Well I'm loving my new Z30 (Verizon 10.2.0.262) except for one thing: advertising has somehow infiltrated my HUB. I saw one post about this in November -- it was thought that one of the installed apps was responsible for allowing this spam -- but there was no resolution in the thread. I have been through my list of apps and permissions and turned off what I think is pertinent, but to no avail. This is beyond annoying ... has anyone else encountered this or know the answer?

I won't list the BB apps I've installed unless someone thinks that would be helpful. And I'm guessing it must be a native BB app and not one I've sideloaded, because this advertising activity seems to be happening headless/in the background.

I've attached some screenshots of what I'm talking about (yeah the font's big in lieu of my reading glasses). Just today there was an Amazon ad and one for a BB app.

Any help is much appreciated -- thanks

Help! Notifications Hijacked by Advertising!-ads.png
    AWR likes this.
    01-04-14 10:49 AM
    You've got a rogue android app it looks like.

Edit: never mind that would be a native BlackBerry App. I hate when other devs do things like that. Hold on...
    01-04-14 10:53 AM
    You installed something by S4BB. I highly recommend deleting anything on your phone that is made by them, and the spam should stop because it's alerts, not emails.
    01-04-14 10:56 AM
    S4BB apps all have a settings menu, top swipe down, that allows for turning promo notifications to the hub on or off.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:21 AM
    S4BB apps all have a settings menu, top swipe down, that allows for turning promo notifications to the hub on or off.

Posted via CB10
    Wish BlackBerry World had a swipe down that allowed turning of S4BB spam lol
    Camelhmpz and edyts like this.
    01-04-14 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies guys -- you were right. The "Search for Amazon" by S4BB was the culprit. I will never download anything from them again -- it really pisses me off that Blackberry allows these app developers to spam us by default. Again, many thanks.
    farskija likes this.
    01-04-14 12:58 PM
    They have like 10 good apps. Otherwise it's all junk to me. At least it isn't as bad as one mobile and amazon spamming me for having apps downloaded and what not.
    01-04-14 01:23 PM
    I was starting to get this annoying crap too. Culprit turned out to be "Search for IMDb", a native BB10 application by our friends, S4BB.
    03-21-14 05:22 AM
    On the legacy BlackBerry's, this advertisement was done via PIN messages.
    You could firewall PIN massages to stop them, but of course this would also effect legit PIN messages.

Any app maker out there reading this:
    If you choose to use advertisement messages sent directly to my device, and not within your app, you might as well just shoot yourself in the foot. I will remove and block your apps, actively spread the word that your app is spam-ware, and NEVER spend a cent with you or your affiliates.
    03-21-14 07:43 AM