Hello... I just switched from an Android device to a Z30 last week, so I'm still new, and a forum search didn't produce the results that I am looking for.

When on the dialpad, I'm used to having the letters associated with the number key search through the contacts to help me find the person that I want to call. So, if I want to call Steve I'd start dialing 783 for STE and I could find the appropriate Steve that I want to call. This doesn't seem to work on my Z30. What I've been doing is going to the contacts tab, go to S, then scroll to find Steve, then pick the number, as the dialpad seems to look only for the person's number. This seems very time consuming and cumbersome for such a streamlined OS, which leads me to believe that there is a better way.

So, my questions are:
    1. Does the dialpad have a setting that can make it work like my Android devices?
    2. Is there a faster/better way that my Z30 has that I just don't know about?

Thanks in advance!
    01-30-15 10:55 AM
    Update to 10.3.1.2072, it brings that feature and more. Good Luck! Welcome to the CB forums!
    01-30-15 11:04 AM
    Update to 10.3.1.2072, it brings that feature and more. Good Luck! Welcome to the CB forums!
    Not to contradict, but unless I'm missing something on my Z30 with 10.3.1.2072, his #1 isn't addressed. If you start dialing a number, it will only give you results with the same phone number and has no relation to the persons name (i.e. you can't dial '783' for 'Steve' as per his example).

To the original post, form the phone app, you only have three options:
    1) Call Log: Allows you to see your recent calls and you can initiate a call to someone in that log. Plus you have your 'favourite' shortcuts here.
    2) Contacts: Search for a contact using the keyboard to type the name or scroll.
    3) Dial Pad: Dial the number or start typing the number and it will give you a drop down option to see all contacts with the numbers you are dialing.

I can't remember how it was on 10.2.1 so I'm not sure what, if anything, has changed but it would seem the 'dial pad' option in Android covers more than what BB10 does since it will only give you phone number results and not contact results.

On the flip side though I remember before Android 4.4.4 (or maybe 4.4.3) that the native phone app sucked as the shortcuts to Contacts was at the end of your call log so you had to scroll down to the bottom to get access to your contacts list which was a real pain. Made it a real pain when I was using my Android phone so I was glad when they fixed that and brought the shortcut to Contacts up to the top.
    01-30-15 03:05 PM
    It is very similar to what I believe OP is looking for. It's a lot better than 10.2 which never had this feature in the phone dialing portion of the phone app.
    01-31-15 08:43 AM
    Thanks for getting replies. I could have sworn that my old Curve 8900 worked like the Android devices. Luckily, it's still around. And... it does. How is it that the developers thought that it was a good idea to remove this feature???

Posted via CB10
    01-31-15 12:52 PM
    Thanks for getting replies. I could have sworn that my old Curve 8900 worked like the Android devices. Luckily, it's still around. And... it does. How is it that the developers thought that it was a good idea to remove this feature???

Posted via CB10
    A number of "features" of the older OS were dropped or not included. Some speculate that an entirely new team developed the OS and did not realize what some of the older prized features were. And even if early alpha or beta testers suggested their inclusion, the developers had enough to try getting the OS working and out-the-door. Also, the absence of a real keypad/board probably defined/limited what was included.
    01-31-15 04:29 PM
    You can do what you want with the universal search if you are on 10.2.2 or below.

Posted via CB10
    JORENO likes this.
    02-01-15 10:44 AM
    from the home screen... type "call Mary jane"

that's the fastest way
    02-01-15 10:47 AM
    You can enter directly the numbers and the contacts will be displayed. And the you can choose.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 10:49 AM
    You can do what you want with the universal search if you are on 10.2.2 or below.

Posted via CB10
    This seem like the best way.
    02-01-15 10:57 AM