe me not knowing what settings to adjust, but, a phone's camera should be easy.
    03-22-15 10:45 AM
    Took some pictures in large dark rooms. A couple of observations.
    1. No need for flash, pictures still came out good.
    2. If you have to use the flash make sure you take pictures that are kind of a far away from you, it just too strong.
    3. Action mode very good.
    4. Panorama mode, non existent before, is really good when take pictures of large family or close ups.
    I believe it is a step forward.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-15 11:42 AM
    2. If you have to use the flash make sure you take pictures that are kind of a far away from you, it just too strong.
    Yes, they need to include some distance based exposure comp. when the flash is engaged. I've had quite a few smart phones and my old iPhone 5c, and current Note 4 were/are the only ones I could use the flash close up without over exposure problems. My Z30 is so bad I never use flash so end up with detail-less noisy images.
    03-22-15 12:27 PM
44 12