I used to use the digital elf for GPS for my iPhones, which was great for hiking. Is there anything that anyone knows of to be able to use for the z30 that allows topographic maps to be used when there is no cell reception to utilize the GPS network?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:48 AM
    hi,

if i understand you correctly you are looking for a (simple) gps tracker/data logger? on the z30 you might use an app like http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/37171911 (full disclosure, i do not use or am any way conected to the developer). nevertheless you can enable airplane mode without losing the gps tracking possibility. the z30 tend to use more time to lock on the satelites without a-gps but it works quite well although the precision is not comparable to my garmin. and battery might be an additional issue...

regards
    GoodInfo likes this.
    07-28-15 11:17 AM
    Nogago Tracks can "track" or record your route but I think you can only grab the map image when you have data. Although they do sell maps but I'm not sure that they can be downloaded and/or used offline.

Here's what Nogago captures. First without the underlying map image and then when I had data it grabbed maps (free ones)

GPS device(s) for z30?-img_20150623_091944.jpg

GPS device(s) for z30?-img_20150622_115355.jpg
    GoodInfo likes this.
    07-28-15 11:58 AM
    hi,

if i understand you correctly you are looking for a (simple) gps tracker/data logger? on the z30 you might use an app like http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/37171911 (full disclosure, i do not use or am any way conected to the developer). nevertheless you can enable airplane mode without losing the gps tracking possibility. the z30 tend to use more time to lock on the satelites without a-gps but it works quite well although the precision is not comparable to my garmin. and battery might be an additional issue...

regards
    Does that mean that the z30 has true GPS built in?

The iPhone had aGPS and the 'digital elf' was a GPS receiver that allowed true GPS when you plugged it in to the phone and had zero cellular coverage.

Thank you for the quick replies btw!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 01:34 PM
    Nogago Tracks can "track" or record your route but I think you can only grab the map image when you have data. Although they do sell maps but I'm not sure that they can be downloaded and/or used offline.

Here's what Nogago captures. First without the underlying map image and then when I had data it grabbed maps (free ones)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150623_091944.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	364513

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150622_115355.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	364514
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 01:34 PM
    The Z30 does have built in GPS hardware, it only needs network or data to speed up the location sync or to access online mapping, otherwise is it fully stand alone GPS capable.
    Maps.ME is a good offline mapping app, as you can download the map data to your device to use while on or offline, check for it in the Amazon App Store.
    One I have heard of, but haven't tried, is ViewRanger GPS which is more suited to biking/hiking/trailing and is offline mapping capable, look for in the BlackBerry World.
    GoodInfo likes this.
    07-28-15 02:14 PM
    The Z30 does have built in GPS hardware, it only needs network or data to speed up the location sync or to access online mapping, otherwise is it fully stand alone GPS capable.
    Maps.ME is a good offline mapping app, as you can download the map data to your device to use while on or offline, check for it in the Amazon App Store.
    One I have heard of, but haven't tried, is ViewRanger GPS which is more suited to biking/hiking/trailing and is offline mapping capable, look for in the BlackBerry World.
    Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    07-28-15 02:23 PM
    Or just get CascaRun Pro. It will suit all your needs an more. It's native and best for what you're looking for.
    It can use maps from 9 different providers.
    The only drawback is that you need data to get the maps. If you hike without data it will trace everything for you, do countless stats on your walk, but the map will only show up once you're withing range of mobile network.
    You can also download maps in GPX format before the trip if you prepare them.
    07-28-15 02:52 PM
    Or just get CascaRun Pro. It will suit all your needs an more. It's native and best for what you're looking for.
    It can use maps from 9 different providers.
    The only drawback is that you need data to get the maps. If you hike without data it will trace everything for you, do countless stats on your walk, but the map will only show up once you're withing range of mobile network.
    You can also download maps in GPX format before the trip if you prepare them.
    Thank you for that information, but I already have CascaRun Pro.

I was looking more for true topographic maps / gps option and also wasn't aware that the z30 had actual GPS and not aGPS. I have a list from the previous posters confirming that and software.

I tried canada topographic from the Google store for my purposes.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 09:45 AM