I have a Z30 that I think has a defective microphone.

The other end hears a muffled sound while on handset.

I've been reading that the mic is attached to the screen? Or it can also be attached to the middle housing?....

Please help.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 09:27 AM
    You'd be best off looking for an ifixit teardown or something and memorize all the parts in their tutorials

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    FF22 likes this.
    03-10-15 09:36 AM
    Also make sure that there is no lint or other obstruction in the area of the mic (I think there's more than one)
    03-10-15 11:43 AM
    Hi there. Is this for every single call? Do you have any BBM contacts using BlackBerry? If so - please try a BBM Voice Call over Wi-Fi. Also - please try the "BBVE" application (BlackBerry Virtual Assistant - if it's not on your phone already then get it from the Appworld).

It MAY be your Carrier - these steps will help figure that out.
    rickkel likes this.
    03-10-15 11:48 AM
    It may well be lint...but there are many here, myself included that have potentially had the same issue...

My mic started to degrade and within a months time no one could hear a thing - even with my mic right in front of my mouth. I took it into a reputable repair depot. He tested it with a new mic and the issue remained. He could tap with his finger on the mic and hear it clearly on his other test phone...but when speaking into my Z30...he got nothing. This was tested with my old mic,and with a new mic along with a full security wipe to boot.

In the end he figured it was a hardware issue between the noise cancelling mics on the right side and the voice mic...."unrepairable" was the final diagnosis.

I ended up buying a new Z30 from Telus and now have a perfectly good Z30 sitting in a drawer that cannot do what its primary function is...being A Friggin Telephone...!! So I am wondering if I replaced the screen (with a new mic attached), I might get my lame Z30 back into operation...???

hmm

Stk
    03-11-15 08:53 AM
    It may well be lint...but there are many here, myself included that have potentially had the same issue...

My mic started to degrade and within a months time no one could hear a thing - even with my mic right in front of my mouth. I took it into a reputable repair depot. He tested it with a new mic and the issue remained. He could tap with his finger on the mic and hear it clearly on his other test phone...but when speaking into my Z30...he got nothing. This was tested with my old mic,and with a new mic along with a full security wipe to boot.

In the end he figured it was a hardware issue between the noise cancelling mics on the right side and the voice mic...."unrepairable" was the final diagnosis.

I ended up buying a new Z30 from Telus and now have a perfectly good Z30 sitting in a drawer that cannot do what its primary function is...being A Friggin Telephone...!! So I am wondering if I replaced the screen (with a new mic attached), I might get my lame Z30 back into operation...???

hmm

Stk
    I've read that the mic is attached to the screen.... I might try this, I don't think screens are too $$$

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 07:26 AM
    I just did a screen replacement, now the other side can only hear me while the phone is on speaker, passes bbve

Posted by Jzamalot
    03-12-15 02:36 PM
    I had a similar issue, the phone was on warranty, so they changed it. I got it back with a new screen - that means that mic is connected to the screen somehow.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 02:51 PM
    I'm noticing that the sound from the mic is being sent to the earpiece

Posted by Jzamalot
    03-12-15 03:12 PM
    i wonder if it's worth it to try and fix this? it's almost $100 for the replacement screen...

$250+tax for a brand new white Z30.....
    03-17-15 01:31 PM
    Well...what is really strange since I first posted that...I recently updated my Z30 to .1767 and figured I should see if the software had any effect. Tested it out with BVE and Loe and behold it was actually able to record my voice. So I tried a phone call to my wife...Damn if it didn't work.!! Now cant say for sure it was the software..but a month ago the main mic was USELESS as per the Repair depot guy and all that unit has done was sit in a drawer..except for when I updated the software to .1581 and then to .1767.

who knows..??

stk
    03-17-15 01:36 PM
    Just tested the device again.

Speakerphone works on both BBM Voice and phone calls.

However, on handset,
    Phone calls, the sound is low and muffled
    BBM Voice, choppy, then goes low and muffled

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 02:10 PM
    I'm thinking the mic on my screen replacement isn't oem, I did a dumb move by throwing out the old screen before the new one even came

Posted by Jzamalot
    03-17-15 04:28 PM
    I think I'll just take the chance and buy the screen off etrade supply.

I'll probably buy the white screen. It will be like a new phone IF it works. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 11:54 AM
    Sweet! I just replaced the screen on my Z30!

It fixed the mic!

The process was so easy. Thanks CB for the suggestion of replacing the screen and JC for providing us with the teardown video!

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-24-15 10:05 PM
    Is it definite that the microphones are on the screen? I got a low priced Z30 because the seller said the headphone was busted but the problem actually is the normal microphones are broke(headphones are working fine). I used BBVE, hard-reseted, and also updated software and it is broke still so I'm sure it is the hardware itself. I have a new housing-frame coming in the mail tomorrow and wasn't sure if I should bother if it is the screen that definitely has the microphones. Has anyone had bad microphones and fixed it by just replacing the housing?
    04-17-15 06:54 PM
    Just replaced the housing....no dice. Looks like I have to get a new screen/digitizer in the hopes that will fix the mic problem.
    04-18-15 01:59 PM
    When i talk to someone on my phone they can hardly hear me, my voice is all messed up. So i switched the sim from my wife's phone who is on different carrier but it still has the same issue. But everything is fine on a BBM voice call. No issue there. I also just installed 10.3.2.2639 and its still the same issue. BBVE records my voice as being fine, but its not.

Any ideas, any one have a fix for this.

Also, the phone is older so no warranty.
    09-05-15 09:43 AM
    When i talk to someone on my phone they can hardly hear me, my voice is all messed up. So i switched the sim from my wife's phone who is on different carrier but it still has the same issue. But everything is fine on a BBM voice call. No issue there. I also just installed 10.3.2.2639 and its still the same issue. BBVE records my voice as being fine, but its not.

Any ideas, any one have a fix for this.

Also, the phone is older so no warranty.
    It is weird that it works in some instances but not in regular phone calls. I would guess you hold the phone in the same manner when phoning or bbve testing or bbm-ing? Something bad in the phone's circuitry that only occurs when in PHONE mode. What about the Speaker phone - is that okay?
    09-05-15 10:44 AM
    It is so easy to change, have fitted both a new screen and a speaker separately. 15 minutes with a t6 tork and a credit card to separate and it's done. I bought parts from Wholesale gadgets on line. Excellent service and price.
    09-05-15 12:28 PM
    Don't know where you got quoted $100 for screen, I bought one for $35 from Wholesale gadgets.
    09-05-15 12:29 PM
    It is weird that it works in some instances but not in regular phone calls. I would guess you hold the phone in the same manner when phoning or bbve testing or bbm-ing? Something bad in the phone's circuitry that only occurs when in PHONE mode. What about the Speaker phone - is that okay?
    Speaker phone is fine. It's so weird. I'll try and order the mic online and replace it. Although I like this phone a lot, I don't want to buy it again even if it's still on sale. Had it since day one. Served me well.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 11:32 PM
    My wife had the same problem with her z30. You could not hear her when she made a phone call. I ended up swapping my z30 to a passport and gave her mine. Yesterday she dropped the z30 and broke the screen. I used her old one figuring the microphone was broken but the screen was fine. Now that I transferred the screens the mic issue is back. I believe the microphone is for sure embedded in the screen somehow.
    11-07-15 02:57 PM
    Thanks for this lol been wondering what's been happening with my Z30, cracked the screen at the bottom a while back, didnt bother replacing since was at the bottom and had poor call quality no one can hear me clearly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 06:57 PM
    Small update, I was able to fix the microphone issue following these instructions (except I didn't bother replacing the cloth).
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-all-1042707/
    elcangridc and mkiiw like this.
    11-08-15 05:27 AM
32 12