Please Help.. After the Verizon OTA update of 10.3.2 (that I had no knowledge was a forced update), my Z30 phone locked itself! I attempted to unlock it with my normal passcode - using the number on the picture combination method - and it did not allow me to gain access. The phone then began to wipe itself! This all happen while I was at work and did not realize a "Forced Update" was happening.

I did not have an encryption on my SD card, but for some reason the card was encrypted and now I am unable to use the files. I have pictures of my deceased parents that I truly would like to save.

A month ago, I did a backup using BB Link and my computer, however it was not able to restore the files on the SD Card. I thought the backup would restore all, but this is not the case.

Is there any way to gain access to the files?? I can see the files on the SD Card (i.e. name, size , type of file) but when I open them, they have symbols that make them un-readable. Is there any software or third party that can assist?

I have saved the file to a sub-directory onto my computer as a back-up precaution, in case whatever method I use totally messes up the pictures & files.

I have not change / switched phones...it is the same phone that performed the update.

I am on Verizon Network and I believe I had 10.1??

The message states that the card was encrypted using another phone, but again, that is not the case.

I love Blackberry and Verizon, but they should have given us the option to back up before they forced this on us. I am very disappointed.

Any and all advise is very much welcomed!!

Thank-you Crackberry family!!
    07-11-15 07:24 PM
    unfortunately, a forced mandate is a mandate. stinks but it shouldn't have done anything to your phone. i took the update and not a thing happened to my card...

i don't know if you can save those pictures. I believe once you wipe and reload, the changes of reading those files are about 0%. You need to periodically make a backup of your SD card if you don't use DropBox or Box for the automatic uploads, tho.
    07-11-15 08:33 PM
    Thank-you... I honestly did not know that the SD Card was not part of the back-up process when performing backup using BBlink.
    07-11-15 08:40 PM
    It shouldn't have done anything to your SD at all, I updated to official update and it didn't mess anything up.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-15 10:18 PM
    It shouldn't have done anything to your SD at all, I updated to official update and it didn't mess anything up.

Posted via CB10
    You are correct. It shouldn't. But when he updated he was locked out of his password. So he CHOOSE to wipe and that's when the issue with the encrypted card came in.. So the update didn't ruin the card, the wipe and reload dis

Black is back, baby. Via my Z30
    07-12-15 03:31 PM
    So... I am guessing there are no third party options for me to get these files and photos?

Thank-you for any help with this..
    07-13-15 10:11 PM
    I hate to say that I think the general consensus is that you're s.o.l. buddy. Sorry to hear about your parents and your newly lost pictures.

After I did the update, my phone said it couldn't read my music anymore or play the sound of the videos I just took of my kids at camp. But thankfully a simple reboot fixed that problem. But you better believe that I backed everything up manually after that and double then triple checked all the files were backed up (I can live without backing up contacts and calendar appointments, but pictures are irreplaceable).

I'm getting into the habit of backing up manually (as in actually dragging and dropping files from my phone to my pc and making sure that they're all working) like once a week now.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-14-15 12:59 AM
    There are alot of 3rd party recovery software. I might try this one:
    Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery

Anything is worth a try.Says it supports BBRY phones, maybe not BB10, tho. It has a free trial.

Good Luck. Hopefully you had other pictures of your loved ones.
    07-14-15 03:23 PM
    There are alot of 3rd party recovery software. I might try this one:
    Memory Card Recovery Software to Recover Lost Photos - CardRecovery

Anything is worth a try.Says it supports BBRY phones, maybe not BB10, tho. It has a free trial.

Good Luck. Hopefully you had other pictures of your loved ones.
    These won't help with encrypted files... pretty sure OP won't be able to recover the files.

Sorry

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 04:13 PM
    I was not happy with the auto update, either. It did not give any time to do a backup or take out the SD card. I was lucky and nothing happened. I had updating off, too. It is ridiculous to lock you out of the phone. My blame is on vzw. Oh, and for the future, Verizon Cloud works pretty well to backup pictures.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 06:23 PM
    I have never tried encryption in BB10, but in legacy BBOS if you type in the old device password you will be able to access the encrypted files stored in media card.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2339
    07-14-15 09:43 PM
    I was not happy with the auto update, either. It did not give any time to do a backup or take out the SD card. I was lucky and nothing happened. I had updating off, too. It is ridiculous to lock you out of the phone. My blame is on vzw. Oh, and for the future, Verizon Cloud works pretty well to backup pictures.

Posted via CB10
    I guess to be fair (although the Mandatory aspect was not very nice), someone did mention that if you did not immediately reboot, you could have run a backup before the OS finished installing. Still, it should not have messed up the sd card mentioned in this thread.
    07-14-15 09:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it gave you 48 hours. You needed to reboot in order to complete the update. If you did not reboot, it would reboot itself in 48 hours. There was time to backup. However, I also had Auto Update turned off, and was not thrilled that it was pushed to my phone regardless and would then be forced into service within 48 hours. The good news is that I suffered no ill effects from the update.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-15 10:25 PM
    Actually, it gave you 48 hours. You needed to reboot in order to complete the update. If you did not reboot, it would reboot itself in 48 hours. There was time to backup. However, I also had Auto Update turned off, and was not thrilled that it was pushed to my phone regardless and would then be forced into service within 48 hours. The good news is that I suffered no ill effects from the update.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know how much time it gave you but I was on vacation. I did not have access to my PC for backup. I was on LTE for a while when I did receive a couple of notifications. When I hit the wifi at my hotel, it updated. So point is, nothing is that mandatory that you can't wait until you are ready to do it. Even android will wait for system updates. I had a notice for 5.1.1 on my Nexus 7 during this same time and it stayed there til I got home and felt comfortable doing it. VZW is playing with fire when they do this stuff.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-15-15 07:22 AM
    I have an unsupported feeling that picture password could add an encryption layer even to your SD card. Could that have been the reason for all your misery? An encrypted SD card cannot restore your data after a wipe, unless decrypted before the wipe. I am sure, you know it. Let us wait to hear from experts within.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-15 07:58 AM
    I don't know how much time it gave you but I was on vacation. I did not have access to my PC for backup. I was on LTE for a while when I did receive a couple of notifications. When I hit the wifi at my hotel, it updated. So point is, nothing is that mandatory that you can't wait until you are ready to do it. Even android will wait for system updates. I had a notice for 5.1.1 on my Nexus 7 during this same time and it stayed there til I got home and felt comfortable doing it. VZW is playing with fire when they do this stuff.
    You're right. If it had happened about a week earlier I would have been in Europe and not happy as, I, too, would not have anyway to backup or restore if something bad had happened. But I was always backing up photos I took on the phone and emailing myself my log of the journey and copies of BB Travel for our itinerary. For the first time, I also copied photos from my camera to my tab and from there to a thumb drive so I had triple copies. The thumb drive was generally in my backpack while out hiking along with my passport (oh, the paper kind!). The Z30 was always on my person or my backpack.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    07-15-15 08:38 AM
    You're right. If it had happened about a week earlier I would have been in Europe and not happy as, I, too, would not have anyway to backup or restore if something bad had happened. But I was always backing up photos I took on the phone and emailing myself my log of the journey and copies of BB Travel for our itinerary. For the first time, I also copied photos from my camera to my tab and from there to a thumb drive so I had triple copies. The thumb drive was generally in my backpack while out hiking along with my passport (oh, the paper kind!). The Z30 was always on my person or my backpack.
    To me, these updates can be quite dicey. I was completely satisfied with the 10.2 and flash browser. That's why I had updates turned off. Last thing I needed was a bricked phone to mess with while on vacation. Sure, the 10.3 Hub improved graphics and delete features are nice but I can do without the more colorful icons. The only other feature I have used is the lift to wake feature. I guess I did get another android app I wanted to work and I had to install Zeus.

People will say you have all sorts of cloud options to back up but really didn't want to do that on vacation. Leave us alone on the July 4th holiday. LOL.

You probably would have been safe if you never contacted wifi while hiking. In retrospect, I should have turned off my wifi while I finished my vacation.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 07-15-15 at 09:05 AM.
    07-15-15 08:50 AM
    You are correct... I had the picture password on my phone and the phone would not allow me back in. I am searching the internet to see if there are any third party software that can help. I have save all the files onto my computer. Again I was not aware that BB Link does not back up SD Cards.
    07-16-15 11:17 PM
    I'm in a similar predicament. I encrypted my sd card and when I updated to the latest os (Q10SQN100-2/10.3.2.858) now I want to use my Z10 but I am not able to decrypt the sd card. I'm thinking of getting a new sd card & just transfer the files over without encrypting it of course.

Whether BlackBerry or Verizon is the culprit, I think I should have been warned to decrypt the card before updating.

Luckily it's just a matter of purchasing a new card & transferring but still a pain. I'm sorry you're going through this op. Best of luck.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 11:41 PM
    Reload your last backup and you should have full access to your sd card.
    08-08-15 07:35 PM