The average consumer doesn't want to side load Snap. This needs to be more readily available.

Can't someone make a website that let's you install it directly to your bb10 phone somehow? So you can simply do it?

And upgrading to new versions should be just as easy.

Posted via CB10
    uktivo likes this.
    02-20-14 08:39 AM
    Dan, did blackberry say that you can't side load leaked OSes?

10.2.1.latest is definitely nicer.

I'm on a z10 and my wife has a z30. She loves it. And tinkering with it, I am jealous.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:41 AM
    Thx to Dan for the fair review, it was a very interesting read. I tried WP first after moving on from iPhone 4 before finally switching to BB10, and I have been loving the experience! Best smartphone OS I have ever tried, period!

Posted using my red Zed 10 and Z30
    02-20-14 08:59 AM
    The average consumer doesn't want to side load Snap. This needs to be more readily available.

Can't someone make a website that let's you install it directly to your bb10 phone somehow? So you can simply do it?

Posted via CB10
    There are tons of android apk repositories around the web. You don't have to sideload apps anymore. You download them to your device and install them like any other app.

Posted via CB10
    skynny70 likes this.
    02-20-14 09:07 AM
    you know, an easier solution to your problem would be just to swap the microSD cards
    Yes but that still doesn't move 30+gb of files off the card to make room for more videos and pics. So your suggestion isn't a solution at all. And the reason i need to use the 32 in the Gopro is because it's a higher speed card for higher quality recordings, so my phones sandisk ultra will not function as good as the Gopros sandisk extreme.

Alternatively. If all i wanted to do was share the content, then yes i could swap cards and share and then swap back.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    02-20-14 09:26 AM
    That is a very cool - need to try that. Could see using this when traveling - just carry phone, keyboard and mouse, Miracast Dongle. At hotel plug Miracast dongle into TV and have a computer in your pocket with a large screen TV. What Miracast device do you guys use? I see the Belkin mentioned a good deal. Thanks.
    Saw this example on youtube a while back, this guy uses a netgear dongle

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:32 AM

Sent from my awesome Z30

BB Proud
    02-20-14 09:38 AM
    He didn?t even mention the removal media slot!

Plus,...he should have done his home work,...
    Loaded,...10.2.1.1925,..
    plus Snap...and some Android apps. FWIW, many had Netflix up and running on their OS 10 BBs even before Snap. Just say'n.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:42 AM
    I joined your site, Dad, because I really like your openness to new experiences. As a BlackBerry user, I of course liked the review.

10.2.1 OS is not a leak anymore. Our problem here in the states is the ridiculous lack of carrier support, not only in phones offered, but in their insistence to "test" the OS. I have been running 10.2.1 leaks since they first appeared with no problem. Right now I am running the latest official 10.2.1.2102 software release from Vodaphone on my AT&T phone with no issues. I have a feeling carrier "testing" is company speak for "we don't care what BlackBerry people want. If we don't release the update in a timely manner, maybe they will switch to another phone."

Anyway, you might try loading up the OS from Vodaphone so you can see what's coming.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    02-20-14 10:01 AM
    Really good! Just shows the good and bad sides of the phone.. the app "problem" is now solved with 10.2.1.2141 so there ain't no reason not buying the BlackBerry z30

Posted via CB10 for my beloved Z30 running 10.2.1.2141
    5" screen with 1280x720...
    02-20-14 10:14 AM
    Sharing on Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    I shared yesterday on Facebook too.
    02-20-14 10:21 AM
    Awesome, unbiased review. Really enjoyed it. Subscribed to your YouTube channel

Enjoy your stay in CrackBerry!
    DadDoes likes this.
    02-20-14 10:31 AM
    I LOVE my Z10... but, gosh darn it... NOW I want/need a Z30! ** sad face **

DAD, thanks for posting... subscribing to your blog and YouTube Channel tonight.
    skynny70, DadDoes and zyben like this.
    02-20-14 11:14 AM
    I really enjoyed watching this. BlackBerry needs to do this on a large scale. I really believe, especially now with Android apps, that a lot of people would really like BB10 devices if they would just give them a chance. Obviously not everyone would just jump on board, but some will and it would probably change a lot of people's perception of the brand.
    02-20-14 11:23 AM
    Sorry if this is a thread hijack but I keep reading comments in this and other threads that Verizon has not released 10.2.1. I have a Z10 on VZW and have had 10.2.1.1925 for weeks. Did VZW not release 10.2.1 for the Z30 as well? Did only some Z10 users get an official 10.2.1 release from VZW?
    02-20-14 11:30 AM
    people get OBSESSED WITH LARGE SCREENS. Once they go big they can't go back. This is good news for BB because BILLIONS of Iphone 4S users will need to upgrade soon. If we could just catch 10% of them the comeback CONTINUES.
    02-20-14 11:46 AM
    And congrats for making it to the front page..

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    I always figured if I was on the front page of something, it would be a shot of me in handcuffs
    02-20-14 12:27 PM
    Perhaps the best evidence the BlackBerry makes you more productive is this forum. What else could explain how you guys manage to keep up with these threads, make intelligent comments and I have to assume still have a life! Clearly it is the power of your BlackBerry devices that allows you to do all this. I'm trying to keep up with this one thread and worry I might forget to pickup my kids at school...or worse, forget I have kids.

Been reading all your great comments, don't want to monopolize things by responding to each one...and as a side note, is there a way to quote multiple people in one post? If there is, please post a link that explains how to do that. Couple of quick points...

1. BlackBerry Did NOT Stop Me From Loading 10.2.1

I think here or in comments elsewhere I have probably incorrectly referred to 10.2.1 as a "leaked release". That was just me being wrong (again). I get now that it is available from lots of carriers, including Verizon in the US on the Z10, just not on the Z30. Why, I have no idea? But does anyone really know why Verizon does what it does? Okay, must stay focused. Anyway, I get now that 10.2.1 has been available for a while as an official release on many phones and via many carriers.

The reason I did not install it for the review, is because the "average" user will pull the Z30 out of the box, turn it on and use it. I get installing the 10.2.1 does not void anything, still I wanted to capture the average user experience. I hit "Check for Updates" on my Z30 today and it still says I have the most current software (10.2.0) - so most people will leave it at that.

2. Yes, I Clearly Need to Do An Updated Video When I Have 10.2.1

Based on all people have said here and elsewhere, it really would not be accurate to leave the review at 10.2.0. Still using the Z30 and when I have 10.2.1 from Verizon, will do a follow-up review. Taking notes on all the great tips you have posted here, will try to include in video.

3. Just Me, Or Anyone Else See A Weird Parallel To The Apple World Of The 90's

I'm new here, so maybe this gets discussed all the time, but I find the parallel to the old Apple vs Microsoft days ironic. I'm a Dad, so I'm old enough to remember the 90's, when everyone was on the PC, expect for a few designers and art types on the Mac. The PC was the standard. Endless software for the PC. People in the Mac world loved their machines and most people even agreed that the Mac experience was superior, but there was not enough software for the Mac. People had friends who all used PCs and they worried about being able to run their software and share files if they went over to the Mac. There was even talk of Apple going bankrupt back in the day, because why would people ever leave the Microsoft/PC world to go the Apple world?

Like I said, I am sure others have talked about this at length, but just find it funny how the tables have turned. Here I am, an iPhone user saying that the Z30 is a superior phone in many ways, the BB OS is superior in many ways, but I am worried about leaving the iOS world where all the apps are and all my friends live. Hmm, funny how things change.

Sorry, this is getting way too long - I'll go back to reading your comments.

Thanks,
    Dan
    02-20-14 01:10 PM
    Fair enough. The fact you are here tells me BB10 has it's hooks in you. They call it CrackBerry for a reason. Welcome. Now load 10.2.1.2141 and Snap to solve that app gap.

Posted using my Peerless BlackBerry Z30
    Crack? Where?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    02-20-14 02:54 PM
    you know, an easier solution to your problem would be just to swap the microSD cards
    Really? Wouldn't the Gopro just overwrite for phone data? Not a chance I'd take.

02-20-14 02:59 PM
    It is a nice community as long as you don't comment "first", make no grammar/spelling errors, don't post about your love for any other device/software, or vent any frustration about BlackBerry software or hardware.

Posted via the almighty Z
    Oh crap! You wrote the unwritten rules. Now we're all in danger! Didn't anyone tell you not to do that right after your initiation ceremony?

02-20-14 03:07 PM
    Awesome! I am just impressed that you came up for the challenge without many preconceptions or hangups. I don't know if I could leave my Z10 for an iPhone or Android for a full week. You are very brave, my friend!

My question is: As a user of a device, any device, you have to conform to how the device works. Over hours or days, we all learn to do that to some extent, but often we miss how this and that worked. What would you say are the top 5 biggest things you missed on the Z30 that is present on the iPhone? I know apps will be one, so skip that one Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    02-20-14 04:13 PM
    Really? Wouldn't the Gopro just overwrite for phone data? Not a chance I'd take.

I think it just ads new folders, but this is another reason I don't want to chance it by doing a swap, I would rather keep my high speed card in the Gopro, since that's what I bought it for.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 04:40 PM
    I think it just ads new folders, but this is another reason I don't want to chance it by doing a swap, I would rather keep my high speed card in the Gopro, since that's what I bought it for.

Posted via CB10
    It makes total sense to keep them in their intended devices.

02-20-14 05:39 PM
    Yet more thanks Dan for the great review of our beloved Z30. I just got mine two days ago and love the wireless charging feature the most.

I wanted to let you in on one of the best kept secrets of BlackBerry phones that until BBM went cross-platform was available only to us CrackBerrians. Since you have a family and I'm sure not everyone has a BlackBerry, I'd recommend everyone in your family install BBM on their phones. Then create a BBM Group (you can call It Dad's Family) and invite everyone into it. Here are some of the best features:

1. Instantly everyone in your Group has a shared calendar on their device that when one person enters an event (i.e. "Soccer match at 11:00 AM"; "BBQ at grandma's on Saturday 12:00") everyone's phone is automatically updated with that event, including customizable notificatons that everyone gets. This prevents double-booking and has saved our family untold hours of teeth gnashing.

2. Send just one BBM message to the Group and everyone gets it (i.e. "Hey guys - dinner is at 6:00 tonight - get your rears home").

3. You can post photos that eveyone can see

4. You can create multiple lists for "to do" chores and shopping lists. The tasks can also be assigned to anyone in the Group with due dates when they need to be done.

BBM Groups is an invaluable organization tool that isn't very well advertised by BlackBerry. I'd guess a fair percentage of people reading this that have had a BlackBerry for years don't even know the power of this feature.
    DadDoes, anand_ma and GlennClausen like this.
    02-20-14 06:13 PM
228 ... 23456 ...