Last week I had a bit of Bronchitis. During a long coughing fit trying to sleep, I got a small glass of water and put it on my nightstand. During the night, I knocked it over and that little bit of water found its way to my trusty Z30. It sat there for some time like that until the alarm went off, I picked up my wet phone and couldn't turn off my alarm. Couldn't get the screen to respond at all, I quickly powered it off.

A week later.... Tore the phone apart, in a bag of rice, wrapped in a heating blanket, 5 days.... Lots of moisture was removed, on my occasional checks I could see it on the surface of the baggie. After the 5 days no moisture appeared to be left. Put everything back together and the screen still does not respond. Everything else appears to work 100% normal.

I purchased a new screen and replaced it, but that didn't resolve the problem, so it wouldn't appear to be the display/screen/digitizer.

Thankfully, I upgraded my wife to a Priv and have her Z10 still sitting on my desk. I thought I would back everything up on the Z30 and migrate to the Z10 until I can get a new phone. However, both BB Link and Sachesi appear to require the I be able to unlock the phone, which I can't do due to the screen not responding.

• Is there a way for me to backup the phone while it is locked?
    • Any thoughts about fixing this phone?
    • Am I just out of luck?
    03-07-16 10:18 AM
    The only thing I can think of is to purchase a HDMI cable and connect it to a TV set. Hopefully your phone's settings will allow for it.
    03-07-16 10:48 AM
    If phone boots, try to connect external screen (hdmi tv) to see if system board works or not. You should be able also to connect external USB keyboard to input password and unlock device.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-16 10:50 AM
    I must not have been very clear, the display works perfectly! There is no indication that there is a problem with the phone until you try to swipe or touch it. I can't swipe to wake it, I can press the power/reset button on the top to wake it up, but since I have a lock screen, I can't touch the screen to unlock it.
    03-07-16 10:57 AM
    Just a random thought. Would a mouse connected into an OTG cable allow you to operate the lock screen?
    03-07-16 11:27 AM
    just ordered OTG cable, will be here tomorrow.
    03-07-16 11:46 AM
    I'm interested to know how a mouse functions on a Z30
    03-08-16 05:40 AM
    I'm interested to know how a mouse functions on a Z30
    I've used a Bluetooth mouse - it is kind of fun and interesting.
    03-08-16 08:49 AM
    OK, OTG Mouse did the trick. I can navigate and access my device now... At least I will be able to get everything off of it, but still no idea what would be causing this. I guess something more sensitive than the screen went bad. Is it worth repairing or sell for parts?
    03-08-16 02:25 PM
    If the motherboard took a dive, IMHO it's not going to be worth much more than what you have in the screen.

You could try removing the motherboard and rinse it in deminerialized?? water- followed by isopropyl alcohol to remove any traces of water.
    Last edited by Rustybronco; 03-08-16 at 03:16 PM.
    03-08-16 03:04 PM
    Can't hurt, will give it a shot after I get everything moved to new phone.
    03-09-16 09:51 AM
    I would also closely examine the header where the touch screen connects for any corrosion related issues.
    03-09-16 10:00 AM