Is there an easy way to replace the HDMI socket on the Z30?

I seem to have bust mine and really miss being able to plug my phone in to TVs when traveling.
    12-09-14 05:56 AM
    Get a Microsoft Display Adapter - it doesn't use hdmi out. Your TV may have a USB power out; if not, get an AC /USB power plug. Also consider other display adapters that are Miracast compatible.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-09-14 07:35 AM
    Check out YouTube.... if you have never done this type of work or have the proper tools, I would suggest finding a local repair shop and have them give you an estimate. This is not something an average person is going to be able to fix themselves.
    12-09-14 07:39 AM
    What these 2 said ^^^^^^
    12-09-14 09:25 AM
    I couldn't find a video on YouTube as to how to do it.

I have changed the screen on both a Z10 and Z30 so, although I'm not a technical genius, I'm not totally incapable :-)

If anyone knows a video on YouTube or can offer any other kind of instructions it will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    12-10-14 03:25 AM
    Looking at a few pictures of the z30 motherboard it would appear that the hdmi port is soldered on. So I guess it will depend on how skilled you are with a soldering iron. If the connections are very fine it may be exceptionally difficult to do by hand.

Have you already been able to source a replacement port? Might not be easy either.
    12-10-14 03:44 AM
    Looking at a few pictures of the z30 motherboard it would appear that the hdmi port is soldered on. So I guess it will depend on how skilled you are with a soldering iron. If the connections are very fine it may be exceptionally difficult to do by hand.

Have you already been able to source a replacement port? Might not be easy either.
    If you're right I don't stand a chance as I doubt I'd be that skilled with a soldering iron - it's been a long time since I even touched one.

I am totally clueless as to how I caused the damage. All I can think is just maybe I have tried to plug the micro usb lead into the wrong slot in the dark, although how it would cause it to be damaged enough to no longer work, go figure. Shame as I love the Z30, but now I feel like I have one that isn't quite all there, if you know what I mean.
    12-11-14 11:57 AM
    If you're right I don't stand a chance as I doubt I'd be that skilled with a soldering iron - it's been a long time since I even touched one.

I am totally clueless as to how I caused the damage. All I can think is just maybe I have tried to plug the micro usb lead into the wrong slot in the dark, although how it would cause it to be damaged enough to no longer work, go figure. Shame as I love the Z30, but now I feel like I have one that isn't quite all there, if you know what I mean.
    Even for an expert solderer, fine circuitry is unworkable without mechanical assistance.
    Sh*t happens, and I guess a broken port is just one of those things.

Since you've changed the screen before, you might as well pop open the device and see how the port is connected. I suspect it may be a highly proprietary hard to get part, so maybe worth looking for a secondhand device with a broken screen or something and switching out the motherboard. Or just selling it on for parts and getting a replacement.

I suppose a lot of people never even use the hdmi port so never run into this problem. It's a cool feature though when you need it.
    yorkshireman2 likes this.
    12-11-14 12:19 PM
    Lots of folks are reporting hdmi port contact problems. Once I get tone, the slightest movement of the connections causes LOS. That is why I love Miracast and my Microsoft Display Adapter ! Also, these findings point to Verizon's strong interest in wireless charging (as opposed to USB charging)and their rumored project with BB on wireless charging. I love my TYLT wireless charger!
    BTW, still not sure hdmi LOS is Z30 connector or cable issue - getting mixed results with 2 different cable manufacturers
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 12-11-14 at 11:45 PM.
    yorkshireman2 likes this.
    12-11-14 04:51 PM
    Lots of folks are reporting hdmi port contact problems.
    Shame as I used it quite a bit on my Z10 and more recently on the Z30.

But hey-ho, I reckon wireless is - as you say - the way to go.
    12-17-14 11:28 AM