Once I get my BB 10 device unlocked - can I use it with ANY data plan? In other words, I do not have to update to a Bell BlackBerry data plan ... which would be far inferior to what I have now :S
    02-05-14 10:42 AM
    Once I get my BB 10 device unlocked - can I use it with ANY data plan? In other words, I do not have to update to a Bell BlackBerry data plan ... which would be far inferior to what I have now :S
    BB10 phones do not require any special dataplan. That was only for Legacy devices. They required BIS or BES....
    BB10 just uses a standard dataplan the same as the iphone or android.

So short answer: Yes ANY dataplan will work.
    02-05-14 10:49 AM
    T-Mobile charges $5 extra for her z10 in our family plan

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 11:37 AM
    Just the z10? Or any LTE phone?
    And is the plan unlimited??
    02-05-14 11:43 AM
    I have a new Z30 locked to bell.. My current plan is a 6GB smart phone plan. They said if I wanted to "upgarde" i had to switch... to a more expensive plan.

However I also read what stabstabdie said - data is data. So once unlocked, I'm good to go? Looks like yes!
    02-05-14 12:32 PM
    What do you mean bell said you had to switch??
    Is your current 6gb a BIS? From when you had a legacy device??
    I had to switch from BIS To a standard data plan the same as any iphone or android.
    That's it though.
    Maybe you have a plan they no longer offer and they are telling you any changes to your account will end this plan.
    My friend is with bell, has unlimited data and was flat out told the next time he tried to upgrade his iPhone, they will take away his unlimited. He has been grandfathered in and may only keep unlimited I'd he doesn't make changes to his account. He now buys his phones unlocked and in full in order to keep unlimited data.
    02-05-14 12:39 PM
    When you say upgrade, what are you referring to? A new subsidized device?
    02-05-14 12:39 PM
    Just the z10? Or any LTE phone?
    And is the plan unlimited??
    500mb plan. We only have berries. My z30 is the primary. They said it's for bis even though I explained she only uses Gmail

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 12:41 PM
    500mb plan. We only have berries. My z30 is the primary. They said it's for bis even though I explained she only uses Gmail

Posted via CB10
    Ummm, z10 doesn't use bis.
    Only legacy devices.
    It may be $5 to add any device to a family plan. So you pay for data and $5 per device.

I don't know how you get by with two bb10 phones and only 500 mb...
    02-05-14 12:48 PM
    I have an Adroid phone now and want to move to a BB Z30 - which I also have now but it is locked to Bell. When I put my SIM card in, voice works and txt, but no data. I called Bell on it and they said I had to swtich to a BB data plan. My plan is to unlock the Z30 so I don't have to make any plan changes.
    02-05-14 01:12 PM
    When you say upgrade, what are you referring to? A new subsidized device?
    Right. I have a subsidized Z30 that I want to switch to from Android.
    02-05-14 01:13 PM
    So. It is unlocked now, but still says "Bell - Voice Only". When I pop the SIM back into my Android - no problems at all.
    02-05-14 02:03 PM
    Weird. Must be a bell thing.
    They had to remove my BlackBerry data plan when I upgraded to bb10 with rogers.
    02-05-14 02:13 PM
    You have to change the apn settings. At best, that will work if you get the right ones from bell.

At worst they are still using the blackberry apn. If so, then you might have to get a special plan either way.

Via Z30 10.3.0.1337
    02-05-14 02:16 PM
    My wife is on Bell and her Q10 account shows 1x Rim provisioning. You may need the Rim provisioning for a BlackBerry, even a BB10, to work on Bell. Whether they will put the RIM provisioning on without changing your plan may be the problem.

If you bought the phone outright and they did not subsidize it, you should insist they put the Rim provisioning on your account or give you an equivalent BlackBerry Plan at the same price. There was a huge thread about this when the Z10 came out, mostly people on the old iPhone plans not wanting to loose the large data allotment they had by switching to a smaller BlackBerry Plan at the same price or paying more for their existing data. Not sure how it got resolved.

It is not really clear, but are you on Bell, your profile shows Orange?
    02-05-14 02:31 PM
    Weird. Must be a bell thing.
    They had to remove my BlackBerry data plan when I upgraded to bb10 with rogers.
    They don't have to remove it on Rogers, as it doesn't matter for the OS10 phones. I kept it on my Rogers account so I can use my SIM in the 9900. If you remove it, you will not get data with the SIM in an older BBOS phone.
    02-05-14 02:38 PM
    So. It is unlocked now, but still says "Bell - Voice Only". When I pop the SIM back into my Android - no problems at all.
    Go to Settings | Network and Connections | Mobile Network. At the bottom hit the APN (Gear Icon).

Under Access Point Name (APN) enter pda.bell.ca ​and hit Save at top right.

Should work if you're unlocked.
    02-05-14 03:37 PM
    What do you mean bell said you had to switch??
    Is your current 6gb a BIS? From when you had a legacy device??
    I had to switch from BIS To a standard data plan the same as any iphone or android.
    That's it though.
    Maybe you have a plan they no longer offer and they are telling you any changes to your account will end this plan.
    My friend is with bell, has unlimited data and was flat out told the next time he tried to upgrade his iPhone, they will take away his unlimited. He has been grandfathered in and may only keep unlimited I'd he doesn't make changes to his account. He now buys his phones unlocked and in full in order to keep unlimited data.
    Your friend sounds like me. Can't beat unlimited data

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 08:00 PM